ADVERTISEMENT

Legislating NIL money…

Not true. It's advertised. If a fan doesn't have any idea what or how it works they are a moron.
What is the vision exactly? If I donate $100 what is it going towards? When the athletic department wanted money before they stated what they needed the money for. My family donated towards the south stadium project. No way would my dad have cut a random check to the athletic department. But they clearly stated what they needed the money for and he was proud to donate towards the project.

Reactions: huskercabby
I read that NCAA just met to offer proposals to control NIL. The proposals have absolutely no bite. Congress was supposed to offer help in regulating it, but they're out to lunch.

What I don't understand is why in the world would you ever start something that didn't have solid rules and regulations. It has turned into a free for all which I thought it would. People in power are idiots or they want to drive this country into the ground.

Last edited:
What is the vision exactly? If I donate $100 what is it going towards? When the athletic department wanted money before they stated what they needed the money for. My family donated towards the south stadium project. No way would my dad have cut a random check to the athletic department. But they clearly stated what they needed the money for and he was proud to donate towards the project.

Here's the secret sauce...you can tell the NIL people where you want the money to go. Specify it is to buy football players...they'll be thrilled to cash that check...and your dad sounds amazing and like my kinda guy.

Reactions: Huskers123456
What may save us from this NIL debacle is when a group of power 5 program break away from the ncaa and profit sharing is mandated with the athletes

Here's the secret sauce...you can tell the NIL people where you want the money to go. Specify it is to buy football players...they'll be thrilled to cash that check...and your dad sounds amazing and like my kinda guy.
“We promise none of it will end up in Davidson’s back yard”

“We promise none of it will end up in Davidson’s back yard”

I don't know anything about his compensation package but whatever it is must be agreed on by everyone i'd think...and this is a privately funded deal isn't it??? I think he's got a pretty great job and good work if you can get it...but I hate the whole thing.

If it ever made it onto a ballot it would lose bigly...wouldn't even be close.

I'm all for payimg for the best talent, but not with my money. If a rich donor wants to buy us a title then hell yeah...but i'm not comfortable telling others they should spend money on that. I am curious how much somebody like you donates to the NIL though?
we're not 'rich' enough as a state, coupled with the general conservative nature of Nebraskans (not knocking conservativism, I'm generally very much so), to generate enough NIL wealth to make a big difference compared to rich schools. We have average money, but other average programs are spending exponentially more than we are, and getting talent that makes a difference. This is my problem.

Am simply trying to think outside the box, find ways to make up for it. You're probably right, FWIW. It'd probably never get enough support, was simply asking the question as to whether or not anyone knew if it was even legal, possible.

I've given ~$10K to whatever collectives over the last couple years (including 1890), 'donor dinners' and whatnot. My concern is that we've seen NOTHING to show for it, and feel like I've completely wasted that... and I'm DONE until things change. I'd have continued to be enthusiastic about it otherwise. Almost EVERY TIME last couple years we entertain an elite talent, they go elsewhere to where they're getting paid better. It's gonna keep happening as long as NIL's a thing, or until our athletic department starts spending some f**king money on something other than wider seats for fat asses.

Last edited:
Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
It’s sad that when it comes to paying players we were far more competitive with the top programs in the 70s-80s-90s when it was illegal than we are now
it's all about money now, baby.

As a program we either adapt, or we become obsolete. We've not done shit in the last few years about it. Meaningless.

If @Tetonia is calling for the govt to intervene I can bet you dollars to donuts he believes his 200th row season tix he’s spending a relative pittance on are more than enough

Typical
Would never call on Gubmint to intervene on a goddamned thing; they're worthless morons.
Tiny sales tax to goto a private NIL collective, IF it could voted for by a majority of Nebraska voters, generate a few $M directed specifically to paying for better talent. I agree, Nebraskans are far too conservative with money for it to pass, if it's even legal to propose it. I have no clue. Just asking questions.

West club x 2, and they're sold. Went to the game last weekend, and that'll be it for this year :) Will wait a season and see what happens with talent before we don't renew. $10k a year 'donation' in addition to the ticket price, have been a season ticketholder for ~25 years now.

it's all about money now, baby.

As a program we either adapt, or we become obsolete. We've not done shit in the last few years about it. Meaningless.
I think the part you aren’t necessarily realizing is that money doesn’t guarantee anything. Jerry Jones has been trying to buy another world title for 25 years now and he’s not come close. It was practically a way of life for Dan Snyder.

The vast majority of 18 year olds aren’t that good. Solid but not like amazing. The portal is full of players that other teams basically didn’t want. Sure there’s some talent there, but it’s a very small fraction and those guys are going to get split however many ways as well.

You are already upset your 10k didn’t turn into anything. The difference between you and some bubba in the SEC is you realize your money was wasted and you’d rather not. They’ll go on pounding beers and shoveling money into a burn pit until they turn over enough rocks to build a good team.

Nebraskans are not going to do that. Rich or poor.

Reactions: BleedRed78
What may save us from this NIL debacle is when a group of power 5 program break away from the ncaa and profit sharing is mandated with the athletes
Maybe. No matter how you slice it Nebraska is a small to mid market team financially. I don’t think anywhere in the history of paid sports has there ever been a financial powerhouse of an organization from a small base. They have to win on value and efficiency or some other metric than sheer roster contract value.

In any version of CFB that puts money at the center we will have to look more like the STL Cardinals than the NY Yankees.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT