ADVERTISEMENT

How we looking with Hornsby?

I heard that he was the backup at Arkansas. But when the starter got hurt, they started the third team QB instead. I think they pegged Hornsby as a guy who could run a package of running plays but not much more. Unless we're going to run the ball 80% of the time, I don't think he's a good fit.

Make him a wide receiver. He would be fantastic, but probably won’t go for it. Worth a shot.

Reactions: jkeb
I would think rhule would look at the qb's we currently have, see the film last year on what the qb's did.
then rhule will have to make a decision on what his offense will be with his oc...

I would'nt get rid of thompson unless NU is going to run the qb alot. (pass qb)
I would'nt get rid of smothers unless we are going to pass alot.. (run qb)

all the rest of the qb's did'nt show anything last year.
and I would have no problem with getting this hornby to replace any of them..

whipple and frost have left the building...this fact alone tells me we will probably run more
I would defintly go with sims, and hornsby...unless someone else pops up in the portal
thats better and has 2 years to play. (then tell the deadest wood at qb to portal it)

in my mind I'm thinking rhule wants a rg 3, a pass/run qb, as opposed to a run/pass qb

Reactions: NikkiSixx and WHCSC
Other than Casey, what has any of the other QB's showed us what they can do.

Get this kid in here and let him F'ing run all day. Give him some high % passes, set him up for success. Control the los, control the clock, good defense and go to a frickin bowl game next year.

Rhule has said as much, he wants to develop players. Hopefully we get a good highschool kid who can sling it in the near future and runz as well.

Im just tired of having our azz handed to us every weekend. I expect no quick fix, but If this kid can ball, let's go!

We have 1 quarterback on the roster (Casey - way too small)

We have 1 dead carcass who makes the team worse the second he takes the field (purdy)

We have a perpetual high school junior who has proven he does not have what it takes & hasn’t put on an ounce in 3 years (smothers)

Then we have some tall guys with big arms who are compete unknowns (Torres, Haarberg) + that walkon whose name I forget

Get rid of the 2 “backups” - they suck. Embarrassingly bad. Replace them with a transfer + high school kid

Or get rid of them and don’t replace them at all for all I care. Just get their asses off the payroll

We have 1 dead carcass who makes the team worse the second he takes the field (purdy)

We have a perpetual high school junior who has proven he does not have what it takes & hasn’t put on an ounce in 3 years (smothers)

Then we have some tall guys with big arms who are compete unknowns (Torres, Haarberg) + that walkon whose name I forget

Get rid of the 2 “backups” - they suck. Embarrassingly bad. Replace them with a transfer + high school kid

Or get rid of them and don’t replace them at all for all I care. Just get their asses off the payroll
I actually saw a ray of hope with Purdy against Michigan.

He looks good albeit most of the highlights were 4th Q blowouts one way or the other. Hard to judge. But he fast, we need that.

Reactions: jsachisler
How much of Luke was Luke and how much was Mario? I suppose it was mostly Lule or he wouldve ended up a qb at one of his other 4 stops

I heard that he was the backup at Arkansas. But when the starter got hurt, they started the third team QB instead. I think they pegged Hornsby as a guy who could run a package of running plays but not much more. Unless we're going to run the ball 80% of the time, I don't think he's a good fit.
He might play other positions.

Torres rushed for 276 his junior year and 76 in his injury-shortened senior year. Hard to tell what the Rhule offense will look like at this point, but I'm assuming they want a little more of a dual threat than what Torres has to offer.

Haarberg rushed for 556 as a senior and 426 his junior year. He looks like a bit of a long strider on his tape. He seems to be able to make the throws and has a cannon arm. I always wondered why he couldn't climb the depth chart. Maybe the college game is too fast for him, or maybe the big stage is too big for him, or maybe he just isn't that good. Or....maybe he didn't respond well to Mario's 26-page BS tests and maybe he never got a chance being stuck behind two of Frost's handpicked guys (Adrian and Logan) and two of Whipple's handpicked guys (Thompson and Purdy). Maybe he will do better with a new start this year as long as he doesn't get stuck behind a couple of Rhule's handpicked guys. We'll see.

I wonder if they’re going to wait until after the spring practices to process some of the QBs on the roster right now (and when we have a QB coach in place to evaluate all of them). Not sure how the numbers game would work for this but might be a possibility.

Last edited:
Torres rushed for 276 his junior year and 76 in his injury-shortened senior year. Hard to tell what the Rhule offense will look like at this point, but I'm assuming they want a little more of a dual threat than what Torres has to offer.

Haarberg rushed for 556 as a senior and 426 his junior year. He looks like a bit of a long strider on his tape. He seems to be able to make the throws and has a cannon arm. I always wondered why he couldn't climb the depth chart. Maybe the college game is too fast for him, or maybe the big stage is too big for him, or maybe he just isn't that good. Or....maybe he didn't respond well to Mario's 26-page BS tests and maybe he never got a chance being stuck behind two of Frost's handpicked guys (Adrian and Logan) and two of Whipple's handpicked guys (Thompson and Purdy). Maybe he will do better with a new start this year as long as he doesn't get stuck behind a couple of Rhule's handpicked guys. We'll see.
Ok, I know it is fashionable to opine for the backup QB so declaring coach favorites makes people feel better I guess.

On a serious note, when Martinez was struggling the battle cry was for Luke and we saw where that ended up. Turned out Luke was no QB and not just by Nebraska standards. Then you have Casey and of course either of his back ups would be better. All we heard was dump Purdy and give us Smothers and since that happened, it's been crickets.

I know this is a stretch but is it at all possible that the coaches played the best players they had?

Last edited:

He showed in the spring game the stage isn’t too big

Very much think it had to do with the previous coaching staff (said at the time the only reason we got him was bc he happened to live in a place nobody looks for D1 players)

Glad to hear Rhule is already intrigued. Kid’s a 6’5” adonis straight from star QB central casting - I would be, too

Reactions: BleedRed78
Ok, I know it is fashionable to opine for the backup QB so declaring coach favorites makes people feel better I guess.

On a serious note, when Martinez was struggling thr battle cry was for Luke and we saw where that ended up. Turned out Luke was no QB and not just by Nebraska standards. Then you have Casey and of course either of his back ups would be better. All we heard was dump Purdy and give us Smothers and since that happened, it's been crickets.

I know this is a stretch but is it at all possible that the coaches played the best players they had?
Sorry I made you angry. I allowed that Haarberg might not be that good, might not have it mentally, might not be able to deal with the college speed of the game, etc. It's just his HS film looked really good, so maybe, just maybe part of his problem was his coaching development and/or not getting a fair shot. No one can convince me that Whipple wrongly played Purdy because he was his guy when inserting Smothers and calling plays to suit him would have been better.

Just heard Cowherd say no one thought Hurts could throw until he played for Lincoln Riley. He also its all about finding QBs with arm talent and using the throws they can make. I can't see Rhule and Satterfield being interested in this guy unless they see the potential to develop his throwing. That, plus the fact that he sounds like he's willing to redshirt if CT comes back = I'm in.

On a serious note, when Martinez was struggling thr battle cry was for Luke and we saw where that ended up. Turned out Luke was no QB and not just by Nebraska standards. Then you have Casey and of course either of his back ups would be better. All we heard was dump Purdy and give us Smothers and since that happened, it's been crickets.

When CT got hurt, did NU really have a choice but to play backups? When Martinez got hurt, the choice was to play a backup.

Because the backups sucked is the reflection on the coach(s).

He showed in the spring game the stage isn’t too big

Very much think it had to do with the previous coaching staff (said at the time the only reason we got him was bc he happened to live in a place nobody looks for D1 players)

Glad to hear Rhule is already intrigued. Kid’s a 6’5” adonis straight from star QB central casting - I would be, too
Nice post...until you got to the last sentence. You kinda went off the rail there. LOL

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Just heard Cowherd say no one thought Hurts could throw until he played for Lincoln Riley. He also its all about finding QBs with arm talent and using the throws they can make. I can't see Rhule and Satterfield being interested in this guy unless they see the potential to develop his throwing. That, plus the fact that he sounds like he's willing to redshirt if CT comes back = I'm in.
In all honesty, at Bama, I gave Hurts ZERO chance of ever being an NFL QB, let alone a starter, let alone a star.

I've seen enough of where this kid's arm slot is to know there is a LOT more in this arm than what he's been showing. In the limited film of him throwing, he seems to be the man of 100 motions, lol. If they are able to get this slot corrected, he could surprise people with how well he "might" throw. No two motions or deliveries look the same.

Of course, NU had difficulty getting TMart to throw the ball with any consistency. When the heat is on, they revert back to what comes naturally to them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT