ADVERTISEMENT

How we looking with Hornsby?

Haarberg rushed for 556 as a senior and 426 his junior year. He looks like a bit of a long strider on his tape. He seems to be able to make the throws and has a cannon arm. I always wondered why he couldn't climb the depth chart. Maybe the college game is too fast for him, or maybe the big stage is too big for him, or maybe he just isn't that good. Or....maybe he didn't respond well to Mario's 26-page BS tests and maybe he never got a chance being stuck behind two of Frost's handpicked guys (Adrian and Logan) and two of Whipple's handpicked guys (Thompson and Purdy). Maybe he will do better with a new start this year as long as he doesn't get stuck behind a couple of Rhule's handpicked guys. We'll see.

There is a huge difference between Class C-1 Nebraska HS Football, and Big Ten D-I football.

Just look at Frost, he was considered a Parade All-American at HS coming out of Wood River, but his first two years at Stanford was a very mediocre QB, I think he only completed 40% of this passes. It's a big adjustment to this level.

There is a huge difference between Class C-1 Nebraska HS Football, and Big Ten D-I football.

Just look at Frost, he was considered a Parade All-American at HS coming out of Wood River, but his first two years at Stanford was a very mediocre QB, I think he only completed 40% of this passes. It's a big adjustment to this level.
With the way NU's OL has been a sieve, it's probably in HH's best interest to have been a bench warmer. Otherwise, we might be able to add him to the walking wounded like CT, Smothers, and Purdy.

Frost left Stanford playing defensive back..

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Sorry I made you angry. I allowed that Haarberg might not be that good, might not have it mentally, might not be able to deal with the college speed of the game, etc. It's just his HS film looked really good, so maybe, just maybe part of his problem was his coaching development and/or not getting a fair shot. No one can convince me that Whipple wrongly played Purdy because he was his guy when inserting Smothers and calling plays to suit him would have been better.
I don't get angry, but the fact you said that proves my point.

It was obvious, to me anyway, no matter who was in there was going to struggle aside from Casey. The drop off was significant after him. Adjusting play calling doesn't automatically make up for poor execution. But keep thinking if the right play for the eight guy is called, it will work out. There are 11 guys out there.

Is he at least as adept as Taylor Martinez? Any less so, and I'm a hard pass
I'd take this kid in a heartbeat. He has the type of speed that can be translated into multiple positions on the field.

He has that same type 5 yard explosiveness at QB as TMart and Lamar Jackson in college.

Make a mistake and they're gone.

If NU can sign him and spend the vast majority of his early time by working on his mechanics to develop consistency they can spend very little time working with him on running the ball. That's his natural talent, and it's not going anywhere.

Maybe he's a kid who just doesn't translate drills with continued improvement in his throwing motion. But, it's not unusual for the right coach to get ahold of him and begin the process of getting his mechanics corrected.

Why can't the Huskers have a complete quarterback? The Huskers have been awful for so long and now they are recruiting a quarterback who can't throw. I don't understand why any coach would handicap the team with a one-dimensional quarterback. This doesn't get me excited about the new staff's recruiting.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Why can't the Huskers have a complete quarterback? The Huskers have been awful for so long and now they are recruiting a quarterback who can't throw. I don't understand why any coach would handicamp the team with a one-dimensional quarterback. This doesn't get me excited about the new staff's recruiting.
I understand your reluctance, but when you look at his high school stats he could throw, so not sure what happened at Arkansas. This staff feels like they can make him a better thrower. Looks like we’ll see out of the blocks how good this staff is going to be at developing players.

That's a good article.

This jumps off the page, and is beyond concerning if we are looking at him at QB:

"The deeper issue is that he doesn’t escape as easily from pressure when the pocket is collapsing around him as you would assume given his world-class track speed."

Why can't the Huskers have a complete quarterback? The Huskers have been awful for so long and now they are recruiting a quarterback who can't throw. I don't understand why any coach would handicap the team with a one-dimensional quarterback. This doesn't get me excited about the new staff's recruiting.
By all means, let's not have the Huskers make a mistake on a kid with world-class speed. It makes so much more sense to carry Smothers and Purdy who can't accurately throw the ball across my living room.

I hope NU signs this kid. If he can't be developed for whatever reasons, this kid has the type of physical tools that can be made to be a helluva asset in a football program coming off of 6 straight losing seasons.

Now is the time to be picky. Right?

I'd say because we went a couple decades just asking a qb to hit a pass every 8th play...
(I'm by passing callahan here cause he got ganz)
then we have bo, riley and scott....I guess riley had some ok qb's at oregon state..

but bo, riley and scott either did'nt have a eye for recruiting a qb..
or the qb's they wanted cost too much...

bo, riley and scott don't seem like the bill snyder type coach who manages to find a qb that can run *AND* pass sufficantly.

bo, riley and scott also did'nt seem like they could pay a good qb enough.

thusly, hopefully rhule is a bit different then bo, riley and scott...in that he can find a qb to run his offense better then bo, riley and scott...

personaly I don't care if the qb gets can't pass or run...as long as he gets WINS that bo (bo got some), riley and scott could'nt.

creig sunburg was not joe montana....but he could WIN games unlike bo, riley and scott

so lets hope rhule knows his offense and what qb would work in it..better the bo, riley and scott.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
By all means, let's not have the Huskers make a mistake on a kid with world-class speed. It makes so much more sense to carry Smothers and Purdy who can't accurately throw the ball across my living room.

I hope NU signs this kid. If he can't be developed for whatever reasons, this kid has the type of physical tools that can be made to be a helluva asset in a football program coming off of 6 straight losing seasons.

Now is the time to be picky. Right?
I am not sure what you are saying, but Smothers and Purdy are very good examples of flawed quarterbacks who have proven they can’t be relied on to win games. Both are severely flawed. I personally don’t understand why they were ever offered a scholarship. Purdy, was only signed by Frost because he was a one time recruit of Florida State’s (he is not his older brother, that is for sure). Why are we fans so accepting of the recruitment of a quarterback who can’t pass accurately? The take that Rhule can develop him into a good quarterback seems to me a lot of extra effort. Get a quarterback who already possesses great skills and make him even better. Football is all about the quarterback and Nebraska hasn’t had one with the exception of Ganz for about twenty years.

Build the lines. Run the ball. Play action pass. Run the ball so effectively there is nobody within 20 yards of a receiver or TE so it doesn't matter if the QB isn't the best at passing the ball.

It's as easy as that.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I am not sure what you are saying, but Smothers and Purdy are very good examples of flawed quarterbacks who have proven they can’t be relied on to win games. Both are severely flawed. I personally don’t understand why they were ever offered a scholarship. Purdy, was only signed by Frost because he was a one time recruit of Florida State’s (he is not his older brother, that is for sure). Why are we fans so accepting of the recruitment of a quarterback who can’t pass accurately? The take that Rhule can develop him into a good quarterback seems to me a lot of extra effort. Get a quarterback who already possesses great skills and make him even better. Football is all about the quarterback and Nebraska hasn’t had one with the exception of Ganz for about twenty years.
Since it's not your time or effort why would you worry about it?

The previous staff wasted collectively 12 years trying to develop 5-6 QBs with ZERO return on time investment.

Rhule gets to do what he wants to do, with or without your approval.

QBs who already possess great skills aren't in abundance.

Look at the 4 Heisman finalists. The only complete QB with great skill among the four is Caleb Williams.

Smothers and Purdy are simply QBs. They don't have the physical tools to be converted to a WR, DB, Kickoff, or punt returner.

At least Hornsby offers the possibility of an upside if he can't be a QB at NU.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to know why Arkansas hasn't had this guy on the field more in the slot or at WR.

Would be interesting to know why Arkansas hasn't had this guy on the field more in the slot or at WR.
From what the article said he prefers to be a QB..Watched the LSU game he wasn’t very accurate passer..LSU had a edge rusher who sacked him 3 times..

Was a ugly game LSU won 13-10 after they beat Alabama the week before..

I’m saying my prayers and preparing to sacrifice a chicken if it means Casey comes back. Best QB we’ve had here in years. I think him staying in Rhules first year will be crucial in the transition. We won’t win 3 games with any other QB on our roster. I still think Haarburg is the biggest waste of scholarship I’ve ever seen.

You do have to wonder why there's no certainty yet about Thompson either coming back or leaving. Him keeping it so quiet and undecided leads me to think he's seriously thinking about not returning. Maybe waiting to see how the surgery goes. If he was leaning toward coming back though you'd think he'd declare that intent now so the coaching staff wouldn't have an incentive to go after transfer QB competition. Just my thought process.

I still think Haarburg is the biggest waste of scholarship I’ve ever seen.
Why? I don't know anything about him except his HS film and Spring Game performance and all that looked good. Did you see him play in HS or do you have some other awareness to form your opinion the scholly was wasted?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Why? I don't know anything about him except his HS film and Spring Game performance and all that looked good. Did you see him play in HS or do you have some other awareness to form your opinion the scholly was wasted?
It’s just my opinion, but If he’s been in the program as long as he has, was passed by Purdy, and our Walk On QB from Hastings who was listed behind Purdy on the depth chart tells me he’s not doing near enough in practice. If he’s not showing anything yet to even make QB 3, then I think that’s what we’re going to get. I’ve also seen many posts that his arm is strong but he really struggles with accuracy. Maybe some new coaching would help, but that’s how I feel now.

I would not want this kid as QB. Flyer, yes.

We don't have the luxury of time hoping he can gain the qb skills he needed to master several years ago. Too much risk.

• Wow
Reactions: BleedRed78
I’m saying my prayers and preparing to sacrifice a chicken if it means Casey comes back. Best QB we’ve had here in years. I think him staying in Rhules first year will be crucial in the transition. We won’t win 3 games with any other QB on our roster. I still think Haarburg is the biggest waste of scholarship I’ve ever seen.
How does anyone know anything about Haarburg? We've never seen him in a real game. I can't believe he can be worse than Purdy. Purdy is an accident waiting to happen. I am hoping Chubba enters the transfer portal. He can be closer to his family and brother if he joins Nevada, UNLV or Fresno State. UNLV has a new staff with Barry Odom in charge. Let the Rebels have him.

How does anyone know anything about Haarburg? We've never seen him in a real game. I can't believe he can be worse than Purdy. Purdy is an accident waiting to happen. I am hoping Chubba enters the transfer portal. He can be closer to his family and brother if he joins Nevada, UNLV or Fresno State. UNLV has a new staff with Barry Odom in charge. Let the Rebels have him.
I agree. Purdy was brutal this year, and I agree that he can’t be depended on to win games. I spoke about HH a little more above, but has been in the program two years and is 3 spots behind Purdy on the depth chart. If you’re a that far down to where walk ons are passing you on the chart, then something just isn’t right.

I wish he'd enter the portal too. But if he does, doesn't he have sit a year since it would be his second transfer?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT