ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa has 22 commits already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no lover of the Hawks, but give them credit, right or wrong they have developed a system that keeps them in the mix and have a real good season every few years. Before we can rise to division championships or higher, we first need to improve to get to IA's program is at.

All of that is because they have had the same Head Coach for over 20 years now. He’s got his system installed and has been for decades now. His offenses and defenses don’t make mistakes and do what it’s designed to do. To beat Iowa, you have to play a clean game and don’t make mistakes. Simple as that. There’s a reason why Iowa is and will always be a 7-5 to 8-4 team (9-3 is their absolute ceiling) that doesn’t win titles of any type. They will beat bad teams but they can’t beat the good teams. Once Frost has his systems going strong, Iowa is going to struggle to keep the game close. Hell, they barely beat us now with last second FGs while we go 4-8 and 5-7, struggling and making mistakes...let alone when we get our systems are going full speed.

I'm no lover of the Hawks, but give them credit, right or wrong they have developed a system that keeps them in the mix and have a real good season every few years. Before we can rise to division championships or higher, we first need to improve to get to IA's program is at.
Nebraska is always going to be able to recruit above all teams in the West and probably most of the teams in the East. Hell even after 3 b2b losing season we are looking at pulling in a top 15-20 class. So from recruiting standpoint we are past them. Especially if we can get to that 7-9 win mark, they will never keep up with us.
This reason Iowa has success is like you said they have a system in place and it is a well oiled machine. They take unwanted players and turn them into NFL level talent. That is the area Nebraska has been lacking for so long. We are able to pull in talent, then it seems we have a hard time keeping them or developing that talent. Frost and staff are proving they will be able to recruit, now they need to show can they get the most out of the talent. If they can, it will be the kiss of death for all other West teams.

I agree with you. Recruits are the ingredients but you may end up with a mess if you keep changing chef's. Lower recruits with coaching continuity beats stronger recruits with constant coaching and player turnover.

Iowa has done it right by staying patient with Ferentz. Nebraska is working to be as efficient. If recruiting at this level continues and we have continuity with the staff, the result should be a better product on the field.

SWIowahawks would you agree?
Time will tell. You can’t convince me that there is a noticeable difference in a 5.7 three star and a 5.8 four star. There is a huge history of teams loaded with 4 and 5 star talent that completely underachieve. Frost and staff need to show they know what to do with that talent and that they are getting the right kids.

That doesn’t mean Nebraska’s classes weren’t better. Nebraska has had issues with development no doubt about it. Time will tell if this staff can develop said recruits. But, from a strictly talent standpoint it’s pretty clear Nebraska’s class>Iowa’s class.

Ferentz does a good job developing his recruits. But, perhaps he would have had more than one division title in those ten years had he landed more 4 star recruits.
You could be correct. Iowa’s recruiting has gotten a ton better the past four years and the results are showing on the field. It seems the floor is being raised to 8+ wins regularly and it doesn’t seem to be changing anytime soon.

As to Kirk just being a good “developer”, he obviously is. But he has a very good eye for talent and character. You can’t develope guys in one or two years if they don’t have talent. If Kirk offers a three star kid early in the process, my money is on the fact that the kid out performs his ranking and has a legit shot at making money in the NFL.

Reactions: 9and4
Haven’t they been for the last decade? By a lot. I’ll stick with my guns and say I love the fact that Iowa got a ton of guys they wanted early on. Continuity goes a long ways.
Don't be disingenuous.
Iowa fans hate our skill player recruiting. Consistency at rb? Lack of wide outs?
Theres even no assurances the TE position is a guarantee top ten in recruiting.

Continuity in staff has hurt us the most where it counts,on our lines.
That continuity obviously has worse effects on the slower developing players,the lines.
Times up.

Reactions: zrob
All of that is because they have had the same Head Coach for over 20 years now. He’s got his system installed and has been for decades now. His offenses and defenses don’t make mistakes and do what it’s designed to do. To beat Iowa, you have to play a clean game and don’t make mistakes. Simple as that. There’s a reason why Iowa is and will always be a 7-5 to 8-4 team (9-3 is their absolute ceiling) that doesn’t win titles of any type. They will beat bad teams but they can’t beat the good teams. Once Frost has his systems going strong, Iowa is going to struggle to keep the game close. Hell, they barely beat us now with last second FGs while we go 4-8 and 5-7, struggling and making mistakes...let alone when we get our systems are going full speed.
You continue to show that you have such a small understanding of Iowa football, yet it’s one of your favorite topics. The harp on Ferentz is that he beats teams he isn’t supposed to, but always drops one or more he shouldn’t. Until this year anyways. (Well, Minnesota was top 10 when Iowa beat them so maybe not).

Don't be disingenuous.
Iowa fans hate our skill player recruiting. Consistency at rb? Lack of wide outs?
Theres even no assurances the TE position is a guarantee top ten in recruiting.

Continuity in staff has hurt us the most where it counts,on our lines.
That continuity obviously has worse effects on the slower developing players,the lines.
Times up.
Sure, Iowa fans used to wonder why Kirk can’t get four star position players like Nebraska. Then those players don’t amount to much. Heck, Iowa’s position players were deeper and more talented than Nebraska’s this past season, one could argue.

Sure, Iowa fans used to wonder why Kirk can’t get four star position players like Nebraska. Then those players don’t amount to much. Heck, Iowa’s position players were deeper and more talented than Nebraska’s this past season, one could argue.

Only because Mo Washington left the team and Wandale was hurt.

Either Iowa is incapable of landing higher ranked skill players...and recruits in general or Ferentz just isn’t chasing them. If it works so well, fine...works out for Wisconsin. But, Iowa has one won division title in 9 years. Perhaps a boost in recruiting would help?

I only watched Iowa a few times this past season, but from the little I saw Iowa’s skill guys didn’t look great. Except for Goodson. He looks like a future stud. In the NU-Iowa game tho, I thought Stanley looked pretty good, but too many drops from receivers kept us in the game.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I only watched Iowa a few times this past season, but from the little I saw Iowa’s skill guys didn’t look great. Except for Goodson. He looks like a future stud. In the NU-Iowa game tho, I thought Stanley looked pretty good, but too many drops from receivers kept us in the game.
Our guys are still trying to tackle Ihmir Smith-Marsette.

Fair enough. Brandon Smith was the top WR and he missed the last half of the season. Tyrone Tracy is a freshman that came on in Smith’s absence but like you said, had some big time drops. I wish Iowa would figure out better ways to get the ball in his hands like Nebraska does with Wan’Dale.

Both Brandon Smith and Smith-Marsette have good chances of playing the NFL.

Fair enough. Brandon Smith was the top WR and he missed the last half of the season. Tyrone Tracy is a freshman that came on in Smith’s absence but like you said, had some big time drops. I wish Iowa would figure out better ways to get the ball in his hands like Nebraska does with Wan’Dale.

Both Brandon Smith and Smith-Marsette have good chances of playing the NFL.
Hey how is deer hunting going?

Only because Mo Washington left the team and Wandale was hurt.

Either Iowa is incapable of landing higher ranked skill players...and recruits in general or Ferentz just isn’t chasing them. If it works so well, fine...works out for Wisconsin. But, Iowa has one won division title in 9 years. Perhaps a boost in recruiting would help?
I was counting Wan’Dale. Wan’Dale equals Tyrone Tracy. (Both freshmen). JD Spielman is hard to compare because it seems like all he does is catch wide open passes. Off the top of my head I can’t think of plays where he broke tackles or made guys miss. To me, that’s a system guy.

After Spielman and Wan’Dale there was nothing. Mills came on late alittle. But he also had Martinez in the read option so it’s hard to compare with a RB Iowa has who is given the ball and is in his own.

Rhamir is an interesting case. I think it’s odd that the coaches redshirted him if he was a difference maker. Would it not be beneficial to trade a redshirt year for a bowl game? Goodson started the year behind three backs with experience and by the end of the year he was the starter. If a guy is going to make a difference, you play him.

Jmo
I was counting Wan’Dale. Wan’Dale equals Tyrone Tracy. (Both freshmen). JD Spielman is hard to compare because it seems like all he does is catch wide open passes. Off the top of my head I can’t think of plays where he broke tackles or made guys miss. To me, that’s a system guy.

After Spielman and Wan’Dale there was nothing. Mills came on late alittle. But he also had Martinez in the read option so it’s hard to compare with a RB Iowa has who is given the ball and is in his own.

Rhamir is an interesting case. I think it’s odd that the coaches redshirted him if he was a difference maker. Would it not be beneficial to trade a redshirt year for a bowl game? Goodson started the year behind three backs with experience and by the end of the year he was the starter. If a guy is going to make a difference, you play him.
jmo I think the coaches want rhamir to get his feet wet but needs to add muscle and weight, if he can do that and not lose any speed, look out

I disagree that Tyrone Tracy equals Wandale. Nobody equals Wandale. He is our Neo. The One. When things look their darkest we turn to Wandale to bring us back to the light. He’s an All American on the field and in our hearts. All hail Wandale.

Time will tell. You can’t convince me that there is a noticeable difference in a 5.7 three star and a 5.8 four star. There is a huge history of teams loaded with 4 and 5 star talent that completely underachieve. Frost and staff need to show they know what to do with that talent and that they are getting the right kids.
Agree, great recruiting means nothing if the coach and the staff can't develop and utilize them. Texas is a great example of this. It is probably to short of time frame to say if Frost can or can't develop that talent. We should know in the next year or 2.

Last edited:
Ok, if true, take all iowas linemen out of play, but players in the nfi.
See who's playing at skill positions, and to remind you, weve had one guy the last three years.
We even have a TE in the pros, two if you count large reciever tweener types.
Ameer, Rex, a few other wrs.
My point is made here.

Wandale>>>>Tracy and it’s not really all that close.

Also, give me a break on Mills. And what you fail to realize is there might be a reason why Speilman is open. That’s part of being a WR.

I would agree Nebraska lacked WR last year. But from a pure talent standpoint if Mo Washington is involved Nebraska>Iowa.

Reactions: TopGun_

That’s a great example why you don’t get it, Iowa plays a close game against 5 - 7 Nebraska and you think if you were only a little better you would have won. Iowa plays games close basically not to lose look at the Michigan, Penn St and Wisconsin game scores all close games and those teams are much much better than 5 - 7.

My point is the coaching staff has more of a NFL mentality play to win forget the style points.

So, was Tracy all american?
As for us getting up for you guys, why is a kicker your fan bases hero?

That’s a great example why you don’t get it, Iowa plays a close game against 5 - 7 Nebraska and you think if you were only a little better you would have won. Iowa plays games close basically not to lose look at the Michigan, Penn St and Wisconsin game scores all close games and those teams are much much better than 5 - 7.

My point is the coaching staff has more of a NFL mentality play to win forget the style points.

said just like an Iowa fan...Kirk plays it safe. He plays not to get blown out. His offense is designed to protect his defense and milk the clock. If you watch those guys play they don’t hike the ball till the play clock is under 10 seconds left and they do that from the first snap till the last snap of the game. And sure those other teams are there then 5-7 but this 5-7 team still went toe to toe with Iowa and they still had to win with a second FG. To me, that says the two teams aren’t far off from each other...;)

Last edited:

Some odd takes here... Really odd. First you compared Tyrone Tracy a redshirt freshman to Wandale Robinson, a true freshman. Which I guess would be fine but then you made this statement further down: "Rhamir is an interesting case. I think it’s odd that the coaches redshirted him if he was a difference maker." Sooooo... was it odd that Iowa redshirted Tyrone Tracy? Not really, guys get redshirted all the time that are talented players. That shouldn't be a knock on Rhamir, just like it isn't a knock on Tracy.

How about the comparison itself.

Tracy had 605 yards from scrimmage and 3 tds in 11 games
Wandale had 793 yards from scrimmage and 5 tds in 10 games
I'll let people draw their own conclusions from that.

Finally how about this nonsensical take: "Mills came on late alittle. But he also had Martinez in the read option so it’s hard to compare with a RB Iowa has who is given the ball and is in his own."

Ummm what? So apparently running back stats don't count if they run out of the read option? Here let me help you out.

Mills had more yards than Iowa's number 1 back (745 vs. 590 for Goodson). He had a higher YPC average (5.2) than either of Iowa's top 2 runningbacks (5.1, 4.6). He also had more touchdowns (10) than Iowa's top 3 running backs combined (9). This was running behind an objectively poor offensive line.
Just to top this off you made a dumb statement about Spielman despite the fact that he had more yards (898 to 676), Receiving TDs (5 to 4) and yards per catch (18.3 to 16.1) than Iowa's number one receiver.

Iowa has beat us 5 times in a row. There are a lot of things you can compare that we don't and haven't had for awhile (TE play, offensive line play, defensive line play, tackling, etc..) but comparing our skill position guys seems kind of stupid to me.

Some odd takes here... Really odd. First you compared Tyrone Tracy a redshirt freshman to Wandale Robinson, a true freshman. Which I guess would be fine but then you made this statement further down: "Rhamir is an interesting case. I think it’s odd that the coaches redshirted him if he was a difference maker." Sooooo... was it odd that Iowa redshirted Tyrone Tracy? Not really, guys get redshirted all the time that are talented players. That shouldn't be a knock on Rhamir, just like it isn't a knock on Tracy.

Finally how about this nonsensical take: "Mills came on late alittle. But he also had Martinez in the read option so it’s hard to compare with a RB Iowa has who is given the ball and is in his own."

Ummm what? So apparently running back stats don't count if they run out of the read option? Here let me help you out.

Mills had more yards than Iowa's number 1 back (745 vs. 590 for Goodson). He had a higher YPC average (5.2) than either of Iowa's top 2 runningbacks (5.1, 4.6). He also had more touchdowns (10) than Iowa's top 3 running backs combined (9). This was running behind an objectively poor offensive line.
Just to top this off you made a dumb statement about Spielman despite the fact that he had more yards (898 to 676), Receiving TDs (5 to 4) and yards per catch (18.3 to 16.1) than Iowa's number one receiver.

Iowa has beat us 5 times in a row. There are a lot of things you can compare that we don't and haven't had for awhile (TE play, offensive line play, defensive line play, tackling, etc..) but comparing our skill position guys seems kind of stupid to me.

Wan’Dale Robinson is in a completely different league from anything they got. Hell Luke McCaffrey is as dangerous as anyone on that Iowa team.....agreed, only a dam Iowa fan would think they are comparable at skill position players......

said just like an Iowa fan...Kirk plays it safe. He plays not to get blown out. His offense is designed to protect his defense and milk the clock. If you watch those guys play they don’t hike the ball till the play clock is under 10 seconds left. And sure those other teams are there then 5-7 but this 5-7 team still went toe to toe with Iowa and they still had to win with a second FG. To me, that says the two teams aren’t far off from each other...;)
I wouldnt even say iowa under KF plays it safe, its a style, and adding super talent gains you less in that style, while its safer to have lessor athletes.
Swiowahawks said it very very very well.
I wish iowa could get the ball to any iowa player like we do for Wandale.
They cant step out of their system, theyre trapped in it.
They complained how not having both their TEs in at all times last year hurt them, but, they cant ,their system cant sustain it.
Its old and musty, a steady way of securing some strengths,iowas system,KF runs it well, ball control, very good D, safe non turn over offense.
There's a reason the nfl is becoming more like college ball, and the old musty ways are disappearing, much more so in college, where pro style qbs are lower in numbers than ever.

I wouldnt even say iowa under KF plays it safe, its a style, and adding super talent gains you less in that style, while its safer to have lessor athletes.
Swiowahawks said it very very very well.
I wish iowa could get the ball to any iowa player like we do for Wandale.
They cant step out of their system, theyre trapped in it.
They complained how not having both their TEs in at all times last year hurt them, but, they cant ,their system cant sustain it.
Its old and musty, a steady way of securing some strengths,iowas system,KF runs it well, ball control, very good D, safe non turn over offense.
There's a reason the nfl is becoming more like college ball, and the old musty ways are disappearing, much more so in college, where pro style qbs are lower in numbers than ever.

agreed there. Their offense is very boring and there’s a reason Iowa struggles to get any decent skill position players. No one wants to play in that offense that protects its defense.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Agreed. I simply don’t understand why Iowa keeps popping into the minds of Nebraska fans. Hell, I lived in eastern Iowa, and made great friends there. Under Ferentz, Iowa does what Iowa does. And I’m fine with that.

I also lived in Wisconsin for years. And made good friends there, too. Other than said friends, I’ll say Wisconsin fans are probably the worst I’ve ever encountered. And I’ve been to multiple games in Boulder, so...

Wisconsin should be the focus of both Nebraska and Iowa fanbases’ hatred.

Agreed. I simply don’t understand why Iowa keeps popping into the minds of Nebraska fans. Hell, I lived in eastern Iowa, and made great friends there. Under Ferentz, Iowa does what Iowa does. And I’m fine with that.

I also lived in Wisconsin for years. And made good friends there, too. Other than said friends, I’ll say Wisconsin fans are probably the worst I’ve ever encountered. And I’ve been to multiple games in Boulder, so...

that’s literally a two way door. Iowa fans constantly have Huskers on their minds as well. It’s gotten ridiculous and you’re right. Wisconsin should be both of our focuses. They are the ones owning both of us right now and have done so for several years and counting.

Ok, if true, take all iowas linemen out of play, but players in the nfi.
See who's playing at skill positions, and to remind you, weve had one guy the last three years.
We even have a TE in the pros, two if you count large reciever tweener types.
Ameer, Rex, a few other wrs.
My point is made here.
If you take out all the Defense and Offensive lineman (about a dozen). You are are still left with 16 non lineman in the NFL. Now you are correct about RBs and WRs, but it's not only linemen at Iowa. I'd argue that no other team in the country to point to the type of success at TE that Iowa has had in the NFL. Its apples and oranges.

Austin Blythe Los Angeles Rams Center
Ike Boettger Buffalo Bills Guard
Bryan Bulaga Green Bay Packers Offensive Tackle
Adrian Clayborn Atlanta Falcons Defensive End
Mike Daniels Detroit Lions Defensive Tackle
James Daniels Chicago Bears Center
Carl Davis Jacksonville Jaguars Defensive Tackle
James Ferentz New England Patriots Center
Jaleel Johnson Minnesota Vikings Defensive Tackle
Riley Reiff Minnesota Vikings Offensive Tackle
Brandon Scherff Washington Redskins Guard
Marshal Yanda Baltimore Ravens Guard

C.J. Beathard San Francisco 49ers Quarterback
Noah Fant Denver Broncos Tight End
Jake Gervase Los Angeles Rams Safety
Anthony Hitchens Kansas City Chiefs Linebacker
T.J. Hockenson Detroit Lions Tight End
Amani Hooker Tennessee Titans Safety
Micah Hyde Buffalo Bills Safety
Josh Jackson Green Bay Packers Cornerback
Josey Jewell Denver Broncos Linebacker
Desmond King II Los Angeles Chargers Cornerback
Christian Kirksey Cleveland Browns Linebacker
George Kittle San Francisco 49ers Tight End
Casey Kreiter Denver Broncos Long Snapper
Greg Mabin Cincinnati Bengals Cornerback
Anthony Nelson Tampa Bay Buccaneers Linebacker
Ben Niemann Kansas City Chiefs Linebacker

If you take out all the Defense and Offensive lineman (about a dozen). You are are still left with 16 non lineman in the NFL. Now you are correct about RBs and WRs, but it's not only linemen at Iowa.

Austin Blythe Los Angeles Rams Center
Ike Boettger Buffalo Bills Guard
Bryan Bulaga Green Bay Packers Offensive Tackle
Adrian Clayborn Atlanta Falcons Defensive End
Mike Daniels Detroit Lions Defensive Tackle
James Daniels Chicago Bears Center
Carl Davis Jacksonville Jaguars Defensive Tackle
James Ferentz New England Patriots Center
Jaleel Johnson Minnesota Vikings Defensive Tackle
Riley Reiff Minnesota Vikings Offensive Tackle
Brandon Scherff Washington Redskins Guard
Marshal Yanda Baltimore Ravens Guard

C.J. Beathard San Francisco 49ers Quarterback
Noah Fant Denver Broncos Tight End
Jake Gervase Los Angeles Rams Safety
Anthony Hitchens Kansas City Chiefs Linebacker
T.J. Hockenson Detroit Lions Tight End
Amani Hooker Tennessee Titans Safety
Micah Hyde Buffalo Bills Safety
Josh Jackson Green Bay Packers Cornerback
Josey Jewell Denver Broncos Linebacker
Desmond King II Los Angeles Chargers Cornerback
Christian Kirksey Cleveland Browns Linebacker
George Kittle San Francisco 49ers Tight End
Casey Kreiter Denver Broncos Long Snapper
Greg Mabin Cincinnati Bengals Cornerback
Anthony Nelson Tampa Bay Buccaneers Linebacker
Ben Niemann Kansas City Chiefs Linebacker

wtf is this? Do you really think us Husker fans want an Iowa roster in the NFL posted on our boards? Maybe you meant to post this on Iowa’s board? I could do the same with Husker players to. Literally makes no difference. Iowa only has 1 more player in the NFL then the Huskers do..

wtf is this? Do you really think us Husker fans want an Iowa roster in the NFL posted on our boards? Maybe you meant to post this on Iowa’s board? I could do the same with Husker players to. Literally makes no difference.
1.)Then stop having thread titles with Iowa in their name.
2.) Did you see the post I referenced asking to take "all iowas linemen out of play, but players in the nfl see who's playing at skill positions"

1.)Then stop having thread titles with Iowa in their name.
2.) Did you see the post I referenced asking to take "all iowas linemen out of play, but players in the nfl see who's playing at skill positions"

deal us Huskers will if you Iowa guys do the same on your board and you keep Huskers out of your titles...you down?

I disagree that Tyrone Tracy equals Wandale. Nobody equals Wandale. He is our Neo. The One. When things look their darkest we turn to Wandale to bring us back to the light. He’s an All American on the field and in our hearts. All hail Wandale.

Because trolling Nebraska fans do stupid shit like go over to the Iowa board and boast every time we get a new four star commit even after we lost to them 5 straight times. It’s downright embarrassing and make us all look dumb.

Wandale>>>>Tracy and it’s not really all that close.

Also, give me a break on Mills. And what you fail to realize is there might be a reason why Speilman is open. That’s part of being a WR.

I would agree Nebraska lacked WR last year. But from a pure talent standpoint if Mo Washington is involved Nebraska>Iowa.

It’s an actual good discussion if you look at more than just total yards. Mills had 27 more carries than Goodson. Mills didn’t have to wait until the end of the year to be a starter. First you said it was odd to compare a red shirt freshman and a true freshman. Then you compare a Junior to a true freshman. Which is it?

Tyrone Tracy had those 605 yards on 41 touches. Wan’Dale got his 793 on 128. I have zero idea why you would want to use those stats. Tracy is a RB playing WR. Like I said, I wish Iowa used him like Wan’Dale because they both have speed and wiggle. Watch NW and Wisconsin games specifically. Heck, rewatch the Iowa game.

As far as Spielman, what did I say that was dumb? He is the best WR on either team. Smith-Marsette is pretty close with what he can do on the ground and in the kick return game. Smith-Marsette isn’t even Iowa’s top WR. Brandon Smith, who only played in 7 games, is the best WR. Iowa’s top 2 WRs are better than Nebraska’s top 2. Same with the top 3 and so on. Top two is arguable but top 3 isn’t, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT