ADVERTISEMENT

How can our best play be the QB run?

onechase

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2005
What happens when Jeff Sims goes down which is going to happen? Then what?
Why have we not recruited at least 1 big strong running back with break- away speed to put games away in the 4th that we always use to have in the 80's and 90's.
And how can we lose to the Row the Boat idiot every year? Just depressing to watch our Football team lose to these Big 10 teams that are not very good!!!!
Excluding Ohio State and Michigan of course. They are good every year.

Why have we not recruited at least 1 big strong running back with break- away speed to put games away in the 4th that we always use to have in the 80's and 90's.
And how can we lose to the Row the Boat idiot every year? Just depressing to watch our Football team lose to these Big 10 teams that are not very good!!!!
What's depressing is once again having a qb that leaves me wondering if the backup is better. So sick of this.

It is because we brought Frank back. This was his contribution.

What's depressing is once again having a qb that leaves me wondering if the backup is better. So sick of this.
The beauty now is that if Sims goes down, it's hardly the end of the season. Haarberg can come in and essentially play the same game Sims did. Might as well commit to more run game, throw in more zone read, rpo, and just try to gain some yardage and run clock and just don't turn the ball over. Keto playing defense and St like last night and we'll still win 6-7 games.

A qb who is a good runner can often create good gains in spite of having a crappy oline. That describes Sims and our oline.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Coaches need to take the pocket passing plays completely away from Sims. Honestly, try an offense similar to what was being run back when Martinez and Burkhead were in that three back diamond formation.

If Sims is going to be the starter for the rest of the year, better do more options and play to his running strength. Rolling out of the pocket and getting sideline action sure beats throwing down the middle, he just doesn't see the field very good from inside the tackles.

Just thinking out loud, probably won't see any new schemes going forward.

Coaches need to take the pocket passing plays completely away from Sims. Honestly, try an offense similar to what was being run back when Martinez and Burkhead were in that three back diamond formation.

If Sims is going to be the starter for the rest of the year, better do more options and play to his running strength. Rolling out of the pocket and getting sideline action sure beats throwing down the middle, he just doesn't see the field very good from inside the tackles.

Not going to happen. They've had all spring and fall camp to see that Sims blows.

Reactions: t7w0c1 and Bugeater
Why do you possibly think Haarberg or Purdy are better? I have not seen Haarberg play, but I saw enough of Purdy last year to know he is a walking disaster.
Watching Martinez was frustrating. Watching Sims last night was terrifying. Knowing he has started games for 2 years prior to this is just scary. Maybe he was nervous and he'll turn things around. He does the same things against CU and I'm going to want to see what Haarberg and Purdy can do.

We have an average/below average passer and average wide receivers make us one sided.
Also very average RB and below average OL. Was disappointed to not see any real threat from the TE position.

That said, minimize the mistakes and they could steal 3-4 of these types of games, due to the level of competition.

If Sims $hits his pants again next week, he only runs some wildcat types of plays the rest of the year. He was bad at GT and it looks like Satterfield didn't make him any better.

The offense (QB, RB, OL, TE,WR) was so damn unprepared. Why the hell was Satterfield making such a complex playbook that the players seem to not grasp.

Going up against Minnesota on the road was a tough opening gig but yikes... we can't keep putting a turnover machine out there.

If Sims starts against CU and isn't replaced after he turns it over twice I'm going to be very concerned & pissed.

Not going to happen. They've had all spring and fall camp to see that Sims blows.
Rhule found out he ain’t in Texas anymore where all his kids were athletic or at least majority. Recruiting isn’t going to change with him or anyone. Top 40 classes, get mauled by athletic teams, win your super bowls against Iowa and Minn and beat Wisc once or twice a decade. Win the west every 10 to 15 years.

Rhule found out he ain’t in Texas anymore where all his kids were athletic or at least majority. Recruiting isn’t going to change with him or anyone. Top 40 classes, get mauled by athletic teams, win your super bowls against Iowa and Minn and beat Wisc once or twice a decade. Win the west every 10 to 15 years.
Rhule went 1-11 his first year at Baylor. I think his roster here is better than the first year at Baylor. Nebraska is consistently top 25 in recruiting. Not top 40. And that’s when we’ve been 4-8. Win more games and you’ll win more recruiting battles.

Rhule went 1-11 his first year at Baylor. I think his roster here is better than the first year at Baylor. Nebraska is consistently top 25 in recruiting. Not top 40. And that’s when we’ve been 4-8. Win more games and you’ll win more recruiting battles.

I'm starting to wonder about that bold part. I know Baylor was pretty thin after that scandal, but their leftovers might have been better than Frost's leftovers. Plus, we haven't had a top 25 class the last two years. He'll get that fixed (or he better), but we need a lot better talent at almost every position.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Cool story, racist.

Solich brought his offense back with him when he returned to Lincoln for the spring game...

This is a first year staff...

Rewatching the game the OL especially Cochran was horrendous. If it wasn't for Sims legs I don't think N would have done much of anything offensively. Play calling could have been better in some spots and Sims decision making needs major improvements but he had no time plus the WRs were blanketed.

All & all Sims legs was needed and the threat of him running is going to help the OL and RBs until he gets more comfortable in this offense. Due to penalties and TO we left an easy 14 points on the board. Fix those and we win comfortably.

Defense was lights out but there was some spots they played too soft in coverage and there were some moments I would have liked to see White bring some heat especially on that 4th down. N gave up too many 3rd and longs.

Reactions: c3o and Mrs.Jeans15
The beauty now is that if Sims goes down, it's hardly the end of the season. Haarberg can come in and essentially play the same game Sims did. Might as well commit to more run game, throw in more zone read, rpo, and just try to gain some yardage and run clock and just don't turn the ball over. Keto playing defense and St like last night and we'll still win 6-7 games.

Agree with this. Purdey and Haarberg are just as good runners and bad passers as Sims. I think the result would be the same no matter which one plays.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Agree with this. Purdey and Haarberg are just as good runners and bad passers as Sims. I think the result would be the same no matter which one plays.
Might as well have Sims run almost every play not designed as a RB run!

Been awhile since I saw the "run the diamond formation" post!

My bingo card is complete!

Man, we fans fell in crazy love with that formation.

I like the idea of Haarberg or Purdy running the offense.

First, we must stick to the run game this year.. so I'm not considering either guy as to his passing ability.

What should matter first and foremost is decision making ability.

Which QB is going to make the best decisions with the ball in his hands? You hand it off, or you run. Who best can read defenses? Who of the 3 is the best leader? The one that the guys trust and look up to?

That is how I would look at it if it were up to me.

I'm starting to wonder about that bold part. I know Baylor was pretty thin after that scandal, but their leftovers might have been better than Frost's leftovers. Plus, we haven't had a top 25 class the last two years. He'll get that fixed (or he better), but we need a lot better talent at almost every position.
Rhule made us worse on Offense with how he handled everything from hiring an offensive staff, to his recruiting and portal/player management.

The offense (QB, RB, OL, TE,WR) was so damn unprepared. Why the hell was Satterfield making such a complex playbook that the players seem to not grasp.

Why do you need a complex playbook when your QB can’t execute most of it? You would think any decent OC/QB coach would know after just a few practices that he needs to pair down the passing game. (with our current QB situation) I mean, maybe they did. Maybe Sims will get better, can’t be much worse. Maybe they can coach around his weaknesses with a stout defense and a solid run game. Maybe we’re fooked. Maybe it’s maybeline…

Reactions: BleedRed78
I like the idea of Haarberg or Purdy running the offense.

First, we must stick to the run game this year.. so I'm not considering either guy as to his passing ability.

What should matter first and foremost is decision making ability.

Which QB is going to make the best decisions with the ball in his hands? You hand it off, or you run. Who best can read defenses? Who of the 3 is the best leader? The one that the guys trust and look up to?

That is how I would look at it if it were up to me.
If Haarberg is under center, who's going to play TE?

• Haha
Reactions: Landomatic
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT