ADVERTISEMENT

Husker Baseball 2018

Looks like there's an interesting reshuffling of the pitching staff compared to last year, and hopefully some of the new position players will give the offense a boost. Preseason poll projects NU to be second in the Big Ten, so hopefully they'll be in the hunt to repeat.

Nice 8-3 win for the BIG RED. Had some power tonight in a very large ballpark. They said it was 360 down the right field line? That is large. 420 to center I believe. Announcers said there were a few balls that would normally be homeruns at least at Haymarket. Id live to see some power from the Huskers.

We're long overdue in making the CWS. C'mon Ersty... We have a decent roster; time to pull the boys together and start dominating. Championship-caliber effort or bust.

Thanks for the updates guys. Good way to start the season. GBR!!

With the injuries to our pitching staff I’m not sure we are going to be deep enough to be have something special this year. Seems like we are either strong on the mound or in the batters box but can’t seem to put it all together. Defense looks decent, but we still struggle in moving base runners around and the fundamentals ( horrid sacrifice bunting cost us multiple runs this weekend ... as usual). Got to improve in the fundamentals, get a clutch hit now and then and cross our fingers the pitching staff (predominantly the bull pen) improve. Still very early in the season and we’ll take 3-1 the first weekend, but we did that against lower level teams within their respective conferences so we will see how it pans out.

With the injuries to our pitching staff I’m not sure we are going to be deep enough to be have something special this year. Seems like we are either strong on the mound or in the batters box but can’t seem to put it all together. Defense looks decent, but we still struggle in moving base runners around and the fundamentals ( horrid sacrifice bunting cost us multiple runs this weekend ... as usual). Got to improve in the fundamentals, get a clutch hit now and then and cross our fingers the pitching staff (predominantly the bull pen) improve. Still very early in the season and we’ll take 3-1 the first weekend, but we did that against lower level teams within their respective conferences so we will see how it pans out.
That's what I had heard too about pitching.

getting thumped by Wichita St today. 1st of a 3 game series. At least that god-awful gene stephenson is no longer there.
It’s early...but our lineup is just brutal. I can’t put my finger on it...Erstad ether struggles on the recruiting trail or development. Or both. Every year all offseason we hear how he’s the hitting coach and we have to generate more production...we start out slow naturally, heat up a bit in the middle of the schedule vs mediocre teams, and then end with a dud. With our pitching woes it’s time for Erstad’s lineup to pull their weight for a season.

Reactions: mpbrown27
It’s early...but our lineup is just brutal. I can’t put my finger on it...Erstad ether struggles on the recruiting trail or development. Or both. Every year all offseason we hear how he’s the hitting coach and we have to generate more production...we start out slow naturally, heat up a bit in the middle of the schedule vs mediocre teams, and then end with a dud. With our pitching woes it’s time for Erstad’s lineup to pull their weight for a season.
He has a great baseball mind. The word is he struggles at teaching it. There is nothing wrong with that, either. It is tough to do, especially for a guy with loads of natural talent. I truly believe he is more of a MLB manager than anything. There is tons of local baseball talent, more than any other sport. Kids can spend their summers playing basketball all they want, but not many 5'10 kids from Nebraska are going to have a basketball future. I wish more would play baseball. It offers more opportunities

Reactions: dinglefritz
We are a mid major team in a mid major baseball conference. Too much scrutiny when playing against superior competition.

These games will be of benefit when we get back in our lane and play conference games against like competition

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Awesome to see an Omaha kid, who may be a top round draft pick this summer, who had no offer from NU, have a grand slam against his home state team. Sick

Awesome to see an Omaha kid, who may be a top round draft pick this summer, who had no offer from NU, have a grand slam against his home state team. Sick
Tanner Kirk played there too.... and he was from Lincoln.

Tanner Kirk played there too.... and he was from Lincoln.
Helman, Foster and Van Skoy would have been nice to have too. I realize were not going to get them all, especially with Childress and DVH coming in here and raiding the state, but we need some of these guys to stay home. With these 4, you are talking about a possible top round draft pick, JUCO player of the year, freshman all American and a JUCO all American. All playing somewhere else and were right in our back yard.

Edit: I will say that it seems that more of an emphasis has been put on local kids for the next couple years, but they should as the state is loaded with talent right now.

Helman, Foster and Van Skoy would have been nice to have too. I realize were not going to get them all, especially with Childress and DVH coming in here and raiding the state, but we need some of these guys to stay home. With these 4, you are talking about a possible top round draft pick, JUCO player of the year, freshman all American and a JUCO all American. All playing somewhere else and were right in our back yard.

Edit: I will say that it seems that more of an emphasis has been put on local kids for the next couple years, but they should as the state is loaded with talent right now.

Hell UNO didn’t even offer Van Skoy out of high school. Not sure what everyone was looking at a couple years ago.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Hell UNO didn’t even offer Van Skoy out of high school. Not sure what everyone was looking at a couple years ago.
I don't even know what the plan is at UNO since they fired Herold. It really wouldn't surprise me if they ended up folding that program eventually.

Do you think with the change at AD and with Frost's new emphasis on JUCO recruiting that Erstad might follow suit and start beating the bushes for JUCO guys? It would seem like a logical path.

I
Do you think with the change at AD and with Frost's new emphasis on JUCO recruiting that Erstad might follow suit and start beating the bushes for JUCO guys? It would seem like a logical path.
I don't think they are against taking Juco players. I just wonder about their talent evaluation sometimes.

I

I don't think they are against taking Juco players. I just wonder about their talent evaluation sometimes.
Personally I think baseball evaluation of high schoolers would be tough just due to the wide variation of pitching and coaching at that level in our area. In the town I've lived in for the past couple of decades there was ONE kid who I coached as a grade schooler that you knew even then was going to play somewhere some day. Unfortunately he ended up at a South Dakota State and now is up and down in MLB as a relief pitcher. Nebraska didn't offer back then. He could hit and could have played anywhere on the field. One kid out of probably maybe 10,000 who have come through the kiddie ball ranks over the past couple of decades in our community.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Huskers rallied to salvage the series finale in Wichita Sunday:

Game wrap

I don't worry too much about the W-L record this time of year, but you never want to get swept.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Huskers rallied to salvage the series finale in Wichita Sunday:

Game wrap

I don't worry too much about the W-L record this time of year, but you never want to get swept.
Nice comeback to salvage one game out of the series. Hope the bats start getting hot as the season goes on.

There is tons of local baseball talent, more than any other sport. Kids can spend their summers playing basketball all they want, but not many 5'10 kids from Nebraska are going to have a basketball future. I wish more would play baseball. It offers more opportunities
A little late to the party, but just wanted to say that I agree with this and would add that it would certainly help, in Lincoln anyway, if the city would get off their butts and built a decent 10-12 field youth baseball complex to help draw in some quality regional competition from around the Midwest.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
A little late to the party, but just wanted to say that I agree with this and would add that it would certainly help, in Lincoln anyway, if the city would get off their butts and built a decent 10-12 field youth baseball complex to help draw in some quality regional competition from around the Midwest.
A freaking men. It's ridiculous, and the city makes it almost impossible to schedule a simple practice. Last year our state tourney was in Council Bluffs, Iowa. It was frustrating driving by fields in Lincoln that were sitting empty, because they refuse to get organized and get some age-appropriate fields done, with lighting. There are 2000 soccer fields being built, but no baseball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CheeseRunza
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT