ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg next coach

tenor.gif
Was just curious what kind of money it would take to get a great coach to a place like Nebraska basketball. Would a coach k come to Nebraska for that kind of money? Same goes for say a nick Sabin going to k st? Or do those coaches not even consider going to a no name school at any price?

Doesn’t matter who they were playing, they were playing hard and never quit on the play. How many times can Nebraska say that recently? They play hard and have the 6th highest scoring offense in the nation. I’m not sure how many of these guys Oats recruited himself but they play hard for him and the are well coached.
Context matters. You can't pull one game out against Fumduck U and use that as a generalization about a team or coach. NU has played hard and looked great at times against lesser opponents. I do think Buffalo has a decent team this year but I also watched them crap the bed on TV against a better opponent this year.

Was just curious what kind of money it would take to get a great coach to a place like Nebraska basketball. Would a coach k come to Nebraska for that kind of money? Same goes for say a nick Sabin going to k st? Or do those coaches not even consider going to a no name school at any price?
A guy coaching at one of the blue blood basketball schools would never come to NU just for a few more bucks. Guys like K or Williams already have more money than they know what to do with. They want rings and the road to get another ring is WAY tougher at NU than it is when you're surrounded by talent and tradition. Our best bet is either a disgraced guy or a guy from a smaller school with less tradition. I don't see any other way. Hiring an assistant from a blue blood is really a crap shoot IMO too.

Hoiberg isn’t coming... if you want to watch a fun team turn in ESPN2. Nate Oats and Buffalo are tough and fun to watch. Just had a possession when they got 5 straight Offensive rebounds and ended with and And 1 layup on the 5th one. Not a player over 6’9” on the court either
Nah, it’s smoke here!!

Wouldn't it be great if we could get an honest answer from coaches?

Coach K turned down 40 million and the Lakers I believe.

This is in fact false. He would defiantly listen. I know this. Not saying he would take it but he would have let moos make a pitch.

Well there was some sort of communication last year, and he's not here, so what does that tell you? I can't prove it's true, but you sure can't prove it's false.

Well there was some sort of communication last year, and he's not here, so what does that tell you? I can't prove it's true, but you sure can't prove it's false.

I’m not gonna get in a pissing match with you but I know for a fact if the job would have come open he would have listened to moos. Again I’m not saying he would have taken the job but he would have listened. This is not speculation on my part.

Our next basketball coach should be paid more than HCSF. If he isnt, we probably hired another Saddler, Miles etc... Tradition isnt established without a beginning.

with all respect, I believe that we Husker fans have an unnecessary negative viewpoint about Nebraska basketball. We have the facilities, the fan base
for sure and since other programs in our vicinity do quite well (recruiting base, huh), with a superior coach (which we can get, IMO, no doubt), basketball
can be consistently excellent. Everything is in place except for our negative outlook which WE can change with everything else in place. Football school,
yeah, but so is Oklahoma, Michigan, Wisconsin, Notre Dame: Those universities as well as NU, seem to present both and football programs that do well:
there is no reason whatsoever that Huskerland can't do so as well...Andale, AD Moos !

Facilities. Whoop de do. So do other schools. What exactly have these facilities got us since 2013, but 0-1 in the dance. That is what counts. How many big name legit non-conference games have been played in PBA??

Fan Base. Whoop de do. Lincoln is a city of 260,000 people and manages to fill a 15,000 seat arena. Congrats. The Stars have decent attendance too don't they? All the states you listed have much better high school basketball throughout their entire state than Nebraska does. Look at the top 30 in attendance in 2018, and we are the school that pretty much doesn't belong in that group.

Oklahoma:
41-31 in NCAA tournament (most recent record I can find)
Oklahoma City- 1.3 Million people
Tulsa- 960,000 metro (slightly larger than Omaha)
State population- 3.9 million
3 hours from Dallas
Bordering States Population- 47.8 million
Program has been on NCAA probation

Michigan:
54-26 in NCAA tournament history (1 NC, 3 runner ups since 89)
Detroit Metro Population- 4.3 million
Grand Rapids Metro- 1 million
State population- 9.9 million
Bordering States- 18.4 million (oh but there is Canada/Brazdeikis)
Program has been on NCAA probation.

Wisconsin:
38-22 in NCAA tournament history (runner up in 2015)
Milwaukee Metro Population- 1.6 million
Madison Metro Population- 660,000
State Population- 5.8 million
2.5 hours from Chicago
Bordering States Population- 31.6

Notre Dame:
38-40 in NCAA tournament history
In a basketball crazy state with almost 7 million people
Recruits nationally
Less than 2 hours from Chicago

Nebraska:
MCAA tournament history 0-7
Omaha Metro Population- 975,000
Lincoln Metro Population- 331,000
Nebraska population- 1.92
Nearest 'major metro'- Kansas City- 2.2 million
Bordering states population- 19 million

Lincoln the 2nd largest city/metro in the state. Compare that to Tulsa, Grand Rapids, and Madison. How often exactly does Lincoln produce a P5 level D1 recruit? Donovan Williams will be the first since what, Nick Bahe and Matt Hill????

Omaha has done better, but currently doesn't produce enough that even if Nebraska got all the good ones instead of Creighton, they'd still have to go further than other schools quality players.

Have you been to summer AAU tournaments in the region? I've been to quite a few. Omaha is having some decent regional ones, but the big ones are still in much larger cities. You think Lincoln's location isn't a big hurdle when a lot of these talent laden summer AAU teams have parents who can't afford to travel with their sons over the summer?

We have everything here? Like a trophy case that shows a sustained level of success that sells recruits and coaches that they could win here?

Our nearest major metro is a relatively small one in KC, which is in Kansas' back yard, and other more sustained programs just as close with a history of winning to sell recruits and coaches on, also recruit there.

So sorry, you statement that everything is in place here makes me laugh. Much more of the things needed to succeed are at other places, not here. That is not a negative attitude, those are facts. To win in Lincoln Nebraska will take a lot more just about every other P5 (and a lot of other conference jobs).

Don't get me wrong, I hope Nebraska finally tries to get "A Name", but I'm realistic enough to realize that it will cost and cost plenty, and there is ZERO guarantee of success even if we get one. I sure as hell hope that if we get "A Name" here after Miles, that he does succeed. If we pony up the bucks, and he fails, we may never get another person to take this job.

I’m not gonna get in a pissing match with you but I know for a fact if the job would have come open he would have listened to moos. Again I’m not saying he would have taken the job but he would have listened. This is not speculation on my part.

So you are saying Moos had to actually fire Miles last year to get him to consider the job???? He couldn't inquire though back channels to see if he would be IF it came open. Ok whatever. LaughingLaughingLaughing

Facilities. Whoop de do. So do other schools. What exactly have these facilities got us since 2013, but 0-1 in the dance. That is what counts. How many big name legit non-conference games have been played in PBA??

Fan Base. Whoop de do. Lincoln is a city of 260,000 people and manages to fill a 15,000 seat arena. Congrats. The Stars have decent attendance too don't they? All the states you listed have much better high school basketball throughout their entire state than Nebraska does. Look at the top 30 in attendance in 2018, and we are the school that pretty much doesn't belong in that group.

Oklahoma:
3 hours from Dallas

Michigan:

Wisconsin:
2.5 hours from Chicago

Notre Dame:
Recruits nationally

Nebraska:

Lincoln the 2nd largest city/metro in the state. Compare that to Tulsa, Grand Rapids, and Madison. How often exactly does Lincoln produce a P5 level D1 recruit? Donovan Williams will be the first since what, Nick Bahe and Matt Hill????

Omaha has done better, but currently doesn't produce enough that even if Nebraska got all the good ones instead of Creighton, they'd still have to go further than other schools quality players.

Have you been to summer AAU tournaments in the region? I've been to quite a few. Omaha is having some decent regional ones, but the big ones are still in much larger cities. You think Lincoln's location isn't a big hurdle when a lot of these talent laden summer AAU teams have parents who can't afford to travel with their sons over the summer?

We have everything here? Like a trophy case that shows a sustained level of success that sells recruits and coaches that they could win here?

Our nearest major metro is a relatively small one in KC, which is in Kansas' back yard, and other more sustained programs just as close with a history of winning to sell recruits and coaches on, also recruit there.

So sorry, you statement that everything is in place here makes me laugh. Much more of the things needed to succeed are at other places, not here. That is not a negative attitude, those are facts. To win in Lincoln Nebraska will take a lot more just about every other P5 (and a lot of other conference jobs).

Don't get me wrong, I hope Nebraska finally tries to get "A Name", but I'm realistic enough to realize that it will cost and cost plenty, and there is ZERO guarantee of success even if we get one. I sure as hell hope that if we get "A Name" here after Miles, that he does succeed. If we pony up the bucks, and he fails, we may never get another person to take this job.
Dana built a winner in Oregon and they are about as isolated as we are. They hadn't done jack shit the 30 years prior to getting Ernie Kent there, and I can't imagine kids cared that Oregon won a national title in the 30s. Dana has signed one Oregon kid in the past 5 years, you don't need to be in a mecca of basketball talent to be a good team. You need what our program currently has and a good coach. We can get that here.

The risk with Oats is he did not build up the Buffalo program. He has sustained it. Bobby Hurley is the one that turned that program around. Building and sustaining are totally two different things.

Hoiberg rebuilt Iowa State. When coach McDermott left Iowa state, it was a shit show. Love the jays or hate them, what Coach McDermott has done in Omaha speaks for itself. That’s not the point. I’m not hear to talk about Coach Mc. My point is, Hoiberg built Iowa state back up. Oats ability to build has yet to be seen. And we need someone to build in Lincoln. Not someone whose been shown the way and can sustain it. Maybe Oats can build. Who knows. Just saying between the two Hoiberg is a clearly the better man for the job.

Also, lot of people in Nebraska would never be ok with Patino coaching here. I’d love it but Too many Tom Osborne types and not enough bob devaney types as fans to allow that. Patino will be a running rebel soon. And that’s a great place for him and I’d love to see UNLV back at the top again

This isnt really accurate^^^
Hurley was only at Buff for two years and Oats was an assistant during that time anyway, and Oats has been the HC for 4 yrs at buff compared to Hurleys 2. Oats has taken them to a higher rung than Hurley ever did. If anything, its more of oats thumbprint on Buffalos turnaround than Hurleys as he has been there 6 yrs now compared to hurleys 2.

Hoiberg didnt exactly take over the Titanic when he got to Iowa St either. They had a good run of coaches w Orr, Floyd, and Eustachey (all in a row) then they had a hiccup w mcdermott for 4 years. That is not exactly a horrible situation to take over for or what I would call a major rebuild job.

Yeah Hoiberg did a good job, but if he doesn't like to recruit, that is not going to sit well and if it is the case he would just be biding his time until an NBA job he liked opened up.

I would have to watch buff play to see if I like their coach and style, but if he likes to recruit I would prib take him over hoiberg. And if he runs a fast paced high scoring style then it would seem that he could recruit at a good clip as kids want to play in that type of system.

This isnt really accurate^^^
Hurley was only at Buff for two years and Oats was an assistant during that time anyway, and Oats has been the HC for 4 yrs at buff compared to Hurleys 2. Oats has taken them to a higher rung than Hurley ever did. If anything, its more of oats thumbprint on Buffalos turnaround than Hurleys as he has been there 6 yrs now compared to hurleys 2.

Hoiberg didnt exactly take over the Titanic when he got to Iowa St either. They had a good run of coaches w Orr, Floyd, and Eustachey (all in a row) then they had a hiccup w mcdermott for 4 years. That is not exactly a horrible situation to take over for or what I would call a major rebuild job.

Yeah Hoiberg did a good job, but if he doesn't like to recruit, that is not going to sit well and if it is the case he would just be biding his time until an NBA job he liked opened up.

I would have to watch buff play to see if I like their coach and style, but if he likes to recruit I would prib take him over hoiberg. And if he runs a fast paced high scoring style then it would seem that he could recruit at a good clip as kids want to play in that type of system.
While he may be a nice coach, my problem with Oats is that he is more of the same small potatoes that we have been going after for the past 20 years, back when we weren't top 15 in attendance and didn't have a top 10 arena/practice facility combo, and couldn't/wouldn't pay for a brand name coach. In one interview Oats described himself as a high school math teacher. Which 6 years ago he was one. Oats makes 600k, I'd assume if we got him he'd be paid probably 1.2 to 1.5. That doesn't send the right message to teams or recruits across the country that Nebraska is serious about basketball.

While he may be a nice coach, my problem with Oats is that he is more of the same small potatoes that we have been going after for the past 20 years, back when we weren't top 15 in attendance and didn't have a top 10 arena/practice facility combo, and couldn't/wouldn't pay for a brand name coach. In one interview Oats described himself as a high school math teacher. Which 6 years ago he was one. Oats makes 600k, I'd assume if we got him he'd be paid probably 1.2 to 1.5. That doesn't send the right message to teams or recruits across the country that Nebraska is serious about basketball.

Oats isn't my first choice, but he might be the best choice of guys who would actually take the job. We need to be realistic here. No proven P5 guy like Hoiberg or Altman is taking this job.

At least Oats has accomplished something that the last 3 mid-major guys we hired didn't: he has won an NCAA tournament game as a head coach. And FWIW, Bobby Hurley did not even win an NCAA tourney game at Buffalo before ASU hired him. If Buffalo can get to the Sweet 16 this year, Oats will get better offers than Nebraska.

Oats isn't my first choice, but he might be the best choice of guys who would actually take the job. We need to be realistic here. No proven P5 guy like Hoiberg or Altman is taking this job.

At least Oats has accomplished something that the last 3 mid-major guys we hired didn't: he has won an NCAA tournament game as a head coach. And FWIW, Bobby Hurley did not even win an NCAA tourney game at Buffalo before ASU hired him. If Buffalo can get to the Sweet 16 this year, Oats will get better offers than Nebraska.
True but what jobs are coming open? UCLA we know for sure. Likely Texas, Maybe Miami, Okie State, Nebraska, Wazzu, Cal, maybe USC, Vanderbilt, Mizzou, Texas A&M.

Texas, USC, Miami, and UCLA are clearly the top 4 jobs

I'd put us in the next tier with Mizzou and A&M. We can likely pay more than Mizzou, probably similar to what A&M pays. So were probably like 5th to 7th among jobs open. But can and from what we know about Moos will pay top 10 to top 5 money in the entire country.

The top candidates for everybody seem to be Hoiberg, Musselman, Chris Beard, Mick Cronin, and Buzz Williams.

Beard probably goes to Texas
Musselman to UCLA
Cronin to Miami
Hoiberg to USC

Guys I think Moos will go after are Hoiberg(which I think there is a slim chance but doubtful. His family has history here and he's a midwest guy, there are reports from Sipple that he's interested.), Dana Altman (again a slim chance, but Moos reached out to him last year without much luck), If Moos can't attract a brand name guy, my guess is that he would go after Travis Decuire who is the current coach of Montana, Moos was AD at Montana when Decuire played at Montana. Not a big name, but a young african american guy that Moos knows and I'm sure would be comfortable with running the program.

Hoiberg would need Frost type money to return to coaching college kids imo.

And he doesn't need the money after what the Bulls paid him. The only way he'd take a college job is if it's a blue-blood school that doesn't require much recruiting effort. I think more than likely he will get offers to coach in the NBA again soon.

And he doesn't need the money after what the Bulls paid him. The only way he'd take a college job is if it's a blue-blood school that doesn't require much recruiting effort. I think more than likely he will get offers to coach in the NBA again soon.
I'm not sure how much effort it would take for Hoiberg to recruit to NU. It's not like you're trying to fill a class with 27 blue chippers every year. Hoiberg is a likeable charismatic guy and AAU players would want to play for him.

Reactions: mmunso7
The risk with Oats is he did not build up the Buffalo program. He has sustained it. Bobby Hurley is the one that turned that program around. Building and sustaining are totally two different things.

Hoiberg rebuilt Iowa State. When coach McDermott left Iowa state, it was a shit show. Love the jays or hate them, what Coach McDermott has done in Omaha speaks for itself. That’s not the point. I’m not hear to talk about Coach Mc. My point is, Hoiberg built Iowa state back up. Oats ability to build has yet to be seen. And we need someone to build in Lincoln. Not someone whose been shown the way and can sustain it. Maybe Oats can build. Who knows. Just saying between the two Hoiberg is a clearly the better man for the job.

Also, lot of people in Nebraska would never be ok with Patino coaching here. I’d love it but Too many Tom Osborne types and not enough bob devaney types as fans to allow that. Patino will be a running rebel soon. And that’s a great place for him and I’d love to see UNLV back at the top again
There is not a single player at Buffalo now who was not recruited by Oats. Hurley has been gone for four years and the last two years, the most successful in Buffalo history, are the result of Oats recruited players. I think it is fair to say that Oats is responsible for the current success of Buffalo. The program is his. Check out this article. If Miles is fired, he is a great option.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/03/13/how-nate-oats-co-kept-ubs-hoops-juggernaut-rolling/

There is not a single player at Buffalo now who was not recruited by Oats. Hurley has been gone for four years and the last two years, the most successful in Buffalo history, are the result of Oats recruited players. I think it is fair to say that Oats is responsible for the current success of Buffalo. The program is his. Check out this article. If Miles is fired, he is a great option.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/03/13/how-nate-oats-co-kept-ubs-hoops-juggernaut-rolling/
And if you can recruit to Buffalo, YOU CAN RECRUIT TO ANYWHERE.

Reactions: mmunso7
I'm not sure how much effort it would take for Hoiberg to recruit to NU. It's not like you're trying to fill a class with 27 blue chippers every year. Hoiberg is a likeable charismatic guy and AAU players would want to play for him.
Agree...Hoiberg 1st year would be with mostly transfers mixed in with a couple 4 star high school stars. I really think he could turn the Huskers into a top tier Big Ten team in a year or two. He has that name recognition and the style of play that players want to play.

It's pretty funny reading all of the posts that Hoiberg would never come to Lincoln.

Last edited:
Reactions: Razorhawk2
New York City, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Washington DC, and Buffalo are all within 4 hours of State College. That’s a hell of a recruiting advantage over Lincoln.

Spokane is in the middle of nowhere. Sure Seattle and Portland have produced some decent players, but those two cities are 4 and 5.5 hours away. Gonzaga has had to go far and wide to recruit kids. They run it like a first class operation. The university really supports the team. They have their own plane for road games. They have their own gym that is always sold out. It didn't happen overnight but with a couple of good coaches, Monson and now Few for the last 20 years they've established themselves as a major power. With a good coach, good facilities and proper support from the school kids will come. I don't see why the Huskers can't do the same thing. It just takes commitment.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Steve Alford 2.6 M, what a rip off he stole from UCLA..:Cool:

Didn't Alford make three Sweet 16s? He was winning, but not enough. Then how could he recruit after the fans turned on him and the school did not support him? I bet his successor doesn't do any better. Too high of expectations. John Wooden and his benefactor Sam Gilbert (illegal if you listen to Digger) are long gone.

Last edited:
It's pretty funny reading all of the posts that Hoiberg would never come to Lincoln.
I thought Hoiberg was coming when I started this thread and couldn’t believe all those that just didn’t see it happening when it seemed like it was pretty much a done deal weeks ago. It is fun to read the old posts saying he’d never come...though truely a grand slam hire.

Last edited:

Oklahoma:
3 hours from Dallas

Michigan:

Wisconsin:
2.5 hours from Chicago

Notre Dame:
Recruits nationally

Nebraska:

If ISU can be competitive in th Big 12 and make the NCAA Tournament on a regular basis and even advance to the sweet 16 the UNL can do it also.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I thought Hoiberg was coming when I started this thread and couldn’t believe all those that just didn’t see it happening when it seemed like it was pretty much a done deal weeks ago. It is fun to read the old posts saying he’d never come...though truely a grand slam hire.
Yes the doom and gloom of the Husker Hoops fan base is hopefully dying off. Lots of regulars posted how we'd not only miss out on FH but we wouldn't even get a Power 5 coach. Moos killed the doom and gloom in one fell swoop and he should be commended for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT