ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s be civil again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoBigRedHead

Walk On
Dec 2, 2017
This is relevant information for everyone. I think understanding the psychology behind the social media-driven discourse in this country (and, for example, why threads on this board always turn toxically “political”) is very powerful and the first step toward returning civility.

As anecdotal evidence in support of the linked story I can share that I’ve had a neighbor for five years who I never met and after I saw the Trump sign in his yard I went out my way not to know him. A few months ago we crossed paths at a parent meeting for our kids’ baseball Rec league. The meeting was at a sports bar so most people were having a drink. I ended up talking to the guy for hours and we’ve since even hung out in each other’s garages a couple times having beers. We’ve talked politics and I still disagree with him on many things but I don’t despise him anymore and I’ve learned things about him, like that he is a former marine, that have given me a lot of respect for him.

So while we can’t meet each other on this board and have beers, perhaps knowing the psychology for what drives a lot politically-driven posts can be enough for us to pause and think before we engage with an equally opposite reactionary post.

In An Increasingly Polarized America, Is It Possible To Be Civil On Social Media?

This is relevant information for everyone. I think understanding the psychology behind the social media-driven discourse in this country (and, for example, why threads on this board always turn toxically “political”) is very powerful and the first step toward returning civility.

As anecdotal evidence in support of the linked story I can share that I’ve had a neighbor for five years who I never met and after I saw the Trump sign in his yard I went out my way not to know him. A few months ago we crossed paths at a parent meeting for our kids’ baseball Rec league. The meeting was at a sports bar so most people were having a drink. I ended up talking to the guy for hours and we’ve since even hung out in each other’s garages a couple times having beers. We’ve talked politics and I still disagree with him on many things but I don’t despise him anymore and I’ve learned things about him, like that he is a former marine, that have given me a lot of respect for him.

So while we can’t meet each other on this board and have beers, perhaps knowing the psychology for what drives a lot politically-driven posts can be enough for us to pause and think before we engage with an equally opposite reactionary post.

In An Increasingly Polarized America, Is It Possible To Be Civil On Social Media?
You “despised” a neighbor you didn’t know because he had a Trump sign in his yard? Since those signs only started popping up around 3 years ago, I would suggest you continue working on yourself for a few more years before branching out as an evangelist of tolerance.

IBTL
chastity-belt-285x285.jpg

You “despised” a neighbor you didn’t know because he had a Trump sign in his yard? Since those signs only started popping up around 3 years ago, I would suggest you continue working on yourself for a few more years before branching out as an evangelist of tolerance.
To paraphrase Bo Pelini, I’m pointing the thumb not the finger.

Reactions: GILL T and jeans15
I agree with the OP that we need civility on both sides. I am a lifelong conservative who did not vote for Trump or Hillary. I would never judge someone based on a sign in their yard. However, in my neighborhood there were people stealing Trump signs on a regular basis but not Clinton signs. When it was brought up on NextDoor many people thought it was cool to steal Trump signs and encouraged it. Nevermind it is against the law. I was actually shamed on Facebook by someone I know for voting for Trump when I didn't vote for him. They just assumed I did and wanted to shame me and a few other people. Needless to say I don't associate with that person any longer. Now there may be conservatives that act just as badly but these are just my experiences with how people act these days.

Reactions: huskerfan66

Millions of people are doing this not just him.

That's the point.

I agree with the OP that we need civility on both sides. I am a lifelong conservative who did not vote for Trump or Hillary. I would never judge someone based on a sign in their yard. However, in my neighborhood there were people stealing Trump signs on a regular basis but not Clinton signs. When it was brought up on NextDoor many people thought it was cool to steal Trump signs and encouraged it. Nevermind it is against the law. I was actually shamed on Facebook by someone I know for voting for Trump when I didn't vote for him. They just assumed I did and wanted to shame me and a few other people. Needless to say I don't associate with that person any longer. Now there may be conservatives that act just as badly but these are just my experiences with how people act these days.
I would agree. C tend to be the tolerant ones. I love when two opposing views can have a conversation. Unfortunately, tends to turn into name calling and talking over the other person rather than listening.

I have several GOOD friends that I know we cancel each other's votes out. That's totally fine with me. I am happy to call them my friends...

I don't think this just happened after trump was elected, the political correctness started years ago, but it's just growing to unmanageable. What about the anti police that former president oboma was, he'd rather go to a thugs funeral than honor a fallen police officer. I believe most of this discontent is stoked by today's media including social media. Oh yeah you can be real brave sitting behind a keyboard bashing a fellow high school mate or co-worker. I believe even today the print media won't publish a unsigned comment. IMO we've all become to thin skinned, no I'm not in favor of bullying, but we also have to understand there always someone that's going to a jerk say something that might piss us off or offend us. guess what that's life, and the only thing fair in life is death, it's one thing none of us can avoid and we all get it

Its kinda hard when one side seems hell bent on destroying rational discourse and implementing laws that are pretty terrifying, disgusting and that further push us in to idiocracy.

You're going to have to be more specific, not sure if this is about the last 2 years or the previous 8.

If the answer is "both", then I concur 100%.

To paraphrase Bo Pelini, I’m pointing the thumb not the finger.
To paraphrase myself, your admitted lack of tolerance in recent years makes this thread totally inappropriate. You and your thumb are the wrong messengers of tolerance. This thread is the opposite of pointing the thumb at yourself.

To paraphrase myself, your admitted lack of tolerance in recent years makes this thread totally inappropriate. You and your thumb are the wrong messengers of tolerance. This thread is the opposite of pointing the thumb at yourself.
What if he was standing in the mirror?

I don't know why people think they can judge someone they don't even know. I like to think of myself as an intuitive person, but I'll admit my first impression of someone is usually wrong 90% of the time. It's funny people base so much of their opinion on something that's wrong a high percentage of the time.

Reactions: jeans15

You indicated you went out of your way not to know your neighbor because of the Trump sign in his yard.

How would you have felt about a Romney sign? Romney was the most moderate Republican Presidential nominee since Eisenhauer yet that did not stop VP Joe Bidden from proclaiming to a predominantly Afro-American audience “They're going to put y'all back in chains”

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-tells-african-american-audience-gop-ticket-would-put-them-back-in-chains/

Trump was one of my last choices but many people liked him because he did fight back.

I agree with your attitude and I think most republicans would embrace it, but until some of the major news media look in at themselves and realize they are alienating 40 to 50% of the population with their bias and make a change and genuinely give unbiased news which includes pointing it out on both sides the county as a whole will continue to be entrenched.

Some of you are way too young. It used to be the "middle" was where most Dems and repubs lived and they often crossed party lines with their votes. You didn't see all party line votes like we often have now. Kennedy would probably be considered a conservative these days.

So what happened? Look at the middle and see who moved. Did the middle move more left or more right. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see we have moved far and fast to the left and the right moved towards the center. The gap has increased and will continue to do so. There is clearly more identity politics and the need to guarantee happiness rather than the opportunity to pursue it. My two cents and it will not end well.

Honestly the "leaders" cant even get this right how is it expected of us? Most people are just sheep following their leads.. both sides have agendas.. its our job to do our due dillegance and educate ourselves.. then form an opinion not to discount someone elses..but rather for the betterment of our country, state, city and homes.. just my .02

Reactions: SOCALHSKR
You indicated you went out of your way not to know your neighbor because of the Trump sign in his yard.

How would you have felt about a Romney sign? Romney was the most moderate Republican Presidential nominee since Eisenhauer yet that did not stop VP Joe Bidden from proclaiming to a predominantly Afro-American audience “They're going to put y'all back in chains”

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-tells-african-american-audience-gop-ticket-would-put-them-back-in-chains/

Trump was one of my last choices but many people liked him because he did fight back.

I agree with your attitude and I think most republicans would embrace it, but until some of the major news media look in at themselves and realize they are alienating 40 to 50% of the population with their bias and make a change and genuinely give unbiased news which includes pointing it out on both sides the county as a whole will continue to be entrenched.
You're including FOX news as well?

Some of you are way too young. It used to be the "middle" was where most Dems and repubs lived and they often crossed party lines with their votes. You didn't see all party line votes like we often have now. Kennedy would probably be considered a conservative these days.

So what happened? Look at the middle and see who moved. Did the middle move more left or more right. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see we have moved far and fast to the left and the right moved towards the center. The gap has increased and will continue to do so. There is clearly more identity politics and the need to guarantee happiness rather than the opportunity to pursue it. My two cents and it will not end well.
This never happened, they moved equally.

I don't think this just happened after trump was elected, the political correctness started years ago, but it's just growing to unmanageable. What about the anti police that former president oboma was, he'd rather go to a thugs funeral than honor a fallen police officer. I believe most of this discontent is stoked by today's media including social media. Oh yeah you can be real brave sitting behind a keyboard bashing a fellow high school mate or co-worker. I believe even today the print media won't publish a unsigned comment. IMO we've all become to thin skinned, no I'm not in favor of bullying, but we also have to understand there always someone that's going to a jerk say something that might piss us off or offend us. guess what that's life, and the only thing fair in life is death, it's one thing none of us can avoid and we all get it
Trump is a thug. That's worse

the discourse has become so oppositional that i wont hold my breath for that to change anytime soon.
extremes from the right and left, when in power, are ruling with impunity and we’re all suffering from it and to blame for it.

After a 2 year witch-hunt knowing beforehand that the only collusion that took place involving Russia was with the Clinton campaign and the Russians, I’m still upset/bent/pissed about the money that was spent.
I try to stay out of these discussions, but want to examine the part I put in bold in a vacuum. Didn't the investigation uncover a ton of unpaid taxes from some parties that when collected will exceed the cost of the investigation?

Trump is a thug. That's worse
How old are you? So I take it that your alright with a president dislike of the police? I know policemen aren't perfect, but there the only one that's stands between society and military rule. Is it ok with you for a president to dishonor every military branch we have, by not saluting? Look trump is far from perfect but people need to finally understand that if the other party had a better candidate they probably would have won!!! So all you Hillary and left wingers don't be pissed because trump won ya need to be pissed you had a freaking retred

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
I try to stay out of these discussions, but want to examine the part I put in bold in a vacuum. Didn't the investigation uncover a ton of unpaid taxes from some parties that when collected will exceed the cost of the investigation?
That's because muller was given to broad authority, no I don't condone tax evasion, but after all the millions that was spent all they could find was a couple of tax evaders that the IRS could have found. Everyone no matter which party you like should be out raged over this misuse of power and excessive spending

But yes I agree with you I'm trying to stay out, or better yet I'm finished with this post

Reactions: saluno22
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT