ADVERTISEMENT

Logan Smothers

You have to remember the egos in this business. Frost lived and died by Martinez, Whipple only found Casey worth his time, Rhule handpicked Sims and with Casey's shoulder surgery and missing spring, the writing was on the wall.

Reactions: t7w0c1
The one that got away is Luke but because he’s turned out to be a pretty dam good WR

Smothers was just a guy. Soon enough, we need to stop arguing about who is the hottest fat girl.
Chris Farley Drag GIF

starting posts about Smothers, using the words "true sin." Holy hell, some are in crisis lock down mode.

You have to remember the egos in this business. Frost lived and died by Martinez, Whipple only found Casey worth his time, Rhule handpicked Sims and with Casey's shoulder surgery and missing spring, the writing was on the wall.
Who was behind Martinez? McCaffry, how did he pan out as a QB? What did Whipppe have to work with when he came in? Casey transfered and if Whip didn't get him last year, it would have been a bigger disaster than it was. Who was behind Casey? Yep, Smothers who shares time at a smaller school and Purdy who remains in the #3 hole. I don't know who all Rhule tried to lure but he obviously knew he had to get some depth there with Casey on the shelf. Who else was available? Sims may have been our only option but we can always think everyone wants to come to Nebraska. Bottom line is we haven't had a solid QB room for years but yet we still opine for the second string guy. Even in this thread we should have kept Smothers.

Last edited:
Would take him over any qb on the roster right now.
You said before because I’m a bears fan I don’t know good qb play

Might be true

But I’ve been exposed to a lifelong parade of crap qb play and smothers fits right into that group

• Haha
Reactions: arf_man
Who was behind Martinez? McCaffry, how did he pan out as a QB? What did Whipppe have to work with when he came in? Casey transfered and if Whip didn't get him last year, it would have been a bigger disaster than it was. Who was behind Casey? Yep, Smothers who shares time at a smaller school and Purdy who remains in the #3 hole. I don't know who all Rhule tried to lure but he obviously knew he had to get some depth there with Casey on the shelf. Who else was available? Sims may have been our only option but we can always think everyone wants to come to Nebraska. Bottom line is we haven't had a solid QB room for years but yet we still opine for the second string guy. Even in this thread we should have kept Smothers.
Wasn’t really the point of my post, just that coaches will typically prefer their handpicked players to anyone else.

Smothers suffered from poor decision making. Very poor. He was an athlete though and could capture a snap so that might have vaulted him to the top if he was still here.
It's not a real competitive market, our qb room.

Reactions: kevingne
I believe Smothers could be serviceable at a Power 5 school in the right offense. Noah Vedral started at Rutgers…..
This is similar theory to what I wrote about "good" players, 2 star players that exceed expectations and "bad" players, 4 and 5 star players that don't live up to expectations. Noah Vedral was not a good QB even though he took snaps at UCF, Nebraska and Rutgers. Can a low level QB be serviceable at a P5 school? Of course, but jeesh, talk about finding your needle in a needle stack

Reactions: king_kong_
I remember when Smothers did get in it was a toss up whether or not he fumbled when he ran the ball. He’s gone, move on.

Reactions: king_kong_
I remember when Smothers did get in it was a toss up whether or not he fumbled when he ran the ball. He’s gone, move on.
cost us a game by fumbling after running into the thigh of his own lineman

Rhule had 'talks' with everyone in the room.. and this was Before the spring game. Those guys knew they were not getting any interest whatsoever and that the starter was decided before anyone had done anything to earn it.

Why stick around when the HC is going to be like that?

It's so easy to see that Rhule made the offense worse when he arrived here.. but most everyone here ate up the press and Rhuleaid all off season. I watched you all gorge yourselves on it. SMH

Rhule had 'talks' with everyone in the room.. and this was Before the spring game. Those guys knew they were not getting any interest whatsoever and that the starter was decided before anyone had done anything to earn it.

It's so easy to see that Rhule made the offense worse when he arrived here.. but most everyone here ate up the press and Rhuleaid all off season. I watched you all gorge yourselves on it. SMH
So, we can assume that you were present during those talks?

You make a lot of assumptions. So I guess we should believe your assumption about this just like your assumption that Ted Carter changed the direction of Alberts’ head coaching search.
you are free to believe whatever you want to

Dear lord. Every coach does this.

Dear lord. Every coach does this.
I think you missed the point of the discussion. It wasn't on whether or not the coach should have a talk with the everyone in the room.

Maybe you should go back to criticizing guys who slow brag about their donations with your own donation slow brag hypocrisy.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT