ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

They do a very good job at developing some positions and continuity of staff helps. But LOL at "assembly line to the NFL".
Have you seen the number of NFL players we have produced while not being a perennial powerhouse? If you are a OL, TE, or DB we sure as hell are a pipeline.

Iowa lost all their receiving power this off season. I would leave for the draft if I was their qb.

Have you seen the number of NFL players we have produced while not being a perennial powerhouse? If you are a OL, TE, or DB we sure as hell are a pipeline.
Yes, some positions are developed very well. But if Iowa is an "assembly line to the NFL" (which the numbers do not bear out) then the annual 7-8 wins don't seem so amazing. How can a program be an assembly line to the NFL and only win 7-8 games a year?

What the hell is Stanley going to do next year when he needs bailing out??

Iowa only has one decent receiver coming back and no break away threat at running back, just adequate..
Iowa is always so hard to predict. They can start the season losing to Northern Iowa or some shit team like that and are 3-3 at the halfway point, and then string together five straight wins. That indicates good coaching. Still, because Ferentz and staff are mediocre recruiters (the main point of this thread) it prevents them from breaking through to the next level. He really is Pelini without the temper. Pelini, in my opinion, was a good coach in terms of the fundamentals of football. But he could not recruit so his teams were never of a championship caliber.

All that said... I see Iowa going 7-5 next year or even 6-6

Last edited:
Reactions: donahues17
Iowa is always so hard to predict. They can start the season losing to Northern Iowa or some shit team like that and are 3-3 at the halfway point, and then string together five straight wins. That indicates good coaching. Still, because Ferentz and staff are mediocre recruiters (the main point of this thread) it prevents them from breaking through to the next level. He really is Pelini without the temper. Pelini, in my opinion, was a good coach in terms of the fundamentals of football. But he could not recruit so his teams were never of a championship caliber.

All that said... I see Iowa going 7-5 next year of even 6-6

Pelini never lost less than 9 games...Just an observation..;)

What the hell is Stanley going to do next year when he needs bailing out??

Iowa only has one decent receiver coming back and no break away threat at running back, just adequate..

I didnt think you were going to want to get this in depth but I will give it my best.

I would like to first say IF "KILROY" SHOWS UP AND STARTS GOING ALL HERKYJERK ABOUT STAR RATINGS I AM SORRY.

Here is what I see happening. #12, Brandon Smith, really came into his own this year and I expect him to continue to grow and get better. He was forced to play as a true freshman 2 years ago and we really watched him come into his own this year as a sophomore. His roommate Ihmir smith-marsette is our speedster, lead the nation in K.O. returns for.mich of the year and finished 2nd I believe. Ihmir is much more confident than Brandon and while Ihmir had a decent year this year, we as a fanbase, think he isnt going to like being overshadowed by his roommate and hope for great things. The true "safety blanket" is going to be the guy that replaces Nick easley, his name is Tyron Tracy (sp) and he is probably the most dynamic WR we have had in some time he just came in as a true freshman and played the same spot as a 50 catch a year 5th year senior. TE is what most people are alluding to, as we lose significant production there, we have a former WR who has been bulking up for 3 years whose dad was an NFL TE, and we are hoping he takes the place of Fant. Logan Lee is TJ hockenson 2.0 but might not have to go this year as there is another guy that was TJs back up who seems serviceable. I am not going to even attempt to say TE will be an equal replacement but with the gain from WR the Recieving core in general should be a push. You are 100% correct that our running backs left something to be desired this year. Our best all around back, Ivory kelly-martin, had a high ankle sprain for much of the year and we really think he will produce at a higher level next year. There is also a freshman, who has a different skillset(think reggie bush) that we think will play early and often. Kind of along the point of the thread though we dont always know, but somehow, KF always puts a solid competitive team on the field.

Yes, some positions are developed very well. But if Iowa is an "assembly line to the NFL" (which the numbers do not bear out) then the annual 7-8 wins don't seem so amazing. How can a program be an assembly line to the NFL and only win 7-8 games a year?
That's part of the "developmental program" we dont have mass guys who can compete for NC's but we build a handful every year.

I have not looked at the numbers at all so this is a true bet but I'm willing to bet pelini got blown out by 30 points more while at nebraska than KF has the last 10 years.

Solich is an interesting case study, you guys were still high on the hog of TO and thought you were 1 coach away from keeping that train rolling. I'm willing to bet there were times during Callahan, pelini, and certainly M.R. that you would have welcomed solich with open arms.

I have not looked at the numbers at all so this is a true bet but I'm willing to bet pelini got blown out by 30 points more while at nebraska than KF has the last 10 years.
True. It is one of the biggest factors in why he got fired. Way, way too many “big games” on the big stage where his teams got blown out. He was supposedly a defensive guru, but his defenses sucked once he was playing with his own recruits.
Ferentz always seems to field tough defenses, which can keep games close

Solich is an interesting case study, you guys were still high on the hog of TO and thought you were 1 coach away from keeping that train rolling. I'm willing to bet there were times during Callahan, pelini, and certainly M.R. that you would have welcomed solich with open arms.
Hahaha. You are scratching at a very persistent scab here. Careful!

Never wanted him gone that was AD Pederson decision
and he and Eichorst has ego’s that butched their hiring of a new Head Coach and Nebraska...

Just like you fan base doesn’t want Barta to make the next decision on who the next Head Coach is unless he gives it to KF kid..

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Do you consider that to be an "assembly line to the NFL" like your friend Brad Tucker?
The tend to all come from the same position groups so as I said previously I have no issue calling iowa pipeline if you are a DB, TE, or O line but there are any more positions needed to win big games.

Never wanted him gone that was AD Pederson decision
and he and Eichorst has ego’s that butched their hiring of a new Head Coach and Nebraska...

Just like you fan base doesn’t want Barta to make the next decision on who the next Head Coach is unless he gives it to KF kid..
Amen to that, that's an underlying issue here also in that when KF goes its likely they blow up the entire AD.

What was his biggest bowl win? How many times did you watch your team get boat raced? Do you think your program got better or worse while he was at the helm?
I think he sucked, but different people have different standards. In Iowa they would build him a statue and give him a lifetime contract.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I think he sucked, but different people have different standards. In Iowa they would build him a statue and give him a lifetime contract.
If you stop trying to have a pissing contest you could join a pretty good conversation.

As a follow up, the U of I wouldnt have put of up BP even if he was winning the b10 every other year. Again, the BoR cares more about the perception of the university than 1 or 2 wins a year. BP was a disgrace on the sidelines.

Reactions: kwicasso
What was his biggest bowl win? How many times did you watch your team get boat raced? Do you think your program got better or worse while he was at the helm?
I think you are proving headcard’s point... Pelini wasn’t a great coach, didn’t win on the big stage, best win was holiday bowl over Washington or citrus? against Georgia...

And yet he was 3-1 against Ferentz.

Tim,

Look at the "BoR" section of my previous response. I lived in Nebraska during these times, I know my husker friends felt like he was hanging on to the previous guys work and getting worse on his way out. Everything that is iowa right now is KF. Sure Hayden built us during the 80s but with his health issues the program was in a really bad spot when KF took over. Whatever it is something like 16 of the last 18 years to a bowl game etc is the program KF has built. Not what did tommy do to daddy's company after he took over like the feeling was with BP. You know a great resource for this conversation you guys have is a guy named "9 and 4". He lives in th IC area and is a husker fan.

Iowa has the 39th rated recruiting class according to rivals. Is that an improvement over past years or about where they usually finish? I am too lazy to research this further since Iowa sucks and isn’t worth my time. But if somebody on here knows the answer I would be interested.

I ask simply because I can’t for the life of me figure out why Iowa fans stick with Ferentz. They have all the tools necessary to be a much better program. But they stand loyally behind Captain Boring.

I mean, you posted this on a computer, did you not?

You should probably look up the definition of irony then and realize the thread title is "Iowa". I'm not having a pissing contest in anyway I'm simply discussing "Iowa" in a "Iowa" thread.
On a Nebraska board, no one asked you to come here. Nebraska fans can say whatever they want about the pos iowegians.

Reactions: headcard
I think you are proving headcard’s point... Pelini wasn’t a great coach, didn’t win on the big stage, best win was holiday bowl over Washington or citrus? against Georgia...

And yet he was 3-1 against Ferentz.
Don't forget Clemson

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT