ADVERTISEMENT

i guess the conference is undervalued?

Yeah I would love to invest tons of cash in a conference that the vast majority of members dont want to really be in and would leave in a moments notice if the opportunity ever presented itself.
yet an investment house seems to be doing just that. amazing isn't it.

the cracker jacks comment was his, i just reminded him. and speaking of ad hominem, why don't y'all get back to the topic?
But he directed that comment at the conference, not at you. You’re the one who made a personal attack - the kind you regularly whine about.

Another example of you being a thin-skinned, blowharding hypocrite.

8ttak1.jpg
I think the idea of letting companies advertise on their jerseys is a good move for them.

wow. i can't even diagram that much less interpret it.
What's hard to understand? They buy into the best available increasing tv revenue and remove risk by charging each school. Even though they can't keep up w the big two conferences, there's money to be made for a firm like that.

This is very interesting but it gives me a big fat stress headache.

I guess in this instance I'm scared of change and the college football world I grew up in.

Reactions: saluno22
What's hard to understand? They buy into the best available increasing tv revenue and remove risk by charging each school. Even though they can't keep up w the big two conferences, there's money to be made for a firm like that.
I guess I agree with this. I wouldn't want to do it unless I had to. Venture capital company comes in with 1 time injection of 1 billion for 20%. That's 1 year of TV revenue rights in the b1g I believe.

But they get 20% of conference revenue leaving 80% to be split between 16 schools. That's actually less than what they're getting now.

Do you think the big12 TV deal will be better without texas and ok?? We'll see.

A lot to think about here

Might be bigger picture than most are thinking. Take that influx of cash and use it to lure bigger programs to the conference with the longer term plan being to increase TV revenue. No different than a new owner buying a struggling sports franchise. First things they do...hire new big name talent and build a new stadium. If the Big 12 could get 2-3 blue bloods with some major TV markets, they're right back in the game. A cool $ Billion plus would go a long way toward that. And would be great for college football.

having spent much of my career in m&a, it's hard not to take your thoughts for what they are in this matter. i won't characterize them. other than to say the private equity company is the free market screaming at you that the b12 is undervalued, literally screaming with a billion dollars. and let me say that if there's cracker jacks at play here we know where they're located between your ears.
One proposed investment by private equity company from a country that is about the size of Saunders County does not equate to "the free market screaming" at you.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I don't know what all the hub-bub about this is. As near as I can tell from reading articles, the entire "deal" is nothing more than naming rights. It will be the "Allstate 12" conference. For whatever they pay the leagues 16 teams, yep that makes even less sense, that money is divided between the teams to continually have the conference name be their company name. Just like a stadium being named for a sponsoring company, nothing more. There is no stock purchase of going public or any of that, just a cost associated with naming the conference your company's name. It's a brand awareness thing.

Globe Life Insurance is looking at Conference USA in a similar move.

The B1G "could/would" no longer be named that but could be something like the General Mills 20 or the Schwab 18 or whatever you company or number you want.

Personally I think it is dumb, just more commercializing of the league instead of the individual team but I understand why, to get more revenue in the coffers for NIL and to pay the bill for past student/athletes named in the law suit. In short, college teams, players, stadiums and now leagues are selling their naming and sponsor rights to the highest bidder.

Here in Salina KS we have a convention center that was sold the naming rights to Tony's Pizza so now every mention of an event in Salina is held at the Tony's Pizza Convention Center and there was an upfront payment and I believe more each year. The talk about valuations of teams and all that is not what this is about, it is just a way to get your name out there.

I don't know what all the hub-bub about this is. As near as I can tell from reading articles, the entire "deal" is nothing more than naming rights. It will be the "Allstate 12" conference. For whatever they pay the leagues 16 teams, yep that makes even less sense, that money is divided between the teams to continually have the conference name be their company name. Just like a stadium being named for a sponsoring company, nothing more. There is no stock purchase of going public or any of that, just a cost associated with naming the conference your company's name. It's a brand awareness thing.

The B1G "could/would" no longer be named that but could be something like the General Mills 20 or the Schwab 18 or whatever you company or number you want.

Personally I think it is dumb, just more commercializing of the league instead of the individual team but I understand why, to get more revenue in the coffers for NIL and to pay the bill for past student/athletes named in the law suit. In short, college teams, players, stadiums and now leagues are selling their naming and sponsor rights to the highest bidder.

Here in Salina KS we have a convention center that was sold the naming rights to Tony's Pizza so now every mention of an event in Salina is held at the Tony's Pizza Convention Center and there was an upfront payment and I believe more each year. The talk about valuations of teams and all that is not what this is about, it is just a way to get your name out there.

Two separate things...one is money for naming rights as you described. The other if for a private equity firm buying 20% of the conference. Both are being reported as possibilities for the Big 12 to raise some capital.

I still call it the bicentennial center out of habit

again, can someone here explain hank's post? "they" means the investment house, i presume. "the best available increasing tv revenue" - i have no clue what that means other than hank thinks b12 tv revenue will be increasing at a rate higher than the three other conferences? i'm not clear where that comes from. "by charging each school" means hank thinks the investment house is "charging each school" rather than paying them $1 billion for 15% of the action? seriously, someone break this down for us?

One proposed investment by private equity company from a country that is about the size of Saunders County does not equate to "the free market screaming" at you.
so the size of the country invalidates the market? now there's a take for the day. have you heard of singapore, dean? how about banking in switzerland?

so the size of the country invalidates the market? now there's a take for the day. have you heard of singapore, dean? how about banking in switzerland?
Nice try. I will type more slowly. One private equity firm is not "the market" and one offer does not constitute the market "screaming".

Might be bigger picture than most are thinking. Take that influx of cash and use it to lure bigger programs to the conference with the longer term plan being to increase TV revenue. No different than a new owner buying a struggling sports franchise. First things they do...hire new big name talent and build a new stadium. If the Big 12 could get 2-3 blue bloods with some major TV markets, they're right back in the game. A cool $ Billion plus would go a long way toward that. And would be great for college football.
I seriously doubt a single blue blood would ever entertain going to the Allstate conference, let alone 2 or 3. They all have security in the B1G or SEC. Why go elsewhere that will not pay the same nor have the stability?

Nice try. I will type more slowly. One private equity firm is not "the market" and one offer does not constitute the market "screaming".
well, i'm glad we got off the country size anyway. $1 billion is a scream in my ear, be it not yours. we'll see how this plays out. nothing has been done yet but rumors, reports, and rants. i just thought it was interesting on so many levels.

well, i'm glad we got off the country size anyway. $1 billion is a scream in my ear, be it not yours. we'll see how this plays out. nothing has been done yet but rumors, reports, and rants. i just thought it was interesting on so many levels.

At this point it is interesting for Big 12 teams. I suggest you take this topic to…

My analogy is someone buying a company like Sears to sell off Craftsman and then later sell the real estate. Squeeze some money out, knowing that company itself doesn't have a long-term chance. Desperation, short-term move.

Big ten did the same thing when schools panicked during covid and gave FOX a greater share of the tv rights. Main difference being that FOX is a long time partner who has a similar vested interest in the Big ten succeeding.

If you want to sell off your future for some bucks today, this is the way. BUT ask Clemson and FSU how they feel today about having signed away their media rights for years into the future. Now they're stuck. And remember no outside financial investment is done for charity reasons, they expect to profit big time.

My analogy is someone buying a company like Sears to sell off Craftsman and then later sell the real estate. Squeeze some money out, knowing that company itself doesn't have a long-term chance. Desperation, short-term move.

Big ten did the same thing when schools panicked during covid and gave FOX a greater share of the tv rights. Main difference being that FOX is a long time partner who has a similar vested interest in the Big ten succeeding.
you can't sell off something you don't own. in this case, the investment house would control 15% of the vote - if it happens at all. i'm not sure it will without knowing the contract specifications being offered. the more logical explanation is that the house sees the conference as an undervalued asset rather than having parts that are valuable to sell.

you can't sell off something you don't own. in this case, the investment house would control 15% of the vote - if it happens at all. i'm not sure it will without knowing the contract specifications being offered. the more logical explanation is that the house sees the conference as an undervalued asset rather than having parts that are valuable to sell.
I thought it was 20

I seriously doubt a single blue blood would ever entertain going to the Allstate conference, let alone 2 or 3. They all have security in the B1G or SEC. Why go elsewhere that will not pay the same nor have the stability?

Money talks. And $Billiion plus is real money. Hell, all I ever hear about around here is how much better off we are for all the money money money (despite that we've been in a downward spiral in terms of actual success on the field). Last I checked, we're a blue blood who left for the money. So, which is it?

Reactions: regoratsginrom
Money talks. And $Billiion plus is real money. Hell, all I ever hear about around here is how much better off we are for all the money money money (despite that we've been in a downward spiral in terms of actual success on the field). Last I checked, we're a blue blood who left for the money. So, which is it?
I haven’t looked at the numbers being floated, but I don’t see any way the money proposed matches or betters what is being made in the B1G or the SEC.

If I’m wrong, you may have a point. Have they released any proposed figures? I’ve only read headlines, so not too knowledgeable about it all…

I haven’t looked at the numbers being floated, but I don’t see any way the money proposed matches or betters what is being made in the B1G or the SEC.

If I’m wrong, you may have a point. Have they released any proposed figures? I’ve only read headlines, so not too knowledgeable about it all…
the point, probably, is not that the b12 is going to get annual revenues like the b10 or sec, but that on a relative basis it is undervalued. so the investment house sees this as an opportunity to invest money, improve conference operations and thus revenues, inflate it's value, and then sell its share for a profit. for example, it could add fsu and/or clemson to the league.

• Haha
the point, probably, is not that the b12 is going to get annual revenues like the b10 or sec, but that on a relative basis it is undervalued. so the investment house sees this as an opportunity to invest money, improve conference operations and thus revenues, inflate it's value, and then sell its share for a profit. for example, it could add fsu and/or clemson to the league.
So yormark is doing a bad job?

So yormark is doing a bad job?
i would say that's is an odd question given he's adding $50 million annually in naming rights and perhaps $1 billion in capital to the enterprise. and this on top of bringing the 4-corner schools to the party, effectively collapsing the p12, and the acc is in shambles.

Don't be dramatic. This would equate to a one time payment of $62.5 million for each Big 12 member. I believe the difference in conference payout between NU and say, Kstate, is at least $30 million a year. The Big 12 is trying to keep it's head above water and appear to be exploring all options.

and this on top of bringing the 4-corner schools to the party, effectively collapsing the p12, and the acc is in shambles.
Even someone as incredibly dense as you are has to know that the Pac-12 collapsed when USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington jumped ship.

Colorado, Utah, U of A and ASU went looking for a life boat, and the Big 12 happened to be drifting nearby.

Even someone as incredibly dense as you are has to know that the Pac-12 collapsed when USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington jumped ship.

Colorado, Utah, U of A and ASU went looking for a life boat, and the Big 12 happened to be drifting nearby.
What a country. People say America is on a downhill slide. I would point to the fact that this dumbass has been able to keep and maintain his wife's lake home as evidence that literally everyone has a chance to succeed.

seriously dude, those school could have stayed in the p12 with oregon state and washington state, stanford and cal. under your theory, it collapsed when the sec took texas and ou, which triggered oregon and uw to to go b10. it's all semantics at this point. needlessly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT