ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa has 22 commits already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think teams are acting like theres no later signing date, and instead of playing things out, where theres bound to be alot of seniors who put it all together,in that number,whatever itll be, those hs seniors will have limited schools,as many will be full by the end of their season, and college teams are aiming mainly at the early December date.
You have to ask also, because of the current shakeup having two signing dates, when AtM and other coaches speak on the length of a coaches season,where they get little breakes,if some havnt just mailed it in, instead of hanging tough til the end for better choices?
The transition is having impacts, but as far as we go, we are basically in repeat pattern from last year,sans the two early 2017 signers,Nebraska home boys our numbers are basically the same, with fewer numbers to fill.

I think teams are acting like theres no later signing date, and instead of playing things out, where theres bound to be alot of seniors who put it all together,in that number,whatever itll be, those hs seniors will have limited schools,as many will be full by the end of their season, and college teams are aiming mainly at the early December date.
You have to ask also, because of the current shakeup having two signing dates, when AtM and other coaches speak on the length of a coaches season,where they get little breakes,if some havnt just mailed it in, instead of hanging tough til the end for better choices?
The transition is having impacts, but as far as we go, we are basically in repeat pattern from last year,sans the two early 2017 signers,Nebraska home boys our numbers are basically the same, with fewer numbers to fill.
Giant streams of thought give me anxiety. I don't even read them. Paragraphs are our friends.

They have 22 commits, and I think I heard only a few of them have power 5 offers other than from Iowa.

Does that help explain things?

It’s difficult to keep track but seems like 17-18 have other P5 offers. That said most of those who do have other P5 offers are coming from teams like Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa State, KU, KSU, etc. I didn’t see a single commit of theirs with offers from any elite programs. Except for their one four star QB teams like Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, FSU, Miami, LSU, Tennessee, USC, Oregon, Texas, Texas A&M, Washington, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State are all absent from the list entirely. We offered 5 of their commits. But I think only one was on an OV and doesn’t look like any of them have a named recruiter. I don’t know what that means, but I have question how high they were on our board and if how many of those 5 actually had a commitable offer.

Some schools settle for classes made up of 3-star recruits. Some 3-star recruits settle for schools like Iowa. It's symbiotic.

I think a better question would be asking why Bama and tOSU have 22 commits and how Nebraska can bridge that gap. It's not conducive to national-level success for the Huskers to study the model of a program they hold a 29-17-3 advantage over and one that hasn't won an outright conference championship since 1985.

Well, isn't this special. Good for them. They must be nervous and taking anyone that will commit!!

Well, wasn't saying we are doing it wrong, just seemed like a big contrast. Just wondered why it exists.
Understood. As others have said, Frost is aiming higher. I'm sure they could have several more commits if they wanted them now.

Elijah Yelverton TE from Cedar Hill, TX has offers from Georgia, Florida, LSU, Oregon, Michigan, Auburn, Penn St, Arkansas, Arizona St, Nebraska, Kansas St, Kansas, Colorado, Boston College, Purdue, Texas Tech, Utah, TCU and UCF.

Reactions: loper
Just for kicks, I took at peek at their commits (my first doing it this recruiting season) and almost 60% to 65%% of their recruits have crap offer lists. There was a few that had low level power 5 offers but the highest percentage of them didn’t. So it’s no one wonder why they have so many committed already. And they want to tease us for having 8??? At least we have higher quality players. And like I said in another thread, by the time it’s all said and done...we will have a top 17-24 class in the country again, like normal.

Last edited:
Gotta love the “our commits with ISU, KState, Minnesota offers are better than yours” crowd. Coaches that are known for their eye for talent get commits from guys they have seen in person at multiple camps? Yep, sign me up.

My guess is Iowa will do just fine with the recruits they have. If past history is a reliable guide this recruiting class of theirs will bring them to another winning season, but with nothing special beyond that. That is their MO.

As for our recruiting, I really like the guys we have. I think they are difference makers. But we are low on numbers right now in an era of recruiting with an early signing period pushing teams to fill their classes sooner rather than later. I don’t know what our low numbers mean. I am totally clueless. Are we waiting on bigger fish? Have we been losing out on recruiting battles behind the scenes that we are not aware of? Are we waiting for the season to start so our bigger fish recruits can get our game day experience? All of the above?

Recruiting is the lifeblood of college football. So I do get nervous until I see our cupboard is full.

being 4-8 probably puts some recruits in the waite and see mode. Come out killing other teams and the list grows quickly. Come out flat again and the waite and see mode continues.

Reactions: jeans15
Elijah Yelverton TE from Cedar Hill, TX has offers from Georgia, Florida, LSU, Oregon, Michigan, Auburn, Penn St, Arkansas, Arizona St, Nebraska, Kansas St, Kansas, Colorado, Boston College, Purdue, Texas Tech, Utah, TCU and UCF.
Impressive.

Really. That’s impressive.

What about most of the rest of the class?

Why such a discrepancy?
Really pretty simple. Iowa goes mostly goes after low 3 star guys that many P5 schools don't offer. So they have no competition. This type of players will jump and any P5 offer. Pretty well any school could fill their class with how Iowa recruits.
Now to be fair Iowa is able to develop this lower level talent very well. However at some point if they want to be a next level team and get over that hump of 8 and 9 win season. They will have to recruit better talent.

It’s difficult to keep track but seems like 17-18 have other P5 offers. That said most of those who do have other P5 offers are coming from teams like Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa State, KU, KSU, etc. I didn’t see a single commit of theirs with offers from any elite programs. Except for their one four star QB teams like Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, FSU, Miami, LSU, Tennessee, USC, Oregon, Texas, Texas A&M, Washington, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State are all absent from the list entirely. We offered 5 of their commits. But I think only one was on an OV and doesn’t look like any of them have a named recruiter. I don’t know what that means, but I have question how high they were on our board and if how many of those 5 actually had a commitable offer.
Exactly, Iowa is the shinier turd.

Really pretty simple. Iowa goes mostly goes after low 3 star guys that many P5 schools don't offer. So they have no competition. This type of players will jump and any P5 offer. Pretty well any school could fill their class with how Iowa recruits.
Now to be fair Iowa is able to develop this lower level talent very well. However at some point if they want to be a next level team and get over that hump of 8 and 9 win season. They will have to recruit better talent.

They have to recruit just a little better, but the fact of the matter is Iowa is elite at developing talent. There is no other way to put it. We are getting better at it, but they are solid. If Iowa could get some good skill position talent they'd be probably a really solid team year in and year out.

Gotta love the “our commits with ISU, KState, Minnesota offers are better than yours” crowd. Coaches that are known for their eye for talent get commits from guys they have seen in person at multiple camps? Yep, sign me up.
While this has been proven true, what hasn't is the ability to maintain a program that developes so many players that early departures cannot be made up.
Also, some skill position players usually means early/immediate playing time when they're highly rated.

You might then also get into a seperation of never getting certain types of position players by not sending them to the league. Speed on its own gets attention,thus competition, and iowa doesnt compete for top rbs or wide outs, creating a hopeful trend of diamonds in the rough approach.
Not an easy or steady approach

Reactions: SWIowahawks
being 4-8 probably puts some recruits in the waite and see mode. Come out killing other teams and the list grows quickly. Come out flat again and the waite and see mode continues.

4-8 can't help. What I'd like to see is what Michigan classes looked like when they were down, and what they looked like in the first few Harbaugh years.

Again, it’s all perspective. We look at players like Lynum, Conn, Nixon and Smothers and believe Frost is getting in before they blow up. Then we look at Iowa and think the same level of recruit is just not a great player and their recruits only have offers from k state, Iowa st and other lower level P5 schools.

4-8 can't help. What I'd like to see is what Michigan classes looked like when they were down, and what they looked like in the first few Harbaugh years.

About the same. They had several top 10 classes over the past 15 years. Their two worst classes were when they took 14 and 16 players in a class.

Last edited:
I went back to 2010. They ranked 20, 21, 7, 5, 31 (only 16 commits), 49 (only 14 commits), 4, 4, 24, and 10.

To paraphrase the late, great Shawn Eichhorst: "In the final analysis, you have to evaluate where Iowa is."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT