ADVERTISEMENT

Home schooling...

They'll get over it.

The only agenda I'm pushing is having my grandsons avoid the slimy institution known as public non-education.

If public education would quit the bullshit classes like Chemistry, Calculus, etc and let kids come to school and learn things that will help them in their lifetime, school wouldn't be such a waste of time.

If a kid enjoys Chemistry, and wants to pursue that, more power to them. Same with Calculus if they want to teach Math or be a college professor.

Hell, a lot of high school grads can't balance a checkbook or make change. (Those that take Calculus can).

Most kids have no use for Chemistry once they leave school.

Public education needs to find out, at an early age, what each child has an aptitude and a desire to learn and then teach them.

Lot of kids want to be auto mechanics, plumbers, construction workers and the like. Noble professions and they can also make a good living doing so. The world needs people that have certain skills.

Requiring bullshit classes that these kids hate is a good way to kill the drive to be who they want to become.

My auto mechanic retired recently after 50 years. Dude could fix anything mechanical. So, what does he do now in his retirement? He tinkers with cars. The guy lived the dream, his dream, and made a damn good living doing it.
(He wasn't worth a shit in Chemistry class though).

These are only my opinions and I'm sure some will disagree. It's all good.
I’m guessing you understand that Calc is an elective course?

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Wait...do we want kids to explore in public schools or not? Because...there are some mixed ass messages! Ha

Wait...do we want kids to explore in public schools or not? Because...there are some mixed ass messages! Ha
Kids in public school are free to do as they choose, that's why we homeschool. Everyone has to make the situation fit their circumstances. Some folks, it's impossible to homeschool their kids and I understand that. We're fortunate in that we have another option.

Yeah, it's a love/hate thing. If I go back to visit for a week the first couple days I get nostalgia and think I could move back. Then I get stuck in traffic on 48th or some other road that is obviously way too small for a city that size and I remember why I moved. I have relatives from Omaha that pretty much have to take anxiety meds to drive in Lincoln.
Two things. Love Lincoln. If I could pick it up and move it West next to some mountains I would do it in an instant. Secondly, Traffic is bad all over, but if you think Lincoln is bad do not move to the West Coast. From the suburbs north of Seattle all the way to San Diego cities out here suck when it comes to getting anywhere fast. Heck even the drive from Ogden to Provo isn't any fun. State Departments of Transportation all over the US have been caught with their pants down. Here in Washington, WDOT is too busy building multi-million-dollar bridges for bicycles and spending millions on a lone toilet in the middle of nowhere (that no one will use) instead of building more multiple lane freeways. Which they should have done 30 and 40 years ago. Now it cannot be done in many cases.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Two things. Love Lincoln. If I could pick it up and move it West next to some mountains I would do it in an instant. Secondly, Traffic is bad all over, but if you think Lincoln is bad do not move to the West Coast. From the suburbs north of Seattle all the way to San Diego cities out here suck when it comes to getting anywhere fast. Heck even the drive from Ogden to Provo isn't any fun. State Departments of Transportation all over the US have been caught with their pants down. Here in Washington, WDOT is too busy building multi-million-dollar bridges for bicycles and spending millions on a lone toilet in the middle of nowhere (that no one will use) instead of building more multiple lane freeways. Which they should have done 30 and 40 years ago. Now it cannot be done in many cases.
It's not so much the bad traffic as the fact that the bad traffic is a result of such terrible planning over decades. It took what, 30+ years for that south beltway to finally be built. Through farmland.

Homeschool kids are apparently the academic version of the Greek gods that are this boards posters. 4.3 40 400lb bench, these homeschooled kids say hold my academic beer bitches.
I get homeschooled kids that transfer in and this was the first year I had a kid transfer out to get homeschooled.

And it did not appear to be because of how smart they were :)

I can tell you this, every homeschooled kid "transcripts" if you want to call them that, that I have seen or been informed about it...always have them as what is essential a straight A student.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
I get homeschooled kids that transfer in and this was the first year I had a kid transfer out to get homeschooled.

And it did not appear to be because of how smart they were :)

I can tell you this, every homeschooled kid "transcripts" if you want to call them that, that I have seen or been informed about it...always have them as what is essential a straight A student.
I personally think public school is a waste of time and money. A fat, bloated system that turns out a bunch of dumb ass kids that are wasting their time because they don't want to be there and too many teachers that make them feel unwelcome.
Teachers are the biggest ****ing gossipers and rumor mongers on the planet. Most teachers are so burned out,should get out of the so-called education business and get a real job.

Not really, but we don't waste our time teaching a bunch of ****ing irrelevant shit either.
Just from what I have seen, most home schoolers seem to be "done" by like 11am or so, noon.

Now that is just what I have seen in my career. So it seems a lot of the "BS" is taken out of the day, good or bad, I suppose is up for debate. The manifest and latent (I sound smart now) functions of school can be different for everyone. At home or in a building.

The only negative I have seen (besides insane grade inflation, which really is expected) with home schooling has been the acclimation with their peers. I think, and this is without reading research on it but some other teachers on this site might be able to chime in, but it appears that the longer one is home schooled, the more "difficult" it is for them to fit in with their peers. Totally anecdotal evidence on my part, but bonds/groups/cliques form quickly in social settings and it is easy to be on the outside looking in.

I personally think public school is a waste of time and money. A fat, bloated system that turns out a bunch of dumb ass kids that are wasting their time because they don't want to be there and too many teachers that make them feel unwelcome.
Teachers are the biggest ****ing gossipers and rumor mongers on the planet. Most teachers are so burned out,should get out of the so-called education business and get a real job.

I totally agree about the waste of money and a fat bloated system. 100% agree on that.

Turning out dumb kids? I suppose that is debatable but we have the most modern advanced country in the world, probably that the world has ever seen and we did it in 250 years.

Teachers not making kids feel welcome? Sure, it happens. Just like some parent make their kids feel like shit.

Biggest gossipers? Probably depends on the person/teacher, but I could see it. You should probably hear the shit they don't talk about though!

Burnt out? Yeah, some...but remember there are not many jobs where the worker is dealing with people who at times are actively trying to make their job hard/difficult. I guess I would not say most, but some.

A "real job"? Yes please! Working from home every day sounds amazing! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to go meet my friends out for lunch (my friends that have real jobs) once or twice a week and have a nice 60-90 minute lunch!

The thought of making an appt during the day and just going to it, sounds great! Running to the store during the workday, yes please! Calling in "sick" and not having to make plans for my sub, please, yes please!.

Not having people actively working against me during the day, sounds great to me! Not having to get emails about how so and so needs to be treated a certain way because of XYZ...sign me up!

Lack of vacation time around Xmas, that would suck. I did that when I worked a "real job". Summer off, I would miss that.

Just from what I have seen, most home schoolers seem to be "done" by like 11am or so, noon.

Now that is just what I have seen in my career. So it seems a lot of the "BS" is taken out of the day, good or bad, I suppose is up for debate. The manifest and latent (I sound smart now) functions of school can be different for everyone. At home or in a building.

The only negative I have seen (besides insane grade inflation, which really is expected) with home schooling has been the acclimation with their peers. I think, and this is without reading research on it but some other teachers on this site might be able to chime in, but it appears that the longer one is home schooled, the more "difficult" it is for them to fit in with their peers. Totally anecdotal evidence on my part, but bonds/groups/cliques form quickly in social settings and it is easy to be on the outside looking in.
And those phony ass cliques that start in middle school were one of the main reasons I ****ing hated public school. Nothing but a bunch of phonies. They walk around and think because their old man owns a business or is a doctor makes them special, and they get treated as such by the teachers. You talk, about grade inflation. Whereas, the kids from the wrong side of the tracks are treated as non -entities. We could go round and round on this shit, I've seen it first hand, some of my friends are teachers, and good teachers, but the majority are a joke. With all due respect, we're not changing each others opinion. I lived it. Nothing has changed in 60 years.

Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
And those phony ass cliques that start in middle school were one of the main reasons I ****ing hated public school. Nothing but a bunch of phonies. They walk around and think because their old man owns a business or is a doctor makes them special, and they get treated as such by the teachers. You talk, about grade inflation. Whereas, the kids from the wrong side of the tracks are treated as non -entities. We could go round and round on this shit, I've seen it first hand, some of my friends are teachers, and good teachers, but the majority are a joke. With all due respect, we're not changing each others opinion. I lived it. Nothing has changed in 60 years.
Wow, are you Holden Caulfield.

Did you go to school with The Outsiders?

Sorry for mixing my American literature.

Haha..I kid, I kid...I do feel like most discussions sort of lose merit one one person says "A lot of my friends are ____________" so all of a sudden they know more about it than the people that do it for a living. But I get your point.

I am not trying to change your mind or your opinion, I don't care to do that. I am just killing time. You seem like a great guy with a great life. It is good that it all worked out for you.

I totally agree about the waste of money and a fat bloated system. 100% agree on that.

Turning out dumb kids? I suppose that is debatable but we have the most modern advanced country in the world, probably that the world has ever seen and we did it in 250 years.

Teachers not making kids feel welcome? Sure, it happens. Just like some parent make their kids feel like shit.

Biggest gossipers? Probably depends on the person/teacher, but I could see it. You should probably hear the shit they don't talk about though!

Burnt out? Yeah, some...but remember there are not many jobs where the worker is dealing with people who at times are actively trying to make their job hard/difficult. I guess I would not say most, but some.

A "real job"? Yes please! Working from home every day sounds amazing! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to go meet my friends out for lunch (my friends that have real jobs) once or twice a week and have a nice 60-90 minute lunch!

The thought of making an appt during the day and just going to it, sounds great! Running to the store during the workday, yes please! Calling in "sick" and not having to make plans for my sub, please, yes please!.

Not having people actively working against me during the day, sounds great to me! Not having to get emails about how so and so needs to be treated a certain way because of XYZ...sign me up!

Lack of vacation time around Xmas, that would suck. I did that when I worked a "real job". Summer off, I would miss that.
I'm sure there are many nomeschooled people who wrap it up by noon, we're not those people. I could, if you're interested write both our grandsons daily schedules and show you how a serious learning process is in place. EVERY DAY Monday thru Friday begins at 8:00 am. and ends at 2:10 pm, without exception. There are no phony ass 3-4-5 day weekends either. There are no teacher study days off either.

Core classes M-F are Math, Art, Reading, Social Studies, PE, Keyboard. TU-Thur are Meditation, American History, Reading, Spelling, Sign Language, Spanish, Math, Keyboard and integrated subjects on a every other week schedule.
It's a real curriculum.

I'm sure there are many nomeschooled people who wrap it up by noon, we're not those people. I could, if you're interested write both our grandsons daily schedules and show you how a serious learning process is in place. EVERY DAY Monday thru Friday begins at 8:00 am. and ends at 2:10 pm, without exception. There are no phony ass 3-4-5 day weekends either. There are no teacher study days off either.

Core classes M-F are Math, Art, Reading, Social Studies, PE, Keyboard. TU-Thur are Meditation, American History, Reading, Spelling, Sign Language, Spanish, Math, Keyboard and integrated subjects on a every other week schedule.
It's a real curriculum.
Ohhhh what do they do for PE? I have always wondered that.

My friend taught in a one room school house (no joke) in the Alaskan bush...had like 8 kids ages 6-16 or so...he said PE was the worst because there was not much you could do.

• Wow
Reactions: Jaemekon
Wow, are you Holden Caulfield.

Did you go to school with The Outsiders?

Sorry for mixing my American literature.

Haha..I kid, I kid...I do feel like most discussions sort of lose merit one one person says "A lot of my friends are ____________" so all of a sudden they know more about it than the people that do it for a living. But I get your point.

I am not trying to change your mind or your opinion, I don't care to do that. I am just killing time. You seem like a great guy with a great life. It is good that it all worked out for you.
Super, you have the overall attitude that I really respect, and I mean that. I had a horrible educational experience growing up, some of those same ****ing teachers were still teaching when my kids started school, and I said, "no way" am I subjecting my kids to the cancer of public education.

Not to bore you, but I had 2 older brothers that preceded me in "junior high/middle school". Both were trouble makers, I was not. FIrst ****ing day in school my gym teachers says, "well both your brothers are bums so I'm assuming you are too." I've had teachers tell me, "the Mexicans come up here, knock up all the fat white girls and then go back to Mexico." That's no shit Super, I've heard it with my own ears.

The same mentality that prevailed with that stereotype I got first day of school, works in reverse if the kid comes from "money." They get a free pass and phony ass grade elevation. I shouldn't seem like the kind of guy who takes shit from teachers or people in general. Some teachers, a handful, I loved, totally in it for the right reasons. They were so few and far between. That was the frustrating thing, its such an important job, yet there are so many factors that make it impossible to teach some kids.

I knew we were never going to leave the teaching to so many people that were not in it for the right reasons. It's a system broken beyond repair and I wasn't going to subject my kids to it. Otherwise, they grow up like me....someone who has a negative view of the so-called formal educational setting. My choice was to set the standards at home in terms of learning, and my kids were not are not going to get a free pass. They will receive the grades they earn. In life, they will receive the benefits they prove to be worth.

I went to elementary school in 4 different towns, I went to 13 different elementary schools in the city I grew up in, I went to one Jr. High 3 times and the other Jr. High 2 times during my 7-8-9 grade years. I pulled straight A's. I was nominated to the Air Force Academy at age 17 by US Senators Carl Curtis and Roman Hruska and turned it down. I joined the Air Force at 17, went to Advanced Tech School and graduated a 13 week course in 11 DAYS. I was blessed to have a different type ability to learn things. It wasn't taught in school, I taught myself. Those are the same type learning techniques I taught both my son and daughter, who both graduated from college, and my 2 oldest grandsons, the oldest graduated from UNO in 3 years and my younger one is on pace to graduate at UNO in 3 years also. My 22 year old grandson works for a cybersecurity company and knocks down 295K a year. We're done okay with our process. Public education is not for everyone. But, you need that sheepskin from college to join the workforce, hence, we had to go that route when they got older. I've told my kids and grandsons, you get what you deserve, nothing is going to be handed to you. I'm a hardass.

For fun!

The urge for me to post videos is tough to resist. I don't want the crybabies to come out though. Thank you for the story. Good shlt 🤣☠️.

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
Ohhhh what do they do for PE? I have always wondered that.

My friend taught in a one room school house (no joke) in the Alaskan bush...had like 8 kids ages 6-16 or so...he said PE was the worst because there was not much you could do.
If you're lucky, like they are, they have a home in LA and one in Houston, (actually Katy, Tx) and have a pool in each city. One day they swim, the next day they go to the public park 1 block away and do Parkour, calisthenics, self-defense, they play baseball,. they jump on tampolines. They rollerblade, they have hover boards, they go bike riding. They are living the dream as it relates to an overall, healthy educational, learning environment. It's not a typical educational setting. If asked, most people would jump at that opportunity. Their dad, my son works remotely from home, is upper management and his boys are a very important part of his life.

I grew up in rural town through grade 2 and we had 16 kids in a K-8 school. I know that is where real learning occurs.
We are all products of our upbringing.

Super, you have the overall attitude that I really respect, and I mean that. I had a horrible educational experience growing up, some of those same ****ing teachers were still teaching when my kids started school, and I said, "no way" am I subjecting my kids to the cancer of public education.

Not to bore you, but I had 2 older brothers that preceded me in "junior high/middle school". Both were trouble makers, I was not. FIrst ****ing day in school my gym teachers says, "well both your brothers are bums so I'm assuming you are too." I've had teachers tell me, "the Mexicans come up here, knock up all the fat white girls and then go back to Mexico." That's no shit Super, I've heard it with my own ears.

The same mentality that prevailed with that stereotype I got first day of school, works in reverse if the kid comes from "money." They get a free pass and phony ass grade elevation. I shouldn't seem like the kind of guy who takes shit from teachers or people in general. Some teachers, a handful, I loved, totally in it for the right reasons. They were so few and far between. That was the frustrating thing, its such an important job, yet there are so many factors that make it impossible to teach some kids.

I knew we were never going to leave the teaching to so many people that were not in it for the right reasons. It's a system broken beyond repair and I wasn't going to subject my kids to it. Otherwise, they grow up like me....someone who has a negative view of the so-called formal educational setting. My choice was to set the standards at home in terms of learning, and my kids were not are not going to get a free pass. They will receive the grades they earn. In life, they will receive the benefits they prove to be worth.

I went to elementary school in 4 different towns, I went to 13 different elementary schools in the city I grew up in, I went to one Jr. High 3 times and the other Jr. High 2 times during my 7-8-9 grade years. I pulled straight A's. I was nominated to the Air Force Academy at age 17 by US Senators Carl Curtis and Roman Hruska and turned it down. I joined the Air Force at 17, went to Advanced Tech School and graduated a 13 week course in 11 DAYS. I was blessed to have a different type ability to learn things. It wasn't taught in school, I taught myself. Those are the same type learning techniques I taught both my son and daughter, who both graduated from college, and my 2 oldest grandsons, the oldest graduated from UNO in 3 years and my younger one is on pace to graduate at UNO in 3 years also. My 22 year old grandson works for a cybersecurity company and knocks down 295K a year. We're done okay with our process. Public education is not for everyone. But, you need that sheepskin from college to join the workforce, hence, we had to go that route when they got older. I've told my kids and grandsons, you get what you deserve, nothing is going to be handed to you. I'm a hardass.
Dude, why so many schools over and over, that is a recipe for disaster! That makes it so much harder on the kid. II would hated that too!

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
For fun!

What's your point? When that type activity becomes the norm for home schooled kids it won't involve us.

Dude, why so many schools over and over, that is a recipe for disaster! That makes it so much harder on the kid. II would hated that too!
Two alcoholic parents, my old man was a bum and couldn't hold a job. I grew up learning to rely on me. Despite my rough edges, I became a pretty formidable person professionally and took a stand in some areas. I have great respect for those that have overcome odds of a crummy upbringing and changed the entire narrative for their family.

What's your point? When that type activity becomes the norm for home schooled kids it won't involve us.
I was trying to find this super funny Onion article but couldn't, then I saw this one and thought it was funny. I suppose the point is that it is funny???

Tldr.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
I think you are really good at what you do. You seem to be able to grasp how and why some kids are hard to teach.
That's why I think public school is such an impossible situation for a certain percentage of kids. You have that 10-15% of kids that are just smart. They are blessed with 2 good parents, a good home life, and those parents and kids are self motivated to succeed.

Then there's the 40% who have decent, but disruptive home lives that are still able to maintain a sense of "normalcy".
Those kids are you B and C students.

Then we have those percentages that are just up against it from a very early age. Crappy homelife, poor/disfuncitional parents that offer no guidance and place no priority on their kids's learning process. Combine that with the fact that many of those kids hate school and it's a recipe for an unworkable model. Despite the best efforts by that small percentage of teacher who really want to teach, that aspect remains unattainable for them. Hence, their frustration which leads to complacency/burn out. Which leads to just passing kids through grades who are in no way prepared academically for the next grade level. Some of the high school kids working in some of these fast food places and service industries are just hopeless.

I don't think there is an answer. Throwing more money doesn't do anything to advance what should be the main priority of educating kids who don't want to be educated. Disruptive, inattentive, not tolerant of any type of authority figure. It's a mess. I never wanted my kids or grandkids to have to deal with that shit. I feel sorry for those parents and kids who are not even able to tread water and get a decent education. But a liberal society continues to contribute to the problems with no idea of solutions.

I can tell you, for a fact, at one of the local high schools, kids can come to class late, leave the class anytime they want to and they are never counted as late or having an incomplete class that day. You cannot run a school that way. When there is zero accountability, and the kids have zero respect for the teacher, their classmates, or themselves it becomes an impossible learning environment. Then you add the fact that many of those kids, i.e. "regular kids" feel fear in the school from violence or intimidation from some of their classmates, the question is, what do you do about it?

Yo this commute is only 11 minutes, I thought it was going to be like 45+. Stop being a helicopter parent and let your daughter have a normal life

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
I mean, they should be at school everyday.
Why? So they can spend half their day listening to a teacher tell the class to be quiet? Should a kid be learning every day? Yes. Do they need to be in a physical school every day for 6-8 hours when they are probably only getting 2-3 hours of education? No

• Love
Reactions: Jaemekon
Why? So they can spend half their day listening to a teacher tell the class to be quiet? Should a kid be learning every day? Yes. Do they need to be in a physical school every day for 6-8 hours when they are probably only getting 2-3 hours of education? No
Ahhhh, the "Work from home" model! I can't disagree with that!

This thread is sad and disturbing. I can't believe how many people live lives completely controlled by fear and paranoia. Buck up, fellas. It's a big world out there but it'll be ok! You don't have to believe every word a scary dork tells you on tv or on the internet! That's silly!

This thread is sad and disturbing. I can't believe how many people live lives completely controlled by fear and paranoia. Buck up, fellas. It's a big world out there but it'll be ok! You don't have to believe every word a scary dork tells you on tv or on the internet! That's silly!
I'm neither fearful or paranoid. I just live in the world of reality.

I'm neither fearful or paranoid. I just live in the world of reality.
Imagine thinking the organized education system is useful?

Lol. Couldn’t ever be me.

Teachers have checked out/can’t compete, so they’re being warehoused out of the way of productive members of society who pay for everything.

Kids are being warehoused with them so parents can go to work &/or go to the club for lunch.

My experience on the "acclimation with peers" is that it is a complete myth. There are always going to be well-adjusted kids that fit in with their peers, regardless of whether in a public school or homeschool. The opposite is true, too. Awkward kids are going to be awkward no matter the setting. My experience is that most homeschool kids do very well with their peers -- but also are much better at interacting and socializing with adults.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT