ADVERTISEMENT

J Alexander Keung

All I hear is crickets. EVERYBODY can protest and complain but actually inacting a solution is much much tougher to do. Individual humans are going to do what they do like killing a man who should have been arrested but didn't deserve what he got. You can't condemn all cops based on what a few did any more than you should condemn all blacks for the looting. The system in Minnesota failed. That cop should have been off of the force long ago. Is it a police union problem? Is it because it's damned tough to hire law enforcement? Clearly given that guy's past record, he had NO business still being employed by the city. Klobuchar is complicit in this killing. She refused to charge him for past crimes when she could have.
Saw some stats last night where police forces with unions had higher rates of misconduct. Interesting to me because I'm usually a "union guy" but I recognize the potential for unions to be used for extreme and/or negative purposes.

Everyone understands that humans are flawed and some of them do bad things. It's where the cops who do these things (specifically commit murder) have not been punished appropriately for it that sparks the outrage.

Nobody expects for everyone to be treated the same. The justice system is supposed to punish crimes the way they deserve to be punished. There is a history of that not happening when cops beat or kill or falsely arrest somebody.

That can't be tolerated. A dude does that kind of stuff, he can't be a cop any more. Can't be "bad apples" with LEOs, the job is too important.

It’s a tough problem. I would start here:

1) If you're on the clock, you're on camera: mandatory body cams for every cop

2) Cops are accountable to our communities: mandatory civilian reviews of all police brutality reports

3) Cops can be better, so let's train them to be: mandatory training in non-violent and non-lethal policing

It's amazing how many times the body cams or car cams have stopped working at certain times. I wholeheartedly agree with the cams, and for there to be legislation increasing the standard of proof in a criminal case when the cops cam doesn't record (although I am fully convinced that there is more than one prosecutor's office out there that somehow forgets to send, or misplaces things, and they don't get to the defense attorney). Also, There must be community leaders having regular meetings with cops. You build relationships, and trust to a certain degree.

Joe Rogan was talking about all cops having to at least get a purple belt in Jui Jitsu in order to know how to properly maintain body control as well as understand how different chokes and things affect the body. Thought it was a pretty cool idea and could help in my eyes.
That would be a great idea. Maybe after a certain age desk duty as well. Prime fitness should be a prerequisite

Now in these discussions there will be people asking for solutions and people offering solutions (I hope).

" . . . we must expect more from cops and up the standards . . ."

Expecting more from cops is a fine idea, but it can't be a one-way street where we expect cops to protect us and lower the standards of behavior for everyone else, which is exactly what we have been doing for a long time. The legislation and court rulings over the last 70 years have been an effort to correct past injustice. Have they succeeded? Obviously not. That's because people seeking power and blue-sky idealists have fanned the flames of hatred. Sometimes, probably most of the time we were exacting a price from people who not only had nothing to do with slavery or intolerance, but many who had tried to fix it. I lost family in the civil war (on the side of the north) and 2nd world war (on the side of actual anti-fascism). Both wars attempting to create a more enlightened future.

THERE IS NO FIXING THE PAST. Humanity got to the top of the food chain by indulging it's dark, aggressive, greedy, callous, megalomaniacal side. Competition for survival combined with complex gray matter created a super-predator capable of unspeakable cruelty. But there is a tiny sliver of hope in this story. We are the only species that we know of in the Universe which rejects its basic programming. And that's a very recent thing. And it's a struggle. It's why we invented rules and religion to govern ourselves. We recognize our capacity for evil and most of us reject it, and quite often fail in the journey and then try to pay it forward as contrition for our failure. But there are outliers and we can't let power-seekers convince us they are the norm. The Minneapolis cop supposedly was entering a divorce scenario when this happened. It doesn't excuse him, but it gives us context. Racism made him kill a black man? Or was his world falling apart and he took it out on someone else because he couldn't control his rage? He's gonna go to prison, and that is a big part of the solution. Nixon should've gone to prison, and he didn't. The 44th President should be charged with crimes and go to jail, but he won't be. Little people like us need to see that the powerful aren't above the law. But Holder, Lynch, Sessions, Barr and a thousand others have let us down and so we get disillusioned and we want to give up and join the mob in our rage.

Ya know what the solution is? It's the same as it has been for thousands of years. Seek a civil society by enacting rules and then punishing those who break those rules.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...kb4-story.html#nt=latestnews&rt=chartbeat-flt

I want this guy to go to jail for a long time . . . because all it takes for the triumph of evil, is that good people indulge it.

NXSNTJD33ZANNAMZNLC2GVOMTU.jpg

Last edited:

2) Cops are accountable to our communities: mandatory civilian reviews of all police brutality reports

3) Cops can be better, so let's train them to be: mandatory training in non-violent and non-lethal policing

Some good ideas. Now let’s pay for them.

What program are you going to take away To pay for body cameras? The city of Houston is going to furlough police officers and isn’t going to have any new hires for a period of time because their budget shortage. So they don’t have the money to pay for actual police officers let alone body cameras for all officers.

I like the idea of the community review board. However I don’t want some Karen or whatever the male version of a Karen is, let’s go with Stan, who thinks any sort of aggressive behavior is brutality. There needs to be a concrete definition of brutality.

sorry, not sure I agree with #3 in entirety. Being a cop is dangerous. If you haven’t had the opportunity to do a ride along, I highly suggest you inquire into doing this. Speaking of ride alongs, every member of the committee in number 2 needs to be required to spend a specific amount of time with a police officer. Let them see what the police encounter on a daily basis. Having a civilian along will probably also help the LEO to resist any unnecessary actions with the extra set of eyes.

I think it would be wise for people to get this idea out of their head that cops are essentially good guys.

Quite the opposite in my opinion. The majority of cops, are basically criminals. It takes one to catch one and they are 2 sides of the same coin, except one has a badge, a weapon, a radio and backup.

This makes cops much more dangerous than your run of the mill criminal or even gang member.

Avoid putting yourself into bad situations if you can.

You would not put yourself in the middle of a drug deal, so why would you want to ever be in an encounter with the police?

If you are in an encounter, it would be wise to be polite, follow instructions exactly, and pose no threat to them.

Your odds of coming out the other side are much better this way.

See, if everyone actually thought of the police in this way, you wouldn't all be freaking out over the stuff that is happening. The only reason people are freaking out is because they believe the lie about the police being there to serve and protect.

Unless you are a politician, they are not there to serve or protect you.

I think it would be wise for people to get this idea out of their head that cops are essentially good guys.

Quite the opposite in my opinion. The majority of cops, are basically criminals. It takes one to catch one and they are 2 sides of the same coin, except one has a badge, a weapon, a radio and backup.

This makes cops much more dangerous than your run of the mill criminal or even gang member.

Avoid putting yourself into bad situations if you can.

You would not put yourself in the middle of a drug deal, so why would you want to ever be in an encounter with the police?

If you are in an encounter, it would be wise to be polite, follow instructions exactly, and pose no threat to them.

See, if everyone actually thought of the police in this way, you wouldn't all be freaking out over the stuff that is happening. The only reason people are freaking out is because they believe the lie about the police being there to serve and protect.

You can't be serious. I've known many cops in my lifetime. I've only run in to one scumbag and he got found out early and had his life really f'd up because of it. I played pickup ball with him. 99% of cops are good people and you couldn't pay me enough to do their jobs. They're there first and foremost to provide for their family THEN it's public service and believe me if they didn't believe they were doing something important they wouldn't put up with the sh## that being a police officer involves. They're human beings.

You can't be serious. I've known many cops in my lifetime. I've only run in to one scumbag and he got found out early and had his life really f'd up because of it. I played pickup ball with him. 99% of cops are good people and you couldn't pay me enough to do their jobs. They're there first and foremost to provide for their family THEN it's public service and believe me if they didn't believe they were doing something important they wouldn't put up with the sh## that being a police officer involves. They're human beings.

I share your feelings and wish to expound on them. We can't let cynicism turn into nihilism. We can't teach our children that the police are the enemy.
Then you have an 11yr old girl running for her life from a pedophile and she sees a cop who can protect her, but Nikki told the little girl that's where the danger is, so the little girl quickly learns there is no one to protect her from threatening people and she collapses and assumes the fetal position in abject terror.
The absolutists are not oracles of wisdom. They counsel if there is one bad cop then all cops are bad. The absolutists and the catastrophists have brought us to this dystopian place.

I actually agree with this, in large part.

police are typically some of the dumber guys in your high school who've now been bestowed with tons of power over citizens.

brutality (obviously bad) aside, many police depts are glorified fund raisers for municipalities, constantly shaking down rule-abiding citizens for minor infractions while letting homeless and others run rampant.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Its been about 12 years ago now, but I used to have an Army master sergeant work for me who was black. He didn't show up for a night shift one night, but he did call in late to at least say he was alive or whatever.

He comes in later that night and says his house was broken into by a couple of Hispanic guys while he was getting ready for work and his wife was getting ready for bed. He drew his weapon, announced he was armed and went downstairs to clear and they had fled.

His wife had called the cops, and now he's panicking because he's an armed black man in a house with a reported break in. He said he was never so scared in his life. He set the gun down on a night stand and laid down on the floor with his hands behind his head. When the cops showed up, he announced through the door he was the homeowner and he had a weapon on the table that he had used to deter the robbers.

He knew the cops had no way of knowing whether he was lying or not, and for him, even though he had experienced minor bouts of racist events in his life, he said "shit got real" when they started opening up that door and he had no idea whether he was going to live or not even though he had submitted himself about as fully as one can get.

I sort of let that be my guide whenver I think folks don't have it all that bad. He wasn't prone to think so either until he lived it.

absolutely serious. you have to be willing to take the red pill and see things how they really are.. not how society wants to pretend that they are.

The only people you hear giving big praise to the police are politicians. Have you ever thought about why? Because the police are the only thing standing between the angry mob and those whom are in power.

The police are there to uphold the laws, norms, and society as it is, for those in power... ie. senators, legislators, mayors, judges, governors and even presidents.

Now, if you ask a cop why they are a cop, I'm sure you will get a lot of reasons, but usually it isn't to protect those in power. Most cops do it because to them, the job is fun. It's one huge ego trip, with lots of benefits including a paycheck.

My uncle retired as an active agent in the FBI I think 3 years ago now. He just now fully retired as their firearms instructor because he got some waivers to stay in after he aged out as an agent. The waivers are only good for 3 years.

He spent 20 years rolling up shit bag cops/entire police forces, particularly in the South in small towns. I know everyone likes to think of Police like its Mayberry, but its really not.

I have a lot of respect for cops and you couldn't pay me to do what they do, but there's more bad cops out there than peeps realize.

My uncle retired as an active agent in the FBI I think 3 years ago now. He just now fully retired as their firearms instructor because he got some waivers to stay in after he aged out as an agent. The waivers are only good for 3 years.

He spent 20 years rolling up shit bag cops/entire police forces, particularly in the South in small towns. I know everyone likes to think of Police like its Mayberry, but its really not.

I have a lot of respect for cops and you couldn't pay me to do what they do, but there's more bad cops out there than peeps realize.
No doubt there's some. I'm fortunate to live where I live. That said, take a look again at the statistics of who is killing who. The cops in urban areas are fairing a helluva lot worse than the people they're supposedly regularly abusing. The studies being done by Harvard etal are pretty eye opening.....does that make me "woke"?

The truth be told the cops that had to come through your uncle's door were possibly just as scared as your uncle.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and nwualum
People should watch this.

It would be nice if cops were Sheriff Andy Taylor. I doubt few people confuse TV with reality, but then again maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's our inability to separate fiction from reality.

"Training Day" -- is that reality?
"Mayberry" -- is that reality?
"Serpico" --- is that reality?

While it is true cops aren't Andy Taylor, the perps aren't Otis the town drunk. When you have to deal with an animal who feels justified in the most vicious behavior imaginable, it destroys a part of the soul. So cops make the choice that they want to make it home to their wife and/or children. The choices you have to make maybe 2 or 3 times in a lifetime, COPS have to make every day. Ask yourself this, of the people critical of the cops, what would they be like if they were veteran street cops? Would they be better? Worse? Or the same?

As it pertains to race and police brutality, this list is a good start for educating cops on the force and holding them accountable. I think we need to start much earlier. Before joining the force, police officers go to elementary, middle, and high school...and many go on to higher education or to serve in the military before going to the academy. All of their education and experiences on that journey affect the cops they become. If they have not gained cultural competency before joining the force, it is a steep uphill battle to educate them on the job in a meaningful way that will address issues of police brutality and racism. There are systemic failures in education in this country that have led to inadequately preparing citizens (and not just those who become cops) with the tools needed to function in a racially and culturally diverse country.

I don't expect my opinion to be shared by the majority of people reading this. That's fine, but thank you for reading it. I have been a strong advocate at my institution for the expansion of our curricula to equip students with knowledge and tools to be culturally competent individuals who recognize their own unintended biases, who are prepared to address racism when they see it, and who are informed on other issues related to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice. My opinion was largely shaped by the fact that over 10 years ago a group of companies who hire our graduates wrote my institution saying that we were not doing enough to prepare our students to work with or for people unlike themselves. Our school is not alone in this either. We responded accordingly, but it has been difficult because most students come to college having had little to no interaction with people unlike themselves and form their own cultural silos once on campus. It's difficult to push students outside of their comfort zone on these topics, but once they are, most respond and grow. Although it will take a long time to see the effect, I think if this kind of education is instilled much earlier and more broadly, it will begin to mitigate things like we saw last week.

I've talked with folks, mostly in federal law enforcement about the impact of the war on terror on the domestic home front.

As other posters have said, a good many cops, federal or otherwise, start out life in the military. Owing to the middle eastern wars, we have a whole generation and a half of young men particularly, who are really adept with firearms, clearing rooms, and more generally bringing aggression quickly and decisively upon an objective.

Lot of these folks feel that traditional "police work" has been a lost art and we've experienced a rapid "SWAT-ification" of the every day beat cop. Mostly because the applicant pool has the tactical part of the job down pat. Virtually no experience with investigative or other types of work. When you have a well honed hammer, every problem becomes a nail.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I do find it instructive when self-identified school representatives let us know that these cops have failed to learn the necessary lessons during their formative years.

School administrator: "these cops ain't that smart"

Me: "Yeah, well you had him for 12 years. Tell us all the wonderful success of our educational system over the last 50 years?"

School administrator: "well I ain't their parents"

Me: "exactly, our societal experiment of non-traditional families becoming the norm, how often have you ever spoken out about that?"

School administrator: "never"

Me: "maybe cops aren't the only people with insight issues"

I do find it instructive when self-identified school representatives let us know that these cops have failed to learn the necessary lessons during their formative years.

School administrator: "these cops ain't that smart"

Me: "Yeah, well you had him for 12 years. Tell us all the wonderful success of our educational system over the last 50 years?"

School administrator: "well I ain't their parents"

Me: "exactly, our societal experiment of non-traditional families becoming the norm, how often have you ever spoken out about that?"

School administrator: "never"

Me: "maybe cops aren't the only people with insight issues"

Not a lot of people in society that are ready, willing, or able to have this discussion, no matter how real.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Not a lot of people in society that are ready, willing, or able to have this discussion, no matter how real.

Cuz for a good many folks you bump elbows with in church or at the grocery store, those non-traditional families everyone is flaming on is their kids, and not some mystical bogeyman.

No one could get Dick Cheney to shut up, except his daughter.

There are good people and bad people in literally every profession. There are politicians tied to the mob, teachers who sleep with students, soldiers who have killed helpless POWs, doctors that have raped and murdered patients, programmers that steal identities and money, etc Generalizations are a waste of time. The vast majority of police are good people overall. I think the street cop has an unusually tough job in this day and age. I think the vast majorit support the use of body cams.

There are good people and bad people in literally every profession. There are politicians tied to the mob, teachers who sleep with students, soldiers who have killed helpless POWs, doctors that have raped and murdered patients, programmers that steal identities and money, etc Generalizations are a waste of time. The vast majority of police are good people overall. I think the street cop has an unusually tough job in this day and age. I think the vast majorit support the use of body cams.

True but when rolling up bad cops is a good chunk of effort for another career field, you could say the proportions are worse than most people realize.

Cuz for a good many folks you bump elbows with in church or at the grocery store, those non-traditional families everyone is flaming on is their kids, and not some mystical bogeyman.

No one could get Dick Cheney to shut up, except his daughter.

That's the point. We haven't just dumbed down cops, we've dumbed down everyone and then people are shocked when the institutions we have fail. Ya know JFK asked a lot of us to reach the moon in less than 10 years. We did it because we asked a lot of ourselves. If your response is "everyone is peeing against the dumpster so don't call me out for doing it" --- did your parents ever mention anything about 2 wrongs not making a right.
I for one am tired of people using someone's fail to justify their own. Ya know why Lincoln was great, because he wasn't setting the bar so low that anyone with the IQ of plant life could jump over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lincoln100
Last name Kueng is of Chinese origin. The spelling in mainland China is Kong. With a spelling of Kueng, his ancestor probably moved out of China before PRC was established. By his skin complexion, I'd guess he is of Chinese and Caribbean descent.

It’s also a Swiss last name (just check Linkedin).

That's the point. We haven't just dumbed down cops, we've dumbed down everyone and then people are shocked when the institutions we have fail. Ya know JFK asked a lot of us to reach the moon in less than 10 years. We did it because we asked a lot of ourselves. If your response is "everyone is peeing against the dumbster so don't call me out for doing it" --- did your parents ever mention anything about 2 wrongs not making a right.
I for one am tired of people using someone's fail to justify their own. Ya know why Lincoln was great, because he wasn't setting that bar so low that anyone with the IQ of plant life could jump over it.

No my response is that people find it hard to live the ideology. If its your kid that decided he was a homosexual and adopted a child, when I go to church on Sunday I rail away at how low society has gone. If its my kid, I don't. I justify it for some reason, beginning with I know my own kid and realize he's not the spawn of the devil.

Enough of that occurs on individual level and we collectively move leftwards. Because no matter what you believe and who you can quote to back it up, you aren't going to win a war between a parent and their child.

Although I don't know Kueng's ethnicity, I'm certain of his last name's origin, as I'm Chinese myself.

Don’t be so certain. His last name could also be European in origin. The country with the highest density of people with last name Kueng is Switzerland.

That's the point. We haven't just dumbed down cops, we've dumbed down everyone and then people are shocked when the institutions we have fail. Ya know JFK asked a lot of us to reach the moon in less than 10 years. We did it because we asked a lot of ourselves. If your response is "everyone is peeing against the dumpster so don't call me out for doing it" --- did your parents ever mention anything about 2 wrongs not making a right.
I for one am tired of people using someone's fail to justify their own. Ya know why Lincoln was great, because he wasn't setting that bar so low that anyone with the IQ of plant life could jump over it.

No reason to go muddying things up with personal accountability.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-soc...s/patrick-henry-high-school2/jalexander-kueng

This is one of the four police officers. Now I can't tell exactly what his ethnicity is, but he is certainly not white. I have been in agreement with charging all four because a man died for no reason, but we have to ask ourselves if racism was really the motivating factor. I'm afraid that an acquittal of any of the four will cause a lot of problems.
he looks hindu, or armenian

I like this list and also think it’s a good start, but I can already hear the pushback for point 1 due to privacy issues and other complexities people don’t want to deal with. It’s probably why they aren’t already on all the time for the cops who have them. Can’t see this being approved for plainclothes officers

Reactions: jrhuskerdad
J Alexander Keung: Thomas Lane, Tou Thao, and Derek Chauvin

Frenchman
Asian
Privileged Pale Rider
U.N. mutt

Damn diversity not working like it's supposed to . . . ;)

Last edited:
I like this list and also think it’s a good start, but I can already hear the pushback for point 1 due to privacy issues and other complexities people don’t want to deal with. It’s probably why they aren’t already on all the time for the cops who have them. Can’t see this being approved for plainclothes officers
Definitely is controversial. The way I look at it comes down to police officers being given the authority to take away life and to take away liberty when warranted. With such immense authority should come equivalent oversight (which will protect officers and those they serve). Mandatory body cams on at all times would supply oversight by providing clear evidence for the courts to make verdicts.

It becomes tricky in cases where there is a failure to record. Some argue that the jury should be allowed to determine if the failure was unreasonable (i.e. no evidence to support a malfunction). In cases where the failure to record is deemed unreasonable, the jury can devalue the officer's testimony. When multiple officers fail to record, the penalty could rise to including charges of conspiracy against officers. Of course we're talking about a handful of extreme cases where this would ever be relevant.

I think one Asian, one black or mixed, & 2 white men. Tou Thao is obviously Asian. Kueng i believe is mixed. Not that any of this matters except to all the news media outlets that kept pumping 4 white police officers as headlines. It’s bad no matter what.
Not that it's hugely important, but I am pretty sure Tou Thao is Hmong, an ethnic group from (mainly) Laos, Thailand, and China. There are sizable Hmong communities in Minnesota and Wisconsin...mainly refugees during and after the wars in Southeast Asia.

If you have ever seen Gran Torino, the ethnic group might ring a bell. The screenplay for that movie was actually set in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Not that it's hugely important, but I am pretty sure Tou Thao is Hmong, an ethnic group from (mainly) Laos, Thailand, and China. There are sizable Hmong communities in Minnesota and Wisconsin...mainly refugees during and after the wars in Southeast Asia.

If you have ever seen Gran Torino, the ethnic group might ring a bell. The screenplay for that movie was actually set in St. Paul, Minnesota.
I've seen that movie at few times. Not bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT