ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Iowa settles in racism suit; will pay out $4 million in damages

9and4

All-American
Dec 4, 2013
Baltimore
Des Moines Register

A $4 million settlement agreement has been reached in the lawsuit filed by a group of Black former University of Iowa football players who claimed head coach Kirk Ferentz oversaw a racially discriminatory culture, according to state Auditor Rob Sand.

The Iowa Department of Management’s State Appeal Board was expected to vote on the matter by Monday afternoon.

However, Sand, one of the three appeal board members, said Monday morning he would oppose using taxpayer funds for the settlement unless Iowa athletics director Gary Barta was ousted.

In a statement, Sand said the settlement agreement would require the state and university to pay $4 million to the Black former players.

Exact terms of the settlement had not been made public Monday morning.

The State Appeal Board is a three-member board comprised of the auditor of state, treasurer of state, and director of the department. The board approves or rejects, and pays claims against the state or a state employee, and resolves local budget protests.

Iowa BOR to the former players, “Dismiss the valid and credible law suits against individual coaches and we’ll pay 4 million dollars.”

Former player’s attorneys, “we’ll dismiss the individual law suits, however we’ll retain the right to reopen in the future and you’ll pay us 4 million dollars to settle this valid and credible lawsuit.”

Iowa BOR response, “You have us by the short hairs, we accept the offer and we can now consider this matter adequately swept under the rug.”

Reactions: steelclaw
That's a bargain compared to the $50M we spent buying out coaches and ADs. Hell, this settlement is four times better than the $16M Frost buyout.
I would rather pay $1B to coaches who failed on the field than $1 to admins/coaches for being proven racists/molesters

this stain on iowa's program will outlast even the greasiest of skidmarks found in every iowa fan's undie drawer

That's a bargain compared to the $50M we spent buying out coaches and ADs. Hell, this settlement is four times better than the $16M Frost buyout.
That's a weird comparison to draw. It's also a "bargain" compared to the $6+ million the Iowegians are paying Kirk and Brian to win.... nothing? But what that has to do with the price of tea in China I don't know.

Seems to me that if you are going to use taxpayer funds to pay for the actions of university employees who discriminated and tolerated discrimination then yeah people should lose their job without a doubt. If I was an Iowa taxpayer (and thankfully I am not) I would want some heads to roll here. But I am sure Hawkeye fans will want to hang on to the coach who “oversaw a racially discriminatory culture” because he wins, checks notes, 59% of his games.

Sad. Bordering on pathetic.

Here's a fun argument from a Klan member at Go Iowa Awesome ("sic" edits are mine):

Iowa is a predominately (sic) white society. When a player accepts to get a free education and moves to the new area for a monetary value (free education), they should except (sic) the norms of the society (they have free will to go where-ever (sic)). I think it is important to know your place, the norms in Jackson, Mississippi may be much different then (sic) Iowa city (sic). I would like to know how that is racist.

Not sure how i feel about this, looking at it without bias that its iowa. Why should others have to pay for the actions of some idiots, and further legally speaking how can you prove something is racist? Its an arbitrary term that each person has a different definition for what is and what isnt racist. Sure i think people should be able to be offended, disagree, argue, fire, etc. but to make an institution and perhaps taxpayers pay four millon dollars for it is a bit much. Its displacement.

Ok, let me have it, how dare i defend iowa, yadda yadda.

I read as much as I could find on this when it first popped a few years ago....several claims made by players made them look like pillow soft mental midget pussies. Not saying Iowa is 100% without sin here but several claims were contridicted by their own actions...such as one of the pillow soft mental midgets begging Kirk give his brother a full ride....after the pussy graduated. His time there couldn't have been that bad could it? This whole deal looked a little shifty to me...dare I say money grab by some?

That's a weird comparison to draw.
Not weird at all. Iowa is paying 4 million it deserves to pay if department was guilty, or is paying $4M extortion if the suit is baseless. NU is paying $16M to get rid of a non-performing coach. Both examples of poor athletic department decisions. What is weird is comparing the two somewhat similar expenditures above to the price of tea.

I read as much as I could find on this when it first popped a few years ago....several claims made by players made them look like pillow soft mental midget pussies. Not saying Iowa is 100% without sin here but several claims were contridicted by their own actions...such as one of the pillow soft mental midgets begging Kirk give his brother a full ride....after the pussy graduated. His time there couldn't have been that bad could it? This whole deal looked a little shifty to me...dare I say money grab by some?
I think a lot of those players were also looking for a big payday that some lawyers convinced them they could win..

I think a lot of those players were also looking for a big payday that some lawyers convinced them they could win..

I remember a quote made by a coach getting on a player he didn't think was giving jt his all..."I'll send ya back where ya came from"......and miracously, years later, the player decided that was a racist thing to say....the whole deal was weak, and there were tons of black players that disagreed with the few disgruntled ones as well, but what would they know, they were only there.

Not weird at all. Iowa is paying 4 million it deserves to pay if department was guilty, or is paying $4M extortion if the suit is baseless. NU is paying $16M to get rid of a non-performing coach. Both examples of poor athletic department decisions. What is weird is comparing the two somewhat similar expenditures above to the price of tea.
Yeah, it is weird to draw any comparison at all between ANY incompetent or poorly performing athletic program and a program that has been repeatedly connected to racist abusive behavior. You act like losing games and being racist are equally bad. They’re not.

FTR, the coaches were dismissed from the law suit two weeks ago. Brian and Kirk aren’t happy with this settlement and wanted their day in court. Our legal system sucks. Attorney fees for the plaintiffs take half that $4 million. The 13 players ended up with roughly $183k a piece.
it's laugh out loud funny you and every other low class (both meanings) iowa fan are footing half the bill

cyclone fans' tax dollars also contributing to the racism settlement is pure poetry

entire state of iowa can't burn to the ground soon enough

I remember a quote made by a coach getting on a player he didn't think was giving jt his all..."I'll send ya back where ya came from"......and miracously, years later, the player decided that was a racist thing to say....the whole deal was weak, and there were tons of black players that disagreed with the few disgruntled ones as well, but what would they know, they were only there.
So much has come out to be untrue it’s ridiculous. Weird what happens when you’re put under oath. Wadley was the one you referred to in your first post. He is also the guy who came under fire for taking peoples money in exchange for autographs….except he didn’t fulfill his orders and kept the money. This is for the adults in the room.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Well, good news for io a. If McCaffery bolts for the Irish, they can always make a run at another racist…. Greggggg at crayton

FTR, the coaches were dismissed from the law suit two weeks ago. Brian and Kirk aren’t happy with this settlement and wanted their day in court. Our legal system sucks. Attorney fees for the plaintiffs take half that $4 million. The 13 players ended up with roughly $183k a piece.
It would have been interesting to hear Brian Ferentz testify.

I'm picturing something like: "Hell I could have a poster of James Earl Ray in my office and it still wouldn't be among the top 20 reasons to fire me."

It's all kinda lame... A few people say and do some seriously stupid stuff and then anyone and everyone that wears the gear of the school gets labeled racist. It's lazy. Iowa and Nebraska have so much in common from the people to the land and how they use it. Seems silly with all the name calling

It's all kinda lame... A few people say and do some seriously stupid stuff and then anyone and everyone that wears the gear of the school gets labeled racist. It's lazy. Iowa and Nebraska have so much in common from the people to the land and how they use it. Seems silly with all the name calling
Welcome to literally every phase of life, after 1 party plays the race card constantly

Reactions: donahues17
I find it hilarious that some hate is okay while some isnt. And how people profit off it. Hey, as long as your on the mobs side, its all gravy.

So much has come out to be untrue it’s ridiculous. Weird what happens when you’re put under oath. Wadley was the one you referred to in your first post. He is also the guy who came under fire for taking peoples money in exchange for autographs….except he didn’t fulfill his orders and kept the money. This is for the adults in the room.

seems to me both the university & these dipshit iowa fans got what they had coming. imagine being a grown man and purchasing autographs from a college kid? LOL!

good for this player & his friends for getting theirs while you and every other moron with poop in his pants cry and cry and cry and cry

oh, and lose to NU

print this bullshit out & tape it to the inside of the janitor's closet where you keep the supplies - nobody here's reading a word of it

I already posted above how this went down, maybe you missed it, so here ya go:

Iowa BOR to the former players, “Dismiss the valid and credible law suits against individual coaches and we’ll pay 4 million dollars.”

Former player’s attorneys, “we’ll dismiss the individual law suits, however we’ll retain the right to reopen in the future and you’ll pay us 4 million dollars to settle this valid and credible lawsuit.”

Iowa BOR response, “You have us by the short hairs, we accept the offer and we can now consider this matter adequately swept under the rug.”

• Love
Reactions: SuperBigFan
Oh that’s rich. They spent the last year avoiding being deposed.

Iowa fans probably just think this 4 million dollar payment is just "reparations"

Look, TT is about to fire their BB for being racist. Iowa keeps their "god" FB coach AND pays 4 million to dudes he offended.

Sidenote, I love that TT its canning their basketball coach but the Jays kept Greg, haha.

• Haha
Oh that’s rich. They spent the last year avoiding being deposed.
No shit.

Could you imagine that racist coach and his son on the stand where they actually have to answer questions from non-friendly reporters but actual lawyers. Good lord, it would have been a blood bath unless Barta was the judge.

You mean the people that Iowa just paid out $4 mil due to their actions? Don’t give me that sanctimonious BS.
No, I mean me. You implied I think being a racist is equal to being a bad coach. This is my last post in this dialogue with you, but when I was initially attacked (accused of being weird), I wasn't going to just let it go.

No, I mean me. You implied I think being a racist is equal to being a bad coach. This is my last post in this dialogue with you, but when I was initially attacked (accused of being weird), I wasn't going to just let it go.
Ok, whatever. I didn't say you were weird. I said it was a weird comparison. I still think it is weird to read about Iowa's settlement related to accusations of racism and say "that's a bargain compared to what Nebraska has paid failed coaches." I'm not going to let it go either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT