ADVERTISEMENT

Leaving early

I can't understand why anyone would leave early. Doesn't matter the circumstances. I just LOVE being in memorial stadium... surrounded by people who love our team.

The atmosphere is fun and win or lose were still huskers. I feel that clapping for our opponent to be a gesture of respect and I like to give them one no matter the result. I wonder sometimes; and I hear it all the time... "the opposing fans.... clapped for us?!?".

Ok, so you beat traffic. But, you miss out on walking back to your car and that celebration with other fans on the street. It's fun to acknowledge other NU fans too.

If you're not quick to leave... some of the greatest times I've had are downtown. Nothing like a cigar and a stout with your buddies.

There's just something to it. The way I put it might sound dumb, but I enjoy the small things sometimes.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
Once again at least twenty thousand "fans" leave early. I guess they needed to get home to see Saturday Night Live. The worn down defense definitely needed them.

Dont necessarily take this as a negative. The party within 4 blocks of the stadium is fantastic. Amazing game day atmosphere.

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
Once again at least twenty thousand "fans" leave early. I guess they needed to get home to see Saturday Night Live. The worn down defense definitely needed them.
The stadium should be half empty by halftime when we play a team of ASU's caliber.

I can't understand why anyone would leave early. Doesn't matter the circumstances. I just LOVE being in memorial stadium... surrounded by people who love our team.

The atmosphere is fun and win or lose were still huskers. I feel that clapping for our opponent to be a gesture of respect and I like to give them one no matter the result. I wonder sometimes; and I hear it all the time... "the opposing fans.... clapped for us?!?".

Ok, so you beat traffic. But, you miss out on walking back to your car and that celebration with other fans on the street. It's fun to acknowledge other NU fans too.

If you're not quick to leave... some of the greatest times I've had are downtown. Nothing like a cigar and a stout with your buddies.

There's just something to it. The way I put it might sound dumb, but I enjoy the small things sometimes.
I felt the same way until I was down there. Aside from the usual big-screen area, the rail yard was a dead zone.

Living in AZ I don't see many games live, but I was just amazed when the rows around me in West Stadium were clearing out with 6 or 7 minutes left. Obviously those are not cheap seats though I imagine many are held by grandsons/granddaughters of longtime ticketholders who don't have to pay the exhorbitant seat licenses. Many they should have to.

My grandson who isn't a big fooball fan wondered why we didn't leave too since so many people knew the game was over. But I'm assuming a ton of those people are more experienced fans and knew well how much the outcome of that game was in doubt. Yet they raced for their cars. Nebraska football is about the biggest deal in the State and there are only seven home dates. Yet tens of thousands leave with the game in doubt. Very strange to say the least. I'm not leaving Diaco out of my disappointed list but he's new and deserves some time to figure things out. The fleeing fans on the other hand were a disgrace and they should know better by now.

Slippery slope when leaving early transitions into not showing up at all. It is a pain in the ass getting out of there particularly when the game end is approaching midnight and you still have a drive ahead. Regardless of start time attending a game is pretty much an all day affair associated with fair amount of cost. At some point people are going to question whether it is worth spending an entire Saturday to watch a lackluster product in person when you can spend the majority of your day doing other things and still catch the game on TV. Kudos to the 90k that still full the stadium.

I think you're stretching a little on the slippery slope angle. People leave early all the time. Most people who left did so with Nebraska up 14 with 5 min left. I don't think they were leaving because the product was lackluster. I think they were leaving to beat traffic with the game that should have been no longer in doubt. Not sure that leads to not showing up at all.

I think you're stretching a little on the slippery slope angle. People leave early all the time. Most people who left did so with Nebraska up 14 with 5 min left. I don't think they were leaving because the product was lackluster. I think they were leaving to beat traffic with the game that should have been no longer in doubt. Not sure that leads to not showing up at all.

You are probably right. Perhaps my sensibilities are a lot different than orhers. I wouldn't have a problem dedicating an entire Saturday toward watching a superior product. But dedicating 7 entire Saturdays in the fall in order to see an average product just doesn't have value to me. I work a lot of weekends and holidays so i suspect that alters the equation for me personally.

To each his own.

Last edited:
You are probably right. Perhaps my sensibilities are a lot different than the masses. I wouldn't have a problem dedicating an entire Saturday toward watching a superior product. But dedicating 7 entire Saturdays in the fall in order to see an average product just doesn't have value to me. I work a lot of weekends and holidays so i suspect that alters the equation for me personally.

So what do your sensibilities tell you about the time you spend on message boards? Ha ha it's entertainment. If it's something you enjoy, you'll go. If the enjoyment is based on "winning" then you'll stop. I don't think the average football fan uses logic.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
The game was supposed to kick off at 7:10 but I believe it kicked off more around 7:15.

I think the game finally ended around 11:05.

With half-time being exactly 20 minutes per the new rules, that was just a really long game. I can't imagine how long it would have been if it had gone into overtime.

So much for changing the rules to shorten game lengths.

The only two ways they can shorten the game length is to treat an incomplete pass similar to a run play and keep the clock running unless you call a timeout (or have a TV timeout, injury timeout, the refs call a timeout, etc) or to keep the clock running when a players runs out of bounds, which would really change the dynamics of the game, especially at the end of every quarter.

If I had to drive more than 2 or 3 hours home after the game last night I probably would have left much earlier. Getting home after 1 or 2 a.m. makes for a really long day.

The game was supposed to kick off at 7:10 but I believe it kicked off more around 7:15.

I think the game finally ended around 11:05.

With half-time being exactly 20 minutes per the new rules, that was just a really long game. I can't imagine how long it would have been if it had gone into overtime.

So much for changing the rules to shorten game lengths.

The only two ways they can shorten the game length is to treat an incomplete pass similar to a run play and keep the clock running unless you call a timeout (or have a TV timeout, injury timeout, the refs call a timeout, etc) or to keep the clock running when a players runs out of bounds, which would really change the dynamics of the game, especially at the end of every quarter.

If I had to drive more than 2 or 3 hours home after the game last night I probably would have left much earlier. Getting home after 1 or 2 a.m. makes for a really long day.
Or they could stop reviewing the play every other down.

Living in AZ I don't see many games live, but I was just amazed when the rows around me in West Stadium were clearing out with 6 or 7 minutes left. Obviously those are not cheap seats though I imagine many are held by grandsons/granddaughters of longtime ticketholders who don't have to pay the exhorbitant seat licenses. Many they should have to.

My grandson who isn't a big fooball fan wondered why we didn't leave too since so many people knew the game was over. But I'm assuming a ton of those people are more experienced fans and knew well how much the outcome of that game was in doubt. Yet they raced for their cars. Nebraska football is about the biggest deal in the State and there are only seven home dates. Yet tens of thousands leave with the game in doubt. Very strange to say the least. I'm not leaving Diaco out of my disappointed list but he's new and deserves some time to figure things out. The fleeing fans on the other hand were a disgrace and they should know better by now.

What makes you think that children or Grandchildren of original season ticket holders don't have a required donation to keep those seats? When the seats are transferred to a direct relative, they are required to make a yearly donation even if the original ticket holder was not required to do so.

I'm just guessing, but I would say very few people in the west stadium are not making donations. The only seats I'm aware of that do not require a donation are in the far upper sections of the north and south stadiums

What makes you think that children or Grandchildren of original season ticket holders don't have a required donation to keep those seats? When the seats are transferred to a direct relative, they are required to make a yearly donation even if the original ticket holder was not required to do so.

I'm just guessing, but I would say very few people in the west stadium are not making donations. The only seats I'm aware of that do not require a donation are in the far upper sections of the north and south stadiums
The longtime ticket holders are picking up the cost, not the kids or grandkids. When I lived in Nebraska my parents and grandparents both gave me their tickets. They still footed the bill and I was the beneficiary.

Not every fan at the game lives in or near Lincoln. When you have a 2.5+ hour drive and it's 10pm or later, you're probably going to leave before the game is over.
Hmmmmm that 15 min make that much of a difference? Sorry not buying it.

I don't make it to games very often, but I would assume leaving early to beat the traffic would make a difference in the sense that you get to your vehicle and get out of town before the traffic piles up bumper to bumper.

I have stayed a few minutes past the end of the game before and by the time we made it to our car, it took us an hour just to get to the interstate west of Lincoln because of the traffic. Once we got to the interstate, we had another 3-1/2 hours of driving.

My dad drives straight home after a night game, but when I have gone with my family, we plan to stay the night somewhere because I hate driving after midnight when I am constantly falling asleep at the wheel.

Reactions: dpnavy
People in NE are soft when it comes to traffic. They think 15 minutes is a "long drive." You leave early and it takes 55 minutes to get to Omaha, you leave late and it takes 70. So what?

Reactions: Hammer of the God's
I remember talking to this middle aged lady about sports games and her perspective was really about time management. As a parent, she was more fond of basketball games. She could get dinner prepped, go to the game, spend an hour, be back in time to get the laundry folded etc. She said of her son's football games, it's a three hour ordeal that takes up the entire evening.
Most fans don't have that kind of viewpoint, but the other half of your family might.

We left at beginning of 4th for two reasons. 1. Hard to watch, we are a crappy NFL team, boring style and poor play. 2. The north stadium was full of drunk idiots making little sense, yelling nonstop like the players on the field actually could hear them. Never saw a game with more idiots being removed by police

There were thousands leaving and the general consensus I heard was why stay and watch a crap display like that. I really think we are near a crossroads where the attendance will take a hit. I know many that are having a harder time selling there tickets when they can't go. I think after Over 15 years of being nearly irrelevant people are starting to rather just watch it on tv so if it's bad they can flip to something else. Sorry but that is what I see

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
I remember talking to this middle aged lady about sports games and her perspective was really about time management. As a parent, she was more fond of basketball games. She could get dinner prepped, go to the game, spend an hour, be back in time to get the laundry folded etc. She said of her son's football games, it's a three hour ordeal that takes up the entire evening.
Most fans don't have that kind of viewpoint, but the other half of your family might.
was this the 1950s?

At what point of the game? When we were up 14 with 5 game time minutes left? Yeah more like saving at least 60 minutes.

5 minutes of game time equals what, 30 minutes of real time (maybe longer with a close game). Fighting crowds, fighting traffic.

You're saving much more than 15 minutes

People in NE are soft when it comes to traffic. They think 15 minutes is a "long drive." You leave early and it takes 55 minutes to get to Omaha, you leave late and it takes 70. So what?
It's not a 15 minute difference. At least not in my experience.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
After the wisconsin game a few years back it took us an hour longer than if no game. 30 more than usual just getting out of haymarket lot.
Dunno what youre talking about.

With night games it can take an hour to go just a few blocks to get on the interstate. Once on the interstate, it is cone-city and slow going for a half hour outside of Lincoln. It is usually 2-2/12 hours to Omaha from parking garage to home. Again, that is night games, afternoon games are not as bad.

Everybody fans differently. I haven't seen the second half of a game in person in several years. We go to nearly every game, stay till halftime, then return to our tailgate for food, cocktails, comfortable chairs and big screen/satellite. Totally works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: artguy68 and dpnavy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT