ADVERTISEMENT

Its official. NU has a useless Board of Regents!!

Sounds like Trev listened to a really good pitch from the guy at TAMU, compared it to his the current situation, and said peace out. It’s hard not to conclude that there were some people making his job harder rather than easier and that made a hard decision for him a bit easier.
smoking gun pointed at the chairman of the BOR. Not a good look for that groupl

Balanced take.

What I don't like about those little comments by Trev is the fact that he was one of the most important people at the institution. Like, you ARE one of the leaders, dude. Maybe if things are less than ideal you should...lead?
I've worked for ineffective leaders and it's hard to overstate the cancer that takes hold. If it was lack of leadership I don't blame TA at all.

I've worked for ineffective leaders and it's hard to overstate the cancer that takes hold. If it was lack of leadership I don't blame TA at all.
Yes, for sure. I'm just thinking...why not step up and flex the muscle? Or...if you care about the school and really think things are headed the wrong direction and you can't do anything about it...name some names.

Do Tim Clare and Jim Pillen have some kind of beef? I know they were on the BOR together and have both been in Republican politics for a long time.
Rob Schafer is the chairman now. It sounds like he might be the issue in selecting a president.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Rob Schafer is the chairman now. It sounds like he might be the issue in selecting a president.
Oh I see that now. I kept reading all of these articles from the 2023 meetings where they were doing business for the search and Tim Clare was chair at that time.

Edit: apparently since February 9th. So things have gone to shit in one month?

Trev is a money guy .. not a legacy guy. Nothing is broken except Trev and some of your hearts. AD is a useless job anyone on this board could do .
Trev is a legacy husker with his name on the stadium. He had the chance to be the guy that got Nebraska football back on track.

instead, when the going got tough, he turned his back on the university that did so much for him. He showed his true colors. He’ll get a few more dollars, but he can choke on it.

"But money is not the reason in my mind. My Twitter response is below. Nebraska still hasn't replaced Ted Carter. Pete Ricketts ran off Ronnie Green, the chancellor who knew more about agriculture in the state than any previous university chancellor or president, and I suspect Governor
Pillen's focus on cutting the funding to the university has directly impacted Trev Albert's decision."

We are in an arms race...And cutting funding isn't a smart move from the perspective of growth and development.

Trev probably sees the writing on the wall.
Cutting funding to what??

Have you researched the other board member's bios and public comments? l'm not thinking it's Clare or Schafer...especially after Trev's comments.

I searched and searched and could not find where Trev said, "I'm grateful & honered that at least one person wants me to stay."

Does anyone have the video of the press conference where Trev says that?

Also, LOL at some of Pettit's takes.
Pettit is carpet bombing everything, back it up Terry

back-up-terry-put-it-in-reverse-terry.gif

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC and HuskerO
I'm curious how the University is actually doing money wise. Not the football or athletic part of it, but the rest of the University as a whole.

The Regents probably balked at the massive stadium spend and are looking at their own financial position, which I don't know, but many Universities are dealing with dropping attendance and raising tuition costs. So they were probably interfering in that project along with the grift that goes along with those kinds of projects.

I would be shocked if Trev and Ted Carter and Ronnie Green had not benefited monetarily from the football program in ways that people would not be happy with. It happens at every semi successful football program..

I can only assume that the BOR have tried to put a stop to some of that.

The optics for Nebraska are not good though. It's become a revolving door of coaches and administrators that get to tap into big money and then move on to the next program.

I'm curious how the University is actually doing money wise. Not the football or athletic part of it, but the rest of the University as a whole.

The Regents probably balked at the massive stadium spend and are looking at their own financial position, which I don't know, but many Universities are dealing with dropping attendance and raising tuition costs. So they were probably interfering in that project along with the grift that goes along with those kinds of projects.

I would be shocked if Trev and Ted Carter and Ronnie Green had not benefited monetarily from the football program in ways that people would not be happy with. It happens at every semi successful football program..

The optics for Nebraska are not good though. It's become a revolving door of coaches and administrators that get to tap into big money and then move on to the next program.
Lots of speculation in your post and your comments about Carter and Green are not reasonable or logical. Please explain how Green and Carter could have inappropriately benefited monetarily from the football program. That's just silly. Carter moved on in part because a larger University offered him a much more lucrative package. Green retired. Maybe money was the decider for Trev but EVERYBODY who knows him says it wasn't.

Was Trev perhaps angling himself for the president gig and was being stonewalled?
I doubt that. it sounds like there was dissension over the stadium improvements and cost. What some board members fail to recognize is that funding for that project wouldn't really affect academics and overall would be a tremendous economic stimulus for Lincoln and the state. One BOR member was an EOC trainer. I doubt she alone could derail a project but I have to wonder what her views are. It would be interesting for some of the Regents to actually have to answer questions from their constituents.

I'm not really a proponent of the south stadium renovation but I can understand the logic and economics of doing it. That said, I think maybe NIL had some bearing on Trev's decision to leave. We're butting our heads against a wall with NIL and going forward I think it will be very difficult for us to compete with schools with virtually unlimited resources like ATM. He might have decided that he didn't want to be the AD at NU and have to scratch and claw to drag in funds. When in doubt, follow the money trail and clearly in a state with limited people, fewer alums and a smaller business base, it's not going to be easy.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3

Last I heard the university has a 58 million dollar deficit

I doubt that. it sounds like there was dissension over the stadium improvements and cost. What some board members fail to recognize is that funding for that project wouldn't really affect academics and overall would be a tremendous economic stimulus for Lincoln and the state. One BOR member was an EOC trainer. I doubt she alone could derail a project but I have to wonder what her views are. It would be interesting for some of the Regents to actually have to answer questions from their constituents.

I'm not really a proponent of the south stadium renovation but I can understand the logic and economics of doing it. That said, I think maybe NIL had some bearing on Trev's decision to leave. We're butting our heads against a wall with NIL and going forward I think it will be very difficult for us to compete with schools with virtually unlimited resources like ATM. He might have decided that he didn't want to be the AD at NU and have to scratch and claw to drag in funds. When in doubt, follow the money trail and clearly in a state with limited people, fewer alums and a smaller business base, it's not going to be easy.
I can agree with you here. NIL is the devil. That and the transfer portal have effectively neutered the loyalty that athletes once had at their university of choice.

Exactly...To these guys. Music, Art, Literature, Theater....Are just the whims of the soft and lazy. Nothing more than hobbies for those who don't want to work like a real man.

I lol at the nonsense that people throw around, pretending that they know whats best for YOU!

With that said Im sure there are some fluff classes that could be cut, but that would probably piss off a lot of athletes. Many of whom take those classes.

The bottom line...UNL either adjusts and progresses with the big boys...Or becomes relegated to a 2nd tier university.
That’s what clubs are for. Do something useful for society before contemplating one’s own bellybutton. Scientists are happier than artists because they have purpose.

Exactly...To these guys. Music, Art, Literature, Theater....Are just the whims of the soft and lazy. Nothing more than hobbies for those who don't want to work like a real man.

I lol at the nonsense that people throw around, pretending that they know whats best for YOU!

With that said Im sure there are some fluff classes that could be cut, but that would probably piss off a lot of athletes. Many of whom take those classes.

The bottom line...UNL either adjusts and progresses with the big boys...Or becomes relegated to a 2nd tier university.
I would love to see your tier rankings for universities if you think Neb is currently tier 1 that is at risk of being relegated to tier 2.

Nebraska isn’t even a tier 2 school in the big ten -

Hell Creighton is rated higher than Neb. If you are only considering universities within the state of Nebraska then maybe UNL could be considered tier 2.

Big ten tiers

1. NW-Michigan-Ucla-USC
2 Purdue - wash - Illinois - Wisc
3 Iowa - Minn- Indiana - Osu- Rutgers - Maryland
4 PSU- Oregon- MSU
5. Neb

A long way to tier 2

I would love to see your tier rankings for universities if you think Neb is currently tier 1 that is at risk of being relegated to tier 2.

Hell Creighton is rated higher than Neb. If you are only considering universities within the state of Nebraska then maybe UNL could be considered tier 2.

Big ten tiers

1. NW-Michigan-Ucla-USC
4 PSU- Oregon- MSU
5. Neb

A long way to tier 2
Funny. I have people working under me from each of your tiers .. me and my lowly tier 5 degree 🤣

I'm responding to whoever made the comment that the university shouldn't be a "trade school". While I was an engineering student I was obliged to take a "humanities" class almost every semester. I took a Science Fiction class, a 200 level English class which was fun, but really didn't affect my life. Some of those classes helped my career, like psychology because it helped me understand people better (especially people on this board). I don't advocate cutting classes like the Science Fiction class, but I always thought it was somewhat unfair English majors didn't have to pump up the engineering or physics coffers by having to take 200 level physics or electrical circuits classes.

Big ten tiers

1. NW-Michigan-Ucla-USC
4 PSU- Oregon- MSU
5. Neb

A long way to tier 2
PSU and Iowa should be swapped. MSU might also be better than Indiana but close call.

Have heard now from multiple 7-figure boosters who spend regular time with trev that it was all politics

Not surprised
I guess but doesn't an ADs job require political savvy? It just seems like a very odd turn of events. Sign and extension and then bolt for a University with notorious booster/administration meddling/politics?

When was the last time you saw a family gathered around the TV watching a doctoral presentation on a Saturday
Academic research doesn't require selling tickets or viewership to receive funding, and in the Big Ten research is much more lucrative... yet the only reason Nebraska is in the B1G is because of football. #runthedamnball!

Yes, for sure. I'm just thinking...why not step up and flex the muscle? Or...if you care about the school and really think things are headed the wrong direction and you can't do anything about it...name some names.
This is my take. Something happened that disintegrated the relationship. Not even the people in the inner circle had any inkling. It looks like a pretty weak move. A brief power struggle and then jet to A&M. No fight. No deed. No glory. Just quit. It would appear the Football program is stable and that Trev would want to be a part of the presidential hiring process. I do find it funny that no one wants to hire the current UNO AD. Being a former Husker football player opens some doors that's for sure. NU needs to find a president and AD that will synergize with what Matt Rhule is trying to do. #gbr

That’s what clubs are for. Do something useful for society before contemplating one’s own bellybutton. Scientists are happier than artists because they have purpose.
Wait I thought we weren't supposed to believe in science anymore? Very confusing times for you guys.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I guess but doesn't an ADs job require political savvy? It just seems like a very odd turn of events. Sign and extension and then bolt for a University with notorious booster/administration meddling/politics?

Academic research doesn't require selling tickets or viewership to receive funding, and in the Big Ten research is much more lucrative... yet the only reason Nebraska is in the B1G is because of football. #runthedamnball!

This is my take. Something happened that disintegrated the relationship. Not even the people in the inner circle had any inkling. It looks like a pretty weak move. A brief power struggle and then jet to A&M. No fight. No deed. No glory. Just quit. It would appear the Football program is stable and that Trev would want to be a part of the presidential hiring process. I do find it funny that no one wants to hire the current UNO AD. Being a former Husker football player opens some doors that's for sure. NU needs to find a president and AD that will synergize with what Matt Rhule is trying to do. #gbr
I made a post here awhile ago that some of the toughest players turn into massive pussies when put in administrative/leadership roles. My guess would be it is something in their psychological makeup that can take direction real well to become a star football player, but when put in a real adult leadership position, they falter. Not to name names, but we've seen a similar pattern with Frost, Barrett, and now Trev.

I guess

Big ten tiers

1. NW-Michigan-Ucla-USC
4 PSU- Oregon- MSU
5. Neb

A long way to tier 2
I would put any university in the power 5 conferences as Tier 1. Any other public university below that. Whatever tier you want to call it is fine. My point....Do we want to become a South Dakota. or Do we want to continue to work towards being I guess what you would consider tier 1.

By the way do you have an actual reference to how you came up with these tiers or did you just make those numbers up? Just curious.

Wait I thought we weren't supposed to believe in science anymore? Very confusing times for you guys.
Last time I was told to "believe the science". It was by a corrupt midget and a bunch of vaccines and boosters were forced on people who didn't need them and are as useless as masks and social distancing.

Big ten tiers

1. NW-Michigan-Ucla-USC
4 PSU- Oregon- MSU
5. Neb

A long way to tier 2
I would love for you to get mental help, fooling know one that you’re the same dip$&it that creates new screen names every freaking day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT