ADVERTISEMENT

can thompson run enough for rhule's offense?

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
I think thompson has the best arm I see at NU for along time.
but you can tell he don't like to run...
I know pass happy whipple probably yelled at him to hit his 3rd reciver,
but when there would be areas of green infront of thompson, you could tell he's not a runner.
so I don't know if he's gonna work for rhules offense, plus he seems kinda fragile..

also can smothers pass good enough for rhules offense?

from what I can gather, adrian would have been a great qb for rhules offense.
seems like he wants his qb to do both run and pass.

if we get the gt qb, we probably need one more..
because thompson and smothers are outta spring ball with sugery
purdy has a hurt foot..
and we need a qb to know rhules offense asap! at least 1 qb..

There were several times this year he keeps the drive alive and moves the chains if he would have run...drove me cra cra watching it. I'd think that makes us even easier to scheme against since other DC's noticed it to....with him coming off surgery, that is a valid question. I guess if we land two portal QB's known more for their legs than arm, we'll have our answer. If we don't bring in anyone, we'll have to assume Rhule will call more passes than he'd like to.

When was the last time a QB that ran with any frequency, i.e. Martinez, made it through a full season?

There is a huge difference between a Smothers who wants to run first and throw second and Thompson who wants to throw first and run if he has to.

I get that Thompson didn't always take advantage of every opportunity he had but in his defense I would add that the opportunities were not nearly as many as some want to believe. When you are back peddling in a drop back and the rush is coming at you faster than you can move backwards to avoid it, stopping momentum and moving up in the pocket is not easy nor natural.

I haven't watch a lot of other B1G teams but I don't see tOSU or Michigan asking their QB's to do much with their legs. Then there are Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin as well. Filling a room with bodies isn't the answer either. No one is going to be happy doing that.

When was the last time a QB that ran with any frequency, i.e. Martinez, made it through a full season?

There is a huge difference between a Smothers who wants to run first and throw second and Thompson who wants to throw first and run if he has to.

I get that Thompson didn't always take advantage of every opportunity he had but in his defense I would add that the opportunities were not nearly as many as some want to believe. When you are back peddling in a drop back and the rush is coming at you faster than you can move backwards to avoid it, stopping momentum and moving up in the pocket is not easy nor natural.

I haven't watch a lot of other B1G teams but I don't see tOSU or Michigan asking their QB's to do much with their legs. Then there are Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin as well. Filling a room with bodies isn't the answer either. No one is going to be happy doing that.
that's been a very long time.. we were lucky with Taylor Martinez, because he ended up being a serviceable thrower after his freshman year, but defenses still had to account for him running, even on a gimpy ankle.

Yeah. One of the main reasons USC lost to Utah was because Williams broke off that long run in the 1st Quarter, which was dazzling but also costly. He ended up injuring his hamstring on that run, and the USC offense wasn't the same after that.

I love mobile quarterbacks, and it's frustrating sometimes to watch Thompson just stand back there or scrambling around looking for someone to throw to when he could very easily just run 20 yards for the first down. But I prefer QBs to run only after all other options are exhausted.

And then slide or get out of bounds immediately.

Reactions: Matrix Husker
but when there would be areas of green infront of thompson, you could tell he's not a runner.
so I don't know if he's gonna work for rhules offense, plus he seems kinda fragile..

purdy has a hurt foot..
Has Thompson even said yet if he's coming back?

he's shockingly small

I want a 6'4"+ dude who can fire 60+ effortless missiles every week (if needed) & who can get 2 yards on every QB sneak

let the skill guys do the running

Has Thompson even said yet if he's coming back?
no but he did'nt say he wasen't either...he said something to the effect, "I like what I'm hearing so far"..
I'm 100% for thompson to return if he fits rhules offense, and I don't know how much rhules offense can be made to fit thompson..I'll take casey thompsons throwing over bout anyone since gill (disclaimer, ganz was good)...the running..not so much

no but he did'nt say he wasen't either...he said something to the effect, "I like what I'm hearing so far"..
I'm 100% for thompson to return if he fits rhules offense, and I don't know how much rhules offense can be made to fit thompson..I'll take casey thompsons throwing over bout anyone since gill (disclaimer, ganz was good)...the running..not so much
I have no problem with Thompson. My only worry about him is that he is hurt too often. If he returns we still need a very solid backup QB behind him to come in as needed. That could be a transfer in OR Rhule could more effectively develop one of the other QBs on the roster. But the backup QB play this past season didn't cut it IMO.

Good kid, but I don't think he'll be lining up under center for us next season.

I have no problem with Thompson. My only worry about him is that he is hurt too often. If he returns we still need a very solid backup QB behind him to come in as needed. That could be a transfer in OR Rhule could more effectively develop one of the other QBs on the roster. But the backup QB play this past season didn't cut it IMO.
I think any quarterback would have been injured a lot behind our OL last season.

Reactions: BleedRed78
We need CT and his experience for a bridge season. The offense will be catered to his skill set as much as possible. I don’t think he transfers because of the injury situation.

Yeah. One of the main reasons USC lost to Utah was because Williams broke off that long run in the 1st Quarter, which was dazzling but also costly. He ended up injuring his hamstring on that run, and the USC offense wasn't the same after that.

I love mobile quarterbacks, and it's frustrating sometimes to watch Thompson just stand back there or scrambling around looking for someone to throw to when he could very easily just run 20 yards for the first down. But I prefer QBs to run only after all other options are exhausted.

And then slide or get out of bounds immediately.
And that's the other side of the coin. There is generally this assumption that a QB can take off and there is room to run. Based on what? TV shots don't show the entire field so who really knows. My favorite is when Thompson is back peddling to get into this drop and the rush is already on top of him from the outside and the middle which leaves him no where to go - but yet he is supposed to stop his 5 or 7 step drop, change directions, avoid the rush and get yards in a D we cannot even see on the screen but we know its there. Right

I don’t see Satterfield needing him to run very often and I think he’d be great in that offense. Need protection and receivers to get open. Both will be a question mark next season. Our only solid room as of now for next season is RB.

Reactions: redwine65

purdy has a hurt foot..
Agree. Good points. Definitely need GT's Jeff Sims and/or an athletic QB around 6'3" or taller. Rhule and Satterfield are intrigued by Haarberg and Torres but I don't see them developing this fast so for sure need one or two transfer QB.

Casey is an accurate, serviceable B1G Quarterback that will usually make more good plays than bad plays. Does not jump off the tape. Struggles when things break down and often takes way too many hits. Not a Sunday player, undersized and arm is OK. Not particularly mobile and won't win many races to the end zone. Has a lot of playing experience and is a decent option if Rhule can't land one of his top targets.

And that's the other side of the coin. There is generally this assumption that a QB can take off and there is room to run. Based on what? TV shots don't show the entire field so who really knows. My favorite is when Thompson is back peddling to get into this drop and the rush is already on top of him from the outside and the middle which leaves him no where to go - but yet he is supposed to stop his 5 or 7 step drop, change directions, avoid the rush and get yards in a D we cannot even see on the screen but we know its there. Right
Well, I’m basing my opinion not on TV shots that don’t show the whole field, but on commentators who can. They usually try to keep it respectful and say things like, “Gosh, you’d maybe like to see him tuck it and run there.”

And then they will often cut to a wider camera shot or even an angle from behind the QB where you can see a clear running lane.

I cases like that, yes, I’d prefer to see him run for some yards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT