ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa has 22 commits already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you take out all the Defense and Offensive lineman (about a dozen). You are are still left with 16 non lineman in the NFL. Now you are correct about RBs and WRs, but it's not only linemen at Iowa. I'd argue that no other team in the country to point to the type of success at TE that Iowa has had in the NFL. Its apples and oranges.

Austin Blythe Los Angeles Rams Center
Ike Boettger Buffalo Bills Guard
Bryan Bulaga Green Bay Packers Offensive Tackle
Adrian Clayborn Atlanta Falcons Defensive End
Mike Daniels Detroit Lions Defensive Tackle
James Daniels Chicago Bears Center
Carl Davis Jacksonville Jaguars Defensive Tackle
James Ferentz New England Patriots Center
Jaleel Johnson Minnesota Vikings Defensive Tackle
Riley Reiff Minnesota Vikings Offensive Tackle
Brandon Scherff Washington Redskins Guard
Marshal Yanda Baltimore Ravens Guard

C.J. Beathard San Francisco 49ers Quarterback
Noah Fant Denver Broncos Tight End
Jake Gervase Los Angeles Rams Safety
Anthony Hitchens Kansas City Chiefs Linebacker
T.J. Hockenson Detroit Lions Tight End
Amani Hooker Tennessee Titans Safety
Micah Hyde Buffalo Bills Safety
Josh Jackson Green Bay Packers Cornerback
Josey Jewell Denver Broncos Linebacker
Desmond King II Los Angeles Chargers Cornerback
Christian Kirksey Cleveland Browns Linebacker
George Kittle San Francisco 49ers Tight End
Casey Kreiter Denver Broncos Long Snapper
Greg Mabin Cincinnati Bengals Cornerback
Anthony Nelson Tampa Bay Buccaneers Linebacker
Ben Niemann Kansas City Chiefs Linebacker

I’ll match it with our Huskers. Iowa has the edge by one single person...GBR

Ameer Abdullah Minnesota Vikings Running Back
Freedom Akinmoladun Cincinnati Bengals Defensive End
Prince Amukamara Chicago Bears Cornerback
Rex Burkhead New England Patriots Running Back
Cethan Carter Cincinnati Bengals Tight End
Maliek Collins Dallas Cowboys Defensive Tackle
Will Compton Oakland Raiders Linebacker
Lavonte David Tampa Bay Buccaneers Linebacker
Quincy Enunwa New York Jets Wide Receiver
Jerald Foster Washington Redskins Guard
Nick Gates New York Giants Guard
Nathan Gerry Philadelphia Eagles Linebacker
Luke Gifford Dallas Cowboys Linebacker
Randy Gregory Dallas Cowboys Defensive End
Richie Incognito Oakland Raiders Guard
Andy Janovich Denver Broncos Fullback
Chris Jones Arizona Cardinals Cornerback
Joshua Kalu Tennessee Titans Cornerback
Sam Koch Baltimore Ravens Punter
Alex Lewis New York Jets Guard
Spencer Long Buffalo Bills Center
Stanley Morgan Cincinnati Bengals Wide Receiver
Devine Ozigbo Jacksonville Jaguars Running Back
Brent Qvale New York Jets Offensive Tackle
Jeremiah Sirles Buffalo Bills Guard
Ndamukong Suh Tampa Bay Buccaneers Defensive Tackle
Dedrick Young II Cleveland Browns

Nebraska's WR's on the outside were terrible, that isn't even really debatable. That's why it was imperative to land Betts and Manning. If they are both on campus (grades), then our WR core, and entire offense, will look much different.

Nebraska's WR's on the outside were terrible, that isn't even really debatable. That's why it was imperative to land Betts and Manning. If they are both on campus (grades), then our WR core, and entire offense, will look much different.

Betts will make it (unless he falls apart before schools over). They did say Manning had work to do to make sure he’s good to go but I fell good about him making it. I can’t see Texas AM, TCU and teams like that offering him if he wasn’t doing good or looking good.

Reactions: headcard
I remember back in July when the world was crumbling. Should we still be concerned, or should we finally trust the process?

Are you saying trust the recruiting process, or the coaching process? I would think we could trust the recruiting process at this point, but not the coaching process. Still to be determined.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
1.)Then stop having thread titles with Iowa in their name.
2.) Did you see the post I referenced asking to take "all iowas linemen out of play, but players in the nfl see who's playing at skill positions"
Other than three dbs and three safeties, thats it.
Backers are tweeners,same for TEs.
As for wrs,rbs,dbs and afeties, those are the skilled positions.

Nebraska has 4 rbs, four wrs, various dbs and safeties.
We have been down,I know you eithe dont like hearing ghis, or refuse to admit it, but our numbers are low, most of those guys are from Bo, where we beat you regularly, and under Bo, we were still sliding backwards.

But, point is, take off those linemen,iowa doesnt have much.
Scoreboard will show well before numbers for Nebraska linemen increase, and I doubt you'll be interested to compare then, but you have every right to be proud of your team,and we have every right to be dissatisfied with ours, even if we are closing our two teams gap.

Reactions: huskerssalts
It’s an actual good discussion if you look at more than just total yards. Mills had 27 more carries than Goodson. Mills didn’t have to wait until the end of the year to be a starter. First you said it was odd to compare a red shirt freshman and a true freshman. Then you compare a Junior to a true freshman. Which is it?

Tyrone Tracy had those 605 yards on 41 touches. Wan’Dale got his 793 on 128. I have zero idea why you would want to use those stats. Tracy is a RB playing WR. Like I said, I wish Iowa used him like Wan’Dale because they both have speed and wiggle. Watch NW and Wisconsin games specifically. Heck, rewatch the Iowa game.

As far as Spielman, what did I say that was dumb? He is the best WR on either team. Smith-Marsette is pretty close with what he can do on the ground and in the kick return game. Smith-Marsette isn’t even Iowa’s top WR. Brandon Smith, who only played in 7 games, is the best WR. Iowa’s top 2 WRs are better than Nebraska’s top 2. Same with the top 3 and so on. Top two is arguable but top 3 isn’t, IMO.
I’ll try and not make this personal like everyone else in this thread seems to want to do. I think your comparison of touches between Wandale and Tracy is dishonest because it gives the impression that Tracy only earned 200 less yard on a third of the touches making him the better player when over 2 thirds of Wandales touches came from rushing and Tracy only rushed the ball 5 times. Their stats are hard to compare IMO because they both served different roles on each team. Wandale forced into a RB role because of depth issues and Tracy being more of a WR. At the end of the day I wouldn’t trade Wandale for Tracy and I imagine you wouldn’t trade Tracy for Wandale, so I think this debate is a bit pointless in the end.

I’ll try and not make this personal like everyone else in this thread seems to want to do. I think your comparison of touches between Wandale and Tracy is dishonest because it gives the impression that Tracy only earned 200 less yard on a third of the touches making him the better player when over 2 thirds of Wandales touches came from rushing and Tracy only rushed the ball 5 times. Their stats are hard to compare IMO because they both served different roles on each team. Wandale forced into a RB role because of depth issues and Tracy being more of a WR. At the end of the day I wouldn’t trade Wandale for Tracy and I imagine you wouldn’t trade Tracy for Wandale, so I think this debate is a bit pointless in the end.

Sorry I got to say something here...only a fool or moron wouldn’t take Wandale Robinson on their team. Him and Rondale Moore are in a league of their own in the BIG 10.

Reactions: tyrusraymondcobb
Ok, if true, take all iowas linemen out of play, but players in the nfi.
See who's playing at skill positions, and to remind you, weve had one guy the last three years.
We even have a TE in the pros, two if you count large reciever tweener types.
Ameer, Rex, a few other wrs.
My point is made here.
I’m talking more recent classes. The recent list of 4 star WRs that aren’t with the team or haven’t produced is pretty crazy actually.

I’m talking more recent classes. The recent list of 4 star WRs that aren’t with the team or haven’t produced is pretty crazy actually.

You mean the ones Riley recruited and most all left the program or transferred out? It’s not crazy at all, that’s what happens with you have coaching changes. Hell all you have to do it look around the college football world and it’s very common actually.

keshawn Johnson Jr...left team
Tyjon Lindsey....transferred out
Jaevon McQuitty....hasn’t panned out
Lavan Alston...quit the team
Stan Morgan Jr...NFL and broke records
JD Speilman...still here and on his way to breaking records...

Last edited:
Other than three dbs and three safeties, thats it.
Backers are tweeners,same for TEs.
As for wrs,rbs,dbs and afeties, those are the skilled positions.

Nebraska has 4 rbs, four wrs, various dbs and safeties.
We have been down,I know you eithe dont like hearing ghis, or refuse to admit it, but our numbers are low, most of those guys are from Bo, where we beat you regularly, and under Bo, we were still sliding backwards.

But, point is, take off those linemen,iowa doesnt have much.
Scoreboard will show well before numbers for Nebraska linemen increase, and I doubt you'll be interested to compare then, but you have every right to be proud of your team,and we have every right to be dissatisfied with ours, even if we are closing our two teams gap.
This is a weird argument to make. Sure take away Iowa's best players, and the position they are known for, they don't have much. When I watch Nebraska the past decade its the lack of good line play that stands out to me. WR and RBs don't win games by themselves. Any good coach will agree you have to build a program from the linemen out. I'd rather have the linemen pedigree than a WR pedigree.

Completely agree. I think Tracy would put up Wan’Dale numbers in Nebraska’s offense. He is a playmaker that finally got his chance once Smith went down. I wasn’t the one that wanted to use total yards from scrimmage as dishonest as that is. I was merely pointing out how using total scrimmage yards was actually detrimental to the posters argument.

@huskerssalts - where did anyone say they wouldn’t take Wan’Dale on their team? And no, he isn’t in Moore’s level yet.

Reactions: Wannabee8
Not complicated. Riley is why they have won 4 of those years. He gone. Blaming Frost for last years loss is like having a tornado destroy 95% of your house and blaming the contractor for destroying the other 5% in an attempt to rebuild.
My goodness. If we aren’t going to blame Frost for these last 2 losses the we better blame Pelini for Riley’s first 2 losses.

So let me update the standings:
Pelini 3-3
Riley 0-3
Frost 0-0

Does next year’s game count for Frost or are we still giving it to Riley??

Completely agree. I think Tracy would put up Wan’Dale numbers in Nebraska’s offense. He is a playmaker that finally got his chance once Smith went down. I wasn’t the one that wanted to use total yards from scrimmage as dishonest as that is. I was merely pointing out how using total scrimmage yards was actually detrimental to the posters argument.

@huskerssalts - where did anyone say they wouldn’t take Wan’Dale on their team? And no, he isn’t in Moore’s level yet.

it was another guys post that I answered to. I think that’s your guilty conscience getting the best of you my man.

You mean the ones Riley recruited and most all left the program or transferred out? The only one that remains is J McQuitty. It’s not crazy, the guys didn’t make at all or transferred out. McQuitty battle injuries and hasn’t ever recovered the same.

keshawn Johnson Jr...left team
Tyjon Lindsey....transferred out
Jaevon McQuitty....hasn’t panned out
Lavan Alston...quit the team
Stan Morgan Jr...NFL and broke records
JD Speilman...still here and on his way to breaking records...
giphy.gif

This is a weird argument to make. Sure take away Iowa's best players, and the position they are known for, they don't have much. When I watch Nebraska the past decade its the lack of good line play that stands out to me. WR and RBs don't win games by themselves. Any good coach will agree you have to build a program from the linemen out. I'd rather have the linemen pedigree than a WR pedigree.
So, making my point,best players. Try making best players, linemen, by changing tackling, having four diffent position coaches,attrition through coaching changes, lost recruiting from coaching changes, changing your defense and offensive schemes several times, and then coach up who's left in a brand new system .

Like I told swiowa, talk to me post KF.

Another clue, we arent recruiting qbs and making them wrs who drop passes,or become fullbacks in the nfl,or D linemen in college, that coach is gone.
Now,we have a coach who's coached several top nfl recievers in college, and dumped several of mike rileys recruits on the way in.

So, making my point,best players. Try making best players, linemen, by changing tackling, having four diffent position coaches,attrition through coaching changes, lost recruiting from coaching changes, changing your defense and offensive schemes several times, and then coach up who's left in a brand new system .

Like I told swiowa, talk to me post KF.
Maybe hire a good coach and don't fire them after 3 years, instead of making excuses. This is Nebraska's fault for firing Pelini, or Solich if you want to go back that far. Iowa appreciates the value in consistency for the reasons you just listed. Not many in the country still do. It's not an accident that Iowa has only had 2 head coaches in the past 40 years.

Last edited:
Maybe hire a good coach and don't fire them after 3 years, instead of making excuses. This is Nebraska's fault for firing Pelini, or Solich if you want to go back that far.

that’s why we hired Scott Frost. That problem is fixed no. And no offense but Kirk Ferentz would have been fired at any other big time college football program by now. Only at Iowa (King of average) does a Head Coach that’s never accomplished a dam thing in two decades is still coaching and getting raises. So I wouldn’t be bragging about that if I was in your shoes. You guys are stuck with being below average and average. It’s like you guys don’t want titles or conference championships. Just ok with 7-5 to 8-4 records. Pretty sad if you ask me.

you want to know what I think is funny, you don’t see Wisconsin Badger fans living on our boards or Iowa boards, you don’t see Purdue fans doing it, or OSU Buckeye fans doing it...just Iowa fans. You guys should take a lesson from those fan bases and get over the obsession with our Huskers. Hell the Badgers fans could troll us and your Iowa fans hard if they wanted to and wanted to act like Iowa fans...but they don’t. They act like they been there before. Weird isn’t???

Last edited:
Reactions: RedMyMind
Maybe hire a good coach and don't fire them after 3 years, instead of making excuses. This is Nebraska's fault for firing Pelini, or Solich if you want to go back that far.
They shouldn’t have fired Solich. I don’t think firing Pelini was a mistake. Pelini benefitted from easy schedules to inflate his win totals. He had a losing record against power 5 schools with winning records and he was 5-15 against top 25 teams. He regularly got embarrassed in games they were underdogs in (insert Melvin Gordon). He peaked at solid. Not good enough. On top of that he was a prick. The bigger mistake was hiring Riley.

They shouldn’t have fired Solich. I don’t think firing Pelini was a mistake. Pelini benefitted from easy schedules to inflate his win totals. He had a losing record against power 5 schools with winning records and he was 5-15 against top 25 teams. He regularly got embarrassed in games they were underdogs in (insert Melvin Gordon). He peaked at solid. Not good enough. On top of that he was a prick. The bigger mistake was hiring Riley.

plus side to Bo Pelini was he OWNED Kirk Ferentz and Iowa. I’ll give him that. An average coach at best owned Iowa...weird how that happens.

that’s why we hired Scott Frost. That problem is fixed no. And no offense but Kirk Ferentz would have been fired at any other big time college football program by now. Only at Iowa (King of average) does a Head Coach that’s never accomplished a dam thing in two decades is still coaching and getting raises. So I wouldn’t be bragging about that if I was in your shoes. You guys are stuck with being below average and average. It’s like you guys don’t want titles or conference championships. Just ok with 7-5 to 8-4 records. Pretty sad if you ask me.

you want to know what I think is funny, you don’t see Wisconsin Badger fans living on our boards or Iowa boards, you don’t see Purdue fans doing it, or OSU Buckeye fans doing it...just Iowa fans. You guys should take a lesson from those fan bases and get over the obsession with our Huskers. Hell the Badgers fans could troll us and your Iowa fans hard if they wanted to and wanted to act like Iowa fans...but they don’t. They act like they been there before. Weird isn’t???
They were one play away from being in the college football playoffs a few years ago. And they were pretty good with Ricky Stanzi a few years before that too. If you give a little credit where credit is due, you could make your arguments look more credible.

1x Walter Camp Coach of the Year (2002)
3x Big Ten Coach of the Year (2002, 2004, 2009)
1x Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year (2015)

But sure hasn't accomplished anything. Maybe the problem with Nebraska is it's fanbase wouldn't know a good coach even if he beat them 5 years in a row.

They were one play away from being in the college football playoffs a few years ago. And they were pretty good with Ricky Stanzi a few years before that too. If you give a little credit where credit is due, you could make your arguments look more credible.

They still didn’t accomplish anything. They don’t give us any credit for getting close or anything that. And that one year they did good due to a cup cake schedule...then got absolutely BLASTED by Stanford. C McCaffrey showed just how good Iowa was that year...they weren’t, lol. Matter of fact, I think C McCaffrey Just scored again...

1x Walter Camp Coach of the Year (2002)
3x Big Ten Coach of the Year (2002, 2004, 2009)
1x Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year (2015)

But sure hasn't accomplished anything. Maybe the problem with Nebraska is it's fanbase wouldn't know a good coach even if he beat them 5 years in a row.

So back when our Huskers where in a national title last Kirk Ferentz had a solid run. Big whop. Since then he’s hasn’t done a thing and teams like USC, Tennessee, FSU, UCLA or any team that has title hopes would have fired him by now. Forgive me if I don’t give much credit for the 2015 run...you guys didn’t okay anyone that year and when you did, Stanford embarrassed you guys.

giphy.gif

You do realize the small percentage of teams that actually win conference championships and division titles right? Let’s ask how those “big time college football programs” how they are doing chasing national titles. Michigan, Texas, Florida State, Miami, USC. Heck, ask Nebraska how awesome it is to chase national titles. You can’t put success on national titles and conference championships. Otherwise the entire Big Ten are failures, even Wisconsin. Penn State, Michigan...failures.

I realize that’s hard for Husker fans to understand because most of you grew up winning everything. But in reality, it doesn’t happen very often.

Btw, Kirk was given contract extensions after top 10 seasons. That doesn’t scream settling to me. On the other hand, Frost has an extension after two losing seasons. Seems backwards doesn’t it?

Reactions: Bonerfarts
giphy.gif

You do realize the small percentage of teams that actually win conference championships and division titles right? Let’s ask how those “big time college football programs” how they are doing chasing national titles. Michigan, Texas, Florida State, Miami, USC. Heck, ask Nebraska how awesome it is to chase national titles. You can’t put success on national titles and conference championships. Otherwise the entire Big Ten are failures, even Wisconsin. Penn State, Michigan...failures.

I realize that’s hard for Husker fans to understand because most of you grew up winning everything. But in reality, it doesn’t happen very often.

Btw, Kirk was given contract extensions after top 10 seasons. That doesn’t scream settling to me. On the other hand, Frost has an extension after two losing seasons. Seems backwards doesn’t it?

Only moron Iowa fans think Kirk Ferentz would last at a different program. All those 7-5s and 8-4s would have gotten him fired at most places that have title dreams and want to win conference championships here and there. You guys should have fired him a few years back when he went 7-6 and then followed it up with a 4-8...

Maybe hire a good coach and don't fire them after 3 years, instead of making excuses. This is Nebraska's fault for firing Pelini, or Solich if you want to go back that far. Iowa appreciates the value in consistency for the reasons you just listed. Not many in the country still do. It's not an accident that Iowa has only had 2 head coaches in the past 40 years.
Like I said,after KF.
We had two after 35, they won fivr nattys, its not like we dont know. But,until your next coach, you wont either.

They still didn’t accomplish anything. They don’t give us any credit for getting close or anything that. And that one year they did good due to a cup cake schedule...then got absolutely BLASTED by Stanford. C McCaffrey showed just how good Iowa was that year...they weren’t, lol. Matter of fact, I think C McCaffrey Just scored again...
They won the orange bowl in 2009. That’s got to count for something right? Cmon how did I become the Iowa defender around here? Just be realistic people.

So back when our Huskers where in a national title last Kirk Ferentz had a solid run. Big whop. Since then he’s hasn’t done a thing and teams like USC, Tennessee, FSU, UCLA or any team that has title hopes would have fired him by now.
You keep delivering and delivering. How is that quest for a national title going for those teams? Better or worse than where Iowa is at right now? Is Nebraska better or worse than where Iowa is at right now? Please answer those questions and don’t stray too far.

giphy.gif

Heres the problem and you actually described and defined it.
Theres a world of difference between winning a conference and winning a natty.
Do you think we only won a conference when we won nattys?
Weve won our share of both, and many of us can define what it takes for both.

What you do to yourself is discredit here, by assuming we dont know.

It isnt crazy at all.
Talk to me post KF
Post Hayden Fry didn’t turn out too bad did it? What makes you think Iowa will suck after Kirk? It’s obvious he is going to be leaving Iowa in a better place than when he got it. Better than what Pelini and Riley left Nebraska.

giphy.gif

Ouch man. What happened?

cec.gif

You keep delivering and delivering. How is that quest for a national title going for those teams? Better or worse than where Iowa is at right now? Is Nebraska better or worse than where Iowa is at right now? Please answer those questions and don’t stray too far.

They keep looking and trying to find the right coaches. I don’t blame them. I suppose they could settle for 7-5 and 8-4 records like you guys do but I do not blame a team for wanting more...

Post Hayden Fry didn’t turn out too bad did it? What makes you think Iowa will suck after Kirk? It’s obvious he is going to be leaving Iowa in a better place than when he got it. Better than what Pelini and Riley left Nebraska.
You found your second coach, as did we.
It doesnt always just happen

They won the orange bowl in 2009. That’s got to count for something right? Cmon how did I become the Iowa defender around here? Just be realistic people.
That season haunts Iowa fans and Kirk himself. Stanzi breaking his ankle while up 10-0 and at 9-0 might be the low point in Kirk’s tenure. Kirk himself says he regrets not going for the win in the Horseshoe with a redshirt freshman QB. If Stanzi doesn’t get hurt, I think Iowa is 12-0 and plays for the national title. If the computers liked them more than Alabama or Texas. Ugh....thanks.

Reactions: Bonerfarts

Yep, Kirk Ferentz went 1-10 and then 3-9 his first two years. Had few runs in the early 2000s and then capped out and hasn’t done a thing in a Decade. So Iowa fans and a few Husker fans that assume Frost is bad coach for going 4-8 and 5-7 in his first two years are jumping the gun a bit right? Because we seen what Ferentz did during year 3-5... after going 4-18 his first 2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT