ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Iowa settles in racism suit; will pay out $4 million in damages

Get Away Woman GIF by HBO Max

it's laugh out loud funny you and every other low class (both meanings) iowa fan are footing half the bill

cyclone fans' tax dollars also contributing to the racism settlement is pure poetry

entire state of iowa can't burn to the ground soon enough
It does equate to about $1/iowan to pay the attorneys….and as a former Iowan, it’s still repulsive….yet peanuts to the plaintiffs.

It’s unfortunate all around- especially for the people of iowa. Iowa is historically a very progressive state on race related issues. Look it up.

Unfortunate for the fb program(yes, I understand that means nothing here).

Unfortunate because being an asshole or insensitive is one thing(that’s pretty clearly the case with a couple of those originally named in the lawsuit- and also a couple of the players dismissed or that walked back claims when pressed). Being inherently racist yet another, but really that’s not realistic when you have so many AA coaches on the staff and players- far more that came to the defense of their former coaches(including Nebraska native Noah Fant).
Being blind to some it(Ferentz) is also unfortunate.

Unfortunate the bulk of the settlement goes to the attorneys that pushed the issue more than the players who had no money. As their clients had diminishing odds of winning and almost certainly no chance of paying the attorney fees. Understandably the coaches wanted their day in court.

So, masterful job by the plaintiff’s attorneys to release the coaches from the suit, who wanted their day in court, and have the state liable….got them their $2.5m.

The world would be better if people quit dividing between good and evil, black and white. In this case like most situations…there’s context and gray areas.

The AD should not survive. Probably will see a retirement announced as he’s at that age, recent cancer survivor. New AD will bring new structure. Coaching changes typically follow AD changes in relatively short order- a season or two, and Ferentz is at ‘that’ age as well.

We’ll have new Iowa fodder soon

It does equate to about $1/iowan to pay the attorneys….and as a former Iowan, it’s still repulsive….yet peanuts to the plaintiffs.

It’s unfortunate all around- especially for the people of iowa. Iowa is historically a very progressive state on race related issues. Look it up.

Unfortunate because being an asshole or insensitive is one thing(that’s pretty clearly the case with a couple of those originally named in the lawsuit- and also a couple of the players dismissed or that walked back claims when pressed). Being inherently racist yet another, but really that’s not realistic when you have so many AA coaches on the staff and players- far more that came to the defense of their former coaches(including Nebraska native Noah Fant).

Unfortunate the bulk of the settlement goes to the attorneys that pushed the issue more than the players who had no money. As their clients had diminishing odds of winning and almost certainly no chance of paying the attorney fees. Understandably the coaches wanted their day in court.

So, masterful job by the plaintiff’s attorneys to release the coaches from the suit, who wanted their day in court, and have the state liable….got them their $2.5m.

The world would be better if people quit dividing between good and evil, black and white. In this case like most situations…there’s context and gray areas.

The AD should not survive. Probably will see a retirement announced as he’s at that age, recent cancer survivor. New AD will bring new structure. Coaching changes typically follow AD changes in relatively short order- a season or two, and Ferentz is at ‘that’ age as well.

same coaches who steadfastly refused to be deposed now "wanted their day in court"?

yea, okay

Facts hurts some narrative… and understanding of the legal system
I hate to keep reposting this, but the iowa fans ITT seem to need a daily reminder, this is how things went down with the settlement:

Iowa BOR to the former players, “Dismiss the valid and credible law suits against individual coaches and we’ll pay 4 million dollars.”

Former player’s attorneys, “we’ll dismiss the individual law suits, however we’ll retain the right to reopen in the future and you’ll pay us 4 million dollars to settle this valid and credible lawsuit.”

Iowa BOR response, “You have us by the short hairs, we accept the offer and we can now consider this matter adequately swept under the rug.”

Reactions: king_kong_
FTR, the coaches were dismissed from the law suit two weeks ago. Brian and Kirk aren’t happy with this settlement and wanted their day in court. Our legal system sucks. Attorney fees for the plaintiffs take half that $4 million. The 13 players ended up with roughly $183k a piece.
The coaches were dismissed as part of the bargain to payout. Instead of holding the coaching staff and administration accountable and having them pay. Kirk and his buddies stick it again to the state of Iowa and make their fans pay for their mistakes. You suckers just keep letting Kirk and Barta bend you over the coals year in and year out. Not surprising that you would continue to defend them though...

I mean, Prime Told told his team “No hats, hoodies or earrings in team meetings”. If that was said by a white coach I’m guessing that’s racist
Don’t you know in the world we’re living in only white people are racists according to the far left..

Facts hurts some narrative… and understanding of the legal system
Enlighten us, counselor. What don’t we understand. And perhaps use your research and citation skills to cite these facts and the code of civil procedure.

• Love
The coaches were dismissed as part of the bargain to payout. Instead of holding the coaching staff and administration accountable and having them pay. Kirk and his buddies stick it again to the state of Iowa and make their fans pay for their mistakes. You suckers just keep letting Kirk and Barta bend you over the coals year in and year out. Not surprising that you would continue to defend them though...
Incorrect, but that’s ok if you
Enlighten us, counselor. What don’t we understand. And perhaps use your research and citation skills to cite these facts and the code of civil procedure.
They are easily available. Google., or If you’ve sprung for a prescription of the Athletic, this has been covered in great, great lengths for a long, long time. Go to their site, tap the magnifying glass, type in the obvious search words.

It’s been unsettling every step of the way

• Haha
Incorrect, but that’s ok if you

They are easily available. Google., or If you’ve sprung for a prescription of the Athletic, this has been covered in great, great lengths for a long, long time. Go to their site, tap the magnifying glass, type in the obvious search words.

It’s been unsettling every step of the way
Cecil, I asked for you to prove you had some clue about actual legal rules and processes, but you’ve revealed you don’t.

I see though you post in the discussions of this on the Iowa board, so I strongly encourage you to read and understand AuroraHawk’s posts therein too. He makes it quite clear the bs tough guy stance the Ferentzes are peddling, from a legal perspective.

I refuse to post there too, but I’d add to his analysis that the voluntary dismissal process last week of necessity must have involved the information of an impending settlement if the coaches were dismissed. FRCP 41 does not allow a plaintiff to simply dismiss his case if the defendant has a MSJ pending; it’d be unjust to deny the defendant an outright victory instead of just the plaintiff dropping it in the face of certain defeat. In that circumstance, the defendant may object, and the voluntary can only be granted with court approval, which as I recall was given there and then.

If Kirk had so damn much faith in his MSJ, and truly wanted it resolved, the court almost certainly would not have allowed the voluntary over the coach’s objection. No way.

So you see, Kirk touts his strong MSJ, but what motion wouldn’t have some strength before the coach himself had been cross examined? Kirks been avoiding putting hand on the Bible for a year, and his testimony was the next step in the summary judgment proceedings.

Yet oddly it’d appear the coach didn’t file an objection to the voluntary dismissal motion. I wonder why. Perhaps, just perhaps, he knew he wouldn’t even have to sign a settlement agreement a week later that included a lawyerly denial of liability, and he could drop an indignant press release instead.

Look, Iowa fans, think about it...

Is it more likely that Kirk and some of the coaches are a bit racist or is it more likely that Kirk and ALL of the coaches are not racist at all and have never once made any type of comment that could have made players uncomfortable?

Cecil, I asked for you to prove you had some clue about actual legal rules and processes, but you’ve revealed you don’t.

I see though you post in the discussions of this on the Iowa board, so I strongly encourage you to read and understand AuroraHawk’s posts therein too. He makes it quite clear the bs tough guy stance the Ferentzes are peddling, from a legal perspective.

I refuse to post there too, but I’d add to his analysis that the voluntary dismissal process last week of necessity must have involved the information of an impending settlement if the coaches were dismissed. FRCP 41 does not allow a plaintiff to simply dismiss his case if the defendant has a MSJ pending; it’d be unjust to deny the defendant an outright victory instead of just the plaintiff dropping it in the face of certain defeat. In that circumstance, the defendant may object, and the voluntary can only be granted with court approval, which as I recall was given there and then.

If Kirk had so damn much faith in his MSJ, and truly wanted it resolved, the court almost certainly would not have allowed the voluntary over the coach’s objection. No way.

So you see, Kirk touts his strong MSJ, but what motion wouldn’t have some strength before the coach himself had been cross examined? Kirks been avoiding putting hand on the Bible for a year, and his testimony was the next step in the summary judgment proceedings.

Yet oddly it’d appear the coach didn’t file an objection to the voluntary dismissal motion. I wonder why. Perhaps, just perhaps, he knew he wouldn’t even have to sign a settlement agreement a week later that included a lawyerly denial of liability, and he could drop an indignant press release instead.
You seem to have a good understanding of the law, and thus understand the dimensions, and perspectives. Trust you’ve followed this through every step.

If not - do a little search on Damario Solomon-Simmons.

• Haha
Reactions: SaladTossingHawkeye

can you explain your referring to iowa as "we" elsewhere on the internet?

this context will help frame your posts on the matter

thanks in advance

I read as much as I could find on this when it first popped a few years ago....several claims made by players made them look like pillow soft mental midget pussies. Not saying Iowa is 100% without sin here but several claims were contridicted by their own actions...such as one of the pillow soft mental midgets begging Kirk give his brother a full ride....after the pussy graduated. His time there couldn't have been that bad could it? This whole deal looked a little shifty to me...dare I say money grab by some?
Defending iowa as not being racist is a wild hill to die on

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT