ADVERTISEMENT

How many still want to fire Hoiberg

To be fair, his first 3 seasons were so awful that he deserved to be fired. And I think he would have been fired in 2022 had he not won those last three road games at Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Penn State to end the season. Before then, he was headed for one of the worst three-year stretches in college basketball history.

Getting rid of that douche Matt Abdelmassih was the main catalyst for turning the program around. And also realizing that you have to be able to play defense and rebound to win in the Big Ten.

Getting rid of that douche Matt Abdelmassih was the main catalyst for turning the program around. And also realizing that you have to be able to play defense and rebound to win in the Big Ten.
And your players need to move without the ball. NU's offense in many of those past seasons was stagnant and just painful to watch.

Something clicked with this team when Derrick Walker rejoined them after sitting out those early games last year. They went from a nearly unwatchable my-turn-to-shoot team to a group that shares the ball and often plays beyond their athletic ability. Whatever it was that clicked, I'm glad it happened.

So far he has accomplished less than Miles

I laugh at these way too soon revisionist threads

Is Fred’s winning % still dead last in NU history counting this year? If not it’s close

He should stay on his current deal. This year warrants zero extension

Is Fred’s winning % still dead last in NU history counting this year? If not it’s close

Clearly Hoiberg is a winner. He makes his team better. Guess that only matters for you with bad QBs?

It was definitely not an unreasonable position to believe he should have been fired - objectively, he probably would have been pretty much anywhere else. But, good for him for what they've done this year, and hopefully will continue to do.

Reactions: king_kong_
Clearly Hoiberg is a winner. He makes his team better. Guess that only matters for you with bad QBs?
Would you care to compare his career record at NU with Haarberg’s?

It’s year 5. Very similar B1G that Miles navigated to a tourney birth.

I’m having fun watching this team. But I’m not delusional. I expect to be at least on the bubble every season and make an occasional run when we get there.

Again, if hoiberg has been able to drop the distinguished honor of biggest loser in the history of the worst P5 program, it’s just barely happened.

“Winner”. LOL. He’s got a long way to go.

And your players need to move without the ball. NU's offense in many of those past seasons was stagnant and just painful to watch.

Something clicked with this team when Derrick Walker rejoined them after sitting out those early games last year. They went from a nearly unwatchable my-turn-to-shoot team to a group that shares the ball and often plays beyond their athletic ability. Whatever it was that clicked, I'm glad it happened.
^^^^^^ moving without the ball and defense. Sam has been a very instrumental part of this. Someone able to come off the bench and get it done pushes the other guys.

Now that we've had some success and broke the mold maybe this breeds more success

Would you care to compare his career record at NU with Haarberg’s?

It’s year 5. Very similar B1G that Miles navigated to a tourney birth.

I’m having fun watching this team. But I’m not delusional. I expect to be at least on the bubble every season and make an occasional run when we get there.

Again, if hoiberg has been able to drop the distinguished honor of biggest loser in the history of the worst P5 program, it’s just barely happened.

“Winner”. LOL. He’s got a long way to go.
He didn't win at Iowa St.?

Nebraska men's BBall has had seven 20-win seasons and he has 1 of them.

I say keep him.
Where are you getting your information? Danny Nee had 7 20 win seasons himself. Tim miles had one Doc Sadler had one.
All of those guys ended up fired.

I agree no extension should be given yet. Also the original post uses incorrect information. The truth is this is the 13th 20 win season but oh well let’s just say it’s 7 to make Fred look better.
Can Fred come back next year and do it again? Then give him an extension.

Where are you getting your information? Danny Nee had 7 20 win seasons himself. Tim miles had one Doc Sadler had one.
They said it on the broadcast. I think they screwed up because that's how many tournaments we've been to.

He deserved to be fired but I'm happy for him, it's nice to see a good guy get the success he deserves.

No he didn't. The man took over the worst program in High Major Basketball at the onset of the pandemic. Year one was always going to suck. Year two was a nightmare for any new coach.

He should only be judged from year 3 on. The man is 46-44 since that time and about earn a Tourney Bid.

They said it on the broadcast. I think they screwed up because that's how many tournaments we've been to.
Ah, I see. Broadcasters sometimes make mistakes lol. It’s the 13th 20 win season. The other 5 coaches that had 20 win season(s) all eventually got fired. Nee had 7 out of his 12 years with 20 wins and it turned into not good enough. He became a victim of his own success. So I think the people saying Hoiberg can retire at NU if he chooses probably need to tap the brakes.

Fred clearly has figured out the secret sauce for Nebraska. I think he continues to recruit to that and hopefully he keeps it rolling. As long as we have a respectable team, no one will give a shit. Get to the tourney consistently and the state will be happy. Let's keep it rolling! GBR,.

Ah, I see. Broadcasters sometimes make mistakes lol. It’s the 13th 20 win season. The other 5 coaches that had 20 win season(s) all eventually got fired. Nee had 7 out of his 12 years with 20 wins and it turned into not good enough. He became a victim of his own success. So I think the people saying Hoiberg can retire at NU if he chooses probably need to tap the brakes.
Nee had some personal issues with his wife that also was behind his termination

• Wow
Reactions: ssmill777
Fred clearly has figured out the secret sauce for Nebraska. I think he continues to recruit to that and hopefully he keeps it rolling. As long as we have a respectable team, no one will give a shit. Get to the tourney consistently and the state will be happy. Let's keep it rolling! GBR,.
Ketchup and mayonnaise...says Brad Hamilton

We are having a much better season than I expected but when/if we get in the tournament and don't win a game, did we really get any better?

I think we can win a game for the record, but they still have to make it happen.
I don’t have hope for much tournament success because in general Big Ten teams just don’t for whatever reasons. Yes Michigan Michigan state Wisconsin have had final 4 runs but look at Iowa, Purdue for example as upper seeds don’t make it past game 1 or 2. I think if we win 1 game we will win 3 or 4 nothing in between !

I saw that 20 win stat on Sunday and it didn’t sound right. This is the 12th 20 win season by my count. Maybe they meant 20 wins in the regular season? We probably passed the 20 win mark by stacking some NIT wins a few times, because Lord knows we didn’t pass the mark winning any conference tournament games.

Fred was given some additional time not only due to the significant buyout but don't forget from whence Fred and Trev came from. Two big time success stories that grew up in central Iowa and are close in age. Fred was the best athlete coming out of high school in Iowa. His best sport was basketball but T.O. made multiple trips to Ames to try to convince him to come to Nebraska and be a dual option QB. Don't forget both of Fred's parents are UNL grads. At the same time Trev was an All-American DE at UNL and from Cedar Falls, Iowa. These two go way back and have a lot of respect for each other. Plus they are both high character human beings. Something that some of our head coaches and AD's were lacking.

No he didn't. The man took over the worst program in High Major Basketball at the onset of the pandemic. Year one was always going to suck. Year two was a nightmare for any new coach.

He should only be judged from year 3 on. The man is 46-44 since that time and about earn a Tourney Bid.
It's amazing what a little context does

Letting that one assistant coach go and no longer recruiter highly rated “me only” players has made the major difference in my opinion. Does today’s team have the overall talent of 2-3 years ago? No but the current guys are team players.

He got it from the broadcast and it was correct, if you had listened to what they had said then you would be more well informed. They said Nebraska had only won 20 games in the regular season 7 times. If you add in post season wins (Conf. Tour., NIT, NCAA) yes we have had more than seven 20 win seasons.

Hoiberg took over a program that had won 22 and 19 games in the 2 years prior to him arriving. Both NIT teams. His predecessor was over .500 here. (Actual context)

He then sunk it back to worst in all of P5 with astonishing speed.

Its amazing how much losing some fans will not just endure but celebrate.

Last edited:
Covid scheduling killed us that one year. We were playing 3 games/week at times. He’s done the unimaginable at NU knocking off multiple top 10 teams.
Unimaginable? Beating an overrated Purdue and wisc team at home isn’t unimaginable, nor is it noteworthy compared to multiple predecessors.

Unimaginable would be a sweet 16.

Reactions: IM4NUalways
I know a serious argument could have been made for firing Hoiberg before this season. But I was never for it. I felt he had what it takes, and the struggles were due to the curse that is Nebraska basketball. I wasn’t sure he could overcome the curse, but wanted him to keep being the one to try.

I’ll be so glad if they can win a tourney game this year.

Reactions: leodisflowers
He got it from the broadcast and it was correct, if you had listened to what they had said then you would be more well informed. They said Nebraska had only won 20 games in the regular season 7 times. If you add in post season wins (Conf. Tour., NIT, NCAA) yes we have had more than seven 20 win seasons.
That’s not what he typed though. What if I didn’t see the broadcast? Stop acting like what he said is correct as written. All you are doing is argue just to argue and be an instigator.

Ehhh, is that really laying a foundation?

How many starters are guys that were here 3-4 years ago?

I think more than laying a foundation is that he finally figured out how to use the portal.

The "new" tactic is to get old dudes.

Illinois did it...got a guy that has played in 140 games...got another guy that has scored 2000 points in CBB...

The portal lets you find guys that are 21-22 years old, grown up, have played tons of minutes and just want to win. Not an 18 year old freshmen that has no college experience, doesn't have that college body.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT