ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's Insidious, Racist Regime Covered by ESPN

What? You never had to wear the ole trash can on the head and run around the office in front of everybody as a punishment for being late? That is the hallmark of a quite serious and professional organization.
no they'd just get fired... I"d rather learn a lesson and be embarrassed with a trash can on my head. You see life isn't easy and the sooner kids realize that the better... the trash can was a lesson nothing more and nothing less

Reactions: West CO Hawk
no they'd just get fired... I"d rather learn a lesson and be embarrassed with a trash can on my head. You see life isn't easy and the sooner kids realize that the better... the trash can was a lesson nothing more and nothing less
Life isn’t that hard. Don’t be a racist piece of crap, don’t degrade and belittle people to make yourself feel better about yourself. Don’t make excuses for those that continue those asinine practices.

"Black players said success within the program hinged on assimilating to The Iowa Way, a reference to the program's "smart, tough, physical" motto.

"Iowa culture is -- and we saw it on the wall every day -- smart, tough, physical, disciplined, hard-nosed, put your nose to the grindstone and work, be early, and many more," said Tyler Kluver, a former Iowa long-snapper who is white and hosts the "Washed Up Walkons" podcast. "Those are the pillars of Iowa culture."

But The Iowa Way, as many Black players describe it, also meant conforming to a white football culture and suppressing their own, whether it be their hairstyle or how they spoke or dressed."

This was a quote fro. the story, and I am sure this is going to ruffle some feathers on both sides.

1. This sounds like Peter brothers mentality.
2. Nebraska "was" this under Osborne
3. There is a difference between racism and work ethic

As I watch this world unfold I see both sides. I 100% believe that there is bigotry and racism all over the place and we do just turn the other cheek. I see finger pointing going on every day like there is a fix.

My question to people on this board is how many kids have left our program prematurely recently (since the Frost era [Only using this time frame for easier statistics]), and how many were black vs white? I am not going to go back and get the stats on that as I write this, but I know for damn sure it was a hell of a lot of 4* athletes. A lot of them were black, and came from somewhere other than Nebraska. You don't think Frost preaches "smart, tough, physical, disciplined, hard-nosed, put your nose to the grindstone and work" type of football? I am pretty sure I have heard every 90's player come out and say that is what they were. Didn't Frost come from that mentality?

So I am not going to sit here and bash Iowa for teaching hard nose football to kids. Why, because we do the same thing and I am sure Saban, Meyer ect... do the same thing. Is it racist, or is it setting an example? I personally think it is setting an example of what it takes to succeed in life.

At the beginning of the article it said the one guy had to run with a yellow bucket on his head for being late. To me that had nothing to do with being racist. It was showing the kid that on Iowa's football team being late is unacceptable. That being late in life means you are going to lose. That if you want to win at life work hard and be on time, then next time you won't need to run with a bucket on your head.

Now on to the other side...

Why do these guys say "They didn't/wouldn't do this to the white kids". That is where I do see a fault. If anyone is late, you make them run with some embarrassment. You can't pick and choose who you think needs to be punished in an embarrassing way.

The racism starts when you judge someone by the way they look. It continues when you hold someone to a different standard by where they came from and how they act. Then it ends when you treat people equally and hold everyone to the same standard.

I think people need to be what was quoted on Iowa's wall to succeed in this world. I also believe that you can't make someone they are not. So what it boils down to is life is about choices. If "smart, tough, physical" is not your mentality going into college football, maybe it isn't for you.

I've got to get ready for work right now so I am ironically not late. I would love to continue on, on this topic.

You see bigotry and racism everywhere? Can you be more specific? Remember you said everywhere.

The Iowa program's problem is the same as the problem at Penn State with JoePa. Kirk Ferentz has more power than anyone in Iowa state government. He'll say the right things all the while making it clear the only one who can fix Iowa is someone with the last name Ferentz. It reveals the lie that his middle name is "humility". His ego and ambition are equal in size. Kirk will do and say whatever it takes to make sure one of his sons succeeds him. It's very revealing that no one else will be fired. 1.1 million is a lot of money but a small price to pay to save the jobs of every Ferentz at the University. Kirk won't retire because then he would actually be taking the responsibility he says he wants to take for the program. He might become PC, and he'll use these changes as an excuse to get back to winning 7 games per season, and the AD will praise him as a miracle worker for that "achievement". From here on out it is Kirk Farce, not Kirk Ferentz.

Reactions: headcard
Seeing Iowa fans try to spin and frame this into the above narrative is hilarious.

Seeing some Husker fans blowing things out of proportion is even funnier. Put some salve on that butthurt from the last 5 losses and see that you are throwing rocks from a glass house. These accusations could hit any program, any organization.

Reactions: RothMatt
Seeing some Husker fans blowing things out of proportion is even funnier. Put some salve on that butthurt from the last 5 losses and see that you are throwing rocks from a glass house. These accusations could hit any program, any organization.

I don't think the issue is that big at Iowa, but your statement is hilarious as anytime something goes on at Nebraska your fans run over here and start flapping their gums and then your come over here and whine about it. See ya.

You keep saying that, trying to normalize this, yet it’s just Iowa. You might find this shocking, but systematic racism and a weak ass leadership aren’t widespread, it’s an Iowa problem.

And nice deflection bringing up the amazing results of Klansman Kirk. Congrats again on the last second FG victory. The peak of Iowa football seems....interesting.

Randy Gregory says hello
Answer the question gasbag.....it must really suck that the “Iowa way” has been exposed as a fraud...Iowa fans no longer have the, “Iowa football has never been consistently elite, but at least we run a clean program” to fall back on...now it’s just, “Iowa football has never been consistently elite”...Laughing

I believe it's more of a jab at all you Herky fans since you're notorious for taking the littlest bit of negative news and blowing it way out of proportion, especially when it comes to Nebraska. No salve needed, jokes on you! Funny you should use the word SALVE, I bet it was hard putting the "L" after the "A" coming from Iowa!

Last edited:
Well it is complete and utter nonsense. Threatening to send kids back to the ghetto, making a kid wear around a trash can, etc is a far cry from simply promoting respectful and professional behavior. Trying to spin that kind of behavior as a positive thing is BS.

No one ever threatened to send a kid back to the ghetto. The kid claimed Doyle said it, then clarified that Doyle said he’d send him back to Glenville, which the player interpreted as “the ghetto.”

Morrow got off the bike to speak with Doyle, who, according to Morrow, began a "verbal assault, mother-F'ing me down," and questioning Morrow's toughness.

"After a while, I start firing back. I definitely gave him an F-bomb, like, 'F you, who are you?'" Morrow said. "We're going back and forth. I never said anything racial but it was definitely a verbal altercation, we got face-to-face. That's when he said, 'F--- you, I'll send your ass back to Glenville.' He was insinuating that he'd send me back to where he would always joke about -- the hood, the ghetto. That's what he would always say."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...d-2009-altercation-strength-coach-chris-doyle

No one ever threatened to send a kid back to the ghetto. The kid claimed Doyle said it, then clarified that Doyle said he’d send him back to Glenville, which the player interpreted as “the ghetto.”

Morrow got off the bike to speak with Doyle, who, according to Morrow, began a "verbal assault, mother-F'ing me down," and questioning Morrow's toughness.

"After a while, I start firing back. I definitely gave him an F-bomb, like, 'F you, who are you?'" Morrow said. "We're going back and forth. I never said anything racial but it was definitely a verbal altercation, we got face-to-face. That's when he said, 'F--- you, I'll send your ass back to Glenville.' He was insinuating that he'd send me back to where he would always joke about -- the hood, the ghetto. That's what he would always say."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...d-2009-altercation-strength-coach-chris-doyle

He also said Ghetto and said it to multiple players. I know you have seen this, you are just choosing to play dumb.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...hawkeyes-football-allegations-tweets-20200611

Brandon Simon said Doyle told him to "Go back to the streets".

Terrance Harris said Doyle threatened to "Send him back to the ghetto"

I don't think the issue is that big at Iowa, but your statement is hilarious as anytime something goes on at Nebraska your fans run over here and start flapping their gums and then your come over here and whine about it. See ya.
I gotta agree with ya on your comment. The OP.... A lot of good NE level headed unbiased postings on this.

Reactions: leodisflowers
He also said Ghetto and said it to multiple players. I know you have seen this, you are just choosing to play dumb.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...hawkeyes-football-allegations-tweets-20200611

Brandon Simon said Doyle told him to "Go back to the streets".

Terrance Harris said Doyle threatened to "Send him back to the ghetto"

First the players were making it up. Now the choice of words has changed. Soon they are going to say it was a case of mistaken identity and welcome Coach Doyle back with a raise.

Gotta question if those are real Husker fans and not Iowa fans that have infiltrated the board, IMO. Coach Doyle was fired for a reason after all. And that reason was racism. Clear as day to see.
The whole scandal is so very “Iowa”, I mean why not alienate African-American players? Who needs African American athletes to make a competitive team??? If I was an Iowa fan, I would quickly adopt this into my repertoire of reasons for the lack of sustained success of Iowa football...Laughing

I would be fine with that if it was a lesson white players learned as well. The question is, was it? If so, then carry on. If not, why only black players?

What the hell does that even mean? Are you saying Kittle is a pothead? Or equating smoking weed with racism? Either way, just stupid.

You're saying what everyone is thinking.

tenor.gif

What the hell does that even mean? Are you saying Kittle is a pothead? Or equating smoking weed with racism? Either way, just stupid.
They’re still getting used to idea that the Iowa football program is not as squeaky clean as they’ve been lead to believe....It’ll be tough for them moving forward, not being able to play the holier than thou card all the time...there’s going to be a long learning curve..Laughing

They’re still getting used to idea that the Iowa football program is not as squeaky clean as they’ve been lead to believe....It’ll be tough for them moving forward, not being able to play the holier than thou card all the time...there’s going to be a long learning curve..Laughing

Learning curve? Open your eyes Bud because class is over. You’all just talking about old news it’s time to move on boyz.

Learning curve? Open your eyes Bud because class is over. You’all just talking about old news it’s time to move on boyz.
KKKF force BF to resign yet? If no, this scandal will live on...must suck for Iowa fans to have lost one of their strongest arguments for the lack of sustained success in Iowa football..Laughing

I would be fine with that if it was a lesson white players learned as well. The question is, was it? If so, then carry on. If not, why only black players?
Bump.
Can anyone shed light on this? Was the trash can experience for both black and white players? If not, how do you explain it then?

Randy Gregory says hello

This statement makes no sense and smells of someone grasping at straws. RG made the NFL, no one at Nebraska discriminated against him. What happened to him was his own inability to give up the weed. Swing and a miss!

I'm sure you would love that, but unfortunately people don't typically move on until an issue has actually been addressed. So as long as the Iowa fans and admin continue to deny and ignore, it will probably live on.

Seems to me these kids have conflated work ethic with racism. Iowa sucks but Ferentz has always run an above board program.

This is part of the problem. White people declaring to Black kids what is and what is not racism.

Reactions: 9and4
This is part of the problem. White people declaring to Black kids what is and what is not racism.
While no doubt this happens, I’m pretty sure it was over 50 former black players who claimed racism.

Since @Rick Chick won’t answer my question about the trash can, can you tell me, was that an equal opportunity punishment? Did white players who were late also get a new helmet for practice in the form of a trash can? Or were those special helmets reserved for just the black players?

While no doubt this happens, I’m pretty sure it was over 50 former black players who claimed racism.

Since @Rick Chick won’t answer my question about the trash can, can you tell me, was that an equal opportunity punishment? Did white players who were late also get a new helmet for practice in the form of a trash can? Or were those special helmets reserved for just the black players?

Word has it that it wasn’t an actual trash/garbage can to begin with. It’s old news anyway.

Word has it that it wasn’t an actual trash/garbage can to begin with. It’s old news anyway.
Humor me... whatever the punishment was, was it equal opportunity, black and white students alike suffered that punishment? Why are you so afraid to answer the question?

Old news, huh? I guess I didn’t realize there was a statute of limitations on what many former Iowa players are calling racism.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT