ADVERTISEMENT

Home schooling...

Seems like the tone of the thread, we could use a lot more of that attitude in public schools, instead of being scared.
I mean… I’m sure they know their Union really super seriously has their backs, right?
I don’t belong to that liberal money squandering piece of shit organization. I belong to one that supports educators and their rights.

Reactions: herbie tarlek
I don’t belong to that liberal money squandering piece of shit organization. I belong to one that supports educators and their rights.
Exactly. It is crazy in Nebraska some morons think all teachers are the same as in Chicago, LA. They come to board meetings thinking that they are saving the world from CRT etc when that is the last thing the schools teach in95% of the state

So you’re a teacher… do you have the authority to keep kids from being on their phones in your class?
If a kid wants to be on their phone I can't take it away. I have to call admin and they come and handle it. There is very little I can actually do. Most are pretty cool and will give it up knowing they would get it back at the end of class but if they refuse there is nothing I can do. We are a Verizon school so each kid gets an iPad with data. I have over 20 charging cords in my room so if I ask for a phone I'll plug it in so they feel like they get something out of the deal. They really don't know how much power they actually have.

• Wow
Reactions: BleedRed78
I will say the unions out here are a clown show. I got out during Covid due to their demands and focus on social justice issues instead of educator issues. Saves me 105 bucks a month.
as they say, when you entertain a clown, you become part of the circus. I am ashamed I ever joined in the first place, thanks alot Dr. Bell and Dr. Hussman you brainwashing ****s, practically all I heard in college was union this union that.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Sounds like a good argument for school choice.

Then add some kind of trade school path for the "turds" who are obviously not on track for the 4 year college route. Get them away from the kids who actually want to learn so that they don't disrupt their learning, and try to teach them some kind of useful skill to keep them out of jail/poverty.
They are doing this in a lot of places. Not to get rid of "turds" but to provide an alternative for kids who don't want to go to college and can get a job right of high school. Should help businesses fill gaps too. Secretary of education was in omaha last week touring one of those schools.

anyone think the OP thinks he made a wise decision to home school yet? I hope he at least knows that its the system that is broken, not the teachers trying to work from within it.
It sounds to me like he was concerned about his daughter dying in a car wreck on the way to school, not her randomly coming home as a man one day.

Reactions: huskerj12
Privatize schools and they make their own regulations without bureaucratic oversight. Let parents make the policy and schools enforce it.
I'm confused. We have school boards and PTA with local representation. That 90% of people don't care about, including myself.

I was told earlier in this thread that even though I live in a so-called lib state that I'm not aware of all this "woke" stuff because my kids are rural. Basically people ignoring any state input into curriculum.

My kids have 37 other kids in their grade. I have met almost all the parents. No way do I want these people setting my kids curriculum.

Seems like alot of people ignoring the fact that their is local representation, just because they don't like it.

Reactions: huskerj12
Seems many people are pretty uninformed about homeschool. In my experience, homeschooling fails whenever the parents mail it in. They have to be very involved in setting the curriculum, make sure the work gets done and providing lots of extra curricular activities.

My daughter is a senior and very well-rounded educationally. She has friends that homeschool and others that go to high school. She takes some classes at community college. She participates in theater and musical endeavors and does part time work. She's reached the highest levels of American Heritage Girls, similar to girl scouts but without all the cookie pushing. (God, family, civic duty)

The homeschooling association is pretty good in Nebraska. They organize all kinds of field trips, and have social activities like prom and homecoming. Last homecoming was very big. You had to get tickets to go, and they had to turn away about 50% because of the size of the venue (several hundred)

Homeschooling is very flexible and efficient. You can fit your educational demands around other activities.

It's not for every kid. Some will thrive in a larger school setting. But often times, the reason it doesn't work is because the parent is lazy. Yep, I'm talking to you lazy drive thru moms. Dinner time means put on your coat.

as they say, when you entertain a clown, you become part of the circus. I am ashamed I ever joined in the first place, thanks alot Dr. Bell and Dr. Hussman you brainwashing ****s, practically all I heard in college was union this union that.
But higher education isn’t like that! It’s the envy of the world! Nobody in those places would ever try and indoctrinate others! You take that back, right now!

The Covid break did the kids no favors socially at all. We have a group of 10-15 kids that just wander campus. Never go to class. Are usually high. Aren't allowed to force them to go either. It's madness the realities of what kids can get away with on campus and that's even before entering the classroom. Personally the public schools in Nebraska are pretty legit and it seems homeschooling would limit most socially and developmentally as a whole. Saw a post about teaching Islam. We have an entire unit dedicated to teaching what they believe and practice but it's no different than when I cover the Roman Empire and Jesus and the growth of Christianity. Same in the spring when the Reformation and Crusades are covered. It's pretty well rounded. Kids seem to be interested in Inquisition torture.

Agree with most of your post.

The part I disagree with is that homeschooling limits kids socially and developmentally as a whole. That is NOT the case. Everyone seems to equate a weird/awkward kid as being socially inept. Truth be told, those "weird" kids are going to be weird whether they attend public schools or are homeschooled. The location of their education has virtually no impact on their ability to interact socially. The social development is a myth that has been perpetuated for 50+ years. It is an excuse by the public school industry to guilt people into making sure their kids attend the local school (likely so they keep their funding).

I have been around literally hundreds, if not a thousand, homeschool kids in 15+ years through educational and sports events. Even more than that with public school kids as I have been around them for my entire life. Still do things at the local school. Guess what? The kids are socially the same. About the only difference I have seen is that homeschool kids are better at communicating and respecting adults (in generality) and vice versa.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
It does not require you to do exactly the same thing as the public schools. In fact, you will likely find out how efficient homeschooling can be (a lot of "fluff" in the schools). If organized and your daughter takes care of business right away, she can be done by early afternoon and that leaves plenty of time for her to pursue/focus on any passions she may have.
Homeschooling works OK if (1) your kids are in the top 1/3 in intelligence and don't have any learning disabilities of any kind and (2) the person teaching them at home is doing it as a full time job. But then again, those learners are the kind of kids who would also succeed in a school system. And if you can meet the first two criteria, you might want to consider it if your local school is in the bottom 1/5 in terms of achievement in the state.

But in most cases, homeschooling is an inferior substitute. You cannot just stick a kid in front of a computer and have them Khan Academy the day away. (Not saying that you did this PHT, sounds like your kids are doing quite well) Other times, kids who are "homeschooled" are really just "home". Nothing gets accomplished. Sometimes kids get isolated-- we saw what the pandemic did with anxiety and kids.

Socially, there are some odd ducks who come out of homeschool situations in order to attend school for certain classes or sports. Of course, some people will say that the reason they are odd is because their parents were wacko to begin with.

Everyone seems to equate a weird/awkward kid as being socially inept. Truth be told, those "weird" kids are going to be weird whether they attend public schools or are homeschooled.
Nature vs. nuture. Weird kids are weirder if they are homeschooled.

The location of their education has virtually no impact on their ability to interact socially. The social development is a myth that has been perpetuated for 50+ years. It is an excuse by the public school industry to guilt people into making sure their kids attend the local school (likely so they keep their funding).
Guilting people into attending public school? Yeah right. That's a old homeschool wife's tale that only exists on homeschool blogs.
The kids are socially the same. About the only difference I have seen is that homeschool kids are better at communicating and respecting adults (in generality) and vice versa.
Good kids from good families who get them out of the house frequently. Sure that will work OK. But it does impact a lot of kids. I know of a top athlete who is homeschooled but emerges from isolation to play club and HS sports. This kid fits in fine, shy and quiet, but this kid nothing like the parents who are out going, extroverts and school educated. Is this difference caused by the fact that this kid hasn't been around kids much? Maybe, maybe not.

One of the classes I teach, we read this article

It is interesting and she writes it from a viewpoint of a of someone that was homeschooled all her life and then her senior year went to a public high school. She found it to be all about conformity, which is pretty accurate in some respects.

I think, like posted above, a good kid from a good family that is smart, will do well in any setting.

Homeschooling works OK if (1) your kids are in the top 1/3 in intelligence and don't have any learning disabilities of any kind and (2) the person teaching them at home is doing it as a full time job. But then again, those learners are the kind of kids who would also succeed in a school system. And if you can meet the first two criteria, you might want to consider it if your local school is in the bottom 1/5 in terms of achievement in the state.

But in most cases, homeschooling is an inferior substitute. You cannot just stick a kid in front of a computer and have them Khan Academy the day away. (Not saying that you did this PHT, sounds like your kids are doing quite well) Other times, kids who are "homeschooled" are really just "home". Nothing gets accomplished. Sometimes kids get isolated-- we saw what the pandemic did with anxiety and kids.

Socially, there are some odd ducks who come out of homeschool situations in order to attend school for certain classes or sports. Of course, some people will say that the reason they are odd is because their parents were wacko to begin with.

Agree with your first paragraph, not so much with the other ones. In a small percentage of cases, homeschooling is probably an inferior substitute - but not "most." FWIW, I have always said to anyone that has asked but homeschooling is not for everyone. Could be the parents. Could be the children. Could be the environment.

You cannot just stick a kid in front of a classroom teacher and have them lecture the day away. Sometimes kids who are "public schooled" are really just being babysat. Nothing gets accomplished. Sometimes public school kids get isolated -- we saw way too many examples of what the pandemic did with anxiety for those kids. Funny, you never really seem to hear in the media about the increased suicidal thoughts and anxiety from homeschool kids the way you do about public school kids.

Socially, there are some odd ducks in public schools who attend certain classes and/or go out for sports. Of course, some people will say the reason they are odd is because their parents are wacko to begin with.

Not that it changes minds on a message board, but when a kid has had both a homeschool and a public school experience, very rarely do you have a homeschool child say they preferred to be in a public school or that they had any regrets in being homeschooled.

It is interesting and she writes it from a viewpoint of a of someone that was homeschooled all her life and then her senior year went to a public high school. She found it to be all about conformity, which is pretty accurate in some respects.

I think, like posted above, a good kid from a good family that is smart, will do well in any setting.

I struggle to conform. I think that is something that I always despised about school. Being expected to just do what I'm told. Herd mentality, that explains why I don't get most people, most people just want to be liked, and will conform to do so.

I used to hang out with home school kids when I was in federal school, I was jealous that they would be out of school by like noon everyday. I also used to get school materials from them (test questions/answers), and I would then sell this information to my fellow classmates.

I did really good in school. I just hate having my time wasted, and that's what I always thought school was. A waste of time.

Or we can just limit girls basketball to biological females, and all other "genders" can compete on the boys team.
I wouldn’t wanna play boys BB against another boy dressing as a girl. The game becomes a circus sideshow. Solves all problems by giving them their own separate class.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Agree with your first paragraph, not so much with the other ones. In a small percentage of cases, homeschooling is probably an inferior substitute - but not "most." FWIW, I have always said to anyone that has asked but homeschooling is not for everyone. Could be the parents. Could be the children. Could be the environment.

You cannot just stick a kid in front of a classroom teacher and have them lecture the day away. Sometimes kids who are "public schooled" are really just being babysat. Nothing gets accomplished. Sometimes public school kids get isolated -- we saw way too many examples of what the pandemic did with anxiety for those kids. Funny, you never really seem to hear in the media about the increased suicidal thoughts and anxiety from homeschool kids the way you do about public school kids.

Socially, there are some odd ducks in public schools who attend certain classes and/or go out for sports. Of course, some people will say the reason they are odd is because their parents are wacko to begin with.

Not that it changes minds on a message board, but when a kid has had both a homeschool and a public school experience, very rarely do you have a homeschool child say they preferred to be in a public school or that they had any regrets in being homeschooled.
I have taught, countless kids that went from home school to regular school and only 1 returned to home schooling. The others, and this is probably 40-50 kids, loved being in regular school. Again, just my experience as a (pretty below average) teacher. The one that went back to home schooling really struggled, more academically but also socially. To her credit, she tried really hard to be social.

Again, just my experience. I did post that article that says the opposite so, it is clearly a very individual thing.

I struggle to conform. I think that is something that I always despised about school. Being expected to just do what I'm told. Herd mentality, that explains why I don't get most people, most people just want to be liked, and will conform to do so.

I used to hang out with home school kids when I was in federal school, I was jealous that they would be out of school by like noon everyday. I also used to get school materials from them (test questions/answers), and I would then sell this information to my fellow classmates.

I did really good in school. I just hate having my time wasted, and that's what I always thought school was. A waste of time.
There was this AMAZING Onion article, that I can't find now but it was about how a high school (home schooled) boy set the Missouri state scoring record in basketball by beating his mom 131-0. hahaha

Agree with your first paragraph, not so much with the other ones. In a small percentage of cases, homeschooling is probably an inferior substitute - but not "most." FWIW, I have always said to anyone that has asked but homeschooling is not for everyone.
If all three criteria is met, homeschooling is a good option. But most of the time, I've seen kids who are not great learners and quite often have behavior issues, get pulled out to get homeschooled where they get very little to nothing in terms of an education. Sometimes, parents have an axe to grind. Homeschooling is like anything else. If you don't know what you're getting into or do it for the wrong reasons, you are going to fail.
You cannot just stick a kid in front of a classroom teacher and have them lecture the day away. Sometimes kids who are "public schooled" are really just being babysat. Nothing gets accomplished.
Agreed. But I wouldn't take the worst teaching practices and just apply it as a broad generalization.
Sometimes public school kids get isolated -- we saw way too many examples of what the pandemic did with anxiety for those kids. Funny, you never really seem to hear in the media about the increased suicidal thoughts and anxiety from homeschool kids the way you do about public school kids.
Mental illness is not exclusive to public schools.
Probably not the ones you've talked to at those events you refer to. But it's a huge adjustment to go into a public school and it's a totally different animal with a lot more structure and less freedom.

If all three criteria is met, homeschooling is a good option. But most of the time, I've seen kids who are not great learners and quite often have behavior issues, get pulled out to get homeschooled where they get very little to nothing in terms of an education. Sometimes, parents have an axe to grind. Homeschooling is like anything else. If you don't know what you're getting into or do it for the wrong reasons, you are going to fail.

Agreed. But I wouldn't take the worst teaching practices and just apply it as a broad generalization.

Mental illness is not exclusive to public schools.

Probably not the ones you've talked to at those events you refer to. But it's a huge adjustment to go into a public school and it's a totally different animal with a lot more structure and less freedom.

Fair enough. Kids can thrive in both settings or they can fail in both settings, as well.

As I said in my original response, if a parent has a passion for it and the child has at least a minimal level of self-motivation, homeschooling is a viable option. TBH, even those that are not great learners or have behavior issues can still "succeed" (ambiguous definition, for sure). Not everyone can do it - or should do it. Those that do will find no greater reward in life.

I plan to be at the spring game this year if anyone is interested in trading stories some more. You should easily spot me. I will be the weird one with 3 of my 4 weird kids by my side. Laughing

• Haha
Reactions: vin5000 and OzzyLvr
I wouldn’t wanna play boys BB against another boy dressing as a girl. The game becomes a circus sideshow. Solves all problems by giving them their own separate class.

You don't dress like a girl while playing basketball. Everyone wears the same uniform. And there aren't enough transgender athletes to form a separate class. For individual sports that would be fine, but most schools aren't going to be able to field an entire basketball or volleyball or soccer team full of transgenders.

You don't dress like a girl while playing basketball. Everyone wears the same uniform. And there aren't enough transgender athletes to form a separate class. For individual sports that would be fine, but most schools aren't going to be able to field an entire basketball or volleyball or soccer team full of transgenders.
Most sports yes, the uniform can be "unisex" but what about sports like swimming, water polo, gymnastics, etc.? My wife had just this scenario, a girl transitioning to a boy wanted to compete as a boy. Sounds like the ideal scenario however NFHS has a rule that boys swim suits can not extend above the hips and this individual had not had "top surgery" so no one would let 16 year old boobs be flying at a high school event. The individual had to compete on the girls team regardless of what hormones they were on because there was no other way the school could provide the opportunity.

Ignorant.

If you have ever tried to accomplish something significant and not easy with a group of teenagers that outnumber you 20-1, you would understand that conformity is actually an important thing. Also, employers like it.

Signed,
Former Boy Scout leader

Reactions: BleedRed78
If you have ever tried to accomplish something significant and not easy with a group of teenagers that outnumber you 20-1, you would understand that conformity is actually an important thing. Also, employers like it.

Signed,
Former Boy Scout leader
I agree and I think people get worked up about the word "conformity" like it is bad, but it isn't.

Don’t know bout that… bigger schools they’re everywhere. Gender confused kids @ smaller schools, if they really wanted to play sports could transfer to a larger program that has that there. Same thing happens all the time with male and female kids wanting better opportunities competing. HCSF attended three high schools in NE showcasing his talents.

I mean school admins everywhere are BENDING OVER BACKWARDS to highlight these kids, to paint this as ‘normal’ behavior and even encourage it… doesn’t seem like much of a stretch that these same administrators could put the same effort into creating a platform for these kids to compete that doesn’t significantly impact boys or girls who actually recognize the (literally) BINARY nature of their respective sexes.

It’s a clown-show otherwise. Always has been, always will be. And it’s gonna get worse until something is done about it.

Last edited:
Don’t know bout that… bigger schools they’re everywhere. Gender confused kids @ smaller schools, if they really wanted to play sports could transfer to a larger program that has that there. Same thing happens all the time with male and female kids wanting better opportunities competing. HCSF attended three high schools in NE showcasing his talents.

I mean school admins everywhere are BENDING OVER BACKWARDS to highlight these kids, to paint this as ‘normal’ behavior and even encourage it… doesn’t seem like much of a stretch that these same administrators could put the same effort into creating a platform for these kids to compete that doesn’t significantly impact boys or girls who actually recognize the (literally) BINARY nature of their respective sexes.

It’s a clown-show otherwise. Always has been, always will be. And it’s gonna get worse until something is done about it.
Everywhere? I don't know of any in Nebraska. Who? If people want change and put a stop to this then people need to stand up in mass instead of bitch but not be bothered to interupt the game on tv.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT