ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa has 22 commits already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K state and Iowa both have won a conference title more recently then Nebraska

And??? So what, your going to bang your chest because Iowa backed into on conference title 1 year in 20 years and your going to act all high and mighty? Huskers have been to a number of conference titles over the years (one where we should have won but got screwed by the Big 12 refs) and even in the BIG 10. Wow, Iowa has been there a couple years more recent...so what. How many has Iowa been in over the past 20 plus years all together? And give me break on K State winning a conference title...only team that’s worth a dam in the Big 12 is OU because TexAss has been down. KSUcks got lucky there is no title game or they wouldn’t have won it.

Edited. Iowa has been to 2 conference titles or title games since 1985 (unless I’m missing ONE and if so, make it 3) and the Huskers have won a conference championship 8 times and been to a total of 12 conference championships in that same span between the Big 12 and the BIG 10. So forgive me I could careless if Iowa has been there 3 years more recent. Making it to a conference championship 2 times in 20 to almost 30 years isn’t doing very hot or anything to brag about.

Last edited:
And??? So what, your going to bang your chest because Iowa backed into on conference title 1 year in 20 years and your going to act all high and mighty? Huskers have been to a number of conference titles over the years (one where we should have won but got screwed by the Big 12 refs) and even in the BIG 10. Wow, Iowa has been there a couple years more recent...so what. How many has Iowa been in over the past 20 plus years all together? And give me break on K State winning a conference title...only team that’s worth a dam in the Big 12 is OU because TexAss has been down. KSUcks got lucky there is no title game or they wouldn’t have won it.

Edited. Iowa has been to 2 conference titles or title games since 1985 (unless I’m missing ONE and if so, make it 3) and the Huskers have won a conference championship 8 times and been to a total of 12 conference championships in that same span between the Big 12 and the BIG 10. So forgive me I could careless if Iowa has been there 3 years more recent. Making it to a conference championship 2 times in 20 to almost 30 years isn’t doing very hot or anything to brag about.

Sheez Salts, give it a rest! Why does everything have to be but, but, but..... The guy made a statement that K-State and Iowa have both won a conference title more recently than Nebraska. If true, acknowledge it or ignore it but changing the narrative doesn't make any points. What's wrong with the facts but it seems you have to spin everything.

The Big 12 did not screw the Huskers on the out of bounds call. Again, scream "foul" all day long to bolster your narrative. It was the correct call, like it or not.

Wow, took a few beers reading this post. Lets face it, Nebraska recruits more 4/5 stars than Iowa and have done well at the skilled positions. SF took a chance on Washington, very talented, and will see if it pays off. I hope the kid gets his act together and changes everything around. We should hope that for all kids to mature and grow up. That is part of college football. As for recruiting, all we can do is wait and see how the players develop and perform on the field.
Iowa's style of FB does not attract the skilled WR, but TE not bad. KF wants to win the game in the trenches and control the ball and clock. Works sometimes, other times not so well. Drives me nuts sometimes.
I would hope we are both smart enough to know the games are won on the field, not on message boards.
But I am old and just love the game.
Good luck this season and enjoy the ups and downs of recruiting. We will probably know more in 2 years how most of the recruits turn out. I just want the West to win the Big Ten Title and always hope it is Iowa. Cannot fault any fans hopes and dreams as well as the coaches and players.

So we are on page five of this thread. An Iowa thread. And every time there is an Iowa thread on here it goes on for pages and pages and days and days.

But keep denying that they are indeed a rival. Keep saying we don't give a crap about a mediocre program like Iowa. Keep saying that it is insulting to our great "blue blood" tradition to even dare to compare Iowa to Nebraska. Keep saying that Iowa is just a momentary speed bump on our return to glory.

Or acknowledge the obvious. They are a border State with which we share a very common "prairie State" culture, who is in our conference, in our division, with a respectable football program, who has beaten us four years in a row and that they are, therefore, a very natural "rival". Any why shouldn't they be? Are we so haughty that we can't admit that they are a natural rival and that having a rivalry with them is not a bad thing but a good thing?

Many on here say that one of the things they miss about being in the old Big 8/12 were some of the natural rivalries we had with OU and Mizzou and KSU and CU, and that we don't have that yet in the B1G.

Well.... here you go.

So we are on page five of this thread. An Iowa thread. And every time there is an Iowa thread on here it goes on for pages and pages and days and days.

But keep denying that they are indeed a rival. Keep saying we don't give a crap about a mediocre program like Iowa. Keep saying that it is insulting to our great "blue blood" tradition to even dare to compare Iowa to Nebraska. Keep saying that Iowa is just a momentary speed bump on our return to glory.

Or acknowledge the obvious. They are a border State with which we share a very common "prairie State" culture, who is in our conference, in our division, with a respectable football program, who has beaten us four years in a row and that they are, therefore, a very natural "rival". Any why shouldn't they be? Are we so haughty that we can't admit that they are a natural rival and that having a rivalry with them is not a bad thing but a good thing?

Many on here say that one of the things they miss about being in the old Big 8/12 were some of the natural rivalries we had with OU and Mizzou and KSU and CU, and that we don't have that yet in the B1G.

Well.... here you go.

Agree. It seems like some on here don't want to admit it. Iowa is who they are and we are not who we used to be. Get over it. We are starting all over again.

I get tired if the same old arguments, Iowa hasn't won anything, we have, Iowa doesn't recruit top players like we do, we are a blue bloods, they are not, Riley was the reason, injured QB, Frost's first year so it doesn't count, but one is we "almost" beat them last year. Well, we didn't and haven't for several years, time to quit the talk about the past and all the "buts" and "what ifs" and just win some games for crying out loud. I have always found the best way to shut people up is to produce and the Huskers have not. Until we change that, they have all of the bragging rights. All

Last edited:
Yep. Maybe someday we will return to our glory years and OSU or Michigan will be our main rivals. But we aren't in our glory years. And right now I think Iowa is a rival. So is Wisconsin. So is Northwestern.

And guess what ... even though through most of Osborne's career OU was our main rival, every few years another team would emerge who would give us fits and did, indeed become another rivalry game. And that is a good thing. It made the old Big 8 interesting and kept it from just being about OU and NU. Missouri, Iowa State, and CU all took their turns at being good teams who occasionally beat us.

We have to stop looking at the entirety of our tradition through the lens of 93-97 and acting as if we were always in "glory mode". Because we weren't. In the 70's Osborne got his ass handed to him by Switzer almost every year and also got beat by Mizzou and Iowa State. We got better in the 80's but still lost more games to OU than we won. We also got beat by CU a couple of times. And oh yeah... the Florida schools kicked our asses all over the place and made us look like plodding morons.

We have a GREAT tradition. I am proud of it. But let's cut the shit.

I really don't understand how you guys can justify talking trash about the players Iowa recruits and puts on the field...99% of the guys on our roster have "bought in" to what the coaches ask of them. You've got skill, you've got stars, but i also think you may be taking home the 1st place trophy for most off-season run-ins with the law: Major infractions? At least 1. Minor infractions? Most of them. Who gives a sh*t...it's a lack of discipline and smarts and not something to be proud of. Keep trashing Iowa's guys you dipsh*ts. Makes zero sense.
A Cockeye living in Arkansas? I bet your family tree doesn't have many branches.

I really don't understand how you guys can justify talking trash about the players Iowa recruits and puts on the field...99% of the guys on our roster have "bought in" to what the coaches ask of them. You've got skill, you've got stars, but i also think you may be taking home the 1st place trophy for most off-season run-ins with the law: Major infractions? At least 1. Minor infractions? Most of them. Who gives a sh*t...it's a lack of discipline and smarts and not something to be proud of. Keep trashing Iowa's guys you dipsh*ts. Makes zero sense.

Speaking of off season problems, will Tristan Wirfs be serving any sort of a suspension?

Well.... here you go.
You are correct, imo Iowa doesn’t deserve one page let alone five!!!!

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Speaking of off season problems, will Tristan Wirfs be serving any sort of a suspension?
No. It was handle with in the program.. I thought he would miss a half or quarter.. it was a very stupid thing he did, but something most colleges kids, I don’t even know if he was drinking just in the bar to late

Rome wasn't built in a day!!!

Who cares if we don't have a full class by the summer. It's better to not constantly take "reaches" in an attempt to have a lot of quick commits. I really hope to avoid the sky is falling, recruiting post next summer.

Reactions: headcard
So we laugh at the Iowa board for having a 27 page thread about Husker recruiting to turn around and now have a thread about Iowa recruiting?

Not only that but bashing the low ratings most of their recruits have. Its been that way since forever. So with a bunch of 2 and 3 stars and occasional 4 or 5 star, iowa has completely owned us for 5 straight years. Apparently Ferentz gets his teams up to play Nebraska. Where Frosty thinks you should get more excited to play certain games. You should have the same level of excitement to play IUPUI as you do OSU in the B1G CCG. Sorry but thats just not realistic

Not only that but bashing the low ratings most of their recruits have. Its been that way since forever. So with a bunch of 2 and 3 stars and occasional 4 or 5 star, iowa has completely owned us for 5 straight years. Apparently Ferentz gets his teams up to play Nebraska. Where Frosty thinks you should get more excited to play certain games. You should have the same level of excitement to play IUPUI as you do OSU in the B1G CCG. Sorry but thats just not realistic
You can't compare what Kirk Ferentz has done after bringing 20 years of continuity. Apples to apples would be comparing Ferentz to Frost in their first two seasons.

Kirk Ferentz first two seasons at Iowa:
1999: 1-10, lost to Nebraska 42-7
2000: 3-9, lost to Nebraska 42-13

Scott Frost first two seasons at Nebraska:
2018: 4-8, lost to Iowa 31-28
2019: 5-7, lost to Iowa 27-24

I’d argue the latter. Nebraska has gotten up for the Iowa games more than Iowa has. They have gotten down big in both games but have come back to tie things up. They didn’t roll over like most other games.

Btw, I’ll still take Iowa’s class over Nebraska’s.

Necro threads, cool! I guess we are full swing into winning the recruiting war again? WTF guys? Worry about our own program instead of bagging on others. Step 1 is bringing in a nice recruiting class. We are clearly doing that. HCSF and company are getting it done on the recruiting trail considering where we were a few short weeks ago.

Step 2 is developing that talent and getting it on the field to be productive. HCSF and staff have proven a lot less adapt at that. Their first class was an unmitigated disaster, losing half the class to attrition. Their 2nd class remains to be seen as will this third class.

One thing Iowa does much better than DONU is develop the players they do have. Can we match that? I think so, but the jury is still out given the 1st class (and I know, we all like to wave our magic wand and give him a pass on that class).

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I’d argue the latter. Nebraska has gotten up for the Iowa games more than Iowa has. They have gotten down big in both games but have come back to tie things up. They didn’t roll over like most other games.

Nebraska’s class is superior in just about every metric. Thanks for the laugh

Reactions: 8675309husker
Nebraska’s class is superior in just about every metric. Thanks for the laugh
Haven’t they been for the last decade? By a lot. I’ll stick with my guns and say I love the fact that Iowa got a ton of guys they wanted early on. Continuity goes a long ways.

Necro threads, cool! I guess we are full swing into winning the recruiting war again? WTF guys? Worry about our own program instead of bagging on others. Step 1 is bringing in a nice recruiting class. We are clearly doing that. HCSF and company are getting it done on the recruiting trail considering where we were a few short weeks ago.

Step 2 is developing that talent and getting it on the field to be productive. HCSF and staff have proven a lot less adapt at that. Their first class was an unmitigated disaster, losing half the class to attrition. Their 2nd class remains to be seen as will this third class.

One thing Iowa does much better than DONU is develop the players they do have. Can we match that? I think so, but the jury is still out given the 1st class (and I know, we all like to wave our magic wand and give him a pass on that class).
Not the point. I didn't bring this thread back because of Iowa's, average recruiting. I wanted to point out how absurd it is for our fans to have a "sky is falling" outlook to recruiting due to us not having a full class by mid summer.

With that being said I'm sure come next summer, there will be more posts about how the sky is falling because we don't have a full class early on.

Reactions: timnsun
"completely owned"

Haven’t they been for the last decade? By a lot. I’ll stick with my guns and say I love the fact that Iowa got a ton of guys they wanted early on. Continuity goes a long ways.
I agree with you. Recruits are the ingredients but you may end up with a mess if you keep changing chef's. Lower recruits with coaching continuity beats stronger recruits with constant coaching and player turnover.

Iowa has done it right by staying patient with Ferentz. Nebraska is working to be as efficient. If recruiting at this level continues and we have continuity with the staff, the result should be a better product on the field.

SWIowahawks would you agree?

That is why so many posters here make fun of DONU winning the recruiting war year after year then commiserate when half the class leaves. The advantage Iowa and Wisconsin have are staff stability and a system everyone understands. Hence the long contract and extension for HCSF. Moos, Frost, and the vast majority of Husker Nation are banking on that level of stability.

Many fans totally underestimate the serious damage flipping staff and coaches does to a program.

Reactions: bigredhunter

I wouldn't. I'd take Iowa's development, but not your class.

Reactions: headcard

That doesn’t mean Nebraska’s classes weren’t better. Nebraska has had issues with development no doubt about it. Time will tell if this staff can develop said recruits. But, from a strictly talent standpoint it’s pretty clear Nebraska’s class>Iowa’s class.

Ferentz does a good job developing his recruits. But, perhaps he would have had more than one division title in those ten years had he landed more 4 star recruits.

LaughingLaughingLaughing Well, you're generally a reasonable fan, but did someone put something in your coffee this morning?? Bump your head on the cabinet? Do a Dick Van Dyke over the ottoman? You really need to schedule an appt. with your doc.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Iowas recruiting board is dead. Women dont like minute men, looks like iowa fired off way too early.
Iowa has a recruiting process like every other school. Iowa tends to mainly go after low level /middle of the road 3 star guys who don't have a ton, if any p5 interest. They don't waste time offering top level guys they have zero chance to get. The guys who do have other p5 interest are usually local or a close proximity and were going to sign with Iowa no matter what.
I give them props, they will never be able to pull in more than 2 or 3 4 star kids. They have to be able to get the kids they go after. Then they are able to develop them at a level that is one of the best in the country. They have a recruiting strategy that works for them, and they do well all things considered. There is reason they are only able to get 7-9 wins most years. Teams have to be able to pull in top talent to get to that next level, they never will

I'm no lover of the Hawks, but give them credit, right or wrong they have developed a system that keeps them in the mix and have a real good season every few years. Before we can rise to division championships or higher, we first need to improve to get to IA's program is at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT