ADVERTISEMENT

internet hotspot...

Thanks!

From reading that doc it appears to me that LPS is offering internet access to that small segment of their students who do not have internet access at home, and that internet hot spot they offer would be for the purpose of providing school-related internet access for education-related purposes. If you have internet access at home that your children can use, feel free to ignore that document.

The means of LPS giving your home a hot spot appears to be a device that they would give you to put in your home that provides internet access. So they would give you a gizmo that you put in your home. That gizmo provides access to the internet via a Chromebook that LPS apparently provides to your children.

Some can infer that what LPS is doing is trying to aid in the educational development of their students to that very small subset of families who do not have internet access. I won't guess what their motive is, but you DO NOT have to do what the document offers as long as you can provide your children internet access FOR THE PURPOSE OF EDUCATIONAL CRITERIA (online study guides, prep tests, etc) that LPS wants to give them.

Personally, I think it's a bit nanny-state on the part of LPS to assume that a family would not have internet access but whatever.

Last edited:
Start your thread with OT, you do realize most posters are annoyed by your off the wall threads
Lol you forgot "get off my lawn"

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha
Reactions: Jaemekon
Thanks!

From reading that doc it appears to me that LPS is offering internet access to that small segment of their students who do not have internet access at home, and that internet hot spot they offer would be for the purpose of providing school-related internet access for education-related purposes. If you have internet access at home that your children can use, feel free to ignore that document.

The means of LPS giving your home a hot spot appears to be a device that they would give you to put in your home that provides internet access. So they would give you a gizmo that you put in your home. That gizmo provides access to the internet via a Chromebook that LPS apparently provides to your children.

Some can infer that what LPS is doing is trying to aid in the educational development of their students to that very small subset of families who do not have internet access. I won't guess what their motive is, but you DO NOT have to do what the document offers as long as you can provide your children internet access FOR THE PURPOSE OF EDUCATIONAL CRITERIA (online study guides, prep tests, etc) that LPS wants to give them.

Personally, I think it's a bit nanny-state on the part of LPS to assume that a family would not have internet access but whatever.
Okay, so it is what I posted about.

My school did that too. We had a few students that did not have internet access at home.

Reactions: Laner2
Thanks!

I have an LPS high schooler and middle schooler. I've NEVER received something like that. I'm guessing Jae's kids have maybe indicated they don't have Wi-Fi or something maybe?
Maybe he's hardwired to his computer only or something?

Reactions: Hawkdiver
Thanks!

Everything you said was on point up til the last line.

What do you mean by "assume?" It is a given fact that every district has families that do not have access to internet at home. I don't see how a school district trying to provide those children with the same benefits that other children have can be a "nanny state." It's about the kids...Not their parents.

Reactions: Hawkdiver
Everything you said was on point up til the last line.

What do you mean by "assume?" It is a given fact that every district has families that do not have access to internet at home. I don't see how a school district trying to provide those children with the same benefits that other children have can be a "nanny state." It's about the kids...Not their parents.
Yeah, I thought the same thing.
I teach at a "rich" school and we had, like 6-10 kids that did not have internet at home.

Oh and just in case anyone was wondering, we were not "spying" on your kids. We really don't give a **** what anyone does once they leave the building! Hahaha

These last few posts (Laner2, BTF69, & cavalot) have the information that you are looking for. Nebraska public school technology directors/coordinators have been working with internet providers to get hotspots in the hands of students who do not have internet access at home. Some might assume that everyone has internet access at home but that is not accurate, especially in a district with 42,000 students. In the district where I work, we do have students without it so we provide these hotspots to allow those students to do homework, research, access digital texts, notes, assignments, Google Classroom, etc... from home. This is helpful for students who need it. In the end, if you have internet access at home, disregard the form & do what you do.

I have an LPS high schooler and middle schooler. I've NEVER received something like that. I'm guessing Jae's kids have maybe indicated they don't have Wi-Fi or something maybe?
At my kids school they ask kids who needs a hotspot. I've never got a form. But no judgment, my kids once got donated Christmas presents from school because they said they don't get enough. Which was a lie. We sent them back. The presents came with canned food too. Pretty embarrassing.

Thanks!

we have internet at home, my son's chromebook has been the issue, my daughter's school computer works at our home, all my other stuff works at home, their solution is to put more shit in my house (my wife and son already tried making the computer work).

i think they just need to give my son a different computer instead, we don't need one of those either, but they want to hand out shitty chromebooks to everyone.

whatever happened to just giving kids an assignment that can be done with a pencil? why make things complicated?

the chromebook they want my son to use doesn't work. i don't know though, the rest of my shit works at home...

These last few posts (Laner2, BTF69, & cavalot) have the information that you are looking for. Nebraska public school technology directors/coordinators have been working with internet providers to get hotspots in the hands of students who do not have internet access at home. Some might assume that everyone has internet access at home but that is not accurate, especially in a district with 42,000 students. In the district where I work, we do have students without it so we provide these hotspots to allow those students to do homework, research, access digital texts, notes, assignments, Google Classroom, etc... from home. This is helpful for students who need it. In the end, if you have internet access at home, disregard the form & do what you do.

that's what we decided to do.

At my kids school they ask kids who needs a hotspot. I've never got a form. But no judgment, my kids once got donated Christmas presents from school because they said they don't get enough. Which was a lie. We sent them back. The presents came with canned food too. Pretty embarrassing.

that's awesome! 🤣

take what you can while you can.

Only this OP could read that agreement and find a way to express concerns that LPS is acting as if it "needed to put another router in his house," might be "taking control of his internet," or "have access to his internet." That posters played along and expressed concerns over "gubmint" surveillance and tapping into kids' phones is just bizarre. Jeezus people get a damn grip. Next thing you know roundabouts will be a gubmint scheme to make us so dizzy they won't have to pressure us into vaccine injections.

• Wow
Only this OP could read that agreement and find a way to express concerns that LPS is acting as if it "needed to put another router in his house," might be "taking control of his internet," or "have access to his internet." That posters played along and expressed concerns over "gubmint" surveillance and tapping into kids' phones is just bizarre. Jeezus people get a damn grip. Next thing you know roundabouts will be a gubmint scheme to make us so dizzy they won't have to pressure us into vaccine injections.
Never trust public institutions

• Love

i didn't, and really still don't know what a hotspot is. i don't want random shit in my house.

Have you tried pressing the power button?

my wife said it is actually the account itself, not even the chromebook. my son is able to access my daughter's and another friend's account through his chromebook, just not his account. this was already explained to the tech team.

yes, it's plugged in 😂.

• Haha
Reactions: BTF69
It’s just a small but it sounds like you don’t need it

we contacted our internet provider as well, to make sure that nothing is wrong with our internet. everything is good, i pay for the expensive internet even.

i think adding a hotspot is not the answer.

Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
we contacted our internet provider as well, to make sure that nothing is wrong with our internet. everything is good, i pay for the expensive internet even.

i think adding a hotspot is not the answer.
Nope. Sounds like they need to repair or replace the Chromebook

• Love
whatever happened to just giving kids an assignment that can be done with a pencil? why make things complicated?
Yeah I remember the good old days when completely bat shit crazy people would carefully pen their manifestos on a Big Chief tablet and mail them to newspapers.

Now they just spend all day, every freaking day, blubbering to strangers on the internet.

Yeah I remember the good old days when completely bat shit crazy people would carefully pen their manifestos on a Big Chief tablet and mail them to newspapers.

Now they just spend all day, every freaking day, blubbering to strangers on the internet.
Remember "Voices from the Grandstand" in the Omaha World Herald?

Reactions: Laner2

Despite what modern day politicians and talking heads chirp about....Schools in America, and teachers in general care about students and want the best for them. As teachers we all donate to these funds, and do what we can to help out our students. And our district doesn't come close to the poverty that other big districts do. The Teacher Bad mantra thing is only hurting American kids.... as all it has done is created an even wider teacher shortage.

Sorry soap box. ;)

Despite what modern day politicians and talking heads chirp about....Schools in America, and teachers in general care about students and want the best for them. As teachers we all donate to these funds, and do what we can to help out our students. And our district doesn't come close to the poverty that other big districts do. The Teacher Bad mantra thing is only hurting American kids.... as all it has done is created an even wider teacher shortage.

Sorry soap box. ;)
I figure the people who bitch about teachers should coach a youth sport. You couldn't pay me enough to deal with elementary-aged boys all day. One practice is enough to send me to the bar.

Reactions: cavalot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT