ADVERTISEMENT

Its official. NU has a useless Board of Regents!!

The whole situation reminds me of the clip in the movie The Program. Where Head Coach James Caan is arguing with the academia board. They are saying this is an institute of higher learning. Coach responds with. "When was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a goddamn science experiment'? "Stick that bowtie up your ass." Football pays the bills for everything. Football brings millions of dollars to the city. Fvck around and find out Board of Regents.

@dinglefritz I couldn't care less about his or anybody's politics

Nebraska is a football-first state. literally everything else is secondary.

the governor - just like all other elected officials - should have nothing to do directly with the athletic dept
when you're spending 100's of millions of dollars on facilities upgrades the governor has to have plenty to do with football. Trev and Rhule used Pillen in recruiting. They wanted him involved. Ted Carter leaving was unfortunate but one can't blame him wanting to take that job at a larger institution with a larger budget and better salary. Pillen's biggest problem is that he stepped on the toes of the academics by suggesting we needed to cut ridiculous course offerings and wasteful spending. THAT is the problem. The BOR is largely an academics first board and it's unfortunate that most of them don't understand the tremendous positive effect successful sports programs have on student recruitment and academic funding.

We'll survive this embarrassment but damn, they better get the President situation rectified quickly and it better not be some doofus from a southeastern directional school. There are some very bright youngish administrators at smaller midwestern universities who could do this job and promotion of a competent internal candidate might be the best option as well. NU has gone through multiple chancellors and presidents over the course of the past 45 years. We've had some doozies. Roskens was a waste of office space for one. We don't need somebody with experience at an Ivy.

The whole idea that Trev left because of politics is just ludicrous to me given where he's going. Talk about jumping from the pot in to the fire. IF I were in his shoes they would have had to drag me kicking and screaming out of the AD's office before I deserted my alma mater over conflict with the BOR. I would have gone public with the dispute IF that's the issue. It just looks weak on his part.

One positive idea I've heard is that Glissman was considered for the AD position when we hired Trev. IMO that would be a very good hire and we should do that regardless of who the NU President is. The next President needs to understand who is driving the f'n bus at NU and it won't be him. Hire Glissman and make his contract financially very painful to fire him.

Last edited:
here is the initial thread on the vote.

nobody cared then.

At the time, I thought this was a good idea. Chancellor Ronnie Greene had recently left. Would you rather have athletic department/AD answer to Ted Carter or a new chancellor?? I would take Carter. Then Carter left.

The whole situation reminds me of the clip in the movie The Program. Where Head Coach James Caan is arguing with the academia board. They are saying this is an institute of higher learning. Coach responds with. "When was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a goddamn science experiment'? "Stick that bowtie up your ass." Football pays the bills for everything. Football brings millions of dollars to the city. Fvck around and find out Board of Regents.
Go read some of the stories from Alabama and what the success of the football program has meant for student recruitment and their academic finances. It's been huge. The NUMBER ONE thing NU does to promote themselves as an academic institution is field a power 5 football team.

At the time, I thought this was a good idea. Chancellor Ronnie Greene had recently left. Would you rather have athletic department/AD answer to Ted Carter or a new chancellor?? I would take Carter. Then Carter left.
In reality I don't think it matters that much. It removed a layer of bureaucracy but ultimately the AD always had to answer to the President in the end. I wonder how much of this is blowback on the South Stadium renovation proposal and how much is some unspecified side compensation from Texas A&M. There are ADs who have listed salaries in the 1.5M range who also have side compensation deals that run over a million on top of that. It's not crazy to think that Trev's total package there will be in excess of 3M with all things considered. A million dollar pay bump and no state income tax would be tough to turn down. Yeah property taxes are a little higher but would that matter if TAM is paying it in the form of a housing allowance.

I get your point, but the Big Ten conducts over $10 billion each year in academic research

Reactions: nu2u
when you're spending 100's of millions of dollars on facilities upgrades the governor has to have plenty to do with football. Trev and Rhule used Pillen in recruiting. They wanted him involved. Ted Carter leaving was unfortunate but one can't blame him wanting to take that job at a larger institution with a larger budget and better salary. Pillen's biggest problem is that he stepped on the toes of the academics by suggesting we needed to cut ridiculous course offerings and wasteful spending. THAT is the problem. The BOR is largely an academics first board and it's unfortunate that most of them don't understand the tremendous positive effect successful sports programs have on student recruitment and academic funding.

We'll survive this embarrassment but damn, they better get the President situation rectified quickly and it better not be some doofus from a directional southeastern directional school. There are some very bright youngish administrators at smaller midwestern universities who could do this job and promotion of a competent internal candidate might be the best option as well. NU has gone through multiple chancellors and presidents over the course of the past 45 years. We've had some doozies. Roskens was a waste of office space for one. We don't need somebody with experience at an Ivy.

The whole idea that Trev left because of politics is just ludicrous to me given where he's going. Talk about jumping from the pot in to the fire. IF I were in his shoes they would have had to drag me kicking and screaming out of the AD's office before I deserted my alma mater over conflict with the BOR. I would have gone public with the dispute IF that's the issue. It just looks weak on his part.

One positive idea I've heard is that Glissman was considered for the AD position when we hired Trev. IMO that would be a very good hire and we should do that regardless of who the NU President is. The next President needs to understand who is driving the f'n bus at NU and it won't be him. Hire Glissman and make his contract financially very painful to fire him.
good post.

I get your point, but the Big Ten conducts over $10 billion each year in academic research

sure but you're getting that money if you have a crappy football team. 99% of undergraduate enrollees don't give a damn about research dollars. IF you want to drive up enrollment and bring in more revenue you can probably best do that by putting your school on the map with athletics. When was the last time you saw a family gathered around the TV watching a doctoral presentation on a Saturday

I don't know how much former VB Coach Terry Pettit really knows, but probably way more than I do.

"The reports on Twitter today indicate Nebraska AD Trev Alberts is leaving Lincoln for Texas A&M. I have not seen a response from Trev, but I suspect it is likely true. Some people think it is because of money. I do not. He had the opportunity to leave UNO several times for more prestigious institutions that would have tripled his salary. His bump in salary this past year is still less than what the Husker QB will make for the season.

But money is not the reason in my mind. My Twitter response is below. Nebraska still hasn't replaced Ted Carter. Pete Ricketts ran off Ronnie Green, the chancellor who knew more about agriculture in the state than any previous university chancellor or president, and I suspect Governor
Pillen's focus on cutting the funding to the university has directly impacted Trev Albert's decision.

The University doesn't fund athletics, but when the funding to the University is cut, the University has to seek out major donors to continue its mission and that impacts the giving to Nebraska athletics. Coach Ruhle came to Nebraska because of Trev. Trev came to Nebraska because of Ted Carter.

The politics of the last two governors have driven them out. IMO, there is more to come. Title IX never would have passed in today's political climate. In 1972, both Democrats and Republicans believed in the opportunities Title IX would create for women and minorities. That isn't the case today.

Trev Alberts leaving is not just an issue of who the athletic director is at the University of Nebraska. It is an issue about whether or not the State of Nebraska wants a healthy public university."
8j9iiv.jpg

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Please explain why he's "part of the problem".
"But money is not the reason in my mind. My Twitter response is below. Nebraska still hasn't replaced Ted Carter. Pete Ricketts ran off Ronnie Green, the chancellor who knew more about agriculture in the state than any previous university chancellor or president, and I suspect Governor
Pillen's focus on cutting the funding to the university has directly impacted Trev Albert's decision."

We are in an arms race...And cutting funding isn't a smart move from the perspective of growth and development.

Trev probably sees the writing on the wall.

Reactions: oldjar07
"But money is not the reason in my mind. My Twitter response is below. Nebraska still hasn't replaced Ted Carter. Pete Ricketts ran off Ronnie Green, the chancellor who knew more about agriculture in the state than any previous university chancellor or president, and I suspect Governor
Pillen's focus on cutting the funding to the university has directly impacted Trev Albert's decision."
reining in some of the ridiculous programming at NU was needed. No doubt that hurt the feelings of some of the regents. That said, that programming is a net drain on the state and not in the best interest of the taxpayers that support the academic side of the Nebraska system. Maybe that makes it tougher to hire a President who wants a bottomless pot of money but so be it. IMO, you compile a list of people you're interested in and go down the list until somebody says yes. The lack of leadership from the chairman of the BOR IMO is a much bigger problem than Pillen.

Bob Devany could schmooze with the best and his Irish wit could bring people to a common focus, but he also had a very low bar for bullshit. I would give a lot to hear his unfettered opinion of what has happened at NU over the past 20 years.....Perlman, Pederson, Callahan and the current BOR. That convo would peel the paint off the walls.

206 days and still no President? Fvcking useless do nothing politicians in Lincoln!!
I was thinking that when I saw the quote originally, but I did some digging, and apparently it is more often than not that it takes more than a year to find a replacement? So 206 days does not sound out of bounds (so far).

That being said, it is also common for the outgoing president to serve longer as a "lame duck" than Ted Carter did, foregoing the need for an interim.

In conclusion, it doesn't sound like our current timeline is that egregious, though they should be getting close at this point to selecting candidates for interviews. If they are not close to this, then they are indeed behind and that is frustrating. If they are on schedule, this sounds more like an excuse to cast blame for some to save face.

Reactions: headcard
reining in some of the ridiculous programming at NU was needed. No doubt that hurt the feelings of some of the regents. That said, that programming is a net drain on the state and not in the best interest of the taxpayers that support the academic side of the Nebraska system. Maybe that makes it tougher to hire a President who wants a bottomless pot of money but so be it. IMO, you compile a list of people you're interested in and go down the list until somebody says yes. The lack of leadership from the chairman of the BOR IMO is a much bigger problem than Pillen.
Interesting thoughts. Who determines whether the programming is "ridiculous" and/or "a net drain"? As far as the bottomless pit of money, to the extent such pits exist, it is largely due to the tuition payer, with taxpayers providing a smaller percentage contribution per student.

I was thinking that when I saw the quote originally, but I did some digging, and apparently it is more often than not that it takes more than a year to find a replacement? So 206 days does not sound out of bounds (so far).

That being said, it is also common for the outgoing president to serve longer as a "lame duck" than Ted Carter did, foregoing the need for an interim.

In conclusion, it doesn't sound like our current timeline is that egregious, though they should be getting close at this point to selecting candidates for interviews. If they are not close to this, then they are indeed behind and that is frustrating. If they are on schedule, this sounds more like an excuse to cast blame for some to save face.
who was the last Nebraska president who left for another job instead of retirement?

Reactions: scarletred
Interesting thoughts. Who determines whether the programming is "ridiculous" and/or "a net drain"? As far as the bottomless pit of money, to the extent such pits exist, it is largely due to the tuition payer, with taxpayers providing a smaller percentage contribution per student.
It's been a long time since I looked at the course offerings at NU but I have no doubt that some of the silliness has gotten worse than it was when I last did. Some of the elective offerings in the humanities 40 years ago were just an absolute waste of time and money. Having served on the BOR I suspect Pillen has a very good handle on what needs to be trimmed. He was an outstanding student at NU and was a highly respected veterinarian before he launched his business enterprises. You don't get through the kind of demanding curriculum he did without having a good perspective on academia.

Before Carter, Nebraska hired Hank Bounds who resigned in August of 2019 and Ted Carter became president on January 1st 2020 so that took just a little over 4 months to have one in place..

Reactions: drubendall
Before Carter, Nebraska hired Hank Bounds who resigned in August of 2019 and Ted Carter became president on January 1st 2020 so that took just a little over 4 months to have one in place..
Hank Bounds announced he was leaving in March of 2019.

Prior to that, J.B. Milliken announced his departure in January 2014, and Hank Bounds started in April of 2015.

Also the world is bigger than the University of Nebraska.

It's been a long time since I looked at the course offerings at NU but I have no doubt that some of the silliness has gotten worse than it was when I last did. Some of the elective offerings in the humanities 40 years ago were just an absolute waste of time and money. Having served on the BOR I suspect Pillen has a very good handle on what needs to be trimmed. He was an outstanding student at NU and was a highly respected veterinarian before he launched his business enterprises. You don't get through the kind of demanding curriculum he did without having a good perspective on academia.
Probably the prudent move. It’s time for the state and UNL to accept what the rest of the big ten and surrounding population has known for decades. UNL is a glorified community college/trade school. I agree with getting rid of the high end math/science that are either beyond the capabilities of the UNL student or need to be watered down for the UNL student and add more welding and automotive repair classes

No student with any type of higher academic aspirations is going to even consider UNL even for free

Apparently, however if they decide that you have no business coming anywhere near humans - they might let you become a vet

Probably the prudent move. It’s time for the state and UNL to accept what the rest of the big ten and surrounding population has known for decades. UNL is a glorified community college/trade school. I agree with getting rid of the high end math/science that are either beyond the capabilities of the UNL student or need to be watered down for the UNL student and add more welding and automotive repair classes

No student with any type of higher academic aspirations is going to even consider UNL even for free

Apparently, however if they decide that you have no business coming anywhere near humans - they might let you become a vet
Kirk is intimately familiar with every interstate rest stop from I_wa City to Boston.

Reactions: headcard
Some of the best courses I took were offered by 80 year old professors on the verge of retirement, which happens to be the same ones that appear to be on the chopping block. I wouldn't be so sure that these offerings were worthless. The DEI stuff has gotten out of hand everywhere and some of the amenities are unnecessary, and sure, there is room for budget cutting there. But at the same time, attempting to compete with other universities for decent faculty and programs and attempting to rejoin the AAU in a time of general budget cutting seems like a pipedream. I think it certainly makes it harder to attract good candidates for leadership positions at the university when not only do they have zero funds to implement improvements, but instead they'd be coming in at a time of general budget cutting. That may explain a part in why those positions aren't filled in the first place. And yes, since the governor was the one pushing for budget cutting and program cuts, it appears he may be in part responsible for why those leadership positions aren't filled.

Some of the best courses I took were offered by 80 year old professors on the verge of retirement, which happens to be the same ones that appear to be on the chopping block. I wouldn't be so sure that these offerings were worthless. The DEI stuff has gotten out of hand everywhere and some of the amenities are unnecessary, and sure, there is room for budget cutting there. But at the same time, attempting to compete with other universities for decent faculty and programs and attempting to rejoin the AAU in a time of general budget cutting seems like a pipedream. I think it certainly makes it harder to attract good candidates for leadership positions at the university when not only do they have zero funds to implement improvements, but instead they'd be coming in at a time of general budget cutting. That may explain a part in why those positions aren't filled in the first place. And yes, since the governor was the one pushing for budget cutting and program cuts, it appears he may be in part responsible for why those leadership positions aren't filled.
As somebody else pointed out, it isn’t that unusual for the president’s position to take this long to be filled. That said maybe we need to examine the people leading the search.

Reactions: huntered
Sounds like Trev listened to a really good pitch from the guy at TAMU, compared it to his the current situation, and said peace out. It’s hard not to conclude that there were some people making his job harder rather than easier and that made a hard decision for him a bit easier.

Sounds like Trev listened to a really good pitch from the guy at TAMU, compared it to his the current situation, and said peace out. It’s hard not to conclude that there were some people making his job harder rather than easier and that made a hard decision for him a bit easier.
Balanced take.

What I don't like about those little comments by Trev is the fact that he was one of the most important people at the institution. Like, you ARE one of the leaders, dude. Maybe if things are less than ideal you should...lead?

And piggybacking on HBK, this is why the BOR has to be replaced.

Reactions: HBK4life
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT