ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg next coach

Nebraska isn’t getting a coach from a P5 school. We have been nothing but a coaching career graveyard for our entire existence. Money isn’t the lure it used to be as everyone has the money to pay coaches these days. It’s probably time to start over, just don’t be surprised if it’s rinse and repeat all over again. We are who we are when it comes to basketball.
Have you talked with Power 5 coaches or are you just pulling that out of your ass? What is it with Husker fans being such defeatists? It takes 1 guy that can see potential in a place like this. I heard the same damn thing with Football and AD. We got the pick of the litter in both cases. Are all the espn guys that couldnt hack it in their chosen sports hot takes really that damaging to people?

This is the first time we've gone hunting for a BB coach since we've gained a full share of the B1G. The revenue share surpassed $50M last year. If the NUAD is really willing to open up the pocketbook, and it seems that Moos will do what's necessary to compete, it could change things quick in terms of which coaches are "interested."

NU is still not going to pay a BB coach $5M per year, but the fact that our football coach is now at that level allows Moos to go as high as $3M, one would think. That would be good for the 14th highest salary in 2018-19.

Hiring Frost was huge but it didn't require Moos to open his desk drawer. The salary level and years were also pretty much the market rate. It will be interesting to see how aggressive he plays this since it's his first chance to truly put his stamp on the other big revenue sport.

1. Mike Krzyzewski, Duke
Salary: $8.98 million

2. John Calipari, Kentucky
Salary: $7.99 million

3. Chris Holtmann, Ohio State
Salary: $7.15 million

4. Bill Self, Kansas
Salary: $4.95 million

5. Tom Izzo, Michigan State
Salary: $4.36 million

6. Sean Miller, Arizona
Salary: $4.05 million

7. Bob Huggins, West Virginia
Salary: $3.76 million

8. Larry Krystkowiak, Utah
Salary: $3.39 million

9. John Beilein, Michigan
Salary: $3.37 million

10. Archie Miller, Indiana
Salary: $3.2 million

11. Lon Kruger, Oklahoma
Salary: $3.1 million

12. Shaka Smart, Texas
Salary: $3.1 million

13. Gregg Marshall, Wichita State
Salary: $3.04 million

14. Tony Bennett, Virginia
Salary: $3 million

15. Avery Johnson, Alabama
Salary: $2.89 million

16. Scott Drew, Baylor
Salary: $2.87 million

17. Frank Martin, South Carolina
Salary: $2.85 million

18. Brad Underwood, Illinois
Salary: $2.76 million

19. Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech
Salary: $2.75 million

20. Mark Turgeon, Maryland
Salary: $2.7 million

21. Dana Altman, Oregon

22. Cuonzo Martin, Missouri

23. Steve Alford, UCLA
Salary: $2.6 million

24. Jay Wright, Villanova
Salary: $2.56 million

25. Mike Anderson, Arkansas
Salary: $2.55 million

26. Michael White, Florida
Salary: $2.53 million

27. Bruce Pearl, Auburn
Salary: $2.52 million

To get a proven coach here Nebraska IMHO, can’t just offer a competitive salary in comparison to other coaches. Any decent, proven HC will realize, taking the Nebraska job comes with huge risks to that coach’s future. Name me a coach who has held the Nebraska job that has moved on to bigger and better things? Moe Iba to TCU? Doc Sadler to Southern Miss? Danny Nee to Robert Morris, Duquesne, and the Merchant Marine Academy?

Not only is it extremely difficult to win here (obviously because no one has done it), taking this job is hazardous to your future ability to be a successful head coach again.

You want a proven coach to take the job, we’re going to have to pay extra for that coach to take that risk. At least that’s the stance I would take if I were the agent for any potential candidate for the job.

To get a proven coach here Nebraska IMHO, can’t just offer a competitive salary in comparison to other coaches. Any decent, proven HC will realize, taking the Nebraska job comes with huge risks to that coach’s future. Name me a coach who has held the Nebraska job that has moved on to bigger and better things? Moe Iba to TCU? Doc Sadler to Southern Miss? Danny Nee to Robert Morris, Duquesne, and the Merchant Marine Academy?

Not only is it extremely difficult to win here (obviously because no one has done it), taking this job is hazardous to your future ability to be a successful head coach again.

You want a proven coach to take the job, we’re going to have to pay extra for that coach to take that risk. At least that’s the stance I would take if I were the agent for any potential candidate for the job.

Haha this funny. This is not a coach killer job when the coaches that you have hired were never good at all before they got here. Name a proven coach? We had an administration that botched the last 3 hires because they never wanted to invest in a true basketball coaching hire. Always have gone cheep, and for no reason.

Reactions: husker2612
Haha this funny. This is not a coach killer job when the coaches that you have hired were never good at all before they got here. Name a proven coach? We had an administration that botched the last 3 hires because they never wanted to invest in a true basketball coaching hire. Always have gone cheep, and for no reason.

Winning percentage at the job prior to Nebraska:

Nee- Ohio- 62%
Collier- Butler- 60%
Sadler- UTEP- 73%
Miles- CSU- 45% (5 seasons win total of 7,9,16,19, and 20 in order). Just over 50% at Nebraska.

Yep none of these coaches were any good before they got here. It can’t be the fact that it is a difficult place to win. Dana freaking Altman from Wilbur, Nebraska was not interested last year, was that because of $$$???Tell me when you pull your head out of the sand to breathe.

Have you talked with Power 5 coaches or are you just pulling that out of your ass? What is it with Husker fans being such defeatists? It takes 1 guy that can see potential in a place like this. I heard the same damn thing with Football and AD. We got the pick of the litter in both cases. Are all the espn guys that couldnt hack it in their chosen sports hot takes really that damaging to people?

So you think Scott Frost turns down Florida to come to Nebraska if he had zero ties to Nebraska? We got lucky.

Nee- Ohio- 62%
Collier- Butler- 60%
Sadler- UTEP- 73%
Miles- CSU- 45% (5 seasons win total of 7,9,16,19, and 20 in order). Just over 50% at Nebraska.

Yep none of these coaches were any good before they got here. It can’t be the fact that it is a difficult place to win. Dana freaking Altman from Wilbur, Nebraska was not interested last year, was that because of $$$???Tell me when you pull your head out of the sand to breathe.

It wasn’t Collier it was his assistants who made those teams. Matta and Stevens turned out to be some of the best in the biz and as soon as Collier said that he wanted to leave his assistants so butler wouldn’t have to rebuild that should have raised red flags.

Doc Sadler can thanks Billy Gillespie

Miles was a TO cheap hire. TO only talked to 2 coaches. Groce and miles. It’s pretty sad TO didn’t do a proper search

Last edited:
It wasn’t Collier it was his assistants who made those teams. Matta and Stevens turned out to be some of the best in the biz and as soon as Collier said that he wanted to leave his assistants so butler wouldn’t have to rebuild that should have raised red flags.

Miles was a TO cheap hire. TO only talked to 2 coaches. Groce and miles. It’s pretty said TO didn’t do a proper search
TO didn't do much of a search after he fired Callahan, think he talked to turner and bozo. Tom had this thing that you didn't need to spend big money to hire a great coach. But look at his hires, aren't most of them gone? and erstad is on life support.

Reactions: red scowl

Miles was a TO cheap hire. TO only talked to 2 coaches. Groce and miles. It’s pretty sad TO didn’t do a proper search

Yet again, you dodged the fact that a proven native son wasn’t even interested in discussing the job last year. He wasn’t the only one who would not even discuss the possibility of coming here.

I agree that Nebraska hasn’t historically tried real hard to get a P5 proven coach, but you are a fool if you think it won’t cost extra to get one to come to Lincoln.

Nee- Ohio- 62%
Collier- Butler- 60%
Sadler- UTEP- 73%

there is probably some nuance in their records before they got here, but on their face, your points have validity.
i thought it was mentioned here that Altman was done with N before oregon came along since he got passed over before...no?

Yet again, you dodged the fact that a proven native son wasn’t even interested in discussing the job last year. He wasn’t the only one who would not even discuss the possibility of coming here.

I agree that Nebraska hasn’t historically tried real hard to get a P5 proven coach, but you are a fool if you think it won’t cost extra to get one to come to Lincoln.

There was never a conversation with Altman other then through a third party. Moos didn’t have the full green light to make a change last year. I know that for fact. I am not sure who the other coach is you are referring to though.

Reactions: dinglefritz

So you think Scott Frost turns down Florida to come to Nebraska if he had zero ties to Nebraska? We got lucky.
Chip Kelly turned down Florida too, a supposed top 5 Job in College football, for UCLA, a basketball school who has accomplished dick in the world of college football and isn't even the best football school in their own city. We offered Scott more stability, just as much money, better facilities, and more patience than Florida ever could. It was icing on the cake that he's a Husker.

Basketball is a different animal, we don't have tradition, but we can pay a guy $4 Million a year. We have top 10 level facilities. Amazing fan support,(We were 11th in attendance 2 years ago with a team that won 12 games, 12), Fans that will be patient, we've given Tim Miles 7 years with 2 winning seasons, and they will support the program while it's being built up. 10 years ago we played in a shitty run down arena and didn't have a practice facility and we were unable or unwilling to pay for a good coach. That is not the case today. This job is going to be much more attractive to candidates than it was even 7 years ago. Tom hired Tim in large part because he was having success with Nebraska kids and John Groce turned him down for Illinois. Bill Moos is going to be able to snag a far bigger fish based on what this job is today, a really good Power 5 job.

What about the report that Tom Crean wanted this job 2 years ago? The guy has been to a Final four, coached several NBA all stars and a hall of famer in Wade, Won 2 B1G titles and been to 4 Sweet 16's. This is a good job, it wasn't 10 years ago but it is today.

I don't disagree with your general premise. Just because NU/Moos might be willing to spend top 15 money, 'Brasketball fans shouldn't expect a top 15 or top 25 coach to come strolling in.

At the same time, NU has always gone cheap on BB hires before. If we're truly ready to spend like a big boy for the first time ever (to match the big boy facilities we've already ponied up for), we'll at least get a genuine conversation with a rising star, an assistant at a blue blood, someone who might be ready for "one last adventure" (while still delivering results) or maybe someone with baggage (*gasp*) if Moos has room for that.

Most of the candidates mentioned ITT are probably pure fantasy, but NU has to do everything within its power to compete. We can't change the recruiting landscape and we can't go back and change our history. But we can and did upgrade our facilities to enviable levels and we can spend money to attract someone who otherwise wouldn't be in our grasp, wherever our hiring "bubble" lies.

It's just the cost of doing business imo and one of the few bullets NU can fire like a powerhouse when it comes to men's hoops. Now that Riley and Bo are no longer on the payroll (finally) and we're sitting on a full B1G share (finally), there's no excuse to not at least take a big swing at somebody.

Agree, I don't know much about the other coaches, but Miles was nothing special when hired. I think the reason the past ADs when cheap and unproven is because we are a football school. BBall comes 2nd. Their focus was never to spend to get a good coach and compete for NC. It was to go cheap and produce a winning record. If we could sniff the tourney just added benefit. I hope Moos is able to pull in a proven winner and spend the money if need be. There is no reason we can't be a football and BBall school. Many in the Midwest do it.

Reactions: Red Steve
TO didn't do much of a search after he fired Callahan, think he talked to turner and bozo. Tom had this thing that you didn't need to spend big money to hire a great coach. But look at his hires, aren't most of them gone? and erstad is on life support.

No question TO didn’t want to spend a lot of money on a hire like himself he didn’t feel Coach’s should be highly paid..

I don't disagree with your general premise. Just because NU/Moos might be willing to spend top 15 money, 'Brasketball fans shouldn't expect a top 15 or top 25 coach to come strolling in.

At the same time, NU has always gone cheap on BB hires before. If we're truly ready to spend like a big boy for the first time ever (to match the big boy facilities we've already ponied up for), we'll at least get a genuine conversation with a rising star, an assistant at a blue blood, someone who might be ready for "one last adventure" (while still delivering results) or maybe someone with baggage (*gasp*) if Moos has room for that.

Most of the candidates mentioned ITT are probably pure fantasy, but NU has to do everything within its power to compete. We can't change the recruiting landscape and we can't go back and change our history. But we can and did upgrade our facilities to enviable levels and we can spend money to attract someone who otherwise wouldn't be in our grasp, wherever our hiring "bubble" lies.

It's just the cost of doing business imo and one of the few bullets NU can fire like a powerhouse when it comes to men's hoops. Now that Riley and Bo are no longer on the payroll (finally) and we're sitting on a full B1G share (finally), there's no excuse to not at least take a big swing at somebody.

Totally agree. My point is that I doubt Moos can just match another schools offer for a big name. It will have to be a lot better, because no one has ever succeeded here. Anyone who doesn't think that matters is crazy. You want a big name here, we will have to pay, and pay more than probably any other school that might target the same coach.

We are going to have to find a coach who is arrogant enough, confident enough, or crazy enough to think he can win here without an alumni base or athletic department that has shown the willingness to 'cut corners' and play Russian Roulette with the NCAA.

There was never a conversation with Altman other then through a third party. Moos didn’t have the full green light to make a change last year. I know that for fact. I am not sure who the other coach is you are referring to though.

That's because it was communicated through the third party that there'd be zero interest if the job came open.

Chip Kelly turned down Florida too, a supposed top 5 Job in College football, for UCLA, a basketball school who has accomplished dick in the world of college football and isn't even the best football school in their own city. We offered Scott more stability, just as much money, better facilities, and more patience than Florida ever could. It was icing on the cake that he's a Husker.

Basketball is a different animal, we don't have tradition, but we can pay a guy $4 Million a year. We have top 10 level facilities. Amazing fan support,(We were 11th in attendance 2 years ago with a team that won 12 games, 12), Fans that will be patient, we've given Tim Miles 7 years with 2 winning seasons, and they will support the program while it's being built up. 10 years ago we played in a shitty run down arena and didn't have a practice facility and we were unable or unwilling to pay for a good coach. That is not the case today. This job is going to be much more attractive to candidates than it was even 7 years ago. Tom hired Tim in large part because he was having success with Nebraska kids and John Groce turned him down for Illinois. Bill Moos is going to be able to snag a far bigger fish based on what this job is today, a really good Power 5 job.

Tell me how many school made the dance last year that had lesser facilities than Nebraska. How many schools play their games in really old not so nice buildings and succeed? Winning, and winning over a long period of time matters a hell of a lot more. When facilities is your top selling point for a recruit, you are already behind.

there is probably some nuance in their records before they got here, but on their face, your points have validity.
i thought it was mentioned here that Altman was done with N before oregon came along since he got passed over before...no?

Getting the job at Nike U didn't help the chances.

Reactions: tpmcg
That's because it was communicated through the third party that there'd be zero interest if the job came open.

This is in fact false. He would defiantly listen. I know this. Not saying he would take it but he would have let moos make a pitch.

Jeeze people.
Whats Jackson doing these days? Give him a call.

Nothing wrong with dreamin, but if Moos gets any of these guys mentioned he must be a magician. I have no doubt he will open the checkbook and try, but hurley? Cmon.

We will get a lesser known head coach or assistant. Its what we have to do,a dn one of them will pan out. Better than miles.

The PAC-12 is the poorest power five conference. They are currently looking for an investment group or individual for a private equity investment of 4-500 mm. At 10% controlling interest which would be a valuation of 3.6 billion. Lol...

If Nebraska can convince Bobby Hurley they are serious about winning, they have a chance. It will be costly short-term, but if we win... We're nuts. We love the Huskers and boosters love a winner. I'd buy seats to the sweet sixteen.

I hope they don't go cheap.

Tell me how many school made the dance last year that had lesser facilities than Nebraska. How many schools play their games in really old not so nice buildings and succeed? Winning, and winning over a long period of time matters a hell of a lot more. When facilities is your top selling point for a recruit, you are already behind.

Sort of a circular argument though. How many of those schools, that made the dance with lesser facilities, had better tradition when no one had pretty basketball facilities? How many are one hit wonders, that struck it rich on a couple of underrated recruits.

Having tradition or facilities to pair with a name head coach is the key, in my opinion.

Nova still plays some games on their on-campus gym, so does St. John's. Seton Hall and Georgetown basketball facilities are nothing special, just to name a few schools in large metro areas.

I agree those schools that are near large metro areas or in fertile basketball country, have a better shot at getting the big names. But unlike football, you only have 13 players on scholarship, most teams only go 7, maybe 8 deep. 1 or 2 guys can make a huge difference.

So while you may not get a bunch of 5 star players like a Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas, you definitely have a shot of getting some good 4 star players, if you have nice facilities and a name head coach. If you have a dump facility and no tradition, even a great coach is going to be handicapped. But if that great coach, at least, has top notch facilities to recruit to, he has a puncher's chance.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Well there are 32 auto qualifiers and 5 Power conferences plus the Big East. So 26 schools we can assume have smaller budgets and worse facilities won a conference tournament to get in. But we're in the B1G and we don't need to win our conference to get into the dance, we just have to be in the top half of our conference.

Geno Auriemma one of the greatest coaches in the history of basketball said coaches should ask this when considering a job: 'Can we be successful here? I'm not gonna take a job I can't win at. So what makes you successful? What are our facilities like? Whats our recruiting base like? Whats our support like from the university? What about fan base?'

The Nebraska job
can you be successful here? Depends how you define success, winning a national title isn't feasible but making it to the dance every couple of years certainly is if you consider that successful, which I assume most Husker fans would.
Facilities? As good as it gets
Recruiting base? Okay, Nebraska doesn't produce much in terms of basketball talent and the best kids in our region are going to go to Kansas. But we can recruit Chicago, Omaha, Lincoln, Kansas City, Denver, St. Louis, and Minneapolis with some effectiveness.
Support from the University? Historically awful, but in the past 5 years it's been on par with our conference rivals, enough that we can compete for a tourney spot.
Fan Base? As good as it gets

I'm not trying to argue with you that Nebraska is an elite coaching job. It's not, but it is a good one. Maybe Hoiberg goes to UCLA or Texas and Altman probably stays at UO but we can do a helluva a lot better than Tim Miles.

That would be stupid on his part. Dana can get a $4 million dollar offer from Moos show Phil Knight the contract and make $4.5 Million from UO.

Totally agree. My point is that I doubt Moos can just match another schools offer for a big name. It will have to be a lot better, because no one has ever succeeded here. Anyone who doesn't think that matters is crazy. You want a big name here, we will have to pay, and pay more than probably any other school that might target the same coach.

We are going to have to find a coach who is arrogant enough, confident enough, or crazy enough to think he can win here without an alumni base or athletic department that has shown the willingness to 'cut corners' and play Russian Roulette with the NCAA.
with all respect, I believe that we Husker fans have an unnecessary negative viewpoint about Nebraska basketball. We have the facilities, the fan base
for sure and since other programs in our vicinity do quite well (recruiting base, huh), with a superior coach (which we can get, IMO, no doubt), basketball
can be consistently excellent. Everything is in place except for our negative outlook which WE can change with everything else in place. Football school,
yeah, but so is Oklahoma, Michigan, Wisconsin, Notre Dame: Those universities as well as NU, seem to present both and football programs that do well:
there is no reason whatsoever that Huskerland can't do so as well...Andale, AD Moos !

Well there are 32 auto qualifiers and 5 Power conferences plus the Big East. So 26 schools we can assume have smaller budgets and worse facilities won a conference tournament to get in. But we're in the B1G and we don't need to win our conference to get into the dance, we just have to be in the top half of our conference.

Geno Auriemma one of the greatest coaches in the history of basketball said coaches should ask this when considering a job: 'Can we be successful here? I'm not gonna take a job I can't win at. So what makes you successful? What are our facilities like? Whats our recruiting base like? Whats our support like from the university? What about fan base?'

The Nebraska job
can you be successful here? Depends how you define success, winning a national title isn't feasible but making it to the dance every couple of years certainly is if you consider that successful, which I assume most Husker fans would.
Recruiting base? Okay, Nebraska doesn't produce much in terms of basketball talent and the best kids in our region are going to go to Kansas. But we can recruit Chicago, Omaha, Lincoln, Kansas City, Denver, St. Louis, and Minneapolis with some effectiveness.
Support from the University? Historically awful, but in the past 5 years it's been on par with our conference rivals, enough that we can compete for a tourney spot.

I'm not trying to argue with you that Nebraska is an elite coaching job. It's not, but it is a good one. Maybe Hoiberg goes to UCLA or Texas and Altman probably stays at UO but we can do a helluva a lot better than Tim Miles.

Looking at it from an investment perspective, it is foolish not to offer a great established coach the money and contract he wants. Imo, I would start at $4mm and 5 years; expecting $6mm @ 7 years. If you are a winner, licensing agreements become negotiable. Nebraska will not have a history of winning, unless it starts.

Lawrence, Kansas for recruiting.

Why should that be a problem? Money is a vehicle too more money. We have been investing in bonds of the treasury. It's time we put our balls on the table and invest in gold futures. I'll give them some money, as long as they aren't trying to hedge their bets.

The Nebraska job

I think we all need to come to grips with the fact that we are as good as we are going to get unless we start cheating.

Reactions: newAD
I don't believe we cannot win here. If Bill Snyder could wake up Ksu football from hibernation i don't see why Nebraska basketball couldn't be transformed into a winner. Just have to find that right guy. I know easier said than done but he has got to be out there somewhere. The trick is will be to convince him to stay when he does have some success.

find an AAU star, drop off a duffel bag of cash & give jobs to parents just like KSU did with Michael Beasley

abra cadabra, a glossed-over NCAA slap on the wrist later & you're a basketball school

I think we all need to come to grips with the fact that we are as good as we are going to get unless we start cheating.

I've tried to make this point many times. College basketball is incredibly dirty. Has been for a long time, and it is no secret. As long as one recruit can be a potential program changer, it will be dirty. Hell UConn self reported their own dirtiness that I can't believe they didn't know about, in order to get out of paying Kevin Ollie $10 million.

The NCAA allowing for players to be paid wont end the problem as long as someone is willing to offer more than the limit allows.

Nebraska has yet to show that it has an alumni that are rich enough and care enough to get dirty, let alone an athletic department to participate or turn a blind eye to it.

Reactions: IowaHuskr
Hoiberg isn’t coming... if you want to watch a fun team turn in ESPN2. Nate Oats and Buffalo are tough and fun to watch. Just had a possession when they got 5 straight Offensive rebounds and ended with and And 1 layup on the 5th one. Not a player over 6’9” on the court either
Who were they playing when they did that?:rolleyes:

Ok does 10 mill a year get coach K here?

tenor.gif

Who were they playing when they did that?:rolleyes:
Doesn’t matter who they were playing, they were playing hard and never quit on the play. How many times can Nebraska say that recently? They play hard and have the 6th highest scoring offense in the nation. I’m not sure how many of these guys Oats recruited himself but they play hard for him and the are well coached.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT