ADVERTISEMENT

Is O'brien the real deal?

Here is my two cents.....Living in SoCal, it is QB Heaven......POB plays in one of the most competitive areas in SoCal and has handled himself very well. What I think sets him apart from other Husker hopefuls from the past is he coming in early, already is used to playing in a somewhat pro style offense, even though they do run some zone read and he most importantly as stated above, played against great teams in SoCal.

Now will he start next year......a couple things are in his favor....1. He's coming in early to learn and compete. 2. TA just simply isn't getting it done.
3. HCMR can't afford another season like this........

I would throw him into the fire starting in January, let him compete with TA and the best man wins. Nebraska had no choice but to play TA this year, there simply wasn't any quality backups that could challenge him....that's changing in about 6 weeks.

The defense seemed to really improve as the year went on, especially the last 3 games....I'm assuming that will continue into next year. Talent at WR, TE and even OL has people waiting in the wings. We simply lack a QB that will make minimal mistakes.

As much as I hate to say this and add more pressure to POB, but he is clearly the future of Husker football starting in January, it's just that simple...

I live a few miles from the school and know a number of kids on the team. I've seen Patrick play twice. With all due respect to the OP, he has only played two notable schools - Mission Viejo and Tesoro. While notable, neither are the caliber of the strongest teams. The Trinity League dominates Southern California, MV did everything they could to move away from the highest division. Why? Because the Trinity teams beat their brains out in the playoffs the last decade. The best competition is in the Trinity - that's where Rosen played as well as Johnny Stanton.

POB has a lot of potential, but he is not beating out TA. That's a pipe dream.

I live a few miles from the school and know a number of kids on the team. I've seen Patrick play twice. With all due respect to the OP, he has only played two notable schools - Mission Viejo and Tesoro. While notable, neither are the caliber of the strongest teams. The Trinity League dominates Southern California, MV did everything they could to move away from the highest division. Why? Because the Trinity teams beat their brains out in the playoffs the last decade. The best competition is in the Trinity - that's where Rosen played as well as Johnny Stanton.

POB has a lot of potential, but he is not beating out TA. That's a pipe dream.

Totally agree.....Trinity League is brutal......by far the best league in SoCal. SD County has good prep football, but nothing like Trinity.......

I don't know if it's a pipe dream that POB beats out TA, but at least he seems to have better control of his mechanics and maybe a better understanding of how to check down......

Reactions: CC_Lemming
This is all not that complex. Nebraska has not had a QB with the necessary instincts for several years. Certainly, none that fit this offense. You can tell the good ones even in JH and HS as they have the certain "it" factor and can be coached to get better if they have the physical tools. Tommy has some good feet but clearly he is not meant for this type of offense. I don't even think he runs the base option all that well. It is obvious he does not see the field well and all of the coaching in the world is not going to fix that. Try to avoid putting him in those situations, you can't in big time college FB anymore. Look at LSU where the critics are all over Miles because he is dedicated to a rushing offense and can't seem to build a good passing game.

For the backups you have a former walk-on with good skills but clearly not to the level this offense needs. I have heard there is still concern about Darlington and concussions. I have no way to know if they are valid or not. AJ Bush was a two star kid recruited by Boston College, Cincinnati, Georgia State, K-State, Marshall, Toledo, and Troy. Bush was a late addition, Darlington has potential health issues and Stanton transferred to a Juco. Out of this group, Darlington would seem the be the best but at this point who really knows.

This is just one of the positions on this team that is thin and players are expected to perform in a system that at best does not mesh with them.

There are examples of freshmen playing well at QB and some that are not so good. Nick Saban will not play a true freshman at QB, says they can get mentally down too easily. I tend to agree with this thinking. If there are some good pieces around the QB then it might be different - excellent running game, good OL and a defense that gives you the ball often and doesn't put pressure on the O to score every time they have the ball. As good as California football is it is not close to DI football in this league. There are both the physical and mental aspects of the game and it may be too much. Everyone will say simplify but that is not the best thing to do - collapse the play calling on O because of one person. There should be some good pieces around POB next year but questions remain about half the O line and RB. Going into fall camp, the position is Tommy's and POB is learning preferably with a red shirt. The bad thing is, on paper, this team looks to be better so it will be interesting to see what happens. An injury or ten will make a huge difference.
If POB redshirts then it is because he is not the answer. You do not redshirt your second best quarterback behind a senior, you get him game experience any chance you get cuz he is next years starter.

If POB is good enough coming in to beat out a guy who has started the bulk of three seasons, then he will likely be great. If I am hoping for something with a higher probability of occurrence, I am hoping an off-season, spring and fall with a couple of legitimate QB guys in Langsdorf and MR will take Tommys play up a couple of notches.

riley qb throw int. sean mannion nfl qb. threw 54 int. derek anderson nfl qb threw 57 int in 3 years. matt more nfl qb threw 31 in in 29 starts.
And a hell of a lot more TDs. Thats why they are in the NFL. Mannion had 15 ints one year but a whopping 37 TDs.

If POB can't start next year the we need a Juco to come in and manage the offense till a younger player is ready to take over. Recievers are open even with a less the dominant running game. We have a better shot with a steady manager who can read a defense and make the throws. Then an athletic gambler who always wants the walk off homerun. It would be different if nobody was open and you had to go for it. But that's not what is happening. Don't forget the dropped interception in the endzone before the Reilly catch. Too many mental errors to take this any further.

And a hell of a lot more TDs. Thats why they are in the NFL. Mannion had 15 ints one year but a whopping 37 TDs.
first it never good to throw 15 int. that was the only year he threw over 16 td
he also had seasons of 16 td 18 int and 15 td 13 int.
derek anderson
25td 13 int
24 td 24 int
29td 17 int

all my post was saying is no matter who the qb is you are going to throw int in the riley system

Someone help me out. I want to know what the scoop is on Darlington?

I watched the spring game, and Darlington looked to be just what the doctor ordered for this offense. Then come fall he is 4th string?

I don't give a **** it was spring practice, he looked better than everyone else out there, and they were all just playing "Spring Practice".

So is it concussions that are keeping him out or is it his play. I'm not saying my eyes know everything, but it was plain as day in that spring game he looked the best for this offense. Is there anyone that knows what the deal is with him, I know a lot of other people that felt the same way after the Spring Game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT