ADVERTISEMENT

Raiola Redux

jflores

Offensive Coordinator
Feb 3, 2004
"Offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield gushed Friday about the 40-year-old assistant who is the lone holdover from the previous staff. Raiola’s coaching method stood out. So did his commitment to player development and to Nebraska.

“I met with him with every intention of not liking him,” Satterfield said. “Because you’re a new guy, you got it in your brain like, ‘Hey I want to bring this guy, this guy, this guy.’ I spent about 30-35 minutes with him and just fell in love with him.”

Rhule later asked Satterfield if the coordinator wanted to continue with Raiola. Absolutely, Satterfield responded, then took it a step further — let’s not drag on feet on keeping him around and wrap up this process quickly.

“This is my guy; I want this guy,” Satterfield said. “Excited to have him and he’s going to help us do some really good things.”"

Props to coach Satterfield about being so open about his initial mindset. While there's a whole pile of new coaches, it seems Raiola will probably be one of the top guys Husker fans follow to see how this develops.

Coach also mentioned we won't be "majoring" in the QB run game, but need to have it occasionally to make defenses defend it.

They need to just leave this alone.. not worry about it and stop trying so hard.

They made a decision to keep him, okay. Doesn't matter the reason if you believe it's one thing or the other. The proof is going to be in the pudding, so I wouldn't waste any more time as a staff trying to control the narrative or the storylines.

Put the focus on the roster and getting done what you need to get done to win games.

That's what is going to matter come game day. If you're winning games, you can write whatever storyline you want.

If you're losing games, well that sort of stuff writes itself, so I'd worry about getting to brass tax.. the fans like W's.

They need to just leave this alone.. not worry about it and stop trying so hard.

They made a decision to keep him, okay. Doesn't matter the reason if you believe it's one thing or the other. The proof is going to be in the pudding, so I wouldn't waste any more time as a staff trying to control the narrative or the storylines.

Put the focus on the roster and getting done what you need to get done to win games.

That's what is going to matter come game day. If you're winning games, you can write whatever storyline you want.

If you're losing games, well that sort of stuff writes itself, so I'd worry about getting to brass tax.. the fans like W's.
Good post but its not like anyone is on the schedule today.... or next weekend. Youre not wrong though, at this point we all have to see wins.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
"Offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield gushed Friday about the 40-year-old assistant who is the lone holdover from the previous staff. Raiola’s coaching method stood out. So did his commitment to player development and to Nebraska.

“I met with him with every intention of not liking him,” Satterfield said. “Because you’re a new guy, you got it in your brain like, ‘Hey I want to bring this guy, this guy, this guy.’ I spent about 30-35 minutes with him and just fell in love with him.”

Rhule later asked Satterfield if the coordinator wanted to continue with Raiola. Absolutely, Satterfield responded, then took it a step further — let’s not drag on feet on keeping him around and wrap up this process quickly.

“This is my guy; I want this guy,” Satterfield said. “Excited to have him and he’s going to help us do some really good things.”"

Props to coach Satterfield about being so open about his initial mindset. While there's a whole pile of new coaches, it seems Raiola will probably be one of the top guys Husker fans follow to see how this develops.

Coach also mentioned we won't be "majoring" in the QB run game, but need to have it occasionally to make defenses defend it.
Way to sell it. Nice

So we are going to have to spend all spring, summer and fall camp listening to people post the ONLY reason Raiola was kept on was to recruit his nephew. I get it, this is a message board, that is some people's opinion and they are entitled to it.

But then if NU goes up to Minneapolis and over to Boulder and gouges both teams for 300 rushing and gives up only a couple sacks the Raiola deniers will either be silent or come back with one (and only one) post saying "I was wrong and I'm glad".

I understand some folks think Raiola is vastly unqualified and Rhule is wasting his staff money on him. I just wish I didn't have to have that drum beaten constantly.

I will catch some crap for this but that's OK.

Many felt like a jilted lover because they listened to Frost and press go ga ga over players. In short, they believed what they heard and that was the feel good feeling until the reality of product on the field.

So now, according to this article, Satterfield spent 30 minutes with Raiola and was sold.

Then throw in the huddling O, fullback and run the dang ball talk and this staff is quickly winning the off season with fans. I don't care what they run, single wing, wishbone, just do it well and execute, put your players in position to win. The proof will show up in the wins, not being close or "feel good" articles.

Last edited:
I will some crap for this but that's OK.

Many felt like a jilted lover because they listened to Frost and press go ga ga over players. In short, they believed what they heard and that was the feel good feeling until the reality of product on the field.

So now, according to this article, Satterfield spent 30 minutes with Raiola and was sold.

Then throw in the huddling O, fullback and run the dang ball talk and this staff is quickly winning the off season with fans. I don't care what they run, single wing, wishbone, just do it well and execute, put your players in position to win. The proof will show up in the wins, not being close or "feel good" articles.
There were some fans like me who got to see Rhule's welcome speech, his Q&A after NSD, and some short sitdown interviews with the coaches and were wondering is that it before Spring Ball? I was real happy the coordinators sat down for these interviews. If they did coach speak and told us nothing, I would have been upset. The fact Sat talked about running the ball, huddling, fullback etc. was interesting for me, but turned some people off as "feel good". So I guess I would rather Rhule and his coaches talk to us often. That will make people like me happy and people who feel it is nothing but feel good don't have to listen and they can be happy too. The alternative is no interviews and only the people who don't want to hear them will be happy.

There were some fans like me who got to see Rhule's welcome speech, his Q&A after NSD, and some short sitdown interviews with the coaches and were wondering is that it before Spring Ball? I was real happy the coordinators sat down for these interviews. If they did coach speak and told us nothing, I would have been upset. The fact Sat talked about running the ball, huddling, fullback etc. was interesting for me, but turned some people off as "feel good". So I guess I would rather Rhule and his coaches talk to us often. That will make people like me happy and people who feel it is nothing but feel good don't have to listen and they can be happy too. The alternative is no interviews and only the people who don't want to hear them will be happy.
Would you prefer Rhule gets his own self promoting Amazon Prime show that isn’t about Nebraska football but about how great Rhule is?

He was asked a question and he answered it.

• Haha
Reactions: NikkiSixx

This Satterfield guy clearly doesn't know as much about offensive line play as the keyboard Mafia. Duh

Lol

I remember all the hate toward McBride back in the day till he changed defenses and went to a 4-3 attaching scheme…
My memory is SLIGHTLY different. I thought MOST of the hate came after the switch from 5-2 to 4-3.. until we got the speed to do it properly. Then he was a genius and best DC in the country.

Reactions: scarletred
I will some crap for this but that's OK.

Yes but to be fair it is feel good article season. Season is a long ways away. He isn't going to come out and say well let's just hope for the best.

Reactions: timnsun
Yes but to be fair it is feel good article season. Season is a long ways away. He isn't going to come out and say well let's just hope for the best.
Yah there is way too much air time between now and next season for them to just get in show me the wins mode.

If that’s your attitude your generally not going to help your personal demeanor being on websites like these which operates on speculation both wild and well informed.

Would you prefer Rhule gets his own self promoting Amazon Prime show that isn’t about Nebraska football but about how great Rhule is?
If that is the only peep between now and the Minnesota game, then yes. But I kinda, sorta hope we can get thrown some crumbs between now and then about winter conditioning, spring practice, the Spring Game, summer recruiting and fall camp.

If that is the only peep between now and the Minnesota game, then yes. But I kinda, sorta hope we can get thrown some crumbs between now and then about winter conditioning, spring practice, the Spring Game, summer recruiting and fall camp.
I kinda view a good many of those things as having gone by the wayside in modern competitive football.

I mean it was great thirty years ago when Tom put that stuff in the paper so we could watch the horse race but coaches won’t even reliably give up in season injury info anymore. They aren’t going to out anything of real value out to the modern media in the off-season.

It’s generally a lot of coach speak and hope and fluff.

Is it really taking a ton of time to get the messaging correct? Isn’t that what Rhule has talked about since day 1? Everyone on the same page. Everyone moving in the same direction. This is letting us know they are all on the same page.

I get the sense that MR wants to control the narrative in every way, and he is killing it so far.

At the same time, I don’t see anything that suggests this is interfering with their ability to recruit and plug holes. If we were losing these recruiting battles, maybe you’ve got a point, but so far, they seem to be able to do both equally well.

Is it really taking a ton of time to get the messaging correct? Isn’t that what Rhule has talked about since day 1? Everyone on the same page. Everyone moving in the same direction. This is letting us know they are all on the same page.

I get the sense that MR wants to control the narrative in every way, and he is killing it so far.

At the same time, I don’t see anything that suggests this is interfering with their ability to recruit and plug holes. If we were losing these recruiting battles, maybe you’ve got a point, but so far, they seem to be able to do both equally well.
For the coaching staff there’s been no issue with keeping coach. The drama is all out in parts of the fan base that can’t believe he would choose to do so. But that matters exactly zero.

I kinda view a good many of those things as having gone by the wayside in modern competitive football.

I mean it was great thirty years ago when Tom put that stuff in the paper so we could watch the horse race but coaches won’t even reliably give up in season injury info anymore. They aren’t going to out anything of real value out to the modern media in the off-season.

It’s generally a lot of coach speak and hope and fluf
That was one thing different about Mike Riley. Every Monday morning he'd start off talking about the previous game by giving the injury report. I didn't think it was a good idea, but he did it. If this staff does final winter conditioning testing I don't see anything wrong with posting the top 3 in each category, like vertical jump. I'd think that might be an incentive for guys to work hard.

I loved the old Osborne speak. "Banged up" meant a routine sprain, "He is being held out" was something worse like a dislocated shoulder, and "we are concerned and watching him" was something like Shane Swanson losing his thumb in the rodeo accident.

My memory is SLIGHTLY different. I thought MOST of the hate came after the switch from 5-2 to 4-3.. until we got the speed to do it properly. Then he was a genius and best DC in the country.
Nope, the speed was there, it was an overnight success. NU always recruited speed, just needed to move it around. The recruiting speed story was a story Keith Jackson told over and over on TV about NU going to Florida and recruiting speed. We only had 2 players starting from Florida, Fraizer & one DB. It was complete BS.

It's a longer story, but at this time most DE's at other schools were around 270+ lbs and outside LB's 220-240. NU moved safeties to outside LB and their undersized rush-ends from the 50 front to DE. Naturally pulled one big DT. 93 was the first year for the new 4-3 and that defense was a terror, like those that followed. We called the DE's outside LB's because we wanted Trev to win a Butkus, but they played on the line were DE's & later called DE's. Below I call them what they were DE's.

Speed to kill
93 NU 11-1 lost National Championship to FSU on a missed field goal.
DE Donta Jones 210
DE Trev Alberts 240
Sam-LB-Beler 200
Will-LB-Stewart 215

94 NU 13-0 won the National Championship
DE Dwayne Harris 225
DE Donta Jones 220
Sam-LB-Dumas 220
Will-LB-Stewart 215

95 NU 12-0 won the NC
DE Tomich 250
DE Wistrom 230
Sam-LB-Williams 195 & Foreman 200
Will-LB-Farley 205

This 3-3-5 will also get more speed on the field when they want it.

Last edited:

Nope, it doesn't take a ton of time, but what it does do, is it starts to box in the coach/staff.

Making a lot of statements on things to win over the fan base is fine, until it isn't fine.. when those statements come back to haunt you.

We don't need to be making a bunch of statements about the run game, or about fullbacks, or what not.

It would be smarter to say something in coach speak, that doesn't really answer the question. If I'm a wideout on the team, I might look at some of the statements made with raised eyes.. others may not.

I think it's all just bs talk anyway, but I don't think it's wise to start saying all these things.

Like someone has already asked.. where are the fullback recruits if we're going to run a fullback?

To me, I see the coaching staff starting to fall into a trap.. placating husker fans with what they think they want to hear, but not realizing that those things can and will be used against them down the road if they are not winning at a pace that the fan base likes.

I just see no upside to making a bunch of remarks about things one way or another. They didn't need to address the coaching retention among a lot of offensive identity stuff.

I get that the press is going to ask questions, but I think the staff should just cool it on the comments and see what they have going for themselves in the spring and look to tweak those things for the fall to put them in the best position for success.

It's just my opinion. They are going to do what they want.

Nope, it doesn't take a ton of time, but what it does do, is it starts to box in the coach/staff.

Making a lot of statements on things to win over the fan base is fine, until it isn't fine.. when those statements come back to haunt you.

We don't need to be making a bunch of statements about the run game, or about fullbacks, or what not.

It would be smarter to say something in coach speak, that doesn't really answer the question. If I'm a wideout on the team, I might look at some of the statements made with raised eyes.. others may not.

I think it's all just bs talk anyway, but I don't think it's wise to start saying all these things.

Like someone has already asked.. where are the fullback recruits if we're going to run a fullback?

To me, I see the coaching staff starting to fall into a trap.. placating husker fans with what they think they want to hear, but not realizing that those things can and will be used against them down the road if they are not winning at a pace that the fan base likes.

I just see no upside to making a bunch of remarks about things one way or another. They didn't need to address the coaching retention among a lot of offensive identity stuff.

I get that the press is going to ask questions, but I think the staff should just cool it on the comments and see what they have going for themselves in the spring and look to tweak those things for the fall to put them in the best position for success.

Nikki, NU doesn't have to recruit a Fullback. We have a squad of 100+ players and there will be 2-3 that will/or could be converted to fit into the role of FB.

Rhule and his staff have consistently said they recruit football players, not players for specific positions, save the QB spot. All you need is a 5'11" to 6'1" 230# - 240# version of Garrett Nelson who likes contact and can be taught to block like an s.o.b. If you have that kid who carried the ball a bit in high, all the better.

I think, normally NU and most teams have those 2 - 3 guys who may not fit the bill at LB, RB, or some other position, but just love physical contact, especially lighting people up. They may lack the speed or not catch the ball well, but can fit the role of a FB doing what your offense requires.

I think a year or two down the road they may be trying to find that type of kid somewhere in NU and try to begin to have those Mackovica, Schlesinger, Rathman-type kids. At this point, we don't even know what type or what percentage the role of a FB in the offensive packages will be involved.

Maybe very little, maybe a lot. I do agree that talking about this stuff can set them up for some criticism if some things aren't panning out. Everyone knows, we Husker fans have good memories of what was said.

If they win at a pace the fan base likes, which I think they are counting on, then your argument will be OBE. If they don't win a lot sooner than later the pitchforks and torches will come out no matter what the incoming OC said two years ago. I prefer more detail and less coachspeak as long as they aren't lying to me, and so far I have no reason to believe they are.

I think what they are saying is A LOT different than what Frost had to say when he got here. His comments were cocky and delivered in a smug way (better get us now, you will have to change for us, is there anyone better?). These guys are just saying what they plan to do (fullback, huddle, run) and have said flat out it is way too soon to talk championships or even wins and it will be day by day.

My wife sometimes accuses me of "talking too much" or "TMI". I have to remind her that as unfortunate as it is, there are other people on the planet and I feel compelled to communicate with them now and then.

If they win at a pace the fan base likes, which I think they are counting on, then your argument will be OBE. If they don't win a lot sooner than later the pitchforks and torches will come out no matter what the incoming OC said two years ago. I prefer more detail and less coachspeak as long as they aren't lying to me, and so far I have no reason to believe they are.

I think what they are saying is A LOT different than what Frost had to say when he got here. His comments were cocky and delivered in a smug way (better get us now, you will have to change for us, is there anyone better?). These guys are just saying what they plan to do (fullback, huddle, run) and have said flat out it is way too soon to talk championships or even wins and it will be day by day.

My wife sometimes accuses me of "talking too much" or "TMI". I have to remind her that as unfortunate as it is, there are other people on the planet and I feel compelled to communicate with them now and then.
it's okay.. different strokes for different folks.. and Matt loves to talk, talk, talk..

I don't think that's accurate. We were still playing some 5-2 when our defense was sucking against the sped teams. Osborne forced a change to the 4-3. Nobody went from being ready to be fired to genius faster than McBride.

It is smart business to hit the talking points. Right now, the staff is "meeting the parents" for the first time.

I say it is smart because way more fans want to hear it than don't want to hear it.

I think most of us know it is just a bit of a sales tactic.

Satterfield: “I don’t like you”
Raiola: “But my nephew is Dylan Raiola”
Satterfield: “I LOVE YOU MAN!”

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT