ADVERTISEMENT

Logan Smothers

I think you missed the point of the discussion. It wasn't on whether or not the coach should have a talk with the everyone in the room.

Maybe you should go back to criticizing guys who slow brag about their donations with your own donation slow brag hypocrisy.
You're correct, Rhule talked to every QB in the room right before the spring game and told them where they stood. Smothers was 4th string. He decided to leave and go play for a low level team in his home state. Again this is exactly what every new coach does when he takes over. Smothers was never going to start here and was never going to pass, Purdy, then Haarberg and then Sims.

As far as bragging bout my donation, I was calling BS on the dude. The donor has control over which player and what sport gets their donation.

You're correct, Rhule talked to every QB in the room right before the spring game and told them where they stood. Smothers was 4th string. He decided to leave and go play for a low level team in his home state. Again this is exactly what every new coach does when he takes over. Smothers was never going to start here and was never going to pass, Purdy, then Haarberg and then Sims.

As far as bragging bout my donation, I was calling BS on the dude. The donor has control over which player and what sport gets their donation.
CT and Smothers were both coming off surgery for their injuries.. and if Matt Rhule's evaluation skills tell us anything, then I am right again.. he made the offense worse when he came to Nebraska, and it has been easy to see for anyone who wasn't lapping up the Rhuleaid.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
CT and Smothers were both coming off surgery for their injuries.. and if Matt Rhule's evaluation skills tell us anything, then I am right again.. he made the offense worse when he came to Nebraska, and it has been easy to see for anyone who wasn't lapping up the Rhuleaid.
Get it through your head that Casey was going to play for Herman who recruited him out of texass..Kind of a no brainer why he wouldn’t stay in Lincoln.

So you as a new coach were going to go with 2 injured QBs, Purdy and Haarberg as your QBs? Thompson was no threat in the run game, which led to the offense averaging about 120 yards per game on the ground.

Clearly the turnovers are hindering the team with regards to scoring but 2022 Nebraska offense averaged a mere 243 yards per game 2/3 of which were through the air, most of those yards were to one receiver (who is no longer on the roster).

You act as though the 2022 Nebraska offense was some sort of juggernaut.

So you as a new coach were going to go with 2 injured QBs, Purdy and Haarberg as your QBs? Thompson was no threat in the run game, which led to the offense averaging about 120 yards per game on the ground.

Clearly the turnovers are hindering the team with regards to scoring but 2022 Nebraska offense averaged a mere 243 yards per game 2/3 of which were through the air, most of those yards were to one receiver (who is no longer on the roster).

You act as though the 2022 Nebraska offense was some sort of juggernaut.
Nope.. I didn't say those things..

I would not have recruited Sims, I would have kept CT, Smothers, and HH.. I would have sent Purdy packing.

I also would have sent Rahmir and possibly Grant packing, and would have kept Yant and A.J Allen.

I don't act as if the offense the prior year was any good at all, (you sure like to put words in people's mouth) but I damn for sure would not go out and make the offense worse, which is what he has done.

Reactions: pascal
Get it through your head that Casey was going to play for Herman who recruited him out of texass..Kind of a no brainer why he wouldn’t stay in Lincoln.
Only after finding out that the new coach wasn't interested in him being the starter.

Shame of you all for not holding our new coach accountable for the mess he has already created on offense...

Right out of the gate failure.

• Haha
Only after finding out that the new coach wasn't interested in him being the starter.

Shame of you all for not holding our new coach accountable for the mess he has already created on offense...

Right out of the gate failure.
Okay Mike Riley..

Thompson seen in the spring how we were going to run the football he wanted no part of it..

Rhule had 'talks' with everyone in the room.. and this was Before the spring game. Those guys knew they were not getting any interest whatsoever and that the starter was decided before anyone had done anything to earn it.

Why stick around when the HC is going to be like that?

It's so easy to see that Rhule made the offense worse when he arrived here.. but most everyone here ate up the press and Rhuleaid all off season. I watched you all gorge yourselves on it. SMH
Funny thing is as bad as Frosty was, the team average 36 points a game the first 3 games before het got fired last year. What Nebraska fan wouldn't give for our offense to put up 36 points in a game this year.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Okay Mike Riley..

Thompson seen in the spring how we were going to run the football he wanted no part of it..

Sorry but this doesn’t seem likely. Casey turns 25 this year. He’s a 6 year starter. He’s already played the rotating QB bit in TX with Card. He was never going to stay without being named the starter. At the end of last year, he even played with quitting football. He was never going to stay in Lincoln for a QB battle. And I don’t blame him. No one should. This is his last chance at playing football. The minute Rhule signed a transfer it put CT on alert

And CT should have been assured he was the starter going into fall. The best thing for everyone would have been to RS sims and roll the dice he has 2 years left after. Would have been extremely beneficial to Jeff, the team this year, the team next year, and beneficial to CT. Rhule acted like Jeff was an NFL ready QB and he just isn’t. He’s got talent. Someone needs to teach him and you can’t do that in one spring

Last edited:

I would not have recruited Sims, I would have kept CT, Smothers, and HH.. I would have sent Purdy packing.

I also would have sent Rahmir and possibly Grant packing, and would have kept Yant and A.J Allen.

I don't act as if the offense the prior year was any good at all, (you sure like to put words in people's mouth) but I damn for sure would not go out and make the offense worse, which is what he has done.
So you were going into the season with 3 QBs, 2 of who were coming off injuries. Got it.

What’s Yant doing these days?

Rolling burritos?

• Haha
Reactions: NikkiSixx
So you were going into the season with 3 QBs, 2 of who were coming off injuries. Got it.
there you go again, saying things that I didn't say. I said nothing about looking in the portal for another guy.. Surely I would have looked around.. maybe picked up someone.. maybe not.

Look I know you said earlier this year that you were really excited for the season and believed in the head coach and all. Maybe it can all be salvaged.

there you go again, saying things that I didn't say. I said nothing about looking in the portal for another guy.. Surely I would have looked around.. maybe picked up someone.. maybe not.

Look I know you said earlier this year that you were really excited for the season and believed in the head coach and all. Maybe it can all be salvaged.

You wrote “I would not have recruited Sims, I would have kept CT, Smothers, and HH.. I would have sent Purdy packing”

Your points have been that Rhule is making the offense worse and that recruiting Sims and letting Smothers and Thompson leave were the reasons why. Then when pressed on what you would have done differently you responded with the above quote. IF adding An additional QB via the portal was part of what should have been done, I would have thought that would have been the perfect time to add that piece to you argument. But instead you try to argue through omission.

You wrote “I would not have recruited Sims, I would have kept CT, Smothers, and HH.. I would have sent Purdy packing”

Your points have been that Rhule is making the offense worse and that recruiting Sims and letting Smothers and Thompson leave were the reasons why. Then when pressed on what you would have done differently you responded with the above quote. IF adding An additional QB via the portal was part of what should have been done, I would have thought that would have been the perfect time to add that piece to you argument. But instead you try to argue through omission.
You have to remember, this is the same guy who thinks Whipple cost Mickey Joseph the Husker HC job even though Whipple wasn't going to be retained.

Sorry but this doesn’t seem likely. Casey turns 25 this year. He’s a 6 year starter. He’s already played the rotating QB bit in TX with Card. He was never going to stay without being named the starter. At the end of last year, he even played with quitting football. He was never going to stay in Lincoln for a QB battle. And I don’t blame him. No one should. This is his last chance at playing football. The minute Rhule signed a transfer it put CT on alert

And CT should have been assured he was the starter going into fall. The best thing for everyone would have been to RS sims and roll the dice he has 2 years left after. Would have been extremely beneficial to Jeff, the team this year, the team next year, and beneficial to CT. Rhule acted like Jeff was an NFL ready QB and he just isn’t. He’s got talent. Someone needs to teach him and you can’t do that in one spring
I was a big supporter but why should he have been assured as the starter? Dude wasn’t Tom Brady and this is a rebuild with a new scheme. I think he was better than what we have but let’s go ahead and make everything a competition.

You have to remember, this is the same guy who thinks Whipple cost Mickey Joseph the Husker HC job even though Whipple wasn't going to be retained.
Same guy who also predicted purdy better than CT. He thought CT was useless based on interviews.

Basically he didn't like the hire and will take every opportunity to make it known.

I didn't like the hire either and I'm not happy with first 2 games, but holy hell I'll still give the guy more than 2 games.

Everyone is talking about how Rhule should’ve kept Casey… when Casey left on his own volition.

Isn’t the true sin that he didn’t vie to keep Logan Smothers… a running QB who seems to fit what Satterfield wants to do better than HH or Chubba?
I would rather have Torres back. I liked Smothers but we need guys that can pass. Either we recruit and develop throwing QBs or we stop running this offense. It's very hard to find anyone that can run and pass both at a high level. Frost recruited guys like McCaffrey and Smothers in back to back years that were 90% runners and that is part of what we are dealing with now. McCaffrey finally accepted a reality that all of us wish he could have accepted while still here because we could sure use him at WR.

Reactions: NebChicago
I would rather have Torres back. I liked Smothers but we need guys that can pass. Either we recruit and develop throwing QBs or we stop running this offense. It's very hard to find anyone that can run and pass both at a high level. Frost recruited guys like McCaffrey and Smothers in back to back years that were 90% runners and that is part of what we are dealing with now. McCaffrey finally accepted a reality that all of us wish he could have accepted while still here because we could sure use him at WR.
People forget that mccaffrey led us to frosts best win in 2020 vs Penn st

Frost was just too meek to stick with him

I'm not

AM's best win came his frosh year when the offense scored zero TDs (9-7 vs sparty)

Luke's win vs pennst was easily frost's best win

had he stuck with luke over AM, who knows what would've happened

Ya know I had not considered this but now that i'm reading it...have to agree. But i'm all ears, if Frost had a bigger win I'd like to know what it was.

Reactions: king_kong_
I'm not

AM's best win came his frosh year when the offense scored zero TDs (9-7 vs sparty)

Luke's win vs pennst was easily frost's best win

had he stuck with luke over AM, who knows what would've happened
Luke did get the next start versus Illinois and what happened there?

I don't exactly remember, but it likely wasn't worse than what AM had/would've done
Lost a fumble on the first play of the game. Threw three interceptions after that. Got our asses kicked by a crappy Illinois team cuz their coach had Luke figured out.

Let’s also not forget hat Penn State sucked that year. They were winless at that point. Our win at Purdue later in the season was probably a better win imo.

Lost a fumble on the first play of the game. Threw three interceptions after that. Got our asses kicked by a crappy Illinois team cuz their coach had Luke figured out.

Let’s also not forget hat Penn State sucked that year. They were winless at that point. Our win at Purdue later in the season was probably a better win imo.
o yea, the "backwards pass"

The guy I most would like back is that walk on Synek. He could sling it and looked very good in his last spring game. Clearly Rhule values size and athleticism though.

and you argue by assumption.. you used to be a lot better at this.. you're slipping.

You said don’t recruit Sims , keep Casey and Logan and HH send Chubba packing.That’s anew coach keep3 QBs coming off a 4-8 season and two coming of surgery. no coach would do that. You are just not real smart with a post like this.

You said don’t recruit Sims , keep Casey and Logan and HH send Chubba packing.That’s anew coach keep3 QBs coming off a 4-8 season and two coming of surgery. no coach would do that. You are just not real smart with a post like this.
you don't take the two best QB's (even coming off injury) on the roster and punt them and recruit a turnover machine from the transfer portal, tell everyone he has an NFL arm, and call it good..

that was easy to see from a mile away, and I made that argument on this board..

of course a new coach is always going to look in the portal.. that is a given, but who knows who you could have gotten or not, and you can't really argue stuff that didn't happen.. so I left it out.

Try and form an argument around that.. just for a moment, and you will see how weak that is.

you don't take the two best QB's (even coming off injury) on the roster and punt them and recruit a turnover machine from the transfer portal, tell everyone he has an NFL arm, and call it good..

that was easy to see from a mile away, and I made that argument on this board..

of course a new coach is always going to look in the portal.. that is a given, but who knows who you could have gotten or not, and you can't really argue stuff that didn't happen.. so I left it out.

Try and form an argument around that.. just for a moment, and you will see how weak that is.
Sim’s obviously to this point is (was a mistake) but as soon as Rhule brought anyone in ( Casey and Logan were gone ) no way around that . I hope sims get bette. But my point is no new coach would have stood Pat with our QB room last year No way you are going to convince me if that .

Sim’s obviously to this point is (was a mistake) but as soon as Rhule brought anyone in ( Casey and Logan were gone ) no way around that . I hope sims get bette. But my point is no new coach would have stood Pat with our QB room last year No way you are going to convince me if that .
I get that.. and it wasn't my argument that a new coach would have stood fast with the current QB room.

My argument was that Rhule has done things to make the offense worse.

• Haha
Who was behind Martinez? McCaffry, how did he pan out as a QB? What did Whipppe have to work with when he came in? Casey transfered and if Whip didn't get him last year, it would have been a bigger disaster than it was. Who was behind Casey? Yep, Smothers who shares time at a smaller school and Purdy who remains in the #3 hole. I don't know who all Rhule tried to lure but he obviously knew he had to get some depth there with Casey on the shelf. Who else was available? Sims may have been our only option but we can always think everyone wants to come to Nebraska. Bottom line is we haven't had a solid QB room for years but yet we still opine for the second string guy. Even in this thread we should have kept Smothers.
Not that I am advocating for Luke at QB. But he did have a higher win percentage than Adrian and Casey. Lolol I just kidding.

Haha you have trouble deciphering what you say. Haha Nikkichix that's embarrassing

Rhule had 'talks' with everyone in the room.. and this was Before the spring game. Those guys knew they were not getting any interest whatsoever and that the starter was decided before anyone had done anything to earn it.

Why stick around when the HC is going to be like that?

It's so easy to see that Rhule made the offense worse when he arrived here.. but most everyone here ate up the press and Rhuleaid all off season. I watched you all gorge yourselves on it. SMH
Trey Palmer went to the NFL and Casey Thompson transferred, those are the reasons for the offense being worse than last year. Rhule did not make it worse on his own but yes so far he has failed to respond well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT