ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiskers return to the vault as 3 point favorites against NW

Fred absolutely MUST get a true point guard in the transfer portal for next year. Offer Chucky a multi-million-dollar NIL deal to transfer here or something. Lawrence is not a point guard.

At least he hit a couple shots for once

It’s barnyard ball. I was gonna say ghetto ball but it’s even more brutal than that. Then they bailed out Bouie on a drive where he lost the ball jumping sideways into a defender. Guys travel on almost every possession. It’s a joke. A 6’11” buddy of mine that played professionally overseas for a dozen years says he can’t watch basketball today because of how it’s officiated.
Could not agree more. So many missed calls and any time there is action around a guy shooting close to the rim it seems like a foul is called—especially if it’s a marquee player. (See Lebron James, I.e.). One or two of those calls will many times impact the outcome of the game.

6 home games left

Ohio St
Wisky
Rutgers
Michigan
Pedo St
Minny

I would think we're going to be favored in all of these with wisky around a pick.
Wisc will be difficult no matter how well N plays. Have to get the others.

Yeah, but my point stands, Tominaga bailed them out with 7 points in the last 2 mins including 2/4 shooting, 1 trey and 2/2 from FT line.
I wasn’t disagreeing with you about taking terrible shots late in the game. But most were a product of bad strategy rather than bad shot selection. Even with a lead, give me a good shot with :15 on the shot clock rather than a heave at :02 any day of the week.

Last edited:
Reactions: regionsdoc
I think what Zane is saying is he wants to see Fred do some Alpha male complaining, not whine like a beta to the refs, which they HATE!
I meant getting after players a bit. Maybe he does, surreptitiously, in the huddle. And I think I am still mad about the lob play with 3 seconds left with Rutgers. Looked like a plan for .3. Maybe it was just not executed as planned. I hope.

This trapping D is a joke. Hoiberg likes to trap with the bigs and there are several results, more negative than positive.

1. Depending on the team and how well they pass the ball, we can get a few turnovers.
2. It puts us continually in a chase mode where we are getting to the ball late both for doubles and the man left open which leads to more fouls and open shots or both.
3. This chasing also leads to us getting our bigs out of position and unable to find someone to block out. If we get caught in a double and the big passes to another big, someone is not going to get a body on them
4. Besides the easy 3's we are giving up, we are also giving up way too many drives into the lane and passes for layups or slams, way too many and they are often wide open.
5. Playing this kind of D, will naturally lead to more fouls as a player is late to double, reaching and just generally our of position both underneath and out front.

Officials are not going to make calls (as a general rule) if you are in good position and are not reaching. That is simply not the case with us, we are always moving and always reaching, do not know how to go straight up and take the contact instead of initiate it.

This trapping D is a joke. Hoiberg likes to trap with the bigs and there are several results, more negative than positive.

1. Depending on the team and how well they pass the ball, we can get a few turnovers.
2. It puts us continually in a chase mode where we are getting to the ball late both for doubles and the man left open which leads to more fouls and open shots or both.
3. This chasing also leads to us getting our bigs out of position and unable to find someone to block out. If we get caught in a double and the big passes to another big, someone is not going to get a body on them
4. Besides the easy 3's we are giving up, we are also giving up way too many drives into the lane and passes for layups or slams, way too many and they are often wide open.
5. Playing this kind of D, will naturally lead to more fouls as a player is late to double, reaching and just generally our of position both underneath and out front.

Officials are not going to make calls (as a general rule) if you are in good position and are not reaching. That is simply not the case with us, we are always moving and always reaching, do not know how to go straight up and take the contact instead of initiate it.
Completely agree. This strategy should be used against certain teams, but not everyone. We give up way too many wide open 3s.

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
This negative thread about our basketball team that has always been awful, following a win and in the thick of by far the best season we’ve had since I can remember is proof that we will never be a satisfied fan base and bless we are undefeated and winning national championships. Rhule is going to be hated next season even if we go 9-3

Yep, we were 58th in the net rankings before today. Better keep winning.
If we went 6-0 at home to end the season and then won a road game, that would put us at 21-10 overall, 11-9 in Big Ten. At least 4 quad 1 wins (currently have 3 + Wiscy at home). Wonder if that would be enough

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
This all that needs shown from that game. Stop be sloppy with the ball and you win in convincing fashion
Screenshot_20240120_170625_Chrome.jpg

Completely agree. This strategy should be used against certain teams, but not everyone. We give up way too many wide open 3s.
Today I think Fred was determined to get the ball out of Buie’s hands and make someone else beat them. In this case I like the strategy, but the Huskers just don’t have enough athletic defenders so their execution was pretty mediocre. Still, cut back a bit on the points off turnovers and NW would have scored in the low 60s at best.

Last edited:
We aren’t athletic enough to close out against team’s patient enough to make the extra passes acrossed the court.

Be better to straight up defend against teams like Wisconsin. It’s no coincidence many 6th man 3 point shooters on opposing teams have career days against Nebraska.

We aren’t athletic enough to close out against team’s patient enough to make the extra passes acrossed the court.

Be better to straight up defend against teams like Wisconsin. It’s no coincidence many 6th man 3 point shooters on opposing teams have career days against Nebraska.
I would like to see Fred throw some matchup zone at Wisconsin. One the the reasons the Badgers get open 3s is that they have been called for a moving screen since the 1980s. Zone addresses that to some degree.

6 home games left

Ohio St
Wisky
Rutgers
Michigan
Pedo St
Minny

I would think we're going to be favored in all of these with wisky around a pick.

Unfortunately the next five games will likely ruin any chance oh NCAA hope. I predict 1-4 and hope I’m wrong but Nebraska isn’t a complete team.

Ohio St
AT Maryland
Wisconsin
AT Illinois
AT Northwestern

EDIT… I will wait fot the insider gold members to jump the wall and tell me I’m clueless.

• Haha
Reactions: Gary.Busey
This all that needs shown from that game. Stop be sloppy with the ball and you win in convincing fashion
Screenshot_20240120_170625_Chrome.jpg
Agreed but think it’s interesting they only shot 13 3s against Northwestern. They threw up 35 against Rutgers and 26 against Iowa.

If we went 6-0 at home to end the season and then won a road game, that would put us at 21-10 overall, 11-9 in Big Ten. At least 4 quad 1 wins (currently have 3 + Wiscy at home). Wonder if that would be enough
There are probably less than ten teams with 5 quad 1 wins. Purdue is the only one with 6. I would think getting 5 quad one wins and finishing 10-10 in conference play (20-11) overall it would be hard to keep us out. We'd most likely finish around 6-8 in the conference standings. The BIG will get at least 7 teams in the tournament and 5 quad 1 wins would separate us in that 6-8 range on who gets in. We are blinded by the fact we are Nebrasketball. I don't think the selection committee would be as bias as our own fanbase.

Last edited:
There are probably less than ten teams with 5 quad 1 wins. Purdue is the only one with 6. I would think getting 5 quad one wins and finishing 10-10 in conference play (20-11) overall it would be hard to keep us out. We'd most likely finish around 6-8 in the conference standings. The BIG will get at least 7 teams in the tournament and 5 quad 1 wins would separate us in that 6-8 range on who gets in. We are blinded by the fact we are Nebrasketball. I don't think the selection committee would be as biased as our own fanbase.
I’m still jaded from when the tournament left us out at 22-9 a few years ago. Granted I don’t remember many good wins that year, just a close loss to a really good KU team

There are probably less than ten teams with 5 quad 1 wins. Purdue is the only one with 6. I would think getting 5 quad one wins and finishing 10-10 in conference play (20-11) overall it would be hard to keep us out. We'd most likely finish around 6-8 in the conference standings. The BIG will get at least 7 teams in the tournament and 5 quad 1 wins would separate us in that 6-8 range on who gets in. We are blinded by the fact we are Nebrasketball. I don't think the selection committee would be as biased as our own fanbase.
There are only 10 teams that have more quad 1 wins than Nebraska. Not sure why everyone thinks we haven’t beaten anyone.. mind boggling

I think 22 wins (after B10 tourney) minimum and probably 23 to be safe. Pressure doesn't start until get to 9 conference losses. Hopefully don't get there but seems likely.
Didn't realize we played in the MAC conference. Come on. I can't take this post seriously. Guess the only chance we have is to win the conference tourney. There's a reason 18-13 teams from strong conferences make the dance every year.
There are only 10 teams that have more quad 1 wins than Nebraska. Not sure why everyone thinks we haven’t beaten anyone.. mind boggling
Exactly.

Reactions: Gary.Busey
I’m still jaded from when the tournament left us out at 22-9 a few years ago. Granted I don’t remember many good wins that year, just a close loss to a really good KU team
That year analysts were saying we needed one win in the conference tournament to be on the bubble and 2 would probably secure a play-in game. We had ONE quad 1 win. We can easily add on to the 3 we have and get to 4 or 5 this year.

Some of it was that they’re getting mugged around the bucket. It’s brutal. NW’s one big man weighs in at 285. We just can’t hold our own in the paint and Mast isn’t small.
That’s the thing Fred still hasn’t figured out Mast is our biggest guy. They had the 7 ft 285 pound guy. They had another they were saying 6’10”” 250 . That is what Mast is supposedly. I was there in person today.! If 33 for NW is 6’10” 250. There is no way in god’s green that Mast is that . We need a true PG and a rim protector like NW has.

Big ten is pretty down this year, I would say. 8-6 the rest of the way (2 games in the conference tourney) should do the trick, I think.

Reactions: jteten
Didn't realize we played in the MAC conference. Come on. I can't take this post seriously. Guess the only chance we have is to win the conference tourney. There's a reason 18-13 teams from strong conferences make the dance every year.
Our non-con includes 1 good win over K-St. and blow out loss to CU. Margin of victory (and loss) is part of metrics they use. The win over Oregon St. isn't carrying much weight as they are 9-9 overall and 1-6 in conference play. Don't see any other non-con wins to help resume'. And any help we got by beating Purdue was quickly negated by loss at Iowa. 3rd place to 14th place in league is currently separated by 2.5 games with Huskers (tied for 4th) 1 game out of 12th.
Purdue, Illinois and Wisconsin are locks for NCAA tourney unless of have epic collapses. That leaves 3-4 spots left for other Big 10 teams. Other than Michigan St. at #22 in NET there's lots of question marks. Iowa (#48) is 10 spots ahead of us but are 0-6 in Q1. Ohio St. (#50) is 8 places ahead of us being 1-1 in Q1 and 0-4 in Q2 games. Huskers are 3-3 in Q1 but 0-2 in Q2. Northwestern would look like tourney team but they are 74th in NET and have Q4 loss. Big 10 has lots of mediocre teams. And if you think any Big 10 teams (other than MSU) are getting in with 18 total wins I have to disagree. Rutgers, Indiana, Michigan, Penn St., Minnesota and Maryland have lots of work to as they are all 92nd or worse in NET.
Per BracketMatrix it has 6 Big teams in tourney. Huskers are in 75 of 78 brackets and currently 10 seed. NW and MSU also listed as 10 seeds. Ohio St. is in 12 brackets and Iowa made 1 so listed in "at-large" category.
Should add part of my thinking of needing 22-23 wins after Big 10 tourney is being a huge Husker bball fan. And don't want some random AD deciding our fate. If it comes down to Nebraska, Texas, Gonzaga, Miami or Providence for last spot or 2 do you think committee will select Big Red?

Last edited:
The loss to Iowa doesn't in any way cancel the win over Purdue. We've got a bunch of winnable games left. If we mostly win em, we're going to be in good shape.

Our non-con includes 1 good win over K-St. and blow out loss to CU. Margin of victory (and loss) is part of metrics they use. The win over Oregon St. isn't carrying much weight as they are 9-9 overall and 1-6 in conference play. Don't see any other non-con wins to help resume'. And any help we got by beating Purdue was quickly negated by loss at Iowa. 3rd place to 14th place in league is currently separated by 2.5 games with Huskers (tied for 4th) 1 game out of 12th.
Purdue, Illinois and Wisconsin are locks for NCAA tourney unless of have epic collapses. That leaves 3-4 spots left for other Big 10 teams. Other than Michigan St. at #22 in NET there's lots of question marks. Iowa (#48) is 10 spots ahead of us but are 0-6 in Q1. Ohio St. (#50) is 8 places ahead of us being 1-1 in Q1 and 0-4 in Q2 games. Huskers are 3-3 in Q1 but 0-2 in Q2. Northwestern would look like tourney team but they are 74th in NET and have Q4 loss. Big 10 has lots of mediocre teams. And if you think any Big 10 teams (other than MSU) are getting in with 18 total wins I have to disagree. Rutgers, Indiana, Michigan, Penn St., Minnesota and Maryland have lots of work to as they are all 92nd or worse in NET.
Per BracketMatrix it has 6 Big teams in tourney. Huskers are in 75 of 78 brackets and currently 10 seed. NW and MSU also listed as 10 seeds. Ohio St. is in 12 brackets and Iowa made 1 so listed in "at-large" category.
Should add part of my thinking of needing 22-23 wins after Big 10 tourney is being a huge Husker bball fan. And don't want some random AD deciding our fate. If it comes down to Nebraska, Texas, Gonzaga, Miami or Providence for last spot or 2 do you think committee will select Big Red?
Stay in the booth. Peanut gallery has spoken, but facts are facts.. only 10 teams have more Q1 wins than Nebraska, but keep your focus on negatives while ignoring the positives if you’d like.

Stay in the booth. Peanut gallery has spoken, but facts are facts.. only 10 teams have more Q1 wins than Nebraska, but keep your focus on negatives while ignoring the positives if you’d like.
Sorry, not trying to be negative just showing what metrics say. No doubt this team has positives but have to look at other side. Michigan St. currently helping our case by leading Maryland. Don't want to get too high because it makes the lows that much tougher.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT