ADVERTISEMENT

If you’re Trev…

Nov 21, 2020
This is a career defining decision. Do you think you can put Leipold up against Alabama, Georgia, OSU, USC, Oregon? Can you even put him and the huskers up against the top half of the conference? Penn state, Michigan, Minnesota? Oklahoma, Oklahoma state?

idk, I think this is more of a smokescreen than anything. He has 5 wins at the P5 level. We’ve failed miserably at every coaching decision in the last 20 years, there’s a lot of pressure on this hire.

It’s a long ways down if this doesn’t work out.

I wish I was this simple.
I mean yea we’re not usc poaching a coach to the pacific coast but there’s plenty of Oklahoma state- Mike Gundy level coaches with proven staffs that can come in and compete with unlimited resources. And maybe Lance can too but it just seems like a stretch.

The biggest question for me with regard to any hire is whether or not they can recruit elite athletes to Lincoln. I am on board with any coach who can do that. Urban Meyer of course, but I continue to think that is a pipe dream. Who else then can recruit elite talent to Lincoln? I have zero idea. Glad it is not my job to do this.

This is a career defining decision. Do you think you can put Leipold up against Alabama, Georgia, OSU, USC, Oregon? Can you even put him and the huskers up against the top half of the conference? Penn state, Michigan, Minnesota? Oklahoma, Oklahoma state?

idk, I think this is more of a smokescreen than anything. He has 5 wins at the P5 level. We’ve failed miserably at every coaching decision in the last 20 years, there’s a lot of pressure on this hire.

Great insights newbie.

I think this is the wrong mentality. The mentality should simply be to be a better football team, at first. Get down the fundamentals. Be disciplined. Know your assignments and be accountable. That has to be the top priority. Comparing Nebraska to Alabama or USC is completely nonsensical at this point. NU can't even beat Northwestern or Georgia Southern. That's how far the program has fallen.

Nebraska needs to hire someone who understands it's a slow rebuild. Not someone who can beat Alabama or Ohio State.

Yes, it's make or break it for Trev. Unfortunately I just don't have much confidence in him making the right decision. Obviously I hope I'm wrong. I wasn't a big fan of Trev being named the AD at the time so now Trev show me how wrong I was.

The biggest question for me with regard to any hire is whether or not they can recruit elite athletes to Lincoln. I am on board with any coach who can do that. Urban Meyer of course, but I continue to think that is a pipe dream. Who else then can recruit elite talent to Lincoln? I have zero idea. Glad it is not my job to do this.
Do you ever wonder why Iowa wisconsin, Minnesota and northwestern can't or don't recruit big time quarterbacks to the program? They don't think it's possible or they don't believe in themselves? What makes us think we could, especially since we don't have track record of it?

Wisconsin gets elite running backs. NFL rosters are littered with them. Iowa puts a lot of good linemen in the league. When was the last time we recruited an elite athlete that left the program as an elite athlete?

I am in favor of recruiting to a certain style and then developing the heck out of those guys. I think we could recruit to a top 25 level and then put a top 10 team on the field given enough time.

This is what drives me nuts. We have sucked for 20 years vs TO and Devaney teams

Hire f.. Urban and be done with it. He is the only sure hire other than Saban which will never happen.

SF is hardly a poster child for good behavior. Urban in 4 years can put into place a foundation we haven't had since TO

I think this is the wrong mentality. The mentality should simply be to be a better football team, at first. Get down the fundamentals. Be disciplined. Know your assignments and be accountable. That has to be the top priority. Comparing Nebraska to Alabama or USC is completely nonsensical at this point. NU can't even beat Northwestern or Georgia Southern. That's how far the program has fallen.

Nebraska needs to hire someone who understands it's a slow rebuild. Not someone who can beat Alabama or Ohio State.
Yes and no. At the end we want someone who can compete at the highest level right? Our recruiting has been on point recently but the coaching has been terrible.

it’s a package deal, if you can compete with the top teams in the conference and hopefully the country, beating northwestern and Georgia southern will come with it.

How far have we fallen as a program, that many of our fans are excited over a coach who has only beaten West Virginia and Houston? Now if KU can beat OU, OSU, Baylor, or Texas, then I can understand.

Reactions: MoreSteamWhistle
How far have we fallen as a program, that many of our fans are excited over a coach who has only beaten West Virginia and Houston? Now if KU can beat OU, OSU, Baylor, or Texas, then I can understand.

The Office Thank You GIF

This is what drives me nuts. We have sucked for 20 years vs TO and Devaney teams

Hire f.. Urban and be done with it. He is the only sure hire other than Saban which will never happen.

SF is hardly a poster child for good behavior. Urban in 4 years can put into place a foundation we haven't had since TO
Does the fact that he doesn't want to be here come into consideration at all? Move on already.

Reactions: zrob and Minn1954
Look at their schedule from last year to this year. Started off by getting blown out every week, and then as the weeks progressed they were losing by less and less. Then they knocked off Texas. Fast forward to this year and they are now the predator. They don't have the caliber of athletes that Oklahoma, Baylor, and Oklahoma State have. But I think he'll clip one of them and be competitive with all of them. Then people can fabricate a story about how teams didn't take Kansas seriously. No, they're just a fired up team that's well coached and getting the most out of everything they've got

The only guarantee out there is Meyer. I don't think he's coming here but I hope Trev goes all out for him and makes Mickey HC in waiting. After Meyer there is not one can't miss coach out there, sorry Gundy, he's reached his ceiling. So if you strike out on Meyer you need a program builder, and that's what LL has done every where he's been.

Not once have we hired a proven program builder since TO.

... and a coach who's come out and said he's not leaving Lawrence at that. You guys have an extremely over-inflated opinion of your football program. No way Urban walks through that locker room door either, he's going to have better options this cycle or next year's cycle. It's not 1995 anymore fellas. You guys can probably get that Liberty head coach or retread coordinator like O'Brien. Know your limitations now guys.

... and a coach who's come out and said he's not leaving Lawrence at that. You guys have an extremely over-inflated opinion of your football program. No way Urban walks through that locker room door either, he's going to have better options this cycle or next year's cycle. It's not 1995 anymore fellas. You guys can probably get that Liberty head coach or retread coordinator like O'Brien. Know your limitations now guys.
We can get Leipold if we want him. If you disagree, just go away and relax.

We'll take your coach if we want him. You know it's true. But don't worry, we will write you a nice check on our way out the door. You should have kept mangiant-o.

The only guarantee out there is Meyer. I don't think he's coming here but I hope Trev goes all out for him and makes Mickey HC in waiting. After Meyer there is not one can't miss coach out there, sorry Gundy, he's reached his ceiling. So if you strike out on Meyer you need a program builder, and that's what LL has done every where he's been.

Sure lance can build a mid level program but have you seen his recruiting? It’s not great. I have a hard time seeing him out recruit other big programs. We might get marginally better players than Kansas by default but I don’t see him recruiting at a high level.

i think he can bring in guys to get 7-9 wins maybe but just don’t see him taking it to the next level. I feel like the ceiling with his recruiting isn’t as high as people might expect.

Reactions: Chuck003
You talked to him?
Why would any so called hot coach want to come here?
Ego is one good reason. If he was the one to come here and turn our program into the Phoenix rising out of the flames. He just needs to make us highly competitive for a couple years or so and leave a Ryan Day type to take over.

Reactions: RaulJones

Mickey is only a few years younger than Urban Meyer, so I don't think he will be HC in waiting.

lol go back to 2017, there were like 20 UCF fans on this board all saying the same thing...."Frost said he's not leaving Orlando, it's not the 90s anymore".

No football coach is turning down Nebraska to stay at Kansas. That would be like a basketball coach turning down Kansas to stay at Nebraska. You don't turn down a blue-blood to stay at the worst program of all-time.

Lol, your last line is so ironic coming from you.

Sure lance can build a mid level program but have you seen his recruiting? It’s not great. I have a hard time seeing him out recruit other big programs. We might get marginally better players than Kansas by default but I don’t see him recruiting at a high level.

i think he can bring in guys to get 7-9 wins maybe but just don’t see him taking it to the next level. I feel like the ceiling with his recruiting isn’t as high as people might expect.
How is NIL at KU vs NU? How many elite 4/5 star players go to Buffalo or KU football. I dont know if Leipold is the guy but his teams are fundamentally sound

Always possible but a guy like him can get us back to a good foundation again. His staff and recruiters will also determine how far we go, he is definitely a good enough coach who won't constantly get out schemed.

Always possible but a guy like him can get us back to a good foundation again. His staff and recruiters will also determine how far we go, he is definitely a good enough coach who won't constantly get out schemed.
Yea he could definitely be the answer for us. I wouldn’t be surprised for ku to try to replace Lance with their OC if that happens. And their OC is the play caller. Idk if that really means a whole lot for Lance’s success here but it sure makes your curious what offense you’d see here if the OC stayed.

How is NIL at KU vs NU? How many elite 4/5 star players go to Buffalo or KU football. I dont know if Leipold is the guy but his teams are fundamentally sound
Can’t argue that. Insanely fundamentally sound. We could pay the kids a bunch but I’m curious about it’s limitations when they could choose to go play for someone more charismatic like Lincoln Riley or Dabo.

Outside of transfers, Lance’s recruiting hasn’t been on the same level of weis, gill, beaty, or miles yet.

Ego is one good reason. If he was the one to come here and turn our program into the Phoenix rising out of the flames. He just needs to make us highly competitive for a couple years or so and leave a Ryan Day type to take over.

Thats what I think as well.

People are caught up in the old ways.

Reactions: 10Trvln
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT