ADVERTISEMENT

i guess the conference is undervalued?

maybe they see the upside as obvious. adding fsu and clemson, for example, would make the enterprise far more valuable. and clearly both of them are available, actually looking for an acc out.
They're not looking to go to the big 12. Haven't you got enough attention for one day? What's worse than the ACC? The Big 12. The Big 12 will not be part of the P2. That's where you going to find FSU once it's able to break its ACC commitment. Maybe you should go back to putting your hands over your ears and saying la la la.

FSU/Clemson would only go to the Big 12 if the BIG 10 and SEC turn them down.
they would go if there were financial reasons that justify same, yes. i do not believe florida wants fsu in the sec, nor usc,e clemson. i would think the b10 would favor uva and unc over both for academic reasons. globally, these two additions to the b12 would bring some parity.

they would go if there were financial reasons that justify same, yes. i do not believe florida wants fsu in the sec, nor usc,e clemson. i would think the b10 would favor uva and unc over both for academic reasons. globally, these two additions to the b12 would bring some parity.

Texas A@M did not want Texas in the league and that didn’t stop the SEC. I am not sure the Florida argument holds any water.

Ok, if you want to be technical Texas/OU vs FSU or Clemson.
like missouri going sec to fill the aTm deal, i believe ou went sec to compliment texas. both texas schools drove those moves. ou is most likely to struggle in the new league, like nebraska has in the b10. yeah, that's a sidebar. i believe texas will excell, unlike aTm. missouri has always been the outlier. sec schools still loathe their presence.

This is interesting, I work in wealth management and do a lot of PE deals for our clients. All of them typically have a 5-10 year investment period and then a very defined exit strategy. What I’m trying to figure out is the exit strategy for this PE company, are they planning on the conference just buying back the 20% ownership at some multiple 7 years down the road? Maybe selling it to another PE fund, I doubt it? I can’t see that happening and wondering what their exit plan is as you know they have one.
That was my point to averitas. This isn't a gift. They're going to expect an annual return on that investment which imo would atleast be equal to one more mouth to feed from conference gross not net revenue each year. AND that money will have to be paid back at some time.

That was my point to averitas. This isn't a gift. They're going to expect an annual return on that investment which imo would atleast be equal to one more mouth to feed from conference gross not net revenue each year. AND that money will have to be paid back at some time.
that's not how it works unless it is structured as a loan. if the investment house is buying equity in the league then it will share accordingly, 15%. thus, what it wants in value growth. so at some point it can sell it's share for a profit. adding fsu and clemson would do that almost overnight, maybe.

This is interesting, I work in wealth management and do a lot of PE deals for our clients. All of them typically have a 5-10 year investment period and then a very defined exit strategy. What I’m trying to figure out is the exit strategy for this PE company, are they planning on the conference just buying back the 20% ownership at some multiple 7 years down the road? Maybe selling it to another PE fund, I doubt it? I can’t see that happening and wondering what their exit plan is as you know they have one.
In 5-7 years there will be no more conferences

They’ll make an annual return (obviously) until then & their equity stake will be liquidated as part of the unification of the P4 into one league

Makes perfect sense to me, especially as collective player bargaining becomes more and more imminent

that's not how it works unless it is structured as a loan. if the investment house is buying equity in the league then it will share accordingly, 15%. thus, what it wants in value growth. so at some point it can sell it's share for a profit. adding fsu and clemson would do that almost overnight, maybe.
Here's a really dumb question maybe. How do you come up with a value of a conference? Example: 1 billion $ would be 20% of the value of the b12. How does one come up with that and who really owns it?

Honestly with court rulings I could see some institutions like cu before Deion Sanders saying screw the athletic department. It's a money pit vs money generator so let's drop athletics to trim the budget and go academics only. Likely won't happen but bet it's discussed at some board of regents meetings.

Here's a really dumb question maybe. How do you come up with a value of a conference? Example: 1 billion $ would be 20% of the value of the b12. How does one come up with that and who really owns it?

Honestly with court rulings I could see some institutions like cu before Deion Sanders saying screw the athletic department. It's a money pit vs money generator so let's drop athletics to trim the budget and go academics only. Likely won't happen but bet it's discussed at some board of regents meetings.
there are all sorts of ways to value. discounting the cash flow would be one. one would have to make assumptions about interest rates, risks, growth, etc. but i suspect that's what is happening here. the investment house is looking at the b10 and sec and saying to itself that the b12 is undervalued on a relative basis. thus, that's an investment opportunity for them.

that's a matter of conjecture not fact. i could see a power three conference model just as well under some sort of unified rules and perhaps even income distribution.
If you’re a person who considers the NFC and AFC “conferences”, then sure. Call them what you want.

But that is the literal exact same thing I’m talking about, and literally the only sustainable answer long-term.

The most successful sports league in human history has a blueprint for major CFB.

My guess is it gets followed instead of idiotically attempting to reinvent the wheel for no reason whatsoever

And by the way it’s the best outcome for all involved because the regionality we’ve lost will return right along with it

maybe they see the upside as obvious. adding fsu and clemson, for example, would make the enterprise far more valuable. and clearly both of them are available, actually looking for an acc out.
The problem with your line of thinking is that when FSU, Clemson, Miami, North Carolina, Duke, etc...all become available, the SEC and the Big Ten will be very much in the driver's seat to select who they want.

For the ACC to fold it will take at least 7 schools to dissolve the league. That isn't going to be some cloak and dagger, secret movement type thing in the middle of the night.

I don't blame the b12 for doing what they gotta do. They can try to be proactive ( which I don't blame them because their backs are against the wall and better try something rather than get left with head in the sand) but that doesn't mean fsu. Clemson, NC would want to make the move that the b12 is hoping for.

I would think they're looking for profitability and stability. A safe harbor.

So assuming that this venture capital company thinks they can bring in Miami, Clemson, Florida State and NC, the big 4 from the acc, to go ca-ching, what if they don't?

Reactions: Huskers123456
I don't blame the b12 for doing what they gotta do. They can try to be proactive ( which I don't blame them because their backs are against the wall and better try something rather than get left with head in the sand) but that doesn't mean fsu. Clemson, NC would want to make the move that the b12 is hoping for.

So assuming that this venture capital company thinks they can bring in Miami, Clemson, Florida State and NC, the big 4 from the acc, to go ca-ching, what if they don't?
It's too late. They had their chance a long time ago. They weren't strong because of Texas. Everyone bolted that could. Now Texas and Oklahoma have left it's a shell conference. It's not going to be able to recover from this by adding Utah and Arizona State. It's on the way down the crapper. The writing's on the wall. When the ACC disintegrates the Big 10 will grab the top two. The SEC will get two. Notre Dame will decide how the rest of the dominos fall.

well, that's the risk management part, isn't it. one would assume the investment house has done their due diligence before ponying up a $1 billion offer to buy this 15-20% equity share. the guys/gals there are so far ahead of the curve you and i travel that it's not even measurable. if they're not, they're fools. and i suspect that's not the case given the dollars at play here. we can be assured that the scenarios have been laid out numerous times before the board, the risks defined, the strategy understood, and the price defined well before they ever went to see yormark. what that strategy is - it's only a guess on our part at this point.

Reactions: Landomatic
If you’re a person who considers the NFC and AFC “conferences”, then sure. Call them what you want.

But that is the literal exact same thing I’m talking about, and literally the only sustainable answer long-term.

The most successful sports league in human history has a blueprint for major CFB.

My guess is it gets followed instead of idiotically attempting to reinvent the wheel for no reason whatsoever

And by the way it’s the best outcome for all involved because the regionality we’ve lost will return right along with it
That’s what I was saying/referring to in reference to regional divisions of some type of league (complete with collective bargaining.) It may soon be a “professional” league.

Reactions: king_kong_
This is a little out of my element and probably a dumb question, but if the Big 12 is a 501c nonprofit, would a for-profit investor, buying in like that, change that status and in turn impact the status of member athletic departments?

This is a little out of my element and probably a dumb question, but if the Big 12 is a 501c nonprofit, would a for-profit investor, buying in like that, change that status and in turn impact the status of member athletic departments?
that's a legit question that would be subject to ruling should it happen, the equity investment. this is all rumor to this point in time. but clearly, it would be a question the conference would have to address with tax counsel before moving forward.

Reactions: CheeseRunza
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT