ADVERTISEMENT

I’m no insider.... BUT....

Can we skip having a b-ball head coach altogether and his invest the money in football? I’m sure there are some swell assistants that can also lose. /s kinda

Reactions: ssmill777
Thanks for the input Harry!!! Who do you think we should get and how much should we pay them?

If we're really willing to offer a Top 10 salary nationally - and I'm not sure we are - you have to at least ask Altman, Hoiberg, Sampson, Marshall, Buzz Williams, Frank Martin. I don't expect any of them to actually take the job, but they are coaches who would actually be worthy of a Top 10 salary. Turgeon I don't think is worth nearly that much. He's never made it past the Sweet 16 in 20 years of coaching, and only made it past the 2nd round twice. He inherited very good programs at A&M and Maryland, so he hasn't had to build up a program from the bottom at this level.

I still think Nate Oats is probably the best coach out there who would actually take this job. We could probably get him for what we're paying Tim Miles. If Oats says no, then T.J. Otzelberger or Matt McMahon would be my Plan C.

Last edited:
I agree with Harry. If Moos wants to make a run at Turgeon - fine. I can't stand Turgeon, but I can still admit that hiring him away from Maryland would be a coup.

But if Moos offers Turgeon a pay increase over what he's making now, I suspect his agent would just start working on the Maryland AD to match it. And if you're going to offer such a boatload of cash that Turgeon can't possibly refuse, then go offer that to Jay Wright for God's sake.

Last edited:
I agree with Harry. If Moos wants to make a run at Turgeon - fine. I can't stand Turgeon, but I can still admit that hiring him away from Maryland would be a coup.

But if Moos offers Turgeon a pay increase over what he's making now, I suspect his agent would just start working on the Maryland AD to match it. And if you're going to offer such a boatload of cash that Turgeon can't possible refuse, then go offer that to Jay Wright for God's sake.
MD fans and talking heads can't stand Turgeon. They dog him all the time on talk radio over here in MD/DC. Just info I'm passing along.

At this point, the corpse from "Weekend at Bernie's" would be an upgrade.

But if Moos offers Turgeon a pay increase over what he's making now, I suspect his agent would just start working on the Maryland AD to match it. And if you're going to offer such a boatload of cash that Turgeon can't possible refuse, then go offer that to Jay Wright for God's sake.
I think there are most likely gentlemen's agreements among our conference brethren we won't poach each others head coaches. I would be shocked if we hired a B1G head coach. I think if Moos goes after a Power 5 coach it's someone like Altman, Hoiberg, Thad Matta, or Buzz Williams. I do believe we will be paying top 10 to top 15 money. $2.6 Million gets you into the top 20 in Salaries. 6 Big Ten Schools are currently in the Top 20 (OSU, MSU, MICH, IU, ILL, and MARYLAND). $3.25 Million gets you into the Top 10. I think to lure a Power 5 coach you're going to have to pay him at least a Million more than he's making now. That means we will probably be paying $3.5 to $4 Million our next coach. Heady seemed pretty certain we were going after a Power 5 coach and that Hank and Ronnie would both be heavily involved in hiring the new coach along with Moos. If true and Hank and Ronnie are taking a vested interest in this hire, they aren't going after another small fish like Miles.

If we're really willing to offer a Top 10 salary nationally - and I'm not sure we are - you have to at least ask Altman, Hoiberg, Sampson, Marshall, Buzz Williams, Frank Martin. I don't expect any of them to actually take the job, but they are coaches who would actually be worthy of a Top 10 salary. Turgeon I don't think is worth nearly that much. He's never made it past the Sweet 16 in 20 years of coaching, and only made it past the 2nd round twice. He inherited very good programs at A&M and Maryland, so he hasn't had to build up a program from the bottom at this level.

I still think Nate Oats is probably the best coach out there who would actually take this job. We could probably get him for what we're paying Tim Miles. If Oats says no, then T.J. Otzelberger or Matt McMahon would be my Plan C.

Off on a tangent here, as you’ve been on this board longer than I have. Remember many years ago when there’d be posts here where some said they wouldn’t want Altman to get the Nebraska job because of how he did at K-State? Laughing Now he’d be a home run hire.

I agree that if it gets to going after mid major coaches Oats needs to be the first one called.

Reactions: tpmcg
Head coaching record[edit]

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Jacksonville State Gamecocks
(Trans America Athletic Conference) (1998–2000)
1998–99 Jacksonville State 8–18 3–13 T–10th
1999–00 Jacksonville State 17–11 12–6 T–3rd
Jacksonville State: 25–29 (.463) 15–19 (.441)
Wichita State Shockers (Missouri Valley Conference) (2000–2007)
2000–01 Wichita State 9–19 4–14 9th
2001–02 Wichita State 15–15 9–9 T–5th
2002–03 Wichita State 18–12 12–6 T–3rd NIT Opening Round
2003–04 Wichita State 21–11 12–6 T–2nd NIT Second Round
2004–05 Wichita State 22–10 12–6 2nd NIT Second Round
2005–06 Wichita State 26–9 14–4 1st NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2006–07 Wichita State 17–14 8–10 6th
Wichita State: 128–90 (.587) 71–55 (.563)
Texas A&M Aggies (Big 12 Conference) (2007–2011)
2007–08 Texas A&M 25–11 8–8 6th NCAA Division I Round of 32
2008–09 Texas A&M 24–10 9–7 T–4th NCAA Division I Round of 32
2009–10 Texas A&M 24–10 11–5 T–2nd NCAA Division I Round of 32
2010–11 Texas A&M 24–9 10–6 3rd NCAA Division I Round of 64
Texas A&M: 97–40 (.708) 38–26 (.594)
Maryland Terrapins (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2011–2014)
2011–12 Maryland 17–15 6–10 8th
2012–13 Maryland 25–13 8–10 7th NIT Semifinal
2013–14 Maryland 17–15 9–9 T–7th
Maryland Terrapins (Big Ten Conference) (2014–present)
2014–15 Maryland 28–7 14–4 2nd NCAA Division I Round of 32
2015–16 Maryland 27–9 12–6 T–3rd NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2016–17 Maryland 24–9 12–6 T–2nd NCAA Division I Round of 64
2017–18 Maryland 19–12 8–10 8th
2018–19 Maryland 21–7 12–5
Maryland: 178–87 (.672) 81–60 (.574)

we could do worse.
it'd be a solid hire.
just need someone who can put us on the map...

MD fans and talking heads can't stand Turgeon. They dog him all the time on talk radio over here in MD/DC. Just info I'm passing along.

At this point, the corpse from "Weekend at Bernie's" would be an upgrade.
I can't say that I care for the guy but he's a very good coach. He's won everywhere he's gone. He has family ties to Nebraska and I could see him coming to Lincoln for the same money and a long term deal to get back to the midwest.

FWIW, Turgeon's father lives in Lincoln. Turgeon visits him often and is on record of saying that he likes Lincoln.
I like Lincoln too, but I'm not quitting my job to move there for one that's not remarkably better than the job I have.

Reactions: Wasker77
No to Turgeon. He doesn’t have to leave his backyard to recruit blue chip recruits to Maryland. They should be dominant. I’ll take Craig Smith over him all day every day. We need someone who can really coach, motivate and develop.

Am I the only one who thinks there's zero chance Craig Smith gets a call? He'd be an upgrade but it'd be like divorcing your wife and asking her sister out for a date.

Reactions: cubsker
He makes $2.7 million already, which is Top 20 highest paid in the nation. How much more would it take for him to leave? $3.5-4 million? That would put him in the Top 10 highest paid in the nation. I don't think Turgeon is one of the 10 best coaches in the nation. Probably not even one of the 20 best.
I don't think it is so much about how much per year, it is that there is some chatter that MD might be sick of him.

Am I the only one who thinks there's zero chance Craig Smith gets a call? He'd be an upgrade but it'd be like divorcing your wife and asking her sister out for a date.

A lot of people look at it the other way, that Smith would be loyal to Miles and not take the job but I can't think that is true. There is loyal and there is stupid, like the stupid fans that were loyal to Riley and Miles (even though they knew how lame they were).

If Smith is offered a 6 year deal that basically doubles his salary and sets him and his family up forever...well...**** "being loyal" to Miles.

A lot of people look at it the other way, that Smith would be loyal to Miles and not take the job but I can't think that is true. There is loyal and there is stupid, like the stupid fans that were loyal to Riley and Miles (even though they knew how lame they were).

If Smith is offered a 6 year deal that basically doubles his salary and sets him and his family up forever...well...**** "being loyal" to Miles.

Smith would take the job, but I can't see Moos hiring a Tim Miles protege. Especially since there seem to be some hard feelings between Moos and Miles.

I like Moos but the fact that he hired Ernie Kent at Washington State makes me very nervous about him hiring a basketball coach.

Smith would take the job, but I can't see Moos hiring a Tim Miles protege. Especially since there seems to be some hard feelings between Moos and Miles.

I like Moos but the fact that he hired Ernie Kent at Washington State makes me very nervous about him hiring a basketball coach.
Honestly on paper Kent was/is a great hire for WSU, two elite 8's, knows the area well, it just clearly has not worked but that happens. It is much better hiring a super dork of a coach with a long history of average and hoping that he will all of a sudden be really good.

The problem I have with Smith (and I haven't researched this so I could be wrong) is that a guy who hasn't had a big time job and who has changed jobs fairly frequently hasn't really proven his recruiting chops. I selfishly want a guy who I know without a doubt can recruit. Enough of this bullshit with our bigs consisting of a walk on football player (who I love and appreciate) and a skinny freshman who has been thrown to the dogs. Miles x's and o's suck, but his inability to build a BIG roster was the foundation for this trainwreck.

Reactions: ssmill777
But then again, it's not like a guy has never dumped his wife for her sister! I know it happens because I read "Ask Annie".

you'd forget about it once someone tells you the sister is hotter...

I can’t stand people who declare coach’s mind sets of “never wanting to come coach here” You have no idea what is going on in their personal lives or head space, the type of goals they have, on or off the court. Turgeon’s dad is probably not a young guy, maybe his health is going down? Would be a perfect scenario for Turgeon to want to come and coach here, regardless of pay.

That being said, Turgeon would not really be a wow hire to me. He would *probably* be an upgrade, provided he could still recruit out here. He really should have like a top 3 recruiting base in the Big 10 right now. He didn’t do horrible at Wichita, but not as good as Maryland, and it’s a much different conference, but we do have facilities. My #1 would be Nate Oats.

I can’t stand people who declare coach’s mind sets of “never wanting to come coach here” You have no idea what is going on in their personal lives or head space, the type of goals they have, on or off the court. Turgeon’s dad is probably not a young guy, maybe his health is going down? Would be a perfect scenario for Turgeon to want to come and coach here, regardless of pay.

That being said, Turgeon would not really be a wow hire to me. He would *probably* be an upgrade, provided he could still recruit out here. He didn’t do horrible at Wichita, but not as good as Maryland, and it’s a much different conference, but we do have facilities. My #1 would be Nate Oats.

Wait...some people WANT to be closer to their family??? hahaha

I can’t stand people who declare coach’s mind sets of “never wanting to come coach here” You have no idea what is going on in their personal lives or head space, the type of goals they have, on or off the court.
You're right, but we're just having a discussion. If we were Moos we could pick up the phone and call his agent and ask whoever we want if they're interested. Since we can't do that we have a conversation about what we "think".

Reactions: blackshirts4life339

That being said, Turgeon would not really be a wow hire to me. He would *probably* be an upgrade, provided he could still recruit out here. He really should have like a top 3 recruiting base in the Big 10 right now. He didn’t do horrible at Wichita, but not as good as Maryland, and it’s a much different conference, but we do have facilities. My #1 would be Nate Oats.
Of course I have no idea what's going on in Turgeon's personal life or what his priorities are. That's why I would never say that it's a perfect scenario for him to become the coach at Nebraska based solely on the fact that his dad lives in Lincoln.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT