ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg next coach

Hoiberg isn’t coming... if you want to watch a fun team turn in ESPN2. Nate Oats and Buffalo are tough and fun to watch. Just had a possession when they got 5 straight Offensive rebounds and ended with and And 1 layup on the 5th one. Not a player over 6’9” on the court either

Hoiberg isn’t coming... if you want to watch a fun team turn in ESPN2. Nate Oats and Buffalo are tough and fun to watch. Just had a possession when they got 5 straight Offensive rebounds and ended with and And 1 layup on the 5th one. Not a player over 6’9” on the court either

Yep, I've been saying Oats for a while now. Buffalo is one of the highest-scoring teams in the country. No more ineptitude on offense if we'd hire him.

He's from the Midwest, I think he would take the job in a heartbeat.

Reactions: cdriftt24
This morning sipple said two sources have indicated Hoiberg has inquired about it.

Here’s the only one I can find saying that on Twitter. Some guy named Nick Golic Jr. I’m sure it’s TOTALLY LEGIT.

I would love to get Hoiberg but I firmly believe there are "sources" who whisper stuff to Sipple just to see if he's dense enough to print it.

Right there with you on both points.

That would qualify as a “WOW” hire for Nebraska, and if it were announced tomorrow I’d drink heavily and jump around celebrating outside in the coming blizzard. However until it happens, I don’t believe it.

Reactions: resdog851

I’d be happy to get Oats, but I’d bet other schools are going to be after him starting with Penn State and Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
I've heard/read a few times that Hoiberg doesn't like to recruit. If that's true, I don't see him coming back to the college game unless he goes to a traditional bball school that makes recruiting relatively easy.

I agree that Sipp is getting trolled and/or Hoiberg's agent is making sure his name is out there.

As a Bulls fan, gotta say Hoiberg wouldn't exactly be a thrilling hire for me. That being said, we could do worse.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Ummm, zero expectations, sweet arena that's sold out, millions a year, for missing the tourney every year. Sounds pretty kushy to me!!!

Exactly. Not like anyone is going to expect anything next year or even the year after. And unlike football, it only takes one or 2 years of recruiting to be able to be competitive in basketball.

He’s almost guaranteed 7 years of coaching here even if he put out a terrible product. Can’t say that about most places

I’d be happy to get Oats, but I’d bet other schools are going to be after him starting with Penn State and Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh just hired Jeff Capel last year. And I'm not sure PSU will fire Chambers, he has a big buyout and he's well-liked there. Even if they do, we can outspend them and have way better facilities and fan support.

Pittsburgh just hired Jeff Capel last year. And I'm not sure PSU will fire Chambers, he has a big buyout and he's well-liked there. Even if they do, we can outspend them and have way better facilities and fan support.

New York City, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Washington DC, and Buffalo are all within 4 hours of State College. That’s a hell of a recruiting advantage over Lincoln.

Listened to a podcast that had an NCAA insider. He mentioned that Rick Patino will coach again, at the latest he thought by next offseasonnjed be hired? What would you think of that hire? He did go on to say his #1 Target if he was hiring at Nebraska would be Nate Oats from Buffalo. Also mentioned that he was hired by Danny White.... UCF AD who also hired Hurley at Buffalo and then Oats, Frost and Dawkins at UCF. That guy has made some good hires.

Hoiberg was quoted in the Des Moines Register that he’d not rule out coaching in college again. Nebraska was mentioned in the article as place he might entertain since he was born in Lincoln and his grandfather once coached the Cornhuskers.

Reactions: zoiker
Hoiberg was quoted in the Des Moines Register that he’d not rule out coaching in college again. Nebraska was mentioned in the article as place he might entertain since he was born in Lincoln and his grandfather once coached the Cornhuskers.

The article you noted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.desmoinesregister.com/amp/2925294002

A couple of interesting but potentially meaningless tidbits.

I have a kid who is a freshman at UNL. He met a girl this week who is a student and said Hoiberg is her uncle. Don’t know her name and can’t confirm that is true.

Also, I didn’t realize this until this week, but he has a son who is a walk-on redshirt freshman PG at Michigan State.

https://msuspartans.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8796

Last edited:
The article you noted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.desmoinesregister.com/amp/2925294002

A couple of interesting but potentially meaningless tidbits.

I have a kid who is a freshman at UNL. He met a girl this week who is a student and said Hoiberg is her uncle. Don’t know her name and can’t confirm that is true.

Also, I didn’t realize this until this week, but he has a son who is a walk-on redshirt freshman PG at Michigan State.

https://msuspartans.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8796

Fred Hoiberg's niece is a student-manager for the Nebraska basketball team.

Reactions: newAD
Listened to a podcast that had an NCAA insider. He mentioned that Rick Patino will coach again, at the latest he thought by next offseasonnjed be hired? What would you think of that hire? He did go on to say his #1 Target if he was hiring at Nebraska would be Nate Oats from Buffalo. Also mentioned that he was hired by Danny White.... UCF AD who also hired Hurley at Buffalo and then Oats, Frost and Dawkins at UCF. That guy has made some good hires.

The risk with Oats is he did not build up the Buffalo program. He has sustained it. Bobby Hurley is the one that turned that program around. Building and sustaining are totally two different things.

Hoiberg rebuilt Iowa State. When coach McDermott left Iowa state, it was a shit show. Love the jays or hate them, what Coach McDermott has done in Omaha speaks for itself. That’s not the point. I’m not hear to talk about Coach Mc. My point is, Hoiberg built Iowa state back up. Oats ability to build has yet to be seen. And we need someone to build in Lincoln. Not someone whose been shown the way and can sustain it. Maybe Oats can build. Who knows. Just saying between the two Hoiberg is a clearly the better man for the job.

Also, lot of people in Nebraska would never be ok with Patino coaching here. I’d love it but Too many Tom Osborne types and not enough bob devaney types as fans to allow that. Patino will be a running rebel soon. And that’s a great place for him and I’d love to see UNLV back at the top again

How much would it cost for us to land Bobby Hurley?

He received a 700,000 raise and now makes 2.1 million at Arizona St..

He would be a damn good basketball coach to have..

Reactions: spinner4
How much would it cost for us to land Bobby Hurley?

He received a 700,000 raise and now makes 2.1 million at Arizona St..

He would be a damn good basketball coach to have..

Bobby would be an amazing hire and would fit in well with the state. Getting him to leave ASU would be a tall task though. He’s just now starting to win there and not sure he’d one to start over again

Reactions: scarletred
Jeeze people.
Whats Jackson doing these days? Give him a call.

Nothing wrong with dreamin, but if Moos gets any of these guys mentioned he must be a magician. I have no doubt he will open the checkbook and try, but hurley? Cmon.

We will get a lesser known head coach or assistant. Its what we have to do,a dn one of them will pan out. Better than miles.

Nebraska isn’t getting a coach from a P5 school. We have been nothing but a coaching career graveyard for our entire existence. Money isn’t the lure it used to be as everyone has the money to pay coaches these days. It’s probably time to start over, just don’t be surprised if it’s rinse and repeat all over again. We are who we are when it comes to basketball.

Reactions: steelclaw
Jeeze people.
Whats Jackson doing these days? Give him a call.

Nothing wrong with dreamin, but if Moos gets any of these guys mentioned he must be a magician. I have no doubt he will open the checkbook and try, but hurley? Cmon.

We will get a lesser known head coach or assistant. Its what we have to do,a dn one of them will pan out. Better than miles.

Rather have a dream of someone like Hurly than Tyron Lue..o_O

Reactions: huskerfan1414
This is the first time we've gone hunting for a BB coach since we've gained a full share of the B1G. The revenue share surpassed $50M last year. If the NUAD is really willing to open up the pocketbook, and it seems that Moos will do what's necessary to compete, it could change things quick in terms of which coaches are "interested."

NU is still not going to pay a BB coach $5M per year, but the fact that our football coach is now at that level allows Moos to go as high as $3M, one would think. That would be good for the 14th highest salary in 2018-19.

Hiring Frost was huge but it didn't require Moos to open his desk drawer. The salary level and years were also pretty much the market rate. It will be interesting to see how aggressive he plays this since it's his first chance to truly put his stamp on the other big revenue sport.

1. Mike Krzyzewski, Duke
Salary: $8.98 million

2. John Calipari, Kentucky
Salary: $7.99 million

3. Chris Holtmann, Ohio State
Salary: $7.15 million

4. Bill Self, Kansas
Salary: $4.95 million

5. Tom Izzo, Michigan State
Salary: $4.36 million

6. Sean Miller, Arizona
Salary: $4.05 million