ADVERTISEMENT

How many still want to fire Hoiberg

Ehhh, is that really laying a foundation?

How many starters are guys that were here 3-4 years ago?

I think more than laying a foundation is that he finally figured out how to use the portal.

The "new" tactic is to get old dudes.

Illinois did it...got a guy that has played in 140 games...got another guy that has scored 2000 points in CBB...

The portal lets you find guys that are 21-22 years old, grown up, have played tons of minutes and just want to win. Not an 18 year old freshmen that has no college experience, doesn't have that college body.
Hoiberg had a reputation for relying on transfers at ISU.

Reactions: huskerfan66
If NU makes the sweet 16...you will see Omaha turn into the biggest Nebrasketball town in seconds...the jay love will be gone for that week...
Well they’ll be doing it right alongside Creighton in all likelihood

Reactions: zrob
Hoiberg took over a program that had won 22 and 19 games in the 2 years prior to him arriving. Both NIT teams. His predecessor was over .500 here. (Actual context)

He then sunk it back to worst in all of P5 with astonishing speed.

Its amazing how much losing some fans will not just endure but celebrate.

Unimaginable? Beating an overrated Purdue and wisc team at home isn’t unimaginable, nor is it noteworthy compared to multiple predecessors.

Unimaginable would be a sweet 16.

He took over a joke of a program which was poorly constructed with no recruiting prowess. The previous coach had zero ability to build depth, and no chance to consistently compete even in the marginal Big Ten, let alone nationally.

Miles and even Sadler before were placing band-aids on the program by trying to win games with teams centered around 2 to 3 front line stars and then players 4,5,6, and 7 who couldn't fit into a rotation for 12 other teams in the conference.

Hoiberg knew that in order to be a legit program, he needed versatility and depth. He had to blow the whole thing up. He did that, and then the Pandemic strikes which absolutely dealt him a ridiculous hand. It backed his clock up almost to a stagnant restarting point for 18 months.

College Basketball is also a weird animal where the recruiting cycle is sometimes a 3 or 4 year cycle. High major players are identified early. You either need to be on those guys from the beginning, or have a bead on targeting older and more complete transfers.

Fred has been able to do both.

What's crazy about this roster is they will likely go into 2024-25 with Brice Williams, Gary, Mast, Lawerence, and Eli Rice all coming back. Uhlis will be eligible again as a true point guard while 4-Star PG Nick Jankowski will going the fray. We can also imagine that Hoiberg will probably have 2 or 3 more impact transfers to join the team as well, including a big man.

Ehhh, is that really laying a foundation?

How many starters are guys that were here 3-4 years ago?

I think more than laying a foundation is that he finally figured out how to use the portal.

The "new" tactic is to get old dudes.

Illinois did it...got a guy that has played in 140 games...got another guy that has scored 2000 points in CBB...

The portal lets you find guys that are 21-22 years old, grown up, have played tons of minutes and just want to win. Not an 18 year old freshmen that has no college experience, doesn't have that college body.
And that is why he gets Chucky Hepburn to transfer for next year. That or Frankie Fidler from Omaha

He took over a joke of a program which was poorly constructed with no recruiting prowess. The previous coach had zero ability to build depth, and no chance to consistently compete even in the marginal Big Ten, let alone nationally.

Miles and even Sadler before were placing band-aids on the program by trying to win games with teams centered around 2 to 3 front line stars and then players 4,5,6, and 7 who couldn't fit into a rotation for 12 other teams in the conference.

Hoiberg knew that in order to be a legit program, he needed versatility and depth. He had to blow the whole thing up. He did that, and then the Pandemic strikes which absolutely dealt him a ridiculous hand. It backed his clock up almost to a stagnant restarting point for 18 months.

College Basketball is also a weird animal where the recruiting cycle is sometimes a 3 or 4 year cycle. High major players are identified early. You either need to be on those guys from the beginning, or have a bead on targeting older and more complete transfers.

Fred has been able to do both.

What's crazy about this roster is they will likely go into 2024-25 with Brice Williams, Gary, Mast, Lawerence, and Eli Rice all coming back. Uhlis will be eligible again as a true point guard while 4-Star PG Nick Jankowski will going the fray. We can also imagine that Hoiberg will probably have 2 or 3 more impact transfers to join the team as well, including a big man.
I applaud Fred going after a couple big brothers in order to land the 5*.

He’s batting .500 in that regard and I hope he keeps trying.

Spare me the covid stuff. Northwestern’s coach was on the same timeline at an equally historic bottom feeder and already has a tourney win under his belt. Pandemic happened to everyone

This team is a fun one. Heck, the McGowans team was fun. Last year’s team was fun. I’m a lifelong huge Nebrasketball fan. Playing meaningful games in Feb/March is awesome. I hope Fred (or anybody) can do it year after year.

Still a long way to go.

And that is why he gets Chucky Hepburn to transfer for next year. That or Frankie Fidler from Omaha

Chucky isn't coming here. He gets booed every time he touches the ball when he plays at PBA. I would love to get Fidler, though. But he'll probably go to Creighton if he wants to move up to a major conference.

Reactions: kevingne
That comparison is ridiculous. Chris Collins is in his 11th season at Northwestern. He was in year 7 when Covid hit.
Since year 3 he’s 2 games over .500 - literally identical to Miles’ 7-year stretch here.

I’m excited to see how he navigates the next month!

Chucky is a lame pickup. Body language is getting worse and worse, has the guy gotten any better over the last like 3 years? But he does have a ton of experience.

Fidler is interesting.

Reactions: king_kong_
Hoiberg was far from the only coach hired in 2019.

My guess is his record is worse than all of them.

Since year 3 he’s 2 games over .500 - literally identical to Mile’s 7-year stretch here with the same amount of tourney bids.
I get why fans are happy with this season but it clearly did not need to take this long to be doing "okay", Fred screwed up the first few years here.

I get why fans are happy with this season but it clearly did not need to take this long to be doing "okay", Fred screwed up the first few years here.
Fans should be happy about this season! I am very happy about this season!

Revisionist history isn’t needed to justify anything. Fred’s the losingest coach in NU hoops history thru 4 seasons is part of it.

If he sustains a winner here it’ll make it all the better.

I’m not going to wipe his record away and anoint him for taking advantage of the worst B1G we’ve seen since 2018, though. That impulse is just odd.

Reactions: ATX Husker
Chucky is a lame pickup. Body language is getting worse and worse, has the guy gotten any better over the last like 3 years? But he does have a ton of experience.

Fidler is interesting.
I really don’t see Fidler leaving Omaha and if he does it would probably be about 50 blocks to the east to downtown Omaha where the other school is.

You know, I was about to start a thread entitled WHEN DID FRED LEARN TO COACH AGAIN? and I'm glad I didn't...but I have to say, IN THESE DAYS....I don't get 7-25 seasons....

Am I wrong?

Fidler is interesting.
It was amusing last night to see Galloway, who was completely shut down by Jamarques Lawrence, pretty much have his way with Chucky. Seems his vaunted defense isn't what it used to me.

Huskers do need help at PG, but he would not be my choice.

You know, I was about to start a thread entitled WHEN DID FRED LEARN TO COACH AGAIN? and I'm glad I didn't...but I have to say, IN THESE DAYS....I don't get 7-25 seasons....

Am I wrong?

When you're a high major team and you take a job in April, then have 4 scholarship players available to you by May, I would argue its going to be very fvcking hard to even be competitive in that scenario.

Oh... then what happens at the end of year one? The World loses its God Damn mind. You aren't allowed to go out anywhere an recruit. Recruits can't come to you. Kids can't play. AAU tournaments don't exist. You can't work out your team. Players can't shoot. Player can't lift.

Absolutely makes sense why a program like Nebraska would be dreadful in those scenarios.

I really don’t see Fidler leaving Omaha and if he does it would probably be about 50 blocks to the east to downtown Omaha where the other school is.
Yeah, I have zero idea about him at all. You are probably right.

It was amusing last night to see Galloway, who was completely shut down by Jamarques Lawrence, pretty much have his way with Chucky. Seems his vaunted defense isn't what it used to me.

Huskers do need help at PG, but he would not be my choice.
It was never great. No one outside of the Omaha area even knows who he is or that he is supposed to be some great player.

If he was from Chicago no one on this post board would be jerking off while watching him.

Fans should be happy about this season! I am very happy about this season!

Revisionist history isn’t needed to justify anything. Fred’s the losingest coach in NU hoops history thru 4 seasons is part of it.

If he sustains a winner here it’ll make it all the better.

I’m not going to wipe his record away and anoint him for taking advantage of the worst B1G we’ve seen since 2018, though. That impulse is just odd.
Yep

Yep

Yep

Yep

Although football in this easy transfers/NIL-era requires more extensive reloads every year, that has been the case in basketball for a long time, especially in the one-and-done era. Fred got it right this year for the first time in five tries and certainly deserves a chance to see if he can repeat this year’s success. But until he repeats this success for a few years I hope Trev doesn’t go crazy with a lengthy contract extension.

Am I wrong?

I know what you mean. It wasn’t like the top 3 players from the team were gone because of graduation (Palmer Jr., Copeland, and Watson Jr.) or that the top 2 returners left (Roby declared for the draft and Allen transferred). 🙄

How could you possibly go 7-25 in that scenario?

Fidler is interesting.

About a month ago I thought about discussing whether Hepburn would/could be a possible transfer to NU. Mainly because we really need a true PG, in my opinion, so Lawrence can move to a more natural combo guard role. Hard to tell how Uhlis will pan out after sitting and how quickly the PG recruit from Wisconsin can play. Most days I think it best not to consider Hepburn (if he is even interested), but occasionally think maybe a change of scenery is what he needs. He can do all the things necessary for a traditional PG role. Would love to have that type of player next year, but not sure he is the one.

Unimaginable? Beating an overrated Purdue and wisc team at home isn’t unimaginable, nor is it noteworthy compared to multiple predecessors.

Unimaginable would be a sweet 16.
Haters Gonna Hate GIF by LeVar Burton

Chucky isn't coming here. He gets booed every time he touches the ball when he plays at PBA. I would love to get Fidler, though. But he'll probably go to Creighton if he wants to move up to a major conference.
But wouldn't Chucky WANT the love?????:)

Because no hall of fame college coaches ever failed in the NBA. Lol
Fred's a hall of famer now?

btw - how much have you donated to 1890/NIL?

I'm testing a theory and appreciate your honesty in advance

Fred's a hall of famer now?

btw - how much have you donated to 1890/NIL?

I'm testing a theory and appreciate your honesty in advance
Where did I say he was a hall of famer. I only pointed out that there are great colleges coaches that didn't fair well in the NBA. He was pretty successful as a college coach.

50 bucks a month, earmarked for the golf team.

Frost & Fred is the tale of two coaches who were given a second chance.

One showed immaturity, failed to truly admit he was wrong in his approach, and begrudgingly made changes to try to save his job.

The other did the exact opposite.

I know what you mean. It wasn’t like the top 3 players from the team were gone because of graduation (Palmer Jr., Copeland, and Watson Jr.) or that the top 2 returners left (Roby declared for the draft and Allen transferred). 🙄

How could you possibly go 7-25 in that scenario?
Trouble with that thinking is when a new coach has mostly existing players return and it does not go well everyone says wait until he gets his own players. Fred got his players immediately, he had an advantage in that regard. He just chose the wrong types of players.

If Uhlis is around and eligible next season I think Fred will go with his backcourt/perimeter of Lawrence, Uhlis, Williams and Sam. I think he will be more concerned with finding a strong, big body in the paint to replace Josiah depending on the health of Keita. To compete in the BIG the depth of strength in the front is imperative.

If Uhlis is around and eligible next season I think Fred will go with his backcourt/perimeter of Lawrence, Uhlis, Williams and Sam. I think he will be more concerned with finding a strong, big body in the paint to replace Josiah depending on the health of Keita. To compete in the BIG the depth of strength in the front is imperative.
the iowa kid?

Hoiberg took over a program that had won 22 and 19 games in the 2 years prior to him arriving. Both NIT teams. His predecessor was over .500 here. (Actual context)

He then sunk it back to worst in all of P5 with astonishing speed.

Its amazing how much losing some fans will not just endure but celebrate.
Let’s put some context to the 22 and 19 wins.

2017-18 (22-11)
Nebraska didn’t make the NCAA tourney because they didn’t beat anyone. Their lone Quad 1 win was Michigan who then obliterated Nebraska in the Big 10 tourney. Their 22 wins were against OOC cream puffs and the lower half of the Big 10 that year.

2018-2019 (19-17)
The record hardly screams success. They were 6-14 in the Big 10 and once again bagged their wins against Directional State University. Their “big wins” were Seton Hall, Indiana and Maryland. After the IU win, Nebraska was 13-4… but finished the season with 6 wins against 14 losses.

Tim Miles was a nice guy but he’s not a big time upper tier coach. He kept Nebraska in the basement of the Big 10 for most of his tenure.

Nebraska’s Big 10 Ranking by year:

2012-13 10th
2013-14 4th
2014-15 12th
2015-16 11th
2016-17 12th
2017-18 4th
2018-19 13th

So yes, Hoiberg struggled when he got here because he had to wipe the slate clean from the crap slung about prior to his arrival.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT