ADVERTISEMENT

Jammal Lord/Adrian Martinez

Dec 9, 2017
I can't help but compare the two.

While Lord was only a two year starter, he was much maligned by the Husker faithful as not being good enough and the reason why our Huskers lost 10 games during his 2 year tenure.

Fast forward 15+ years later, and those same fans now herald Jammal as a warrior and one of the toughest SOBs to don the Scarlet and Cream.

While AMart has his flaws, he is a very talented QB. He is also a leader, and a kid who actually gives a shit. Like Jammal, he is as tough as they come, and also doesn't have the greatest supporting cast around him and will need to try and carry this team many times this season.

There is a myriad of problems surrounding this year's football team and coaching staff. I'm more than happy we have a kid with the talent and character of AMart behind center to try and lead us out of this land of football oblivion.

I think Lord suffered from the fact that we had basically turned into a QB run offense under Crouch and got away from a true option offense....and when he took over the offense couldn't just turn the old option back on as the option takes repetition and having 3 years of basically running QB draws and QB power changed the way we played. Lord, while a good athlete, did not have the running ability of Crouch.

You do realize JLo got a ton a criticism because he was the first qb after three elite qbs. No one will look good taking snaps after Frazier, Frost, and Crouch.

We look back now saying damn we wish we had JLo instead of terrible AMart.
And of those 3 elite QBs, it was Crouch that won a Heisman. Truly dumbfounding.

Anyway, to think AMart isn't as or more talented than Jammal is extremely hard to understand. Are we simply forgetting his freshman year?

I put a most of the burden on our coaching staff and the shear lack of playmakers around him. Very much like the burden our coaching staff put on Crouch and Lord with the QB run game when they had a much more talented cast around them.

And of those 3 elite QBs, it was Crouch that won a Heisman. Truly dumbfounding.

Anyway, to think AMart isn't as or more talented than Jammal is extremely hard to understand. Are we simply forgetting his freshman year?

I put a most of the burden on our coaching staff and the shear lack of playmakers around him. Very much like the burden our coaching staff put on Crouch and Lord with the QB run game when they had a much more talented cast around them.

His freshman season was serviceable.. and he looked to slowly improve after the disaster at Michigan. Then he sucked his soph year, and sucked again his jr year. If he can get back to serviceable then we will win eight games.

Last edited:
Jamaal was a great runner but a terrible passer. He had huge heart too. Not sure where Adrian’s head is at sometimes. Hopefully he has ‘it’ this year.
I too agree about Jamaal, but it was a different offense too..

I think Verduzzco screwed with his mind set his sophomore year and he gained a lot of weight..

Expecting see a better improved mindset with some taller wide receivers this season..

I think Verduzzco screwed with his mind set his sophomore year and he gained a lot of weight..

Expecting see a better improved mindset with some taller wide receivers this season..

Should help immensely when we don't design our offense around backwards RB screen passes and getting the ball to a slow 5'5" dude.

I can't help but compare the two.

While Lord was only a two year starter, he was much maligned by the Husker faithful as not being good enough and the reason why our Huskers lost 10 games during his 2 year tenure.

Fast forward 15+ years later, and those same fans now herald Jammal as a warrior and one of the toughest SOBs to don the Scarlet and Cream.

While AMart has his flaws, he is a very talented QB. He is also a leader, and a kid who actually gives a shit. Like Jammal, he is as tough as they come, and also doesn't have the greatest supporting cast around him and will need to try and carry this team many times this season.

There is a myriad of problems surrounding this year's football team and coaching staff. I'm more than happy we have a kid with the talent and character of AMart behind center to try and lead us out of this land of football oblivion.

I think your assessment is spot on for Taylor Martinez (not so sure about AM). Taylor was always the focus of fans frustrations, but I think we all realize now how electric he was and how fun it was having him as our QB.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
I think your assessment is spot on for Taylor Martinez (not so sure about AM). Taylor was always the focus of fans frustrations, but I think we all realize now how electric he was and how fun it was having him as our QB.
TM is the best QB we've had since Crouch. He carried some of those teams to victory and was clutch at end of a lot of games. He made some bonehead plays but he played hard when others were quitting.

Are Taylor and Adrian's stats all that different?

AM:
481 for 749 for a 64.2% completion percentage for 5,628 yards and 31 TDS with 21 INTS. 375 rushes for 1,776 yards and 22 TDs at 4.7 YPC.

TM:
575 for 962 for a 59.8% completion percentage for 7,258 yards and 56 TDs with 29 INTS. 535 rushes for 2,975 yards and 31 TDs at 5.1 YPC.

Give Adrian a year without Covid and another year of his supposed best, and he'll surpass the legacy that is the great Taylor Martinez.

AM:
481 for 749 for a 64.2% completion percentage for 5,628 yards and 31 TDS with 21 INTS. 375 rushes for 1,776 yards and 22 TDs at 4.7 YPC.

TM:
575 for 962 for a 59.8% completion percentage for 7,258 yards and 56 TDs with 29 INTS. 535 rushes for 2,975 yards and 31 TDs at 5.1 YPC.

Give Adrian a year without Covid and another year of his supposed best, and he'll surpass the legacy that is the great Taylor Martinez.
You’re missing wins and rushing yards.

I guess he’ll also surpass the legacy that is Frazier. Solid logic you have.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigredhunter

center snap issues and not having Stanley to throw it to killed Adrians confidence IMO. No consistent run game didn't help much either.

His freshman season was serviceable.. and he looked to slowly improve after the disaster at Michigan. Then he sucked his soph year, and sucked again his jr year. If he can get back to serviceable then we will win eight games.
The OL, RB receivers were serviceable Adrian's first year. Then in your words, those three positions sucked the last two years. This year I expect the sum of the parts will be greater than the last two years and Adrian will benefit.

The OL, RB receivers were serviceable Adrian's first year. Then in your words, those three positions sucked the last two years. This year I expect the sum of the parts will be greater than the last two years and Adrian will benefit.

True.. a solid rb will make a poor qb look decent. Wisky has been doing to for years.

You’re missing wins and rushing yards.
So better defenses had nothing to do with Taylor's record vs Adrian?

As Joe Biden so confidently states "C'mon Man!".

When Adrian had Devine Ozigbo, Stanley Morgan, and Maurice Washington, he was pretty damn good as a Frosh. Amazing how that happens.

TM had Roy Helu, Niles Paul, Rex Burkhead, Kenny Bell, Ameer Abdullah and other NFL dudes during his 4 year career at Nebraska. Along with a defense that could actually stop a few teams once in a while.

jammal was a different time and place...
adrian needs a 'go-to' guy or two, but he can't lock-on.
taylor struggled with short pass, but connected on some huge deep passes...its hard comparing anyone to him when he turned on the jets.

Reactions: bigredhunter
No.. I think Tmarts speed and the ability to actually correctly read a zone read play is what led to more rushing yards.

A losing season is pretty darn good?

And now you’re quoting Biden?

It’s official .. I’m debating an idiot.

No.. I think Tmarts speed and the ability to actually correctly read a zone read play is what let to more rushing yards.

A losing season is pretty darn good?

And now you’re quoting Biden?

It’s official .. I’m debating an idiot.
Lovely.

I have no argument so I'll just call you an idiot.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Lovely.

I have no argument so I'll just call you an idiot.
See first part why TMart has more rushing yards than AMart.

You think a losing season is a success. You think AMart is better than TMart. I think idiocy is good word to describe your thinking.

See first part why TMart has more rushing yards than AMart.

You think a losing season is a success. You think AMart is better than TMart. I think idiocy is good word to describe your thinking.

Never said AM was better than TM.

However, you ride the rail that AM needs to be benched.

Never said AM was better than TM.

However, you ride the rail that AM needs to be benched.

You alluded to it with stats and your comments.

It’s obvious he needs to start.. only option. I just hope we hand the ball off and don’t rely on AMart very much. He’s prone to throwing picks, and fumbles when he runs the ball.

Yeah, but is that Heisman worthy? I can't remember, but pretty sure Eddie George ran for 2000 that year. Numbers wise, I think he was actually better.
Eddie only ran for 1,900 that year.

Great player that went on to prove himself in the NFl, but Tommie was better.

Stats never encapsulated Tommie's impact on a game at Nebraska. I think the 1995 Orange Bowl in which he earned the MVP award was one of his crowning moments. In a Husker win in which he was a part-time starter and amassed all of 56 yards of offense, 0 TDs, and an INT is indicative of his impact on a game.

AM:

TM:

I would say, yes they are very different. 1,600 yards passing and 1,200 yards rushing is a lot. Plus two Conference Championship game appearances and a Big Ten Player of the Year award for TM.

Tmart is finally starting to get love from the lame fans that hated him.
Amart does/did not have a "head" problem, he had a lame ass WR problem. If that is fixed this year, look for really good numbers.

Tmart is finally starting to get love from the lame fans that hated him.
Amart does/did not have a "head" problem, he had a lame ass WR problem. If that is fixed this year, look for really good numbers.

WRs made him fumble? Interesting hypothesis.. do go on..

You do realize JLo got a ton a criticism because he was the first qb after three elite qbs. No one will look good taking snaps after Frazier, Frost, and Crouch.

We look back now saying damn we wish we had JLo instead of terrible AMart.
Ive heard NOONE say that. People want the OFFENSE that Lord had. Lord would struggle MIGHTLY in our current offense. Amart would be serviceable (not great) in the option.

I would say, yes they are very different. 1,600 yards passing and 1,200 yards rushing is a lot. Plus two Conference Championship game appearances and a Big Ten Player of the Year award for TM.
1 guy has a year left.

The other guys stats are done.

And oh by the way, TM was never even B10 1st team much less Big 10 Player of the Year.

You do realize people remember stuff, and the internet is freely available, right?

Yeah, but is that Heisman worthy? I can't remember, but pretty sure Eddie George ran for 2000 that year. Numbers wise, I think he was actually better.
I guess it depends on who do you think should get the Heisman. The best player or the guy who racked up massive stats. Voters tend to like the stats I guess. But Tommie was a champion who made the big plays in the big games. He was the MVP of 3 national championship games.

So better defenses had nothing to do with Taylor's record vs Adrian?

As Joe Biden so confidently states "C'mon Man!".

When Adrian had Devine Ozigbo, Stanley Morgan, and Maurice Washington, he was pretty damn good as a Frosh. Amazing how that happens.

TM had Roy Helu, Niles Paul, Rex Burkhead, Kenny Bell, Ameer Abdullah and other NFL dudes during his 4 year career at Nebraska. Along with a defense that could actually stop a few teams once in a while.
TM had some of the worst defenses in Husker history.

TM is the best QB we've had since Crouch. He carried some of those teams to victory and was clutch at end of a lot of games. He made some bonehead plays but he played hard when others were quitting.
****Cough***joe Ganz***Cough***

Joe was a MUCH better QB than TM
  • Holds 23 Nebraska School Records
  • NU Single-Game Record Holder for Passing Yards (510),
  • Total Offense (528) and Passing TDs (7)
  • Nebraska Season Record Holder for Passing Yards,
  • Pass Completions and Total Offense
  • Second at Nebraska in Career Passing Yards and Touchdown Passes

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT