ADVERTISEMENT

Home schooling...

Just from what I have seen, most home schoolers seem to be "done" by like 11am or so, noon.

Now that is just what I have seen in my career. So it seems a lot of the "BS" is taken out of the day, good or bad, I suppose is up for debate. The manifest and latent (I sound smart now) functions of school can be different for everyone. At home or in a building.

The only negative I have seen (besides insane grade inflation, which really is expected) with home schooling has been the acclimation with their peers. I think, and this is without reading research on it but some other teachers on this site might be able to chime in, but it appears that the longer one is home schooled, the more "difficult" it is for them to fit in with their peers. Totally anecdotal evidence on my part, but bonds/groups/cliques form quickly in social settings and it is easy to be on the outside looking in.
One’s “group/clique” is likely full of unproductive losers if formed in public school

Therefore, like organized schooling on the whole, essentially useless and likely counterproductive in the long run

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
One’s “group/clique” is likely full of unproductive losers if formed in public school

Therefore, like organized schooling on the whole, essentially useless and likely counterproductive in the long run
It can be! But for the most part, they probably just end up as a regular adult.

My experience on the "acclimation with peers" is that it is a complete myth. There are always going to be well-adjusted kids that fit in with their peers, regardless of whether in a public school or homeschool. The opposite is true, too. Awkward kids are going to be awkward no matter the setting. My experience is that most homeschool kids do very well with their peers -- but also are much better at interacting and socializing with adults.
You may very well be right!

I also think they interact better with adults.

Imagine thinking the organized education system is useful?

Lol. Couldn’t ever be me.

Teachers have checked out/can’t compete, so they’re being warehoused out of the way of productive members of society who pay for everything.

Kids are being warehoused with them so parents can go to work &/or go to the club for lunch.

By the way, in the last 5 years...which profession has become more hated

Police or teachers?

It is a close call!

Reactions: Jaemekon
God, remember when we let her dictated US energy policy? ****ing bananas.

By the way, her crazy ass parents basically never made her go to school...they just let her sit around studying climate change...which well...the climate only had 3 ways to go...up/down/stay the same.

So she was homeschooled!? Another shining homeschool success story.

Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
So she was homeschooled!? Another shining homeschool success story.
She was not really schooled at all from what I understand. She was like, going to "public school" but basically allowed to finish on her own, I am guessing because her parents are insane and she is annoying. Then she started sailing the oceans and telling people that if we used a gas car the world was going to end.

By the way, in the last 5 years...which profession has become more hated

Police or teachers?

It is a close call!

Good question. 🤔

I've never really been a fan of school, or rules being enforced on me. So neither group has ever probably been on my good list. Nothing has changed for me.

i don't necessarily hate teachers or police officers. Just the institutions that drive them.

Good question. 🤔

I've never really been a fan of school, or rules being enforced on me. So neither group has ever probably been on my good list. Nothing has changed for me.

i don't necessarily hate teachers or police officers. Just the institutions that drive them.
I hate fireman....the ****inig hero worship that they insist on, they don't work at all, does anyone actually die in a fire anymore? Retire with an insane pension after 19 years? **** that.

I hate fireman....the ****inig hero worship that they insist on, they don't work at all, does anyone actually die in a fire anymore? Retire with an insane pension after 19 years? **** that.

Return to volunteer only force? The only problem would be acquiring gear. But that could be donated.

Work smarter, not harder

You hate them because you ain’t them

My experience on the "acclimation with peers" is that it is a complete myth. There are always going to be well-adjusted kids that fit in with their peers, regardless of whether in a public school or homeschool. The opposite is true, too. Awkward kids are going to be awkward no matter the setting. My experience is that most homeschool kids do very well with their peers -- but also are much better at interacting and socializing with adults.
I think you are exactly right Tim. We all know, or grew up with kids, who just are naturals at meeting and getting along with all types of kids. On the other hand, there are those that are just awkward, shy, introverted that can really struggle in almost any environment. Some guys, you just meet and immediately like them, others not so much.

Myself, I have always been skeptical of people I first meet. Because of my upbringing I always wondered how legit they are. Some of my friends are just really cool dudes. They were when I met them 50 years ago and remain unchanged. Those are guys I really admire. They are what I call "good finders". They always seem to find the good in anyone they encounter.

I met one online here, countrybob. We've had coffee twice. The epitome of a really good guy. Someone I am proud to call my friend.

As if a red haired guy could get hired on to any FD within a decade of applying
Ha...that is true now! **** the wait list, if that is what they call it, is insane now.

They did a great job for year of keeping their secret safe, more power to them. I hate the bastads but If I was a fireman I would take every penny like they are and still ask for more...

Ha...that is true now! **** the wait list, if that is what they call it, is insane now.

They did a great job for year of keeping their secret safe, more power to them. I hate the bastads but If I was a fireman I would take every penny like they are and still ask for more...

Exactly. You should do this in your current position as well, no matter what it is. If you don't take it, they will more than likely waste it.

Imagine thinking the organized education system is useful?

Lol. Couldn’t ever be me.

Teachers have checked out/can’t compete, so they’re being warehoused out of the way of productive members of society who pay for everything.

Kids are being warehoused with them so parents can go to work &/or go to the club for lunch.
A situation made even worse with the deteriation of the economy and society. Many kids continue to fall through the cracks due to parents that have no choice but to work more than one job. They want their kids to succeed, but events have transpired that have interferred with their true intentions. Good, honest, hard working people facing more and more difficult times.

• Sad
Growing up, a friend of mine, his Dad was a fireman. Yet somehow he also had time to have like 18 other full time jobs. It never clicked until later in life that being a fireman was essentially like winning the lottery.

And his dads name was "Dutch"...I mean, come on. That is a bad ass name for a fire captain (also, they are all either a captain or chief...all of them.

Exactly. You should do this in your current position as well, no matter what it is. If you don't take it, they will more than likely waste it.
It is starting...since teachers are quitting and they can't fill spots they are starting to pay more and more. Get ready for the property taxes to spike! :)

• Love
I think you are exactly right Tim. We all know, or grew up with kids, who just are naturals at meeting and getting along with all types of kids. On the other hand, there are those that are just awkward, shy, introverted that can really struggle in almost any environment. Some guys, you just meet and immediately like them, others not so much.

Myself, I have always been skeptical of people I first meet. Because of my upbringing I always wondered how legit they are. Some of my friends are just really cool dudes. They were when I met them 50 years ago and remain unchanged. Those are guys I really admire. They are what I call "good finders". They always seem to find the good in anyone they encounter.

I met one online here, countrybob. We've had coffee twice. The epitome of a really good guy. Someone I am proud to call my friend.

I like coffee (and beer). I will be your friend.

• Love
I just got an email yesterday from Lincoln public schools, which told me the god awful news that Standing Bear High School will not be taking juniors and seniors.

This means that my daughter would still have to go all the way to southwest. That is just way too far from my home, standing Bear is basically my backyard.

Anyway, due to this development, I will be homeschooling my daughter instead. Any suggestions for the best way to home school? I'm not trying to do the church thing or any of that.
Best advice I have is don’t be surprised when she gets into the real world and people don’t respect her thoughts because they all came from her dumbass bigot parent

• Haha
I'm sure there are many nomeschooled people who wrap it up by noon, we're not those people. I could, if you're interested write both our grandsons daily schedules and show you how a serious learning process is in place. EVERY DAY Monday thru Friday begins at 8:00 am. and ends at 2:10 pm, without exception. There are no phony ass 3-4-5 day weekends either. There are no teacher study days off either.

Core classes M-F are Math, Art, Reading, Social Studies, PE, Keyboard. TU-Thur are Meditation, American History, Reading, Spelling, Sign Language, Spanish, Math, Keyboard and integrated subjects on a every other week schedule.
It's a real curriculum.
Axe out all the ‘social studies’ lib indoctrination, actually focus on math and science… arguably any homeschooled kid of ‘average intelligence’ will be far better prepared for ‘life’ than public-school kids, and you see it every day. And DONE BY NOON! Imagine all of the free time they can use doing things actually constructive…

Know a LOT of homeschooled kids in our little inner circle, and Not all the ‘uber-Christians’, but rather kids with parents actually invested enough in their child’s well-being to take Public School (LPS) entirely out of the equation. I can’t think of ONE child who failed getting through some form of secondary education and getting off of their parents’ payroll, either. Far more predictably and more rapidly independent than Public kids.

You realize she is autistic. She's like an idiot savant, and I know I'm half right.

well-be-watching-you-greta-thunberg.gif

• Wow
I totally agree about the waste of money and a fat bloated system. 100% agree on that.

Turning out dumb kids? I suppose that is debatable but we have the most modern advanced country in the world, probably that the world has ever seen and we did it in 250 years.

Teachers not making kids feel welcome? Sure, it happens. Just like some parent make their kids feel like shit.

Biggest gossipers? Probably depends on the person/teacher, but I could see it. You should probably hear the shit they don't talk about though!

Burnt out? Yeah, some...but remember there are not many jobs where the worker is dealing with people who at times are actively trying to make their job hard/difficult. I guess I would not say most, but some.

A "real job"? Yes please! Working from home every day sounds amazing! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to go meet my friends out for lunch (my friends that have real jobs) once or twice a week and have a nice 60-90 minute lunch!

The thought of making an appt during the day and just going to it, sounds great! Running to the store during the workday, yes please! Calling in "sick" and not having to make plans for my sub, please, yes please!.

Not having people actively working against me during the day, sounds great to me! Not having to get emails about how so and so needs to be treated a certain way because of XYZ...sign me up!

Lack of vacation time around Xmas, that would suck. I did that when I worked a "real job". Summer off, I would miss that.
I'll give you a like on this because we agree to a small extent and disagree to a bit larger extent. All in all a good response. I'll give it a non-binding B+. LOL

Reactions: dinglefritz
24 year public school teacher/coach here(yeah I’m horrible). I teach AP kids almost all of the day.

Here we go I guess. If your kid is a good/great kid, then he/she is going to be good/great at nearly every school(all good in the Metro anyways). Those kids actually take pride in taking a kinda bird’s eye view at the turds, and work their butts off to stay where they are at.

“On-level” kids are the ones who get screwed…many of them get dragged down to the turd level(the kids who want to hang out in the bathroom all day).

Either way, I guess I’m saying that if your kid is a good/great kid, then you’ve got no worries. If your kid is kid that hasn’t been taught at home how to see the difference between turds and respectable kids, then you should probably home school. Either way, it’s about the lessons you teach at home.

It's not so much the bad traffic as the fact that the bad traffic is a result of such terrible planning over decades. It took what, 30+ years for that south beltway to finally be built. Through farmland.
Even so, sadly many truckers still use old hwy 2 thru Lincoln instead; CBA to use the beltway. Appears to be a gigantic waste of money ATM.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT