ADVERTISEMENT

Help Is On The Way

huskerbaseball13

Nebraska Legend
Jul 30, 2003
Short clip on Big Ten basketball recruiting. At the end Paul Biancardi has Glynn Watson as his top sleeper pick in this years Big Ten class. Hope he's right, we need instant help at the PG position.

Watson

I'll wait till I see him on the floor. One of the ESPN guys(can't remember which) had Tai Webster as a Top 50 type recruit if he lived in the US.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by headcard:
Also has Nebraska as top sleeper class in the nation.
I would say the top 'sleeper' class in the nation is our junior class.

Originally posted by huskerbaseball13:

Short clip on Big Ten basketball recruiting. At the end Paul Biancardi has Glynn Watson as his top sleeper pick in this years Big Ten class. Hope he's right, we need instant help at the PG position.
I'm not sure how our recruiting class could be considered a sleeper and if Watson plays at a high level I don't think anybody will be surprised. I don't expect us to win the B1G next year, but I expect us to be a much improved offensive team. The addition of White should help us immediately.

Originally posted by kaz36:
I'll wait till I see him on the floor. One of the ESPN guys(can't remember which) had Tai Webster as a Top 50 type recruit if he lived in the US.
Yep. Right now, the role of the point guard in Miles' offense is to hand the ball to Petteway and run to the deep corner. Hopefully Miles changes to a more conventional offense next year and has the players at least attempt a fast break now and then, otherwise I don't see much of a chance for a young point guard to shine.

This post was edited on 2/25 6:36 PM by Dean Pope

Kaz..I would say the main differences are that 1. Watson is actually highly ranked. 2. Watson has competed at a high level on the AAU scene. And 3. Watson is succeededing at a high level in one of the most talented rich basketball cities in the country. I'd argue Webster never had that high of a ceiling to begin with...Watson on the other hand does. But yes, no prospect outside of the sure fire NBA taken is a for sure thing.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:

I'm not sure how our recruiting class could be considered a sleeper and if Watson plays at a high level I don't think anybody will be surprised. I don't expect us to win the B1G next year, but I expect us to be a much improved offensive team. The addition of White should help us immediately.
Yeah, I don't understand how a class with two Top 150 players could be considered a "sleeper" class.

Originally posted by Dean Pope:
Yep. Right now, the role of the point guard in Miles' offense is to hand the ball to Petteway and run to the deep corner. Hopefully Miles changes to a more conventional offense next year and has the players at least attempt a fast break now and then, otherwise I don't see much of a chance for a young point guard to shine.

lolololol

If you mean conventional offense do you mean a half azz offense? Dear lord, our offense now and for the last 3 years has been a shi$ show. of epic proportions. You can bring in Patrick Ewing Circa GTown in 85 and running TM's O we wouldnt do Squat with it.

TM has done a piss pot poor job of any type of offense thus far, the MOST passive offense I have EVER seen at the collegiate level since the Doc Sadler days. (And it is actually worse since TM has more talent than DOc had with similar resutls)

Wont matter how many top classes in NU history he brings in next year if he continues to run this S show O, we wont do squat.

God, run a half azzz attacking O and we would be much better than we are now. Hell TM's s show O this year has already cost us 5-8 games in the W column as it stands.

Originally posted by huskerhomie:

lolololol

If you mean conventional offense do you mean a half azz offense? Dear lord, our offense now and for the last 3 years has been a shi$ show. of epic proportions. You can bring in Patrick Ewing Circa GTown in 85 and running TM's O we wouldnt do Squat with it.

TM has done a piss pot poor job of any type of offense thus far, the MOST passive offense I have EVER seen at the collegiate level since the Doc Sadler days. (And it is actually worse since TM has more talent than DOc had with similar resutls)

Wont matter how many top classes in NU history he brings in next year if he continues to run this S show O, we wont do squat.

God, run a half azzz attacking O and we would be much better than we are now. Hell TM's s show O this year has already cost us 5-8 games in the W column as it stands.
I agree with you that the execution has been poor, but Miles has put the team in plenty of different offensive sets this year. I would guess his favorite is by far the weave, his teams ran that to beautifully at Colorado State. But in addition to weave I have seen Horns and Triangle just to name a couple. I think Miles hasn't necessarily been able to run very sophisticated sets because this team has the basketball IQ of a middle school girls team (5 out of the 12 eligible players are Doc recruits), he tries to play to his players' strengths, which involves a lot of isolation, two man, and high ball screens. Just give it some time, let him bring in some more of his own recruits and things should improve.

This "having his own recruits" crap has got to stop being an excuse. You think school teachers get to recruit students that adapt to their style so there's an easy A? Nope, in less than a year you've gotta teach them how to get a passing grade. I would say TM is not getting the job done. Most likely due to Pettaway's "stardom" and inability to live up to it. But, the coach should've handled that early in the season and be further along by now.

Originally posted by TheNewNU:

lolololol

I agree with you that the execution has been poor, but Miles has put the team in plen ty of different offensive sets this year. I would guess his favorite is by far the weave, his teams ran that to beautifully at Colorado State. But in addition to weave I have seen Horns and Triangle just to name a couple. I think Miles hasn't necessarily been able to run very sophisticated sets because this team has the basketball IQ of a middle school girls team (5 out of the 12 eligible players are Doc recruits), he tries to play to his players' strengths, which involves a lot of isolation, two man, and high ball screens. Just give it some time, let him bring in some more of his own recruits and things should improve.
I disagree that he plays to his players strengths. I mean why run sets that require your players to shoot 95% from the outside when your players are not outside shooters? Why run ISO on players like Pett and Shields when teams are making them go left this year thus making them less formidable? That is not playing to your players strengths. Guys like Shields and Pett would be great cutting in the lane getting passes and drawing fouls or taking shots in the paint. But we certainly dont run any of that. I cant believe you are going to try and chalk the failure this year to low basketball IQ> Cutting to the lane, drawing defenders over out of the paint is HS type of stuff and is not difficult at all for players to learn, these are things that they have done on their own on the playground...so I highly doubt Bball IQ is the problem.

What 5 players are doc recruits? The only onse that I see that gets any time on the floor is Rivers and Parker oh yeah and a guy by the name of Shields who if we didnt have him on our team the last two years, we would be in even deeper do do than we are now.

Remember Gallegos was a guy we lost whom a lot of people are complaining that he is a large reason why our O stinks this year, and he was a Doc recruit BTW. Pretty much the whole team save for 3 guys are all TM's recruits. I am kind of tired of hearing about TM's bringing in his own guys because you take away Shields and Gallegos (docs guys) our team would be in some serious trouble, and the rest of the guys are all TM's guys.

Yeah you can run a 3 man weave at CSU cause they play in what shi$$y Bball conference again? Oh yeah not the B10. You cant run that nonsense and not get into the paint in the B10 and have a consistent offense that stuff will not work. You need easy buckets and we dont run anything in our O sets that get us easy buckets or get us to the line with any regularity. Have you also seen how we attack a zone D? I almost fall out of my chair laughing at the way (incorrect) way that we try and attack a zone D. Dont you think it is pretty funny how all three years offensively we go on long scoring droughts in games? 5 minutes or more? This happened to us last year as well. Why do you think that is? No easy buckets, not attacking the hoop etc. Look at how our O struggles against good teams, look at the 16 point halftime lead we let go in the B10 champ game last year, then the Tourney game we just simply got blown out. Bad offensive style, bad offensive sets, poor spacing, poor passing, poor ball handling. Now that doesnt give me a whole heck of a lot of confidence to be honest.

TM has done a bad job coaching these guys up (IMHO) this year, and a few players have regressed and a few players have not developed and mostly the guys that are not getting it done are TM's recruits btw not docs guys. So lets not try and put our hopes in a 6 foot 7 small forward out of Illinois or some Aussie big man...and think that our problems are going to go away magically next year cause they wont.

By all means let's fire Tim Miles then because he hasn't cured all of Husker Hoops issues from the past century. Two recruiting classes should be enough to turn around one of the worst historical basketball programs in the country gosh darn it!

I don't really follow b-ball until March, but did you really just say, without any sense of irony, that this coach is the worst offensive coach we've had EVER since the coach that came directly before him?

Well, okay, yes he is the worst offensive coach since the last coach. He's also the best offensive coach since the last one. He's also the tallest coach we've EVER seen since the Doc Sadler days. And the shortest. And the blackest. And the smartest. And the...

You do realize Mr Basketball that Miles runs many of the same offensive sets that Self and every other coach in college basketball run don't you? You do realize that we're forced to run perimeter offense because WE DON'T HAVE A LOW POST PLAYER OR A GUY THAT IS GOOD IN THE POST other than sometimes Petteway if he get there without being doubled. Shields isn't as big as he's listed. Pitchford plays 5" shorter than he is. Rivers and Smith have NO game and they are undersized against nearly every player that guards them. SO Mr. Basketball, design an offense for me. Your posts are revoltingly stupid. Our strength should have been Petteway, Shields and Pitch hitting open threes and Shields and Petteway driving against perimeter pressure maybe kicking out to Pitch. Guess what, with Pitch not being able to throw it in the ocean and other teams not having to guard the other two guys on the floor, they can double BOTH Shields and Petteway. Just go away.

The 5 players that were Doc's recruits are Shavon Shields, David Rivers, Benny Parker, Kye Kurkowski, and Trevor Menke. Out of those 5, Shavon is probably the only one of them that would have ever gotten a scholarship offer to play for Miles. Kurkowski and Menke are walk-on players that Miles wouldn't have taken either. Miles had to take a lot of high risk/high reward chances on guys in his first couple of recruiting cycles because the cupboard was bare when he got here, last year those risks paid off in Petteway, Pitchford, and Leslie Smith(pre-injury), but similar risks in Tai Webster and Moses Abraham bit him in the ass. Give him a chance to get some traditional recruits in the program, and please don't say he should have gotten them his first couple of years, no good high school player every even thought about visiting Nebraska before Miles, Miles got Jalil Okafor, a future #1 NBA pick, to visit Nebraska! With time I think Miles can get future lottery picks to Lincoln one day. But Nebraska has been dog**** in basketball for as long as any of us can remember, with Miles they actually have a chance to become a contender.

You do realize Mr Basketball that Miles runs many of the same offensive sets that Self and every other coach in college basketball run don't you? You do realize that we're forced to run perimeter offense because WE DON'T HAVE A LOW POST PLAYER OR A GUY THAT IS GOOD IN THE POST other than sometimes Petteway if he get there without being doubled. Shields isn't as big as he's listed. Pitchford plays 5" shorter than he is. Rivers and Smith have NO game and they are undersized against nearly every player that guards them. SO Mr. Basketball, design an offense for me. Your posts are revoltingly stupid. Our strength should have been Petteway, Shields and Pitch hitting open threes and Shields and Petteway driving against perimeter pressure maybe kicking out to Pitch. Guess what, with Pitch not being able to throw it in the ocean and other teams not having to guard the other two guys on the floor, they can double BOTH Shields and Petteway. Just go away.
Ummm how many teams nationally actually have a good low post threat? Maybe 4 or 5 teams have a legit middle guy that can score that is close to 7 foot> How the F do you think those teams win and win a lot more games than us or dont go on 5 plus minute scoring droughts?

WE DO NOT NEED an awesome center not in todays college game. Smith or any number of our bigs just need to get the ball inside and start making a move towards the bucket, they will a lot of times get a double on them which does what? Oh yeah leaves their guy open for a pass in the lane, or room for a cutter to get a pass right next to the basket. We NEVER see this type of offense. Where are our backdoor cuts and screens towards the hoop? Dont see them do we. When attacking a zone D why are we content on taking 20 foot shots? Why is our middle guy not flashing to the FT line so we can pass him the ball?
Why are our players content with taking 20 foot shots when they can dribble in and thus MAKING their man guard them which also BTW creates space? Now just these couple of things that I said, that WE DO NOT DO on offense, do you maybe think that it could help us and get us some more FT's or more easy buckets or at least more opportunities for buckets?

Most of the time we see 4 guys standing around doing nothing while 1 player has the ball and Pett is not Kobie or Lebron James and neither is Shields for that matter. SO you tell me how just these simple things I have stated (that we dont do) wouldnt help improve our O and give our players more confidence. How much confidence do you give your players when you take away their ability to be aggressive and attack the basket? How much more confidence do you give them when they are getting easy baskets or getting fould? Yeah Ok.

Ummm how many teams nationally actually have a good low post threat? Maybe 4 or 5 teams have a legit middle guy that can score that is close to 7 foot> How the F do you think those teams win and win a lot more games than us or dont go on 5 plus minute scoring droughts?

WE DO NOT NEED an awesome center not in todays college game. Smith or any number of our bigs just need to get the ball inside and start making a move towards the bucket, they will a lot of times get a double on them which does what? Oh yeah leaves their guy open for a pass in the lane, or room for a cutter to get a pass right next to the basket. We NEVER see this type of offense. Where are our backdoor cuts and screens towards the hoop? Dont see them do we. When attacking a zone D why are we content on taking 20 foot shots? Why is our middle guy not flashing to the FT line so we can pass him the ball?
Why are our players content with taking 20 foot shots when they can dribble in and thus MAKING their man guard them which also BTW creates space? Now just these couple of things that I said, that WE DO NOT DO on offense, do you maybe think that it could help us and get us some more FT's or more easy buckets or at least more opportunities for buckets?

Most of the time we see 4 guys standing around doing nothing while 1 player has the ball and Pett is not Kobie or Lebron James and neither is Shields for that matter. SO you tell me how just these simple things I have stated (that we dont do) wouldnt help improve our O and give our players more confidence. How much confidence do you give your players when you take away their ability to be aggressive and attack the basket? How much more confidence do you give them when they are getting easy baskets or getting fould? Yeah Ok.
Made for you boiler! On to the next one....what coach out there can make the prestigious Nebrasketball into a winner after two recruiting classes? Coach K? Lets throw some money at him.
This post was edited on 2/26 2:57 PM by huskerbaseball13

LINK

What I don't understand is a comparison of us to Iowa schools. Iowa rips us a new one at home. Northern Iowa is in the top 15. And have you seen Iowa state play? I'm going to have them in the elite 8. Where is Iowa getting these guys and why can't we get them? Are they a more population rich state? Have they got better facilities? I just don't understand it. Kentucky or duke yes I can see that but why are we not able to keep up with Iowa schools?

Made for you boiler! On to the next one....what coach out there can make the prestigious Nebrasketball into a winner after two recruiting classes? Coach K? Lets throw some money at him.

This post was edited on 2/26 2:57 PM by huskerbaseball13
I'm a huge Miles supporter and to be fair but there are a lot of coaches not named Coach K that could have turned Nebraska into a winner after two recruiting cycles. Recruiting is the name of the game in College basketball.

GBR!!

No there really isnt...we don't sign the class we do this year without the NCAA tourney ticket. Our roster was simply a disaster when Miles took over.

Originally posted by NUSouth:
What I don't understand is a comparison of us to Iowa schools. Iowa rips us a new one at home. Northern Iowa is in the top 15. And have you seen Iowa state play? I'm going to have them in the elite 8. Where is Iowa getting these guys and why can't we get them? Are they a more population rich state? Have they got better facilities? I just don't understand it. Kentucky or duke yes I can see that but why are we not able to keep up with Iowa schools?
You realize that Northern Iowa and Iowa State build players and the bulk of their players are guys that have been there a few years. We have a couple of those kind of guys coming off the bench right now as freshmen that Miles recruited but ideally they would have redshirted. We did get some guys this recruiting cycle that should help immensely. Unfortunately the world of instant gratification thinks they should be playing by now. Think of this. WHAT IF Doc hadn't been canned? Would Petteway have transferred in? Where in the hell would we be right now without Miles recruiting him to NU? There's no way in hell with Doc as the head coach that we would have won more than 2 games per year in the B1G these past two years. No way. We've got a great recruiting class coming in along with a transfer that can score and all some people can do is bitch about how disappointing this team is after last year's team overachieved.
sick0020.r191677.gif
They complain about the offense we're running which is the same damned offense that got us in to the dance last year. Help IS on the way and the idiots whining about Miles just need to shut their ignorant pie holes.

No there really isnt...we don't sign the class we do this year without the NCAA tourney ticket. Our roster was simply a disaster when Miles took over.

Do a bit of research. All you need is a good freshmen class to make you a winner in NCAA basketball. There are countless examples of coaches turning around programs in 1-2 years with stellar recruiting classes.

GBR!

I'd like for anyone to share what coach has done what Miles had, at a program similar to Nebraska, in his first 3 seasons. Matter of fact, I'll make it easy and just request it from the bottom half of teams in any major conference.

Check back later...

With Nebraska pedigree as a program? I'd be shocked but I'd like to see what you come up with. No need for me to do the research since you are the one claiming this.

Originally posted by CharlieHustle:

Do a bit of research. All you need is a good freshmen class to make you a winner in NCAA basketball. There are countless examples of coaches turning around programs in 1-2 years with stellar recruiting classes.

GBR!
Not trying to be a dick here but who are they then? What years?

Originally posted by NUSouth:
Pretty simple really. Iowa high school hoops is better than Nebraska. Period. It hurts to say but it is true. Better coaching, better traditional programs.

Nebraska: 3 Nebraska players on their roster. None play significant minutes.

Northern Iowa: 11 Iowa players on their roster from Iowa, 11.

Iowa: 7 Iowa players on their roster (8 if you count Gesell, because S. Sioux City is practically Iowa, and Sioux City is a good basketball town).

Iowa State, they are an anomaly.

Take into consideration Creighton, who has been bitch slapping Nebraska. Where have their best players been from in recent years? Korver, McDermott, Gibbs, all from Iowa. Artino, not a star, but a solid role player from Iowa.

When you are not Kansas, and can not even get decent role players out of your state on a consistent basis, and lose your occasional good D1 recruit to other schools (Agau, Ellison, Gesell, etc), it makes it tough to compete. Also, all three of those schools have put more emphasis on basketball over the decades.

Youth basketball in Omaha is light years better than it was even 20 years ago, so hopefully in the near future Nebraska can start getting a decent player out of Omaha every year or every other year?

Originally posted by SeaOfRed75:

Originally posted by CharlieHustle:

GBR!
Not trying to be a dick here but who are they then? What years?
Jim Beilein-- Michigan 2008--Did it after Tommy Amaker put them on probation..
Bob Huggins-Cincinatti--First year
Mike Davis--Indiana--First year
Bill Self--Illinois--2001
Kelvin Sampson--Oklahoma--1995
Rick Barnes--Texas--1998
Ernie Kent--Oregon 1998-1999
Sean Miller--Xavier--2005-2006
Sean Miller--Arizona--2010-2011
Mark Few--Gonzaga--1999-2000
Bruce Pearl--Tennessee--2005-2006
Shaka Smart--VCU--2010-2011
Brad Stevens--Butler --2007-2008
Eddie Sutton--Oklahoma State--1990-1991
Billy Gillespie--Texas El Paso
Billy Gillespie--Texas A & M

I could go on all day. When do you want me to stop???

This post was edited on 2/26 11:36 PM by CharlieHustle

This post was edited on 2/26 11:54 PM by CharlieHustle

Jim Beilein

First one on your list and he made the tournament one time in his first three years at Michigan. Just so happens to be his second year, interesting...

Huggins, mid major, next.

Davis, winner, three years in.

Self, the winner.

Sampson ouch.

Charlie, from what you originally claimed, you're reaching. Big time. 9, 10 or 11 of the guys you mentioned are 8+ years ago. For something so easy, your list is extremely weak. Not a long list, you'd be better of admitting you popped off and move on.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
Jim Beilein

First one on your list and he made the tournament one time in his first three years at Michigan. Just so happens to be his second year, interesting...

Huggins, mid major, next.

Davis, winner, three years in.

Self, the winner.

Sampson ouch.

Charlie, from what you originally claimed, you're reaching. Big time. 9, 10 or 11 of the guys you mentioned are 8+ years ago. For something so easy, your list is extremely weak. Not a long list, you'd be better of admitting you popped off and move on.

This is what I originally stated:

GBR!
Whoa??? Are you serious?? The question was what coaches have turned teams around in 2 year or less in NCAA basketball. I did a quick search and the majority of these coaches took these teams to the NCAA tourney or rebuilt the programs. It doesn't matter when they do it.

There are quite a few more but just provided a small list. Definitely not a reach and just reinforces my point.

It was Mike Davis's second year that he took them to the NCAA Title game.

Sampson was NCAA coach of the year his first year at Oklahoma.

This post was edited on 2/27 12:14 AM by CharlieHustle

Huskerbaseball13 wanted to know "Who could turn Nebraska basketball into a winner within 2 recruiting cycles besides Coach K.

I stated that there are several coaches who have rebuilt teams or took their teams to the NCAA's within their first couple of years. There are quite a few examples and hence my list.

It's easier to rebuild in basketball with good recruiting.

GBR!

You skipped my question, and that wasn't a mistake but, yes I'm serious...

As I said, you're reaching, needing to go back 8+ years for a high majority (8) on your list. Take it a step further, some on your list didn't have stellar classes, which was also a pop off comment. Stephens, Huggins, lmao, give Neil Armstrong a high five for everyone.

You also have examples with schools that had success within 3-4 years of the new coach taking over. Some were recognized programs. But, it can happen at Nebraska in the same time frame, all it takes is stellar recruiting classes. Just ask Huggins when the mullet was popular, great example. Okie dokie!

Now, are you able to answer my original question or is that too tough for you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT