ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P. UL Washington

Sorry to hear this. He and Frank White were products of that baseball academy the Royals created in the early 70s, to try to mold great athletes who hadn’t played much baseball into MLB players.

I was certain UL would be a star - shows how much I knew. But he did carve out a decent career.

I am not a big Royals or even pro baseball fan but when I was junior high age the local cable company had a KC station added an they would play Royals games, I really got into it.
If pressed ld bet I can name most if not all the starters after all these years. Here are names I remember.
John Mayberry
Willie Wilson
Fred Patek
George Brett
Clint Hurdle
Al Hrabosky( what a character, maybe the funnest to watch baseball player ever)
Brett Saberhagen
Cookie Rojas

What was the name of the pitcher who went something like 19-19 every year? Blonde, bespectacled?

Reactions: TOMHP
What was the name of the pitcher who went something like 19-19 every year? Blonde, bespectacled?
Paul Splithorff.

Great athlete who played baseball and basketball at Morningside in Sioux City. I remember him calling some Big 8 basketball games in the offseason, when he was a Royals announcer.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I am not a big Royals or even pro baseball fan but when I was junior high age the local cable company had a KC station added an they would play Royals games, I really got into it.
If pressed ld bet I can name most if not all the starters after all these years. Here are names I remember.
John Mayberry
Willie Wilson
Fred Patek
George Brett
Clint Hurdle
Al Hrabosky( what a character, maybe the funnest to watch baseball player ever)
Brett Saberhagen
Cookie Rojas

I'd have to look to be sure, but I believe UL was slughtly before that legendary staff that inc Brett Saberhagen, Danny Jackson, Bud Black, Charlie Leinbrandt (sp)? Gubizcka (sp)?? with the Quiz out of the pen....arguably top 5 staff of all time at their peak.

I'd have to look to be sure, but I believe UL was slughtly before that legendary staff that inc Brett Saberhagen, Danny Jackson, Bud Black, Charlie Leinbrandt (sp)? Gubizcka (sp)?? with the Quiz out of the pen....arguably top 5 staff of all time at their peak.
Yeah - his last year in KC was ‘84. Those guys all came up in ‘84. They made the playoffs but got smoked by Detroit. Won the WS the next year, right after UL left.

Mad Hungarian highlights. This doesn't show well it but he would walk to the back of the mound, turn his back to the pitcher and catcher and coddle the ball, sometimes saying things. When he was done, he'd smack the ball in his glove, strut to the top of the mound and deliver the ball. The physical exchange with the umpire with the baseball is hilarious in this clip.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: huntered
I grew up with the Royals in that time frame. IMO that 70's-80's period was the glory years of major league baseball. There were so many high level players and teams.

Yeah, it sucks to see he passed away. Like Lite said, you really can't forget him with that toothpick. Lol

As far as SP's go, Dennis Leoanard was one name that wasn't brought up yet. He was one of the most dominant pitchers in baseball from the mid 70's to the early 80's. He absolutely ate up innings, which led to his 2 1/2 years he missed due to injuries. Still hate it for him that he missed the 85 Series.

I'll never forget his comeback at Fenway in '86. I am pretty sure he pitched a complete game one-hitter. Pretty awesome.

Edit: Nevermind, it was at Kaufmann and was a three hitter. Still pretty awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT