ADVERTISEMENT

Replacements for Alberts - time to move on

Really?

That is nuts, I had no idea. How did he make that kind of jump?
It really is incredible. Just a few years ago I was watching him coach TINY Parkview Christian at the Beatrice City Auditorium in the MUDECAS tournament. That hardly seems possible going from there to the NBA.

A couple we should kick the tires on that jump to my mind.

Travis Goff KU: He is young, ambitious, and extremely frustrated with their NIL situation. Hired a great FB coach who turned their program around and has invested in FB facilities. He’s a KU guy, but Trev was a Nebraska guy so…..

Mack Rhodes Baylor: He weathered the Briles scandal, so he should be able to handle this Chuck Love soap opera. Hired Rhule and has overseen facilities upgrades for BB and FB.
Rhoades suggestion might be the best of all, but only if he is close to Rhule. I realize the AD job has lots of responsibilities but nothing more important that getting the train wreck football program back on track. The last thing we need is Rhule looking around. But Rhoades or any top alternatives may not like the NU administrative chaos. (WTF is the Board doing about hiring a President?)

Last edited:
Glassman would be a slam dunk, pun intended, but doubt he'd take the pay cut.

I'm assuming associate commissioner makes more than AD. This bor doing anything logical is a stretch

Rhoades suggestion might be the best of all, but only if he is close to Rhule. I realize the AD job has lots of responsibilities but nothing more important that getting the train wreck football program back on track. The last thing we need is Rhule looking around. But Rhoades or any top alternatives may not like the NU administrative chaos. (WTF is the Board doing about hiring a President?)
I firmly agree with you, he has experience he isn’t someone connected to Nebraska in general and he has hired Rhule the first time..

would actually be perfect.

make it easier to steal Klieman at some point if needed.
back to this again, lol. gene taylor is 66-years old. i think you need to focus on someone younger.

if you want a k-stater look to memphis at laird veatch. a good dude. played linebacker for snyder. venables roomie. was john currie's fundraiser during all the renovations down here. then went to florida in a similar role before taking the memphis job.

It really is incredible. Just a few years ago I was watching him coach TINY Parkview Christian at the Beatrice City Auditorium in the MUDECAS tournament. That hardly seems possible going from there to the NBA.

He was also an attorney. Alex Gordon’s agent He was well connected in NY through his law firm in Omaha It’s not like he was a simple HS coach. Don’t get me wrong it’s a nice story and he deserves credit,

TJ was a big time home run. Look at his track record of hiring who he wants. As high a percentage of successful hires that I have observed in my lifetime. The only bad hire was one that was forced on him by a previous president(Steven Leath) who then had to leave Ames because of his illegal use of the University airplanes for personal use. Leath forced Pollard to hire Steve Prohm the former men's basketball coach. And we know how that turned out. Pollard is very bright, has a high regard for UNL and his daughter went to UNL as a student to run cross country. He may not want to leave Iowa State but if he did UNL would get a close look because he is a midwest guy that would really like the future and financial stability of the BIG versus the Big 12.
Leath's piloting of an ISU plane was not illegal, but it was ill advised. I would be shocked if Jamie didn't shepherd his signature project, CyTown, to completion and then retire.

back to this again, lol. gene taylor is 66-years old. i think you need to focus on someone younger.

if you want a k-stater look to memphis at laird veatch. a good dude. played linebacker for snyder. venables roomie. was john currie's fundraiser during all the renovations down here. then went to florida in a similar role before taking the memphis job.

i only want who might allow us to steal your coach, unfortunately.

that bridge has been crossed.
not really. that's not a guarantee it will never happen, but every year there are shocking departures that destroy the "no he's here for good" argument.

get into a situation where the Big 12 is viewed as a G5 conference, and a guy who consistently exceeds expectations is going to be very stealable.

not really. that's not a guarantee it will never happen, but every year there are shocking departures that destroy the "no he's here for good" argument.

get into a situation where the Big 12 is viewed as a G5 conference, and a guy who consistently exceeds expectations is going to be very stealable.
a lot a variables in that equation.

We need to work from the top and work our way down starting with getting a President first. That way each of the levels can buy in to the selections below them and have a unified team. Surely the Regents must have identified some decent candidates by now so they need to get to a decision quickly. Maybe the Governor needs to get involved with the Regents.

a lot a variables in that equation.
you're right, but its not difficult to envision a future where the 4th best B1G/SEC teams look much better than whoever wins the now very weak Big 12. there's a reason FSU wants out of the ACC.

I don't think we know where thall__ loyalties lie just an fyi
to the sunshine & sprinkles parade, brutal honesty is met with confusion.

Here's a list of potential replacements from Robin Washut of HuskerOnline.

John Cook, Nebraska volleyball coach
The four-time national champion took over Husker volleyball in 2000. He helped the program move from the NU Coliseum to the Devaney Center, including a $20 million renovation.

Mack Rhoades, Baylor athletic director
In his seven-year tenure at Baylor, the Bears have won 24 Big 12 titles and seven national championships. Rhoades also hired current Nebraska football coach Matt Rhule to lead Baylor's program in 2016.

Garth Glissman, SEC men's basketball associate commissioner
Glissman has served as the men's basketball associate commissioner since 2023, and was previously the vice president of basketball operations for the National Basketball Association. He played football and basketball at Nebraska and was also a lawyer in Omaha.

Ed Stewart, University of Southern California executive senior associate athletic director
The former Husker standout is a football administrator for the Trojans. He was also the Big 12 conference's executive associate commissioner for football for 16 years.

Allen Greene, Tennessee senior deputy athletic director
In November 2023, Greene was named the senior deputy athletic director at Tennessee after previously at Ole Miss as the senior deputy athletic director and external relations and business development. He was also Auburn's athletic director from 2018-2022.

Matt Davison, 1890 Initiative president
The former Husker football standout leads Nebraska's NIL collective, the 1890 Initiative. He was previously the associate athletic director at NU, helping plan and design Nebraska's new Football Performance Center.

Bruce Rasmussen, former Creighton athletic director
Rasmussen retired in 2021 after 27 years as Creighton University's athletic director. He's credited with Creighton's success in the Missouri Valley, as well as the Jays' entrance into the Big East conference in 2013.

Who are some of the candidates who could replace Trev Alberts as Nebraska's athletic director?

• Wow
Reactions: dinglefritz

The four-time national champion took over Husker volleyball in 2000. He helped the program move from the NU Coliseum to the Devaney Center, including a $20 million renovation.

In his seven-year tenure at Baylor, the Bears have won 24 Big 12 titles and seven national championships. Rhoades also hired current Nebraska football coach Matt Rhule to lead Baylor's program in 2016.

Glissman has served as the men's basketball associate commissioner since 2023, and was previously the vice president of basketball operations for the National Basketball Association. He played football and basketball at Nebraska and was also a lawyer in Omaha.

Ed Stewart, University of Southern California executive senior associate athletic director
The former Husker standout is a football administrator for the Trojans. He was also the Big 12 conference's executive associate commissioner for football for 16 years.

In November 2023, Greene was named the senior deputy athletic director at Tennessee after previously at Ole Miss as the senior deputy athletic director and external relations and business development. He was also Auburn's athletic director from 2018-2022.

The former Husker football standout leads Nebraska's NIL collective, the 1890 Initiative. He was previously the associate athletic director at NU, helping plan and design Nebraska's new Football Performance Center.

Rasmussen retired in 2021 after 27 years as Creighton University's athletic director. He's credited with Creighton's success in the Missouri Valley, as well as the Jays' entrance into the Big East conference in 2013.

Who are some of the candidates who could replace Trev Alberts as Nebraska's athletic director?
Davison. Um no.🤢 Stewart can stay in California.

Reactions: leodisflowers

Glissman is quite a story, but his experience and present duties do not translate to running an institutional athletic department. If you want someone from this list who can hit the ground running, look to Greene, Rasmussen or Rhoades. And while Stewart has worked on campus, he has very little fundraising experience, which is the main job of any AD these days. Perhaps his NU background would help make up for it.

Glissman is quite a story, but his experience and present duties do not translate to running an institutional athletic department. If you want someone from this list who can hit the ground running, look to Greene, Rasmussen or Rhoades. And while Stewart has worked on campus, he has very little fundraising experience, which is the main job of any AD these days. Perhaps his NU background would help make up for it.
no doubt there would be a learning curve for Glissman but IMO you hire bright people and support them. His experience in multiple areas of athletic administration would serve him well. I honestly don’t think you have to have been an AD to do the job well. We’ve got a dozen administrative assistants who do the lion’s share of the work.

Had a class with Garth Glissman in college. Very bright, extremely polite, and legit wore at least a shirt/tie every day to class, and often a jacket. The 60-ish year old lady teaching the class just loved him, and he knew it.

• Haha
Reactions: huskerfan66
no doubt there would be a learning curve for Glissman but IMO you hire bright people and support them. His experience in multiple areas of athletic administration would serve him well. I honestly don’t think you have to have been an AD to do the job well. We’ve got a dozen administrative assistants who do the lion’s share of the work.
100% agree. He's obviously the type of person that overachieves at everything he does. Zero doubt he would excel in the position. He wouldn't be my #1 but he's a very interesting name.

Lost a lot of credibility by having Davison and Rasmussen on there

Exactly. Sometimes bright up and comers are way better than a veteran. You can argue both sides, but maybe Glissman brings something to the table that a lot of the others don't. Just like in anything, you go for the best talent.

Exactly. Sometimes bright up and comers are way better than a veteran. You can argue both sides, but maybe Glissman brings something to the table that a lot of the others don't. Just like in anything, you go for the best talent.
I had the opportunity to visit with a top exec with John Deere several years ago. He made the point that they try to hire really bright people with excellent people skills. He said their discipline of study or previous work was secondary for upper management. One exception of course is accounting based positions where you have to be a bean counter first.

Okay, as long as we're throwing shit against the wall here, hear me out on this one from right field: Fred Hoiberg.

Why not? He looks and sounds like Trev Alberts, he has front office NBA experience, he knows the landscape at Nebraska, knows the landscape of NIL and the Portal, plus everyone says his heart can barely take the stress of sideline coaching. He'd have to take a slight pay cut, but if he was ever looking to leave coaching on a high note and slide into something on the admin side this would be the time.

Having said all that, I'm still on the side of hiring a successful current AD. Just thought I'd put my own wild idea out there with the rest of you.

I admit to not knowing who he is but I love what I read here. He appears dedicated to the student athlete and an excellent communicator and well respected. He has spent time in both the BB and FB programs so it isn’t like he has never stepped onto a field.

Reactions: mgbreis
Both would be home run hires.
I'm all for Mack Rhoades. I would settle for, well I don't think I would settle for anyone else. The Rhule of thumb is usually to come in and fire the HFC and I'm pretty sure Rhule and Rhoades would be happy to work together again.

Reactions: headcard
All the speculation about a replacement AD is pointless, by the time the BOR gets done putting their search committee together, mulling over possible candidates and reaching consensus on the next AD half the people who are being discussed here will be retired or dead.

rhodes is loathed at missouri and not well thought of at baylor.

GoodOleBaylorLine
2:57p, 3/7/24

I think Mack understands he is likely following Aranda out the door or at a minimum there will be some very tough questions about why he is the highest paid AD in the B12, so 2024, 2025, 2026, 2030 ... all good in his book with no win minimum.

Whether someone else grows some balls and fires both of them, we will see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT