ADVERTISEMENT

Husker Baseball 2018

Yikes. Gave up 14 runs to Cal Poly in the series opener.

Your guys schedule is legit though. We are 8-2 and haven't really played anyone. We UNLV this weekend, and Okie St later in the year, but no one good yet. Even if we win those, we might need to kick ass in the BIG or win the tourney again to make the NCAA.

A little late to the party, but just wanted to say that I agree with this and would add that it would certainly help, in Lincoln anyway, if the city would get off their butts and built a decent 10-12 field youth baseball complex to help draw in some quality regional competition from around the Midwest.

Hell their high school field situation is a disaster. Start there!

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
They knew they needed another TD so they were hoping to go for the win with an extra point.
We were up 8-4 at one point. Wheels came off in the 7th. Made 2 errors on 1 play that gave up 3 runs. All in all a high scoring game was kind of expected today. We didn't throw any of our regular weekend arms.

Reactions: rrthusker
Got a 4-0 shutout win today.... if anyone cares to know.
That's good to hear. Like I said before, I don't get too riled about about wins and losses in February and early March. But, you don't want the team to dig itself into an RPI hole.

Nice outing for Alvarado today. 7 innings scoreless for him. Not sure why we wouldn't start him in the first game of series though.

Nice outing for Alvarado today. 7 innings scoreless for him. Not sure why we wouldn't start him in the first game of series though.

Excellent question. Hopefully by the start of league.

One player they’re going to miss this year is Jake Meyer, who for go his Senior season to turn Pro especially with the early injuries to the Pitching staff..

Obviously they could use a Ben Miller too.

Last edited:
Reactions: davecisar
Up 22-2 right now in today's first game. 13 run innings help your cause apparently.

Up 4-0 after 1st inning of game 2. Poly has no arms left it seems.

Northwestern State 6, Huskers 2

I didn't listen to the game, but it looks like Alvarado had a pretty solid start and then the wheels came off in the 7th. Pen gave up 5 runs, but 3 were unearned.

With the pitching injuries, I think this is going to be a loooong year for NU. I don't think their new arms are ready for prime time yet.
Um, it's not just the young guys who are struggling. Waldron, Warren, Frazier, Steinhoff, Hood, Fisher and Frazier are all guys who have been in the program for a while and are struggling. I think they all have over 5 ERA's

With the pitching injuries, I think this is going to be a loooong year for NU. I don't think their new arms are ready for prime time yet.
Pitching injuries does not explain another less than stellar lineup that Erstad has put together. Assuming we don’t turn it on, after six years of Erstad ball will have won 1 league title, zero Big Ten tournaments, and one regional win vs Monmouth. To say he his tenure has been a dissapointment is an understatement.

Pitching injuries does not explain another less than stellar lineup that Erstad has put together. Assuming we don’t turn it on, after six years of Erstad ball will have won 1 league title, zero Big Ten tournaments, and one regional win vs Monmouth. To say he his tenure has been a dissapointment is an understatement.
Something isn't quit right way to much inconsistency eash year, he supposedly get good recruits but just way to much of a struggle. Time to cut ties the experiment is over really didn't work time for a real proven coach

Something isn't quit right way to much inconsistency eash year, he supposedly get good recruits but just way to much of a struggle. Time to cut ties the experiment is over really didn't work time for a real proven coach
I have no doubt Erstad is a good coach. I have no inside information but I’m afraid he tries to find 9 little Erstads and it’s just not going to happen. If he’s recruiting is fine then he has no idea how to develop players. Every year we lack pop and speed which makes you really wonder what Erstad wants from his offense. He preaches putting pressure on the defense which always just results to him saying we have to grind. His coaching talents would be better off making s jump to the majors. He would thrive there. We can dream right?

While we have some talent, we don’t recruit nearly enough to take this program into the top twenty five. Many disagree and tell me we do have the talent. I just don’t see it consistently on the field year in and year out.

What is the minimum investment a BIG school needs to make in baseball?
That should be the dollar amount we spend and invest the savings in other programs where a BIG championship actually makes you relevant nationally.

As I have said, the BIG is a mid-major or lower conference when it comes to baseball. One team in the last 30+ years has made the CWS (final 8). Winning the BIG in baseball is akin to winning the Patriot league in basketball. It is a poor investment for the university.

While we have some talent, we don’t recruit nearly enough to take this program into the top twenty five. Many disagree and tell me we do have the talent. I just don’t see it consistently on the field year in and year out.
I would probably disagree with you years ago but you are correct. Either that or as I said, we just can’t develop talent. I still have no idea what Erstad is trying to do on offense. Very little power and speed is not a good formula. He talked a huge game upon being hired sayin we would be aggressive and that it would be straight chaos on the bathpaths. Fast forward six years we are the exact opposite and his team will bore you to tears.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT