ADVERTISEMENT

If you’re Trev…

Can’t argue that. Insanely fundamentally sound. We could pay the kids a bunch but I’m curious about it’s limitations when they could choose to go play for someone more charismatic like Lincoln Riley or Dabo.

Outside of transfers, Lance’s recruiting hasn’t been on the same level of weis, gill, beaty, or miles yet.
He wasn't your coach for spring ball last year. Basically took over what was left behind. Finished with two wins. Probably not a lot of great high school players excited about that. Too bad they won't be able to see what he can do by December of this year, but if he snags some good guys, they are welcome to play for the Big Red.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Kiffin is interesting. I just feel like he’s going to hold out for something in the SEC. He just fits in there and probably has a good pipeline from his last few stops
He is literally in the SEC right now. He's on his second SEC team as a matter of fact. Is he holding out to take over alabama? 😀😂

The biggest question for me with regard to any hire is whether or not they can recruit elite athletes to Lincoln. I am on board with any coach who can do that. Urban Meyer of course, but I continue to think that is a pipe dream. Who else then can recruit elite talent to Lincoln? I have zero idea. Glad it is not my job to do this.
Lane Kiffin

Kiffin is interesting. I just feel like he’s going to hold out for something in the SEC. He just fits in there and probably has a good pipeline from his last few stops
I would love lane (sadly many Husker fans would not be able to handle him) but man, Ole Miss just seems like the most perfect fit ever for him.

That school never really wins or has won...the fans love to party and their expectations are low.

He is literally in the SEC right now. He's on his second SEC team as a matter of fact. Is he holding out to take over alabama? 😀😂
What’s him already being there already have anything to do with anything? You just helped my point in that he might want to stay in the sec with connections and pipelines he’s made during his time down there.

I’m sure he wouldn’t mind being in the mix for Alabama. But there’s also much bigger sec schools than ole miss. So yea, I think he’s gonna try to stay in the sec. Sorry my wording confused you 🫤

B
I think this is the wrong mentality. The mentality should simply be to be a better football team, at first. Get down the fundamentals. Be disciplined. Know your assignments and be accountable. That has to be the top priority. Comparing Nebraska to Alabama or USC is completely nonsensical at this point. NU can't even beat Northwestern or Georgia Southern. That's how far the program has fallen.

Nebraska needs to hire someone who understands it's a slow rebuild. Not someone who can beat Alabama or Ohio State.
Bill O’Brien is probably the surest bet but he might hurt somebody’s feelings

If I was trev, I'd ask gruden, urban, kiffen, aranda, stoops, ect...keep it to myself then pick the best one interested.
then say I picked the best avalible. bing bang

I'd make a list and start with the best I can think of then work down..

Last edited:
Reactions: MoreSteamWhistle
I would love lane (sadly many Husker fans would not be able to handle him) but man, Ole Miss just seems like the most perfect fit ever for him.

That school never really wins or has won...the fans love to party and their expectations are low.
Exactly. I don’t think he’s in a rush to leave. But I’d bet he leaves eventually for a nice job.

Reactions: SuperBigFan
This is a career defining decision. Do you think you can put Leipold up against Alabama, Georgia, OSU, USC, Oregon? Can you even put him and the huskers up against the top half of the conference? Penn state, Michigan, Minnesota? Oklahoma, Oklahoma state?

idk, I think this is more of a smokescreen than anything. He has 5 wins at the P5 level. We’ve failed miserably at every coaching decision in the last 20 years, there’s a lot of pressure on this hire.

It’s a long ways down if this doesn’t work out.
A long ways down? We're there. We are one of the worst teams, if not the worst, in the BIG. Haven't won three games in a row in how long? Frost never beat a top 50 team. We have lost every one of our most recent games against every team in the West. Frost has crashed the plane. We shouldn't be thinking about being able to beat the best teams in the country, we need to get back to good first.

How far have we fallen as a program, that many of our fans are excited over a coach who has only beaten West Virginia and Houston? Now if KU can beat OU, OSU, Baylor, or Texas, then I can understand.
Beat Texass, not too long ago . . . and has won 3 in a row. Also, Virginia and Houston would probably kick our ass. A guy that does more with less, sure sounds like someone we could use about now.

Last edited:
Sorry didn't read the whole thread, so someone else may have said this already.

There was a formula that used to work here.

Yes we lost some recruiting pools by moving to the B1G.. I wish it never happened, but there was a way we used to do things, and it worked well enough for 9+ wins a season.

We were able to get some great skill players.. the rest was player development, coaching continuity, and little change.

It may not be the recipe for national championships, but it is a recipe for respectability.

Wisconsin has been using this 'stolen plan' for decades now, and with success.

The problem is every swinging dick you bring in, has an ego and has to put 'his stamp' on everything.

Find a guy who's willing to put ego aside and try and model what was done here that was successful before.

Success leaves clues. It's not really all that difficult.

lane is 17-4 in his last 21 games coached.

What’s him already being there already have anything to do with anything? You just helped my point in that he might want to stay in the sec with connections and pipelines he’s made during his time down there.

I’m sure he wouldn’t mind being in the mix for Alabama. But there’s also much bigger sec schools than ole miss. So yea, I think he’s gonna try to stay in the sec. Sorry my wording confused you 🫤
Ole Miss pays him 7.25 million plus incentives which ranks him as number 11 best paid in the NCAA. He's one of the top paid coaches in the SEC behind Jimbo, Saban, Kelly and Kirby Smart. They are in the 10 million per year range. I don't think he's waiting for Vanderbilt's call. Why am I doing all of the heavy lifting in these threads?

Ole Miss pays him 7.25 million plus incentives which ranks him as number 11 best paid in the NCAA. He's one of the top paid coaches in the SEC behind Jimbo, Saban, Kelly and Kirby Smart. They are in the 10 million per year range. I don't think he's waiting for Vanderbilt's call. Why am I doing all of the heavy lifting in these threads?
Jimbos on the hot seat what it seems every other week. Saban is 70. There’s LSU is Kelly doesn’t work out in a couple years. There’s Florida and auburn who’d love to get back to the top of the conference and they want to pay up.

just because they’re not open now doesn’t mean they won’t be open within the next 5 years. Saying he’s in the top 11 paid coaches would be my point. He’s got it pretty good, but he’ll eventually get another shot at a bigger school. I don’t think he’d jump at Nebraska for similar pay, I think he’d wait until one of these big sec schools has an opening and come knocking, if they ever do.

did I spell that out good enough for you?

I think people see-saw too much depending on who we just fired. They want a coach that can recruit elite talent, don't really care too much about the rest. Great that gets you Ron Zook. We lose. You want a known developer of marginal talent. Great, that gets you Ferentz, we lose.

Granted either one of those is better than Frost, but they aren't home runs either. The simple fact is, a good coach in the modern game is going to have to be reasonably talented at several aspects of the job, even if he isn't the top dawg in any one skill.

Do you ever wonder why Iowa wisconsin, Minnesota and northwestern can't or don't recruit big time quarterbacks to the program? They don't think it's possible or they don't believe in themselves? What makes us think we could, especially since we don't have track record of it?

Wisconsin gets elite running backs. NFL rosters are littered with them. Iowa puts a lot of good linemen in the league. When was the last time we recruited an elite athlete that left the program as an elite athlete?

I am in favor of recruiting to a certain style and then developing the heck out of those guys. I think we could recruit to a top 25 level and then put a top 10 team on the field given enough time.
Jeff Monken HC Army. He will hire his brother Todd Monken OC Georgia.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I think this is the wrong mentality. The mentality should simply be to be a better football team, at first. Get down the fundamentals. Be disciplined. Know your assignments and be accountable. That has to be the top priority. Comparing Nebraska to Alabama or USC is completely nonsensical at this point. NU can't even beat Northwestern or Georgia Southern. That's how far the program has fallen.

Nebraska needs to hire someone who understands it's a slow rebuild. Not someone who can beat Alabama or Ohio State.
I really disagree that it's a slow rebuild. I think it can be done in only a couple years with the right coach and staff. Take a look at the QB depth chart. It's actually quite loaded compared to many teams. With some good JUCO transfers and good coaching and development the turnaround to winning can be relatively quick.

... and a coach who's come out and said he's not leaving Lawrence at that. You guys have an extremely over-inflated opinion of your football program. No way Urban walks through that locker room door either, he's going to have better options this cycle or next year's cycle. It's not 1995 anymore fellas. You guys can probably get that Liberty head coach or retread coordinator like O'Brien. Know your limitations now guys.
I got five words for you:

Kansas is the epitome

• Haha
Reactions: ATX Husker
Jimbos on the hot seat what it seems every other week. Saban is 70. There’s LSU is Kelly doesn’t work out in a couple years. There’s Florida and auburn who’d love to get back to the top of the conference and they want to pay up.

just because they’re not open now doesn’t mean they won’t be open within the next 5 years. Saying he’s in the top 11 paid coaches would be my point. He’s got it pretty good, but he’ll eventually get another shot at a bigger school. I don’t think he’d jump at Nebraska for similar pay, I think he’d wait until one of these big sec schools has an opening and come knocking, if they ever do.

did I spell that out good enough for you?
We're taking YOUR coach, Poindexter. Lance Leipold. Deal with it. Not interested in slimy Lane Kiffin and he ain't interested in us. Comprendo?

I think people see-saw too much depending on who we just fired. They want a coach that can recruit elite talent, don't really care too much about the rest. Great that gets you Ron Zook. We lose. You want a known developer of marginal talent. Great, that gets you Ferentz, we lose.

Granted either one of those is better than Frost, but they aren't home runs either. The simple fact is, a good coach in the modern game is going to have to be reasonably talented at several aspects of the job, even if he isn't the top dawg in any one skill.
I think the modern-day coach is an excellent CEO. He works hard, he hires an excellent staff that also grinds and creates a winning culture. He has high standards for excellence and accountability. He can work with different personality types to bring out the best in them.

Such an odd opinion about who the Huskers can get.

It has been 5 bad years...3 years of Avg Mike and even though a lot of you are scared of Bo, his time at NU was basically what almost every school would love to have, 9 and 10 wins every year.

"It is not 1995" good, because in 1995 it would have been harder to get a stud coach, less money, coming into a situation where you were following a legend...so on and so on.

NIL...any Husker FB knows they will have crazy jack to throw around.
Coaching salary...NU can pay as much as they want.
Stable conference
Brand new construction
Probably the best fan support in the nation
And in what, two years, 12 teams make the playoff.

There are schools that after this weekend will be 4-0 and possibly not ranked...a 4-0 NU team is ranked, period. Everything is in place to win at NU.

Reactions: zrob and BleedRed78
“Meyer during the OU game said we should return to our roots as a power running team, or something like that.”

Correct…:now exactly how does a new coach do that? There’s no way (well most likely not) a new coach comes in and asks TO for his playbook. In terms of recruiting, TO didn’t need the best talent to win big. He recruited well, but talent level was never that of Miami, USC, etc. I think the only way the best talent comes to Lincoln is to play for a highly successful, proven coach if one would even come to Lincoln. Otherwise, we’re aspiring to be another Iowa State (no offense) and maybe that’s just more realistic going forward.

This is a career defining decision. Do you think you can put Leipold up against Alabama, Georgia, OSU, USC, Oregon? Can you even put him and the huskers up against the top half of the conference? Penn state, Michigan, Minnesota? Oklahoma, Oklahoma state?

idk, I think this is more of a smokescreen than anything. He has 5 wins at the P5 level. We’ve failed miserably at every coaching decision in the last 20 years, there’s a lot of pressure on this hire.

It’s a long ways down if this doesn’t work out.
So, winning 4 and playing for 5 NC's in 6 years at the D-lll, taking down a perennial powerhouse program in 3 of them, means absolutely nothing. All the previous coaching stops, even in FBS, and learning under legends means absolutely nothing. Taking 2 programs off the trash heap and having one playing for titles in 2 consecutive years means absolutely nothing... Knowing the culture of the Midwest, especially the B1G footprint, and playing in Nebraska and Wisconsin weather means absolutely nothing. Makes for a great smokescreen.

I beg to differ. Winning is a mindset that follows you through your career. Imagine if Urban wasn't allowed to advance from Bowling Green because he didn't have power 5 experience before going to Utah. Winners win, and losers make excuses.

So, winning 4 and playing for 5 NC's in 6 years at the D-lll, taking down a perennial powerhouse program in 3 of them, means absolutely nothing. All the previous coaching stops, even in FBS, and learning under legends means absolutely nothing. Taking 2 programs off the trash heap and having one playing for titles in 2 consecutive years means absolutely nothing... Knowing the culture of the Midwest, especially the B1G footprint, and playing in Nebraska and Wisconsin weather means absolutely nothing. Makes for a great smokescreen.

I beg to differ. Winning is a mindset that follows you through your career. Imagine if Urban wasn't allowed to advance from Bowling Green because he didn't have power 5 experience before going to Utah. Winners win, and losers make excuses.

Yes its Division 2.

It means nothing.

I think the modern-day coach is an excellent CEO. He works hard, he hires an excellent staff that also grinds and creates a winning culture. He has high standards for excellence and accountability. He can work with different personality types to bring out the best in them.
In other words, the opposite of Scott Frost.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT