ADVERTISEMENT

Jamie Nance is N

Welcome to the family. GBR!! Nance picked the Huskers over Notre Dame, TCU and a host of other offers, after naming a Top 7 of TCU, Missouri, Baylor, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ole Miss and Mississippi State, earlier this week. Nance also held offers from Tulsa, Toledo and others.
eurbrqy7lfyalsvnxiz4

Last edited:
Watched his highlight video. Not sure about the competition level, but he just runs by his guy every time, they throw him the ball, TD.
10.5 100, 21.62 200. Speed, speed, speedhttps://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-football-scott-frost-speed-cornhuskers You can’t beat what you can’t catch. And Frost knows that better than anybody.
  • Frost as Ducks offensive coordinator in 2013: 45.5 points per game.
  • Frost as Ducks offensive coordinator in 2014: 45.4 points per game.

Last edited:
Great addition for this class.. in fact i think is the only wr so far correct? Welcome aboard!!

Not trying to be a d-bag, but I'm going to come across as one saying this in his commitment thread... I don't like the fact that both instate teams did not offer him!

OU already has 3 WR committed for 2019, one 5-star and two 4-stars. They didn't even offer the #1 in-state WR recruit, Demariyon Houston, who has offers from about everyone, including Alabama and Texas.

Not sure why Okie St isn't interested. Maybe the dis-interest is mutual. OkSt is hard after Demariyon Houston and they might have seen Nance as a backup option. You also have to remember that OU and OkSt both get most of their offensive skill-position recruits from the state of Texas.

I’m gonna reserve judgment for the 3 year development period / wizard Frost batting average on evaluating talent that can overachieve high school talent rankings.
When Sooners come to town and Nance burns by Bookie? Well,,,, when/if- we’ll feel sticky down below.
gbr

Reactions: headcard
Great news.. looks like he has good vision and could play defense too. All around weapon.

OU already has 3 WR committed for 2019, one 5-star and two 4-stars. They didn't even offer the #1 in-state WR recruit, Demariyon Houston, who has offers from about everyone, including Alabama and Texas.

Not sure why Okie St isn't interested. Maybe the dis-interest is mutual. OkSt is hard after Demariyon Houston and they might have seen Nance as a backup option. You also have to remember that OU and OkSt both get most of their offensive skill-position recruits from the state of Texas.
Nance is fast, but pretty small and Oklahoma State typically recruits big receivers. I do see that they already have one smaller kid out of Tennessee committed. Maybe they don't think Nance is a great fit for what they are looking for?

And secondly, there are just a ton of fast receivers down there in Texas. There were several very good kids other than Nance who came to "The Show" in Stillwater and left without an offer.

There is always at least one...

Legit concerns with a nice response from Harray Caray.

Guess what? High 4 and 5 star WR talent (NFL prototypes) most likely won't sniff Nebraska, cuz we've put what, one guy in the NFL at that position (Fryar).

Now, these speedy guys who kill all over the field wreaking havoc with their ability to create separation and burn to the end zone? We can get these guys. Frost's system is perfect for them. GBR

10.5 100, 21.62 200. Speed, speed, speedhttps://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-football-scott-frost-speed-cornhuskers You can’t beat what you can’t catch. And Frost knows that better than anybody.
  • Frost as Ducks offensive coordinator in 2013: 45.5 points per game.
  • Frost as Ducks offensive coordinator in 2014: 45.4 points per game.

This. Too many people just look at the rating from recruiting guru's and jump to a conclusion without knowing the recruiting method this coaching staff uses. They want kids to run track to verify speed.

Reactions: saluno22

Guess what? High 4 and 5 star WR talent (NFL prototypes) most likely won't sniff Nebraska, cuz we've put what, one guy in the NFL at that position (Fryar).

Now, these speedy guys who kill all over the field wreaking havoc with their ability to create separation and burn to the end zone? We can get these guys. Frost's system is perfect for them. GBR
Wrong. (Again).

Thats not what you said in your pst. Nice attempt to switch.

I was trying to say we've never had a lot of success recruiting NFL prototype #1 receivers, never have except for Fryar. Frost's system can bring in speed that doesn't necessarily project there (not high 4 and five star), and we can still murder people, to clarify.

I was trying to say we've never had a lot of success recruiting NFL prototype #1 receivers, never have except for Fryar. Frost's system can bring in speed that doesn't necessarily project there (not high 4 and five star), and we can still murder people, to clarify.
Agreed.

We've got a couple of WRs in the league right now...but I don't disagree with your point. IF you're good enough, the NFL will find you.

Our past history of not developing NFL talent at the WR position is irrelevant. This offense is a new animal. I don't think coach Frost gives a rip about star rankings anyway. He knows what he wants.

Our past history of not developing NFL talent at the WR position is irrelevant. This offense is a new animal. I don't think coach Frost gives a rip about star rankings anyway. He knows what he wants.

Sounds too much like a "Bo apologist," but I don't disagree, except for the fact our past history IS relevant, which is why you don't see our roster littered with high 4 and 5 star WR.

Those guys have and for the most part end up at Bama, Clemson, Florida, FSU, Oklahoma, Texas, etc, etc, etc. Hopefully we will get a few over time and success, but I'm not too worried about it.

Not trying to be a d-bag, but I'm going to come across as one saying this in his commitment thread... I don't like the fact that both instate teams did not offer him!
He has some impressive offers though like Notre Dame, TCU, Baylor, Ole Miss. Had recently visited ND.

Expecting elite WR talent to flock to us that also meeting the speed requirement is not realistic at the moment. They didn't flock to Oregon right away either during the Chip Kelly era.

Kids that are young, early years in high school, and middle school will be able to watch the Frost offense do its magic and the interest will grow. Most of those WR kids will still end up along the coasts, but getting a couple here and there will eventually happen.

Nance fits all of the requirements - speed, natural catcher, can play CB well, state champ in track, and the speed translates to both sports.

It's not necessarily about what Nebraska has put in the NFL, but how Nebraska will be using them under this staff.

For reference, here is a list of Nebraska players selected as WRs in the NFL draft:
Year: Rd-Pick (Overall Pick) Name, Team, Pos (Notable professional contributions)
1966: 9-07 (132) Freeman White, New York Giants, WR (5 professional seasons, 4 with NYG)
1973: 1-25 (25) Johnny Rodgers, San Diego Chargers, WR (Played in CFL for 4 seasons as an all-star, then 2 in San Diego)
1974: 10-01 (235) Frosty Anderson, New Orleans Saints, WR
1975: 6-1 (131) Don Westbrook, Baltimore Colts, WR (5 seasons in New England)
1975: 14-20 (358) Ritch Bahe, St. Louis Cardinals, WR
1979: 10-16 (264) Frank Lockett, Green Bay Packers, WR (6 professional seasons across USFL and NFL)
1980: 3-23 (79) Tim Smith, Houston Oilers, WR (7 seasons with Houston: 206 rec, 3107 yds)
1980: 10-09 (258) Ken Brown, Minnesota Vikings, WR
1981: 9-14 (235) John Noonan, Miami Dolphins, WR
1983: 6-14 (154) Todd Brown, Detroit Lions, WR
1984: 1-01 (1) Irving Fryar, New England Patriots, WR (17 NFL seasons: 851 rec/44 rush, 13,027 scrimmage yds, 85 TDs, 5 pro bowls)
1985: 12-07 (315) Shane Swanson, Cleveland Browns, WR
1988: 11-23 (300) Hendley Hawkins, Cleveland Browns, WR
1989: 8-09 (204) Dana Brinson, San Diego Chargers, WR
1992: 7-25 (193) Jon Bostick, Denver Broncos, WR
2001: 6-03 (166) Bobby Newcombe, Arizona Cardinals, WR
2002: 3-30 (95) Eric Crouch, St. Louis Rams, WR (sort of)
2011: 5-23 (155) Niles Paul, Washington Redskins, WR (6 seasons with Washington, moved to TE and still active)
2014: 6-33 (209) Quincy Enunwa, New York Jets, WR (4 seasons with NYJ, still active)
2015: 5-26 (162) Kenny Bell, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, WR (3 seasons on practice squads, currently with Denver)
Among current players, I'd assume Morgan and Spielman will get drafted.

You're right, not a lot of career studs outside of that #1 overall pick in 1984. It's also a function of the systems that were run at NU. That doesn't mean it can't happen.

For comparison, here are the Oregon players drafted as WRs:
Year: Rd-Pick (Overall Pick) Name, Team, Pos (Notable professional contributions)
1971: 7-16 (172) Bob Newland, New Orleans Saints, WR (4 seasons with New Orleans: 124 rec, 1877 yds, 8 TDs)
1972: 8-08 (190) Leland Glass, Green Bay Packers, WR (2 seasons with Green Bay)
1972: 1-04 (4), Ahmad Rashād (aka Bobby Moore), St. Louis Cardinals, WR (10 seasons, 4 Pro Bowls: 495 rec/10 rush, 6883 scrimmage yards, 44 TDs)
1980: 8-04 (197) Don Coleman, Denver Broncos, WR (2 seasons with New Orleans)
1986: 5-28 (138) Lew Barnes, Chicago Bears, WR (3 seasons, bounced around as a return man)
1988: 8-23 (216) J.J. Birden, Cleveland Browns, WR (9 seasons, mostly with KC: 244 rec, 3441 yds, 17 TDs)
1998: 2-12 (42) Patrick Johnson, Baltimore Ravens, WR (7 seasons, mostly with Baltimore: 84 rec, 1286 yds, 10 TDs)
2003: 7-07 (221) Keenan Howry, Minnesota Vikings, WR (3 seasons with Minnesota, still in the CFL)
2004: 4-09 (105) Samie Parker, Kansas City Chiefs, WR (4 seasons with KC: 110 rec, 1529 yds, 7 TDs)
2005: 7-09 (223) Marcus Maxwell, San Francisco 49ers, WR (not much to report, bounced around various leagues for a while)
2006: 4-14 (111) Demetrius Williams, Baltimore Ravens, WR (5 NFL seasons, 4 with Baltimore: 63 rec, 1008 yds, 4 TDs)
2007: 6-36 (210) Jordan Kent, Seattle Seahawks, WR (2 NFL seasons, 1 reception)
2014: 3-22 (86) Josh Huff, Philadelphia Eagles, WR (3 NFL seasons, didn't play in 2017, now with New Orleans but currently suspended by the NFL: 83 rec, 523 yds, 4 TDs)

From the time Frost was at Oregon (2009-2015; 2009-2012 WR, 2013-2015 OC/QB), they only had one WR drafted into the NFL. But I'm sure we'd accept Oregon's success during that span.

As others have pointed out, with this staff, it isn't about the stars necessarily, but finding players with speed who can develop into tools for the system. Once Nebraska starts winning some games on a bigger stage, then you'll see stars interested. I'm optimistic that'll happen one day, and also content for now with the staff's ability to find diamonds in the rough and develop. Ryan Held feasts on that, as another poster pointed out in a different thread. He's had to working at Division 2 and JUCO schools.

Here is Oregon's recruiting (Rivals) during Frost's time there...
2009: #32 Team Ranking
(2) 4-star, (1) 3-star, (2) 2-star WRs
Nick Cole, WR, Concord, CA, 6'3", 185, 5.2 **
Tyrece Gaines, WR, El Dorado, KS, 6'2", 225, 5.9 ****
Braxton Lane, WR, Tyrone, GA, 5'10", 187, 5.4 **
Diante Jackson, WR, Walnut Creek, CA, 6'0", 188, 5.8 ****
Lavasier Tuinei, WR, Huntington Beach, CA, 6'6", 195, 5.6 ***
Zero RBs and ATHs taken recruited this class.

2010: #13 Team Ranking
0 WRs taken in this class
4-star Josh Huff and 5-star Lache Seastrunk were recruited as RBs.
4-star Keanon Lowe recruited as an athlete.

2011: #9 Team Ranking
(3) 4-star, (1) 3-star WRs
B.J. Kelley, WR, Fresno, CA, 6'2", 175, 5.6 ***
Devon Blackmon, WR, Fontana, CA, 6'0", 175, 6.0 ****
Rahsaan Vaughn, WR, San Mateo, CA, 6'2", 190, 5.8 ****
Tacoi Sumler, WR, Miami, FL, 5'8", 151, 5.8 ****
5-star De'Anthony Thomas was recruited as an athlete.

2012: #16 Team Ranking
(2) 4-star, (1) 3-star WRs
Chance Allen, WR, Missouri City, TX, 6'3", 191, 5.6 ***
Bralon Addison, WR, Missouri City, TX, 5'10", 182, 5.8 ****
Dwayne Stanford, WR, Cincinnati, OH, 6'5", 185, 5.8 ****
4-star RB Byron Marshall and 3-star ATH Oshay Dunmore recruited in this class.

2013: #22 Team Ranking
(2) 4-star WRs
Devon Allen, WR, Phoenix, AZ, 6'1", 190, 5.8 ****
Darren Carrington, WR, San Diego, CA, 6'2", 187, 5.8 ****
5-star Thomas Tyner and 2-star Kani Benoit recruited at RB.
4-star Tyree Robinson, 4-star Tyrell Robinson, and 3-star Chris Seisay recruited as ATHs.

2014: #26 Team Ranking
(1) 4-star WR
Jalen Brown, WR, Phoenix, AZ, 6'2", 183, 5.9 ****
4-star Tony James and 4-star Royce Freeman recruited at RB.
3-star Charles Nelson recruited as an athlete.

2015: #17 Team Ranking
(2) 4-star WRs
Kirk Merritt, WR, Destrehan, LA, 5'11", 203, 5.8 ****
Alex Ofodile, WR, Columbia, MO, 6'1", 201, 5.8 ****
4-star Malik Lovett and 4-star Taj Griffin recruited at RB.

Oregon had solid recruiting during Frost's time as an assistant. But they have also had a recent 7-year drought of WRs being drafted into the NFL: only 1 WR drafted during (and as of now, after) Frost's time at the school. And they were a good if not great team during that time.

EDIT: I apologize for the long post, I definitely went down the rabbit hole this morning.

Last edited:
Nance was especially interested in getting to know McCaffrey, understanding that's the QB who could be throwing him passes on Saturdays down the road.

"That was a big part to me, just seeing who the quarterback was going to be. When I knew it was him, I was like, 'Dang, are you Christian McCaffrey's little brother?' He said, 'Yeah.' I'm thinking, 'Dang, that whole family tree is going to be something big.' He's going to do something big at Nebraska. I'm happy to be part of it."

Nance has plans to become something big in this Husker offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT