ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Sims

SomedayHusker

All-American
Oct 26, 2019
Omaha
I had some time today to relax and watch some full game film of 2022 Georgia Tech and Jeff Sims. Not just highlights but a good mix of all plays. I have not watched 2020 or 2021.

First and foremost:
It cannot be overstated how much of a garbage truck fire Georgia Tech’s offense was as a whole in 2022 and their defense was not much better. They ranked 125th in points in a year where they fired their head coach after 3 games (sound familiar?)

Plays where you could really blame Sims were few and far between. Their pass protection actually looked worse than ours. Every 3rd play against top 25 teams there were O-linemen that were disregarded as if they didn’t exist. The play calling constantly resulted in big losses from lateral play attempts that were often predicted by defenses. Their receivers weren’t terrible but I would still give the Huskers the edge there. They didn’t seem to have a guy to take the top off as they barely threw it deep

Sims had notably better numbers both passing and ypc rushing in 2021. Tech’s RBs also dropped over a half ypc in 2022 from the prior year. So it’s clear their O-line got worse. 3 different Tech quarterbacks played meaningful snaps in 2022. Sims ranked 2/3 for passer rating but played the most by far and was the best runner.

Jeff Sims Pros:
- NFL arm talent. Throws short/medium range darts on ropes effortlessly, all day long
- Good mechanics overall, stands tall in the pocket and throws with a solid base and good leverage
- Reads the defense pretty well, knows when to check down
- Extremely tough and athletic runner who gets north and south quickly
- Extends passing plays with his athleticism

Cons:
- Does not always read the pocket and evade pressure as well as he could
- Lacking significant tape on deep throws but could put more air under some deeper throws to create better catching angles
- Could go through more progressions, lots of throws are predetermined but has also lacked time to do so.

As we know, the offense is likely going to hinge on how this O-line comes out but I am even higher on Jeff Sims watching him last season. He has not been a turnover machine since his freshman year. He reminds me a lot of Tommy Armstrong as a runner (possibly faster) and is a better passer.

I had some time today to relax and watch some full game film of 2022 Georgia Tech and Jeff Sims. Not just highlights but a good mix of all plays. I have not watched 2020 or 2021.

First and foremost:
It cannot be overstated how much of a garbage truck fire Georgia Tech’s offense was as a whole in 2022 and their defense was not much better. They ranked 125th in points in a year where they fired their head coach after 3 games (sound familiar?)

Plays where you could really blame Sims were few and far between. Their pass protection actually looked worse than ours. Every 3rd play against top 25 teams there were O-linemen that were disregarded as if they didn’t exist. The play calling constantly resulted in big losses from lateral play attempts that were often predicted by defenses. Their receivers weren’t terrible but I would still give the Huskers the edge there. They didn’t seem to have a guy to take the top off as they barely threw it deep

Sims had notably better numbers both passing and ypc rushing in 2021. Tech’s RBs also dropped over a half ypc in 2022 from the prior year. So it’s clear their O-line got worse. 3 different Tech quarterbacks played meaningful snaps in 2022. Sims ranked 2/3 for passer rating but played the most by far and was the best runner.

Jeff Sims Pros:
- NFL arm talent. Throws short/medium range darts on ropes effortlessly, all day long
- Good mechanics overall, stands tall in the pocket and throws with a solid base and good leverage
- Reads the defense pretty well, knows when to check down
- Extremely tough and athletic runner who gets north and south quickly
- Extends passing plays with his athleticism

Cons:
- Does not always read the pocket and evade pressure as well as he could
- Lacking significant tape on deep throws but could put more air under some deeper throws to create better catching angles
- Could go through more progressions, lots of throws are predetermined but has also lacked time to do so.

As we know, the offense is likely going to hinge on how this O-line comes out but I am even higher on Jeff Sims watching him last season. He has not been a turnover machine since his freshman year. He reminds me a lot of Tommy Armstrong as a runner (possibly faster) and is a better passer.
I’d take a TA all day long!

Someday Husker, Thanks for the update And thanks for the analysis. If O-Line improves, Sims could be good, Martinez and Thompson could have been stellar just the same.

Damn...I ain't never been at that point in my life where watching old GT games was better than....literally anything else!!

But I loved reading that!! Great post.

creep-radiohead.gif

I saw some people saying he could compare to richardson from fl. Big athletic qb with a big arm and average accuracy.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Finally got to his game vs Pitt last year and was his worst I’ve seen so far. He struggled with accuracy and should’ve thrown about 4 interceptions. He still cleaned it up at the end, made big plays on the ground and won the game.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Finally got to his game vs Pitt last year and was his worst I’ve seen so far. He struggled with accuracy and should’ve thrown about 4 interceptions. He still cleaned it up at the end, made big plays on the ground and won the game.
It's one thing to make some mistakes when otherwise balling out and just crap the bed.

It's another thing to struggle but push from behind for the victory.

Literally the difference between a TA and AM...

It's one thing to make some mistakes when otherwise balling out and just crap the bed.

It's another thing to struggle but push from behind for the victory.

Literally the difference between a TA and AM...
He’s got the tools and now he’s going to get better coaching. To be fair I don’t think our QB coach did AM any favors. His best year was his freshman year.

Verdusco is out of coaching…..= exposed.

He’s got the tools and now he’s going to get better coaching. To be fair I don’t think our QB coach did AM any favors. His best year was his freshman year.

Verdusco is out of coaching…..= exposed.
Sims clearly carried that G-Tech team on his back because they just didn’t have any other ways to win games. I think by their 6th game last season they’d had 5 of their punts blocked to lead the country…His situation is highly comparable to Martinez’s here except Sims has taken much better care of the football as he’s grown, a great sign. He had a 5 game stretch with zero interceptions and only threw 3 last year.

I don’t see a reason that Sims doesn’t come into a more functional staff and perform better just like Adrian did at K-State. He has a ton of power 5 experience against quality opponents.

As a GT fan I hope the kid really excels. He seemed to be a great person and I wish nothing but the best for him. The biggest knock on him while at Tech was he was thought to be soft and with our OL you couldn’t be soft playing behind it. I’ve watched every game from start to finish. One thing about Jeff is he can take a game over and be the best player on the field in most games if he wants too. The biggest problem with him, at least while he was at Tech was one game he would look like a future top 5 pick, fired up and pushing his team to win. Then the next 4 games he would show very little emotion and would seem to go out there on the field with very little enthusiasm and struggle. It also seemed like the team fed off this and if Sims played like he didn’t want to be there the offense would just give up.

He will show Heisman caliber talent one game, then just act as if he doesn’t care the next few and it’s hard not to keep sending him out there hoping his fire will relight because you know if he really try’s he give you your best chance to win.

I think he needed a fresh start and both he and GT are better off. Best of luck to you guys and I will be pulling for y’all and Sims.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT