ADVERTISEMENT

J Alexander Keung

Conservative policy in the coming days, weeks, months will likely propose that the laws/standards/policy as currently written are sufficient to equitably carry out law enforcement among the various localities. They will suggest as you do, that there's nothing inherently racist or inequitable about them. Its unfortunate that some folks got the raw end of a deal, and justice will be observed according to those laws, but outside of additional attention to training and emphasis on the existing standards, no major changes will be needed to America's police force.

Of course, a whole bunch of folks of various races to include white will think doesn't doesn't sound quite right and will attempt to enact new policy up to and including disbanding of police forces. I think very few people, as indicated by recent polling, support such drastic measures. I do think there's a good chance that changes will come to various police forces, depending on what locality you reside in of course.

Changes that we probably wouldn't want to see, but perhaps won't have success shooting down in this emotional environment. And certainly not trying to deflect the issue to black on black crime.

you do understand Trump passed the first step act ... you might want to read it

Conservative policy in the coming days, weeks, months will likely propose that the laws/standards/policy as currently written are sufficient to equitably carry out law enforcement among the various localities. They will suggest as you do, that there's nothing inherently racist or inequitable about them. Its unfortunate that some folks got the raw end of a deal, and justice will be observed according to those laws, but outside of additional attention to training and emphasis on the existing standards, no major changes will be needed to America's police force.

Of course, a whole bunch of folks of various races to include white will think doesn't doesn't sound quite right and will attempt to enact new policy up to and including disbanding of police forces. I think very few people, as indicated by recent polling, support such drastic measures. I do think there's a good chance that changes will come to various police forces, depending on what locality you reside in of course.

Changes that we probably wouldn't want to see, but perhaps won't have success shooting down in this emotional environment. And certainly not trying to deflect the issue to black on black crime.
Earlier you had said that it doesn't end well for conservative policy positions and now you're citing things that haven't even happened that you perceive are going to happen? I'll wait for you to answer my initial inquiry. Deflection is really all I needed to prove my point anyway. You need to learn to think for yourself.

Reactions: JoelBittner
There aren't laws on the books that are racist. That is bullshit. The logical argument or counterpoint to that, is that law in theory, and law in practice are subject to different standards. I understand laws arent always practiced fairly, but that lies with individuals. The system, or institution In itself is not even close to racist. Neither is any policy I have seen passed or even proposed

Alright fellas, been fun. Truly enjoyed the perspectives shared here. I should be back in a couple weeks. Not sure exactly when.

Earlier you had said that it doesn't end well for conservative policy positions and now you're citing things that haven't even happened that you perceive are going to happen? I'll wait for you to answer my initial inquiry. Deflection is really all I needed to prove my point anyway. You need to learn to think for yourself.

I think if you look at attitudes about strict drug laws from the 80's and 90's and the slide leftwards to today, that's not been kind to conservative policy positions about law enforcement. Part of that is because of changing attitudes about drugs themselves, part of that because of budget realities with ever growing pressures on bottom lines. Race plays a part too with folks throwing about how it over captures black offenders vice white ones.

Seems like every time we have some injustice, policy comes up about using non-lethal force and other items like miranda/chain of custody/timing/etc, that conservatives decry as shifting the balance of power further towards the criminal and aiding democratic defense lawyers. That's been an on-going thing for decades now.

I'm not exactly sure what changes might come to police forces at this time, same as anyone else. But I imagine that even if we don't see mass disbanding of police forces, resdistribution of law enforcement funds to social work to impact communities to not require policing is not a traditional conservative policy position. It will likely be decried by the conservative crowd.

Are those items specific enough?

I might ask you to show examples of the opposite, when race goes on trial in the public sphere, what conservative policy positions have been enhanced and embiggened?

Last edited:
I think if you look at attitudes about strict drug laws from the 80's and 90's and the slide leftwards to today, that's not been kind to conservative policy positions about law enforcement. Part of that is because of changing attitudes about drugs themselves, part of that because of budget realities with ever growing pressures on bottom lines. Race plays a part too with folks throwing about how it over captures black offenders vice white ones.

Seems like every time we have some injustice, policy comes up about using non-lethal force and other items like miranda/etc, that conservatives decry as shifting the balance of power further towards the criminal. That's been an on-going thing for decades now.

I'm not exactly sure what changes might come to police forces at this time, same as anyone else. But I imagine that even if we don't see mass disbanding of police forces, resdistribution of law enforcement funds to social work to impact communities to not require policing is not a traditional conservative policy position.

No sir. Drug laws are not racist in nature. It's like you think white people dont get arrested for drugs in equal proportion. Black population is much smaller than white, yet they have a vast majority of Distriburion charges. That is not innocent recreational drug use. Nobody makes a guy have 7 kids with different mothers and sell crack to buy beer and cigarettes. If you sell drugs, or commit crimes with drugs in your pocket, your going down. Now some cops may use their discretion and leinancy differently, but that is not the point. I know racist shit happens but it's a minority of incidents, and it is not systemic or institutional.

Seems like every time we have some injustice, policy comes up about using non-lethal force and other items like miranda/chain of custody/timing/etc, that conservatives decry as shifting the balance of power further towards the criminal and aiding democratic defense lawyers. That's been an on-going thing for decades now.

I'm not exactly sure what changes might come to police forces at this time, same as anyone else. But I imagine that even if we don't see mass disbanding of police forces, resdistribution of law enforcement funds to social work to impact communities to not require policing is not a traditional conservative policy position. It will likely be decried by the conservative crowd.

I might ask you to show examples of the opposite, when race goes on trial in the public sphere, what conservative policy positions have been enhanced and embiggened?
Also most of the states making the most fuss about policy issues are Democratic states with Democratic lawmakers

Reactions: dinglefritz
No sir. Drug laws are not racist in nature. It's like you think white people dont get arrested for drugs in equal proportion. Black population is much smaller than white, yet they have a vast majority of Distriburion charges. That is not innocent recreational drug use. Nobody makes a guy have 7 kids with different mothers and sell crack to buy beer and cigarettes. If you sell drugs, or commit crimes with drugs in your pocket, your going down. Now some cops may use their discretion and leinancy differently, but that is not the point. I know racist shit happens but it's a minority of incidents, and it is not systemic or institutional.

I think you are misunderstanding what I said originally. I said that when the debate comes up about racial injustice, generally the outcome of that is not kind to conservative policy positions. Not that the policy positions themselves were inherently racist.

I personally do not believe the drug laws to be racist or inequitable. However, drug laws are brought up when racism/injustice are brought up in the public sphere. Whether drug laws actually were or were not racist, drug enforcement has slid left over the years...ie not kind to conservative policy positions.

I think you are misunderstanding what I said originally. I said that when the debate comes up about racial injustice, generally the outcome of that is not kind to conservative policy positions. Not that the policy positions themselves were inherently racist.

I personally do not believe the drug laws to be racist or inequitable. However, drug laws are brought up when racism/injustice are brought up in the public sphere. Whether drug laws actually were or were not racist, drug enforcement has slid left over the years...ie not kind to conservative policy positions.
I think you make it about left or right, but cant cite where the right has interest in racist policy. I am non partisan, the mob you see whacked out on tv are the crazy left that believe the right are the source of all evil and the left are here to liberate the country. I think it's all batshit crazy and every issue has very clear right and wrong to them. I think you trying to make an assertion that conservative policy is disproportionately negatively effected is baseless and party loyalty based. Thats all.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think you make it about left or right, but cant cite where the right has interest in racist policy. I am non partisan, the mob you see whacked out on tv are the crazy left that believe the right are the source of all evil and the left are here to liberate the country. I think it's all batshit crazy and every issue has very clear right and wrong to them. I think you trying to make an assertion that conservative policy is disproportionately negatively effected is baseless and party loyalty based. Thats all.

I didn't say the right has inherent racist policy. For the last time.

When the right engages in debates on race, they almost always concede ground in policy. That's all.

Nothing about whether the policy is racist or not. Period.

There aren't laws on the books that are racist. That is bullshit. The logical argument or counterpoint to that, is that law in theory, and law in practice are subject to different standards. I understand laws arent always practiced fairly, but that lies with individuals. The system, or institution In itself is not even close to racist. Neither is any policy I have seen passed or even proposed

Sentencing for crack and cocaine knowing who you uses what is racist.

It's the same drug.

Sentencing for crack and cocaine knowing who you uses what is racist.

It's the same drug.
Black and white charged the same for every one of them. Nobody makes a black person use crack man. Blacks use coke whites use crack. Your argument has no real base. Its emotive. Nothing against you. Just wrong.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Reactions: JoelBittner
ADVERTISEMENT