ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

Will have to agree with the iowegians on one major point. They have done more with their talent than we have. That's about to change.
THAT'S MY point...until we beat them, we should lay low...let them wallow in the pride of their Communist driven, brain addled populace...

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Tim,

Look at the "BoR" section of my previous response. I lived in Nebraska during these times, I know my husker friends felt like he was hanging on to the previous guys work and getting worse on his way out. Everything that is iowa right now is KF. Sure Hayden built us during the 80s but with his health issues the program was in a really bad spot when KF took over. Whatever it is something like 16 of the last 18 years to a bowl game etc is the program KF has built. Not what did tommy do to daddy's company after he took over like the feeling was with BP. You know a great resource for this conversation you guys have is a guy named "9 and 4". He lives in th IC area and is a husker fan.
Generally I respect your posts because you don’t always try and flame. And what Kirk has done for Iowa shouldn’t be understated. He has been great for the university.

What is clear to me is that, unless he consistently recruits in the top 20, he’s tapped out. This is his ceiling, the same as we experienced with Bo.

I like Kirk and respect him. But if you want more, you likely need to look elsewhere.

Generally I respect your posts because you don’t always try and flame. And what Kirk has done for Iowa shouldn’t be understated. He has been great for the university.

What is clear to me is that, unless he consistently recruits in the top 20, he’s tapped out. This is his ceiling, the same as we experienced with Bo.

I like Kirk and respect him. But if you want more, you likely need to look elsewhere.
100% agree. At this point KF has done enough for the program and University that he will get to go out on his own terms, as a fan I hope the next guy can pick it up where it is left off and advance. A program like Iowa is at risk of turning into Illinois if the right hire is not made. (Which is why it scares the piss out of us for Barta to be the guy who hires.)

(Side conversation: How the heck is Illinois so bad?)

Last edited:
I would be surprised if Iowa averaged more than 17 ppg on offense next year.

While I could see us taking a slight step back I dont think 17 is reasonable. I cannot explain how bad Iowa was when KF took over.

All stats and rankings from https://www.sports-reference.com

2018: 31.2 (44th of 130)
2017: 28.2 (66th of 130)
2016: 24.9 (95th of 128)
2015: 30.9 (53rd of 128)
2014: 28.2 (70th of 128)
2013: 26.3 (80th of 125)
2012: 19.3 (113th of 124)
2011: 27.5 (58th of 120)
2010: 28.9 (49thof 120)
2009: 23.2 (86th of 120)
2008: 30.3 (33rd of 120)
2007: 18.5 (111th of 120)
2006: 23.8 (58th of 119)
2005: 30.0 (38th of 119)
2004: 24.3 (70th of 120)
2003: 28.7 (41st of 117)
2002: 37.2 (7th of 117)
2001: 32.6 (23rd of 117)
2000: 16.9 (101st of 116)
1999: 14.7 (105th of 114)

Fwiw I think our defense will actually be better.

While I could see us taking a slight step back I dont think 17 is reasonable. I cannot explain how bad Iowa was when KF took over.

All stats and rankings from https://www.sports-reference.com

2018: 31.2 (44th of 130)
2017: 28.2 (66th of 130)
2016: 24.9 (95th of 128)
2015: 30.9 (53rd of 128)
2014: 28.2 (70th of 128)
2013: 26.3 (80th of 125)
2012: 19.3 (113th of 124)
2011: 27.5 (58th of 120)
2010: 28.9 (49thof 120)
2009: 23.2 (86th of 120)
2008: 30.3 (33rd of 120)
2007: 18.5 (111th of 120)
2006: 23.8 (58th of 119)
2005: 30.0 (38th of 119)
2004: 24.3 (70th of 120)
2003: 28.7 (41st of 117)
2002: 37.2 (7th of 117)
2001: 32.6 (23rd of 117)
2000: 16.9 (101st of 116)
1999: 14.7 (105th of 114)

Fwiw I think our defense will actually be better.

Who cares about your past? I'm talking about next year. And your D will not be as good. You took some huge losses.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Who cares about your past? I'm talking about next year. And your D will not be as good. You took some huge losses.
I used that to show the idea of averaging 17 points isnt realistic. By our standards our offensive line was not good this year and it sounds like some things have been done to really address that. We have a MEAN mofo that was brought in and was going to play DT but needed to add weight, after adding weight the coaches have said he is our center going fwd. Iowa was unusually weak G-C-G this year. We started two freshman at CB most of the year and 3 new linebackers. We are going to miss Amani Hooker and Anthony Nelson no doubt but the experiance of the corners and linebackers will be huge.

It is slightly better than what we normally get but lacks a star at WR we really needed. It is a really good foundation class but we are going to need to add some playmakers at DE and WR next year. As far as the "why do we stick with KF?". I too get frustrated we dont push for confrence championships more or the playoff picture but the facts are the list of teams that have won 8 games or more for the last 4 years is like 10-15 teams and we are one. I dont mean this as a shot at nebraska but think about the coaches you guys have gone through and finally think you have a good coach again, we have just been able to build for 20 years from the consistency. We are not nebraska, we dont have the history, but the brand has got much bigger/better. You also have to give some credit to the fact that he has ran an organization that has 100ish 18-20 year olds each year, along with coaches, and in 20 years the biggest problems we had were rhabdo, a case of college kids selling drugs, and other minor stuff. No rape, no cheating, no "lack of institutional control" etc. We play in a decent bowl game every year and have a couple guys drafted every year. I will say I have actually appreciated Nebraska/MN/wiscy stepping the recruitting game up.

Fwiw, I think you have out recruited us since joining the B10.

Really nice to see you come here and be civil, much appreciated and more enjoyable! Thank you.

I would be surprised if Iowa averaged more than 17 ppg on offense next year.

30+ ppg this season & scored 46 offensive touchdowns.

By comparison, Nebraska had 28 ppg & 44 offensive touchdowns.

The yardage disparity (rarely relied on as a winning number)? Iowa had an elite defense that was top 10 in overall D & 2nd in takeaways, which usually offered up a short field to work with.

The TE production will remain
high under BF. The RB production will be vastly improved as well.

The yardage disparity (rarely relied on as a winning number)? Iowa had an elite defense that was top 10 in overall D & 2nd in takeaways, which usually offered up a short field to work with.

giphy.gif

Reactions: SkerInCo

According to the NCAA, you averaged 31.2 ppg and we averaged 30.0 ppg. While you averaged 375 ypg (91st) and we averaged 456 ypg (25th).

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21

I know why Nebraska fans are optimistic we will be better, not sure what is inspiring the supreme confidence we will see improvement from the Hawks.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
FYI, British parliament votes down Brexit 202-432.

Carry on
Theresa May is in big trouble. Probably will lose a no confidence vote now. Yikes. March 29th is the deadline for Brexit. With no deal in place it could be a rough landing economically for the UK, with ripple effects in Europe and here. Britain’s economy is not huge by any means, but London rivals New York as the financial capital of the world. The Pound is one of the world’s strongest currencies. Not good.

Theresa May is in big trouble. Probably will lose a no confidence vote now. Yikes. March 29th is the deadline for Brexit. With no deal in place it could be a rough landing economically for the UK, with ripple effects in Europe and here. Britain’s economy is not huge by any means, but London rivals New York as the financial capital of the world. The Pound is one of the world’s strongest currencies. Not good.
Better than discussing Iowa or at least change the direction. Might even get it locked. I think Brexit is good because I think uk was getting hosed but TM made a bad deal with eu. She could still stay in power and hope she does. They just need a exit deal that's better for uk

On a Nebraska board, no one asked you to come here. Nebraska fans can say whatever they want about the pos iowegians.

In a thread where a Husker fan makes a post called Iowa and a couple Husker fans lure an Iowa fan to comment then get pissy when he actually has a decent conversation. If this were my first time on this board I would sure think the Nebraska fan was the dick not the Iowa fan.

Better than discussing Iowa or at least change the direction. Might even get it locked. I think Brexit is good because I think uk was getting hosed but TM made a bad deal with eu. She could still stay in power and hope she does. They just need a exit deal that's better for uk
Agreed. I supported Brexit. I am anti-EU. I lived in Rome for a while back around 2008-2012. I worked there as a professor at one of the pontifical universities. I had numerous discussions with Italians teaching economics who did nothing but bitch about how the EU was bad for Italy. In fact, their claim was that the EU was skewed from the start to benefit the Germans and the French economically. Countries like Italy and Greece were just screwed.

In a thread where a Husker fan makes a post called Iowa and a couple Husker fans lure an Iowa fan to comment then get pissy when he actually has a decent conversation. If this were my first time on this board I would sure think the Nebraska fan was the dick not the Iowa fan.
Agreed. Well said

Iowa has the 39th rated recruiting class according to rivals. Is that an improvement over past years or about where they usually finish? I am too lazy to research this further since Iowa sucks and isn’t worth my time. But if somebody on here knows the answer I would be interested.

I ask simply because I can’t for the life of me figure out why Iowa fans stick with Ferentz. They have all the tools necessary to be a much better program. But they stand loyally behind Captain Boring.
he has dirt on the university president?

Lol! You are really comparing a first year program coach stats to a veteran program staff? Plus you had a much more tenured qb than we did. I GUARANTEE Iowa will not have as many ppg next year as Nebraska had. It wont even be close.

Lol! You are really comparing a first year program coach stats to a veteran program staff? Plus you had a much more tenured qb than we did. I GUARANTEE Iowa will not have as many ppg next year as Nebraska had. It wont even be close.
That's proabably reasonable. The difference is you are comparing offense to offense where your head coach and direction of the program is offensive minded. Ours is defense. If our offense can even be in the same ballpark as yours the balckshirts have a LONG way to go to catch up with the hawk defense.

What is most likely to happen however is "you" will get better at D and "we" will get better at O and we as fans will get to watch great games.

That's proabably reasonable. The difference is you are comparing offense to offense where your head coach and direction of the program is offensive minded. Ours is defense. If our offense can even be in the same ballpark as yours the balckshirts have a LONG way to go to catch up with the hawk defense.

What is most likely to happen however is "you" will get better at D and "we" will get better at O and we as fans will get to watch great games.
What makes you think Iowa will be better on offense next year?

An offensive cord in his 3rd year and has progressed each year, a 3rd year quarterback, 3rd year tackles and I'll stretch and say our overall o line will be better, 3rd year wide recievers.

Our run game/running back situation was considerably off the mark for our standards. As previously mention the 1 guy on our squad that was dynamic had a high ankle sprain most of the year and we are getting a running back we are pretty excited about. What you saw this year was not a standard Iowa OLine. I will agree all day our coaches do not recruit to the level I wish they would but they have shown an ability to identify a weakness and make it better. Our run game WILL be better. Just like I'm sure if I asked "what makes you think the defense will get better" you would have examples.

Reactions: timnsun

Iowa always has good defenses. Anybody that argues that is just not smart. Iowa's offense on the other hand will fall drastically next year. Loss of 2 great TEs and not much for receiving to begin with. Never know who may step up and open some eyeballs though to make a name for himself. Worst thing for Iowa is the QB position. There has been maybe 2 QBs that have gotten better as they have gotten older. Stanley's sophomore year he really shined. Took a step back his junior year and will not be any better his senior year. He should have also went pro.

Iowa always has good defenses. Anybody that argues that is just not smart. Iowa's offense on the other hand will fall drastically next year. Loss of 2 great TEs and not much for receiving to begin with. Never know who may step up and open some eyeballs though to make a name for himself. Worst thing for Iowa is the QB position. There has been maybe 2 QBs that have gotten better as they have gotten older. Stanley's sophomore year he really shined. Took a step back his junior year and will not be any better his senior year. He should have also went pro.
That looks a lot like an opinion stated as a fact. Again, after 20 years, I just give KF the benefit of the doubt we will have the next TE nobody has ever heard of step in and be a stud. He has earned it.

That looks a lot like an opinion stated as a fact. Again, after 20 years, I just give KF the benefit of the doubt we will have the next TE nobody has ever heard of step in and be a stud. He has earned it.

That is not what’s going to take to win the West in the future.. Be warned we are coming for you and so is the rest of the West..

KF is good at developing players. Below average game day coach. He has never won an outright Big10 title and never will. Ranked 6 times in 20 seasons is subpar to the rest of the college football world, but Iowa fans think KF is a coaching legend. Plays a boring, old school pro style offense. To play that sort of offense and win championships, you better recruit like USC or Bama.

An offensive cord in his 3rd year and has progressed each year, a 3rd year quarterback, 3rd year tackles and I'll stretch and say our overall o line will be better, 3rd year wide recievers.

Our run game/running back situation was considerably off the mark for our standards. As previously mention the 1 guy on our squad that was dynamic had a high ankle sprain most of the year and we are getting a running back we are pretty excited about. What you saw this year was not a standard Iowa OLine. I will agree all day our coaches do not recruit to the level I wish they would but they have shown an ability to identify a weakness and make it better. Our run game WILL be better. Just like I'm sure if I asked "what makes you think the defense will get better" you would have examples.

RollingLaugh

Yes, some positions are developed very well. But if Iowa is an "assembly line to the NFL" (which the numbers do not bear out) then the annual 7-8 wins don't seem so amazing. How can a program be an assembly line to the NFL and only win 7-8 games a year?
This is my biggest beef with Ferentz. So much NFL talent yet wins don’t match up. I can’t stand our board of snobs that think Kirk is literally the best Iowa can do because “I didn’t witness the 70’s”. My rebuttal is always, “how do we know Iowa can’t do better when we have had two coaches for 40 freaking years?”

I’m on board with getting rid of Kirk and not hiring his son, but my vote doesn’t count.

Reactions: huskerfan66
This is my biggest beef with Ferentz. So much NFL talent yet wins don’t match up. I can’t stand our board of snobs that think Kirk is literally the best Iowa can do because “I didn’t witness the 70’s”. My rebuttal is always, “how do we know Iowa can’t do better when we have had two coaches for 40 freaking years?”

I’m on board with getting rid of Kirk and not hiring his son, but my vote doesn’t count.
What is the consensus from Iowa fans on little Farentz? I would say the 70’s argument is pretty bunk, to be honest. Iowa is currently a Top 25 program, with good facilities in a good conference. Times change, it is a much more attractive job now, I would think. So why compare it to 40 years ago when no one wanted the job?

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIowahawks

I honestly don’t think he’s a terrible coach but he’s certainly nothing to write home about on gameday. He does very well developing players and fielding a competent defense. Something is missing though and I can’t tell you what it is other than not having the horses to become explosive. If I were a Hawkeye fan I probably wouldn’t want to see him fired. I do feel for you guys though if they pass the torch off to Junior...

They do seem to develop TEs but you won't have a QB that you can count on. Stanley digressed this past season. He won't get any better and when he struggles, Captain Kirk won't replace him out of loyalty.

They do seem to develop TEs but you won't have a QB that you can count on. Stanley digressed this past season. He won't get any better and when he struggles, Captain Kirk won't replace him out of loyalty.
I think you are looking for regressed.

If we are going to take the next step offensively Stanley is going to have to improve the completion percentage, no doubt there. Something we did little of this year, that I would expect to see more of next year, would be screen passes. I dont know the exact number but if someone said we ran less than 20 screens I would believe it.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT