ADVERTISEMENT

Husker Baseball 2018

I would probably disagree with you years ago but you are correct. Either that or as I said, we just can’t develop talent. I still have no idea what Erstad is trying to do on offense. Very little power and speed is not a good formula. He talked a huge game upon being hired sayin we would be aggressive and that it would be straight chaos on the bathpaths. Fast forward six years we are the exact opposite and his team will bore you to tears.

I really like DE but I am underwhelmed by the development of our baseball program.

One must realize, that while Big Ten schools practice baseball
inside during winter months, schools in the deep South and
West are practicing in 75 degree weather, outdoors. It makes
a big difference! That could help explain why Northern schools'
baseball teams do not do well in CWS play.

I would probably disagree with you years ago but you are correct. Either that or as I said, we just can’t develop talent. I still have no idea what Erstad is trying to do on offense. Very little power and speed is not a good formula. He talked a huge game upon being hired sayin we would be aggressive and that it would be straight chaos on the bathpaths. Fast forward six years we are the exact opposite and his team will bore you to tears.
Erstad coaches nothing like the way he played. He was a redass on the field, but really has no philosophy. His teams don't really hit for power and really don't have any speed and his idea of small ball is station to station bunting. My idea of small ball is bunting for singles, stealing bases, hit and run, etc. We really do none of that. I was underwhelmed by his hire, but understood it at the time. I'm still underwhelmed and think it's time for a change. If anyone thinks his conference championship is an upward trajectory needs to look at his postseason record the last 3 years. 1-6 in the B10 tourney and 0-4 in the NCAA tourney with 3 of the 4 losses to Yale, Holy Cross and Western Carolina.

Last edited:

of course this is one, if not the main reason ... maybe in a century or two global warming will change this ... but until then the weather isn't going to change. We shouldn't be spending like a power conference on the baseball program

I've noticed that many of the BIG 10 schools are in the North. So I would be happy if we just won that regularly.

Um, it's not just the young guys who are struggling. Waldron, Warren, Frazier, Steinhoff, Hood, Fisher and Frazier are all guys who have been in the program for a while and are struggling. I think they all have over 5 ERA's
no doubt but with the injuries when your starters struggle you end up having to get more innings from inexperienced arms. We lost a couple of guys who we were counting on for a lot of quality innings. Honestly I've been busier than hell so I haven't followed it as closely the past couple of weeks but when the season started out with those injured pitchers I thought then that we were probably screwed unless somebody gave us unexpected mound help.

It's interesting that our spark last year was a kid like Mojo who was not exactly Erstad's prize recruit. Do we have a talent development problem or is it a scouting and talent evaluation problem?

It’s 77 and sunny today in South Louisiana. Mom sent me a picture of a blizzard by Ames. This is very true

lost 2-0 today. lost the series. lost the sunday streak. ugh
The series loss would be easier to take if NU wasn't staring at nine road games in a row. Need to at least tread water over the next couple of weeks until the schedule gets more favorable.

Lol I love no one bit. A couple Iowa fans tried to take the Husker baseball thread over and fly Iowa Suckeyes into the talk. This is how we need to handle them all the time...even with football talk...just completely ignore the Suckeyes talk, bragging and chest trumping. Why Iowa fans come to a Husker board to try and talk about there crap team is beyond me. (And yes, even if we are down and Iowa’s up, there still a crap team ;))

Reactions: SOHusker11
Huskers making a rare appearance on Big Ten Network this evening. Just underway in Columbus.

Huskers leading 5-3, with two outs in the bottom of the 8th. Alvarado scuffled early but ended up having a great outing, going 7.2 innings. Just need four outs from the closer to send home disappointed the 12 Buckeyes fans in attendance.

NU adds some insurance runs to go up 7-3, top 9. Looking good for a series-opening win.

Huskers up 3-1 in the 4th today. Hold this lead, and it would be a nice road series win and a bit of a bounceback from a disappointing week.

Yikes - Warren pulled in favor of Fisher, and the results were not good. Buckeyes now up 5-3 after 4.

Usually 19 hits, 5 walks and 3 hitters reaching by an error will win you a game - even on a Sunday.

This team may not make it to Omaha. I’m sure Erstad is untouchable which is very unfortunate for the future of our baseball program.

Only one big ten team in the last 33 years has made it to Omaha. I’d say it is a pretty safe bet that we aren’t going to make it to the CWS. The future of our baseball team went in the toilet once we joined the big. Overall a good move - but we moved from a power baseball comference to a mid major conference at best.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Only one big ten team in the last 33 years has made it to Omaha. I’d say it is a pretty safe bet that we aren’t going to make it to the CWS. The future of our baseball team went in the toilet once we joined the big. Overall a good move - but we moved from a power baseball comference to a mid major conference at best.
Yeah, I meant Omaha as in the Big Ten tournament.

Reactions: schuele and jlb321
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT