ADVERTISEMENT

Help Is On The Way

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
You skipped my question, and that wasn't a mistake but, yes I'm serious...

As I said, you're reaching, needing to go back 8+ years for a high majority (8) on your list. Take it a step further, some on your list didn't have stellar classes, which was also a pop off comment. Stephens, Huggins, lmao, give Neil Armstrong a high five for everyone.

You also have examples with schools that had success within 3-4 years of the new coach taking over. Some were recognized programs. But, it can happen at Nebraska in the same time frame, all it takes is stellar recruiting classes. Just ask Huggins when the mullet was popular, great example. Okie dokie!

Now, are you able to answer my original question or is that too tough for you?

Posted from Rivals Mobile
First off, my response wasn't directed towards your original question but Huskerbaseball13 who said it couldn't be done without Coach K. Try to learn on how to follow a thread.

What was your original question?? Scrolling back through the thread, was it about a team in the bottom half of a power conference??? I haven't done the research or I don't even know but I'm sure I could find a few coaches.

Huskerbaseball13 is the one making asinine claims which have been properly refuted by my response.

GBR!!

Jim Beilein

First one on your list and he made the tournament one time in his first three years at Michigan. Just so happens to be his second year, interesting...

Huggins, mid major, next.

Davis, winner, three years in.

Self, the winner.

Sampson ouch.

Charlie, from what you originally claimed, you're reaching. Big time. 9, 10 or 11 of the guys you mentioned are 8+ years ago. For something so easy, your list is extremely weak. Not a long list, you'd be better of admitting you popped off and move on.
Ahh HTO you do what you always do. You present an argument (which was a weak one BTW) then when you get proven wrong, you then CHANGE the parameters of the argument. Fine job.

First of all if your question is kind of a dumb one, as the only team realistically comparable to NU would be Northwestern aka as in a team that has NEVER won an NCAA tourney game. As NW and NU are the only two major conference schools that have not won an NCAA tourney game.

Next Beilen at Michigan WON an NCAA Tourney game, at a major conference in his 2nd year, so you cant tear down Beilen as he did BETTER than TM has done as some of those other guys on the list that was provided to you.

YOU are the one that got owned on this then you conveniently change the parameters of your argument because you wouldnt admit that you were wrong. Several P5 conference teams were listed on the list that the poster gave you which refuted your claim yet you still would not admit you were the one that "popped off". So you then throw out an additional parameter in your argument since your original take was proven wrong then throw out "Oh well these guys did these things a long time ago" blah blah nonsense.

Now lets also conveniently add to the fact that at this time NU also has top 2 facilities in the entire nation and really none of those teams listed either had that type of luxury that was on that list. SO again it is a silly comparison.

Question what EXACTLY has TM done at NU besides not win an NCAA tourney game and finish below ,500 in 2 of his first 3 years? Should we throw a parade for that?

We can add John Groce at Illinois (in our own conference that is now what 3 teams from our own conference that is on this list now?) Hmmmm. He took over a team that was barely over .500 and he WON an NCAA tourney game in his 1st year as coach and will be over .500 for all of his first 3 years, and that is also during the same exact years as TM has been at NU. SO also fist your parameters and is in the same conference and is very recent.

Also Billy Donovan comes to mind he took over a 12-17 team and by his 3rd year was 22-9 and got to the sweet 16, but of course you will try and throw something out there to make that comparison not relevant though right? lolo

Steve Lavin took over a 16-18 St Johns team and in his first year won an NCAA tourney game. Does this fit the parameters as well? Probably not. With a little more time I am sure we can find MANY more examples of coaches that have done more but this took me about 5 minutes just to come up with 3 examples that were not even on the list that was already provided which again proved you wrong. But hey, I am looking forward to seeing what other changes you make in your argument to try and prove yourself correct.

Another name to throw on the list is Bo Ryan at Wisky (yet another team from our own conference btw) Wisky was a very similar program to NU and had just barely won their first tourney game a few years before Ryan took over which was the first Tourney win in their history. When Ryan took over he had won another tourney game his 1st year, then got to the sweet 16 by his 2nd year, and won a tourney game his 3rd year. That is what I would call turning things around. He more than tripled the amount of wins that Wisky had as a school in the NCAA tourney by yis 3rd year. Now for TM to have done that, he would have had to win 3 NCAA tourney games by this year... Well not gonna happen. Plus B Ryan was consistently winning 20 plus games a year which Wisky was no where close to doing before he arrived. Considering Wisky in their entire history before Ryan arrived only had won 20 games or more in a season 3 times before he arrived and now in his 14th year he by himself has won 20 games or more 12 out of 14 years.

Should we continue to list coaches and make your point look dumber and dumber or do you actually want to concede yet?
This post was edited on 2/27 7:26 AM by huskerhomie

Originally posted by CharlieHustle:

As I said, you're reaching, needing to go back 8+ years for a high majority (8) on your list. Take it a step further, some on your list didn't have stellar classes, which was also a pop off comment. Stephens, Huggins, lmao, give Neil Armstrong a high five for everyone.

You also have examples with schools that had success within 3-4 years of the new coach taking over. Some were recognized programs. But, it can happen at Nebraska in the same time frame, all it takes is stellar recruiting classes. Just ask Huggins when the mullet was popular, great example. Okie dokie!

First off, my response wasn't directed towards your original question but Huskerbaseball13 who said it couldn't be done without Coach K. Try to learn on how to follow a thread.

What was your original question?? Scrolling back through the thread, was it about a team in the bottom half of a power conference??? I haven't done the research or I don't even know but I'm sure I could find a few coaches.

Huskerbaseball13 is the one making asinine claims which have been properly refuted by my response.

GBR!!
Uhhhhhh, no I didn't. Nowhere did I say "it cant be done." I simply asked a question...in which you provided a list of coaches who 1. Would never want to come to NU or 2. We wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. So thank you for proving my point...outside of Ernie Kent and Davis(who both were fired..some multiple times in previous stops) maybe on your list none of those coaches would have been a realistic hire for NU.

You named a bunch of coaches that had the luxury of coaching at PRESTIGOUS schools. Funny, how you skipped over that part...I don't see any Nebraska's on that list.

Jim Beilein-- Michigan 2008--Did it after Tommy Amaker put them on probation..

Amaker didn't put them on probation; He won 22 games in each of his last two games at Mich. But hey, its not like Mich has basketball history...right?

Bob Huggins-Cincinatti--First year
Mike Davis--Indiana--First year

This has to be a joke that you even have Indiana on the list...comparing them to Nebraska. But, Davis took over for Sampson who was 22-4 when he left Indiana. Indiana made the big dance that year.....poor Davis.

Bill Self--Illinois--2001

Again, you are joking right? Self took over for Kruger...you heard of him right? Oh and Kruger took Illini to the sweet 16 before leaving Illinois. Poor Self, such a tough rebuilding job!

Kelvin Sampson--Oklahoma--1995

Again, apples to oranges...Oklahoma had major success under Tubbs. And how much you want to bet Sampson was playing dirty on the recruiting trail??

Rick Barnes--Texas--1998

Barnes takes over for Tom Penders...who was two years removed from a sweet 16 birth and in the following three years the NCAA big dance. Poor Barnes...such a tough rebuilding job! Imagine if he had to go to a school that never won a NCAA tourney game!

Ernie Kent--Oregon 1998-1999
Sean Miller--Xavier--2005-2006

Sean Miller takes over for Thad Matta...have you ever heard of Thad? Yeah..me either. Thad Took Xavier to three consecutive NCAA tournaments and in his final year to the ELITE 8 before Miller took over. Wow! Tough rebuilding job. How did Miller do it?

Sean Miller--Arizona--2010-2011

Again...not sure if serious...Arizona compared to NU in basketball?? But hey...again tough rebuilding job Sean! Taking over a program that was coming off a sweet 16 appearance. Poor Sean!

Bruce Pearl--Tennessee--2005-2006

See Kelvin Sampson

Mark Few--Gonzaga--1999-2000

Few takes over for Dan Monson...who before leaving the Zags for Minnesota took Gonzaga to the ELITE 8. Wow, poor Mark! Taking over a team that made it to the Elite 8 the previous year? How did he do it?

Shaka Smart--VCU--2010-2011

Shaka Smart...takes over for Anthony Grant when Alabama hired him away. Oh and Grant took VCU to 2 NCAA tournaments in 3 years....Shaka takes over a team that made the NCAA the previous year. Tough rebuilding job!

Brad Stevens--Butler --2007-2008

Stevens takes over for Brad Lickliter with Butler coming off a sweet 16 appearance. Poor Brad!

Eddie Sutton--Oklahoma State--1990-1991

You got me, we should have hired Eddie in his old age. You think he should come back?

Billy Gillespie--Texas El Paso

We went the Texas El Paso route with Doc....but, Gillespie was on the market! We should have hired him. Im guessing you didn't read the most recent article by him??

Billy Gillespie--Texas A & M

Wow, nice list of coaches! It's as if you didn't even do any research before posting! Kinda like how you watch SO SO much MWC basketball that you forgot Miles left Eustachy with a NCAA tournament team...right??

This post was edited on 2/27 7:30 AM by huskerbaseball13

This post was edited on 2/27 9:10 AM by huskerbaseball13

Originally posted by huskerhomie:

Jim Beilein

First one on your list and he made the tournament one time in his first three years at Michigan. Just so happens to be his second year, interesting...

Self, the winner.

Sampson ouch.

Charlie, from what you originally claimed, you're reaching. Big time. 9, 10 or 11 of the guys you mentioned are 8+ years ago. For something so easy, your list is extremely weak. Not a long list, you'd be better of admitting you popped off and move on.

Ahh HTO you do what you always do. You present an argument (which was a weak one BTW) then when you get proven wrong, you then CHANGE the parameters of the argument. Fine job.

First of all if your question is kind of a dumb one, as the only team realistically comparable to NU would be Northwestern aka as in a team that has NEVER won an NCAA tourney game. As NW and NU are the only two major conference schools that have not won an NCAA tourney game.

Next Beilen at Michigan WON an NCAA Tourney game, at a major conference in his 2nd year, so you cant tear down Beilen as he did BETTER than TM has done as some of those other guys on the list that was provided to you.

YOU are the one that got owned on this then you conveniently change the parameters of your argument because you wouldnt admit that you were wrong. Several P5 conference teams were listed on the list that the poster gave you which refuted your claim yet you still would not admit you were the one that "popped off". So you then throw out an additional parameter in your argument since your original take was proven wrong then throw out "Oh well these guys did these things a long time ago" blah blah nonsense.

Now lets also conveniently add to the fact that at this time NU also has top 2 facilities in the entire nation and really none of those teams listed either had that type of luxury that was on that list. SO again it is a silly comparison.

Question what EXACTLY has TM done at NU besides not win an NCAA tourney game and finish below ,500 in 2 of his first 3 years? Should we throw a parade for that?

We can add John Groce at Illinois (in our own conference that is now what 3 teams from our own conference that is on this list now?) Hmmmm. He took over a team that was barely over .500 and he WON an NCAA tourney game in his 1st year as coach and will be over .500 for all of his first 3 years, and that is also during the same exact years as TM has been at NU. SO also fist your parameters and is in the same conference and is very recent.

Also Billy Donovan comes to mind he took over a 12-17 team and by his 3rd year was 22-9 and got to the sweet 16, but of course you will try and throw something out there to make that comparison not relevant though right? lolo

Steve Lavin took over a 16-18 St Johns team and in his first year won an NCAA tourney game. Does this fit the parameters as well? Probably not. With a little more time I am sure we can find MANY more examples of coaches that have done more but this took me about 5 minutes just to come up with 3 examples that were not even on the list that was already provided which again proved you wrong. But hey, I am looking forward to seeing what other changes you make in your argument to try and prove yourself correct.

Another name to throw on the list is Bo Ryan at Wisky (yet another team from our own conference btw) Wisky was a very similar program to NU and had just barely won their first tourney game a few years before Ryan took over which was the first Tourney win in their history. When Ryan took over he had won another tourney game his 1st year, then got to the sweet 16 by his 2nd year, and won a tourney game his 3rd year. That is what I would call turning things around. He more than tripled the amount of wins that Wisky had as a school in the NCAA tourney by yis 3rd year. Now for TM to have done that, he would have had to win 3 NCAA tourney games by this year... Well not gonna happen. Plus B Ryan was consistently winning 20 plus games a year which Wisky was no where close to doing before he arrived. Considering Wisky in their entire history before Ryan arrived only had won 20 games or more in a season 3 times before he arrived and now in his 14th year he by himself has won 20 games or more 12 out of 14 years.

Should we continue to list coaches and make your point look dumber and dumber or do you actually want to concede yet?

John Groce

Illini one year removed from making the Big Dance...again, how does the Illinois job compare to Nebraska?

Billy Donovan

Took over for Lon Kruger who in 2 of his last 3 years at UF made the big dance...one in which included a FINAL FOUR.

Bo Ryan

Wisconsin made the final four in 2000....Ryan took over on year after. Would have been nice if Sadler would have taken us to the final four before Miles arrived right???

Steve Lavin

Took the Red Storm to the big dance his first year...hasn't done squat since then. Im quite certain if Lavin was hired at NU and put the same resume out there you wouldn't be happy. He's on the hot seat.

Look, im not saying it can't be done at NU...hell Miles took us to the big dance in year 2. But there just isn't a whole heck of a lot of realistic coaches out there that could make NU into a winner after two recruiting classes. There just isn't. And the list that has been provided so far is laughable as many of the programs are apples to oranges and MANY were coming off major success with the previous coach.
This post was edited on 2/27 7:44 AM by huskerbaseball13

Originally posted by huskerbaseball13:

GBR!!
Uhhhhhh, no I didn't. Sorry, you are having reading apprehension problems. Nowhere did I say "it cant be done." I simply asked a question...in which you provided a list of coaches who 1. Would never want to come to NU or 2. We wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. So thank you for proving my point...outside of Ernie Kent and Davis(who both were fired..some multiple times in previous stops) maybe on your list none of those coaches would have been a realistic hire for NU.

You named a bunch of coaches that had the luxury of coaching at PRESTIGOUS schools. Funny, how you skipped over that part...I don't see any Nebraska's on that list.

Amaker didn't put them on probation; He won 22 games in each of his last two games at Mich. But hey, its not like Mich has basketball history...right?

This has to be a joke that you even have Indiana on the list...comparing them to Nebraska. But, Davis took over for Sampson who was 22-4 when he left Indiana. Indiana made the big dance that year.....poor Davis.

Again, you are joking right? Self took over for Kruger...you heard of him right? Oh and Kruger took Illini to the sweet 16 before leaving Illinois. Poor Self, such a tough rebuilding job!

Again, apples to oranges...Oklahoma had major success under Tubbs. And how much you want to bet Sampson was playing dirty on the recruiting trail??

Rick Barnes--Texas--1998

Barnes takes over for Tom Penders...who was two years removed from a sweet 16 birth and in the following three years the NCAA big dance. Poor Barnes...such a tough rebuilding job! Imagine if he had to go to a school that never won a NCAA tourney game!

Sean Miller takes over for Thad Matta...have you ever heard of Thad? Yeah..me either. Thad Took Xavier to three consecutive NCAA tournaments and in his final year to the ELITE 8 before Miller took over. Wow! Tough rebuilding job. How did Miller do it?

Again...not sure if serious...Arizona compared to NU in basketball?? But hey...again tough rebuilding job Sean! Taking over a program that was coming off a sweet 16 appearance. Poor Sean!

See Kelvin Sampson

Few takes over for Dan Monson...who before leaving the Zags for Minnesota took Gonzaga to the ELITE 8. Wow, poor Mark! Taking over a team that made it to the Elite 8 the previous year? How did he do it?

Shaka Smart...takes over for Anthony Grant when Alabama hired him away. Oh and Grant took VCU to 2 NCAA tournaments in 3 years....Shaka takes over a team that made the NCAA the previous year. Tough rebuilding job!

Stevens takes over for Brad Lickliter with Butler coming off a sweet 16 appearance. Poor Brad!

You got me, we should have hired Eddie in his old age. You think he should come back?

We went the Texas El Paso route with Doc....but, Gillespie was on the market! We should have hired him. Im guessing you didn't read the most recent article by him??

Wow, nice list of coaches! It's as if you didn't even do any research before posting! Kinda like how you watch SO SO much MWC basketball that you forgot Miles left Eustachy with a NCAA tournament team...right??
Good research but first of all the premise of HTO's argument is off base, which teams really can be compared to NU in hoops? NW is the ONLY other P5 conference team to have NEVER won an NCAA tourney game. Just about any coach you put on a list for any team that turned things around is not going to be comparable to NU so it is a nonsensical type of question. So then you have to take the question by itself. Which coaches have turned programs around in 3 years. I have to say if people on here are saying that TM has "turned NU around" they have no clue what that means. TM has turned NOTHING around up to this point BTW> He has finished below .500 2 of 3 years and has not won an NCAA tourney game.

Also on your list Amaker had not even taken Michigan to an NCAA tourney game during his entire tenure. He made the NIT,but the fact that Beilen came in and took them to the NCAA tourney and won tourney games is called a turnaround.

Sampson took over for Tubbs at OU and Tubbs last year he was 15-13 without even making the NIT and not ranked then Sampson went on to a 22-9 record his very first year, and to the NCAA tourney and a final ranking of 16. Yes that is a turnaround.

Originally posted by newAD:
Originally posted by NUSouth:
What I don't understand is a comparison of us to Iowa schools. Iowa rips us a new one at home. Northern Iowa is in the top 15. And have you seen Iowa state play? I'm going to have them in the elite 8. Where is Iowa getting these guys and why can't we get them? Are they a more population rich state? Have they got better facilities? I just don't understand it. Kentucky or duke yes I can see that but why are we not able to keep up with Iowa schools?
Pretty simple really. Iowa high school hoops is better than Nebraska. Period. It hurts to say but it is true. Better coaching, better traditional programs.

Nebraska: 3 Nebraska players on their roster. None play significant minutes.

Northern Iowa: 11 Iowa players on their roster from Iowa, 11.

Iowa: 7 Iowa players on their roster (8 if you count Gesell, because S. Sioux City is practically Iowa, and Sioux City is a good basketball town).

Iowa State, they are an anomaly.

Take into consideration Creighton, who has been bitch slapping Nebraska. Where have their best players been from in recent years? Korver, McDermott, Gibbs, all from Iowa. Artino, not a star, but a solid role player from Iowa.

When you are not Kansas, and can not even get decent role players out of your state on a consistent basis, and lose your occasional good D1 recruit to other schools (Agau, Ellison, Gesell, etc), it makes it tough to compete. Also, all three of those schools have put more emphasis on basketball over the decades.

Youth basketball in Omaha is light years better than it was even 20 years ago, so hopefully in the near future Nebraska can start getting a decent player out of Omaha every year or every other year?
I'll add a few more:

Harrison Barnes - UNC
Marcus Paige - UNC
Raef LaFrentz - Kansas
Kirk Hinrich - Kansas
Nick Collison - Kansas
Nate Funk - Creighton

Iowa does a good job of locking kids in a gym during the winter, has a pretty decent AAU circuit, and takes pride in being successful in both basketball & wrestling. Always thought if there was only one state university, football would be much similar in comparison.

This post was edited on 2/27 7:42 AM by kwik44

Jim Beilein

Self, the winner.

Sampson ouch.

John Groce

Illini one year removed from making the Big Dance...again, how does the Illinois job compare to Nebraska?

Billy Donovan

Took over for Lon Kruger who in 2 of his last 3 years at UF made the big dance...one in which included a FINAL FOUR.

Bo Ryan

Wisconsin made the final four in 2000....Ryan took over on year after. Would have been nice if Sadler would have taken us to the final four before Miles arrived right???

Steve Lavin

Took the Red Storm to the big dance his first year...hasn't done squat since then. Im quite certain if Lavin was hired at NU and put the same resume out there you wouldn't be happy. He's on the hot seat.

Does not matter what coaches did a few years before. We are talking about turning around. Had doc won 20 games two years to being canned, WTF does that matter? Doesnt for this arguments sake.

These coaches took over for coaches and did better than the coach they replaced final year.

We are NOT comparing schools yet again as only Northwestern is a school that realistically can be compared to Nebrasaka that is WHy HTO's original question is faulty at best. So we have to just compare schools and coaches that have turned things around. SO what if Wisky went to a final 4 before, the coaches last year was not so hot as in he lost in the first round of the tournye and Bo Ryan has turned that program around and made it a main stay.

GBR!!
Uhhhhhh, no I didn't. Sorry, you are having reading apprehension problems. Nowhere did I say "it cant be done." I simply asked a question...in which you provided a list of coaches who 1. Would never want to come to NU or 2. We wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. So thank you for proving my point...outside of Ernie Kent and Davis(who both were fired..some multiple times in previous stops) maybe on your list none of those coaches would have been a realistic hire for NU.

Rick Barnes--Texas--1998

See Kelvin Sampson

Good research but first of all the premise of HTO's argument is off base, which teams really can be compared to NU in hoops? NW is the ONLY other P5 conference team to have NEVER won an NCAA tourney game. Just about any coach you put on a list for any team that turned things around is not going to be comparable to NU so it is a nonsensical type of question. So then you have to take the question by itself. Which coaches have turned programs around in 3 years. I have to say if people on here are saying that TM has "turned NU around" they have no clue what that means. TM has turned NOTHING around up to this point BTW> He has finished below .500 2 of 3 years and has not won an NCAA tourney game.

Also on your list Amaker had not even taken Michigan to an NCAA tourney game during his entire tenure. He made the NIT,but the fact that Beilen came in and took them to the NCAA tourney and won tourney games is called a turnaround.

Sampson took over for Tubbs at OU and Tubbs last year he was 15-13 without even making the NIT and not ranked then Sampson went on to a 22-9 record his very first year, and to the NCAA tourney and a final ranking of 16. Yes that is a turnaround.
I don't disagree with those two turning around their respective programs in a quick way...although, I'm sure Sampson did it in a dirty way. But, its far easier to turn around a program when you can show recruits the past success. You can't do that at NU. And Tubbs had some very good years at OU. Amaker was a disappointment which is why he got fired but he did win 22 games before being fired.

Charlie got pissed, in a hurry. Next time, don't pop off and talk out of your ass. I followed this thread just fine, sorry for leaving a hand print on the side of your face. It'll eventually go away, you should know that from history.

Boiler writing a book, TL;DR.

Charlie got pissed, in a hurry. Next time, don't pop off and talk out of your ass. I followed this thread just fine, sorry for leaving a hand print on the side of your face. It'll eventually go away, you should know that from history.

Yet again you are popping off and you dont admit that you were wrong, (which you were) and it was on the base of a pretty bad original argument.

So, there is that, still true to form HTO.

Jim Beilein

Self, the winner.

Sampson ouch.

John Groce

Billy Donovan

Bo Ryan

Steve Lavin

Does not matter what coaches did a few years before. We are talking about turning around. Had doc won 20 games two years to being canned, WTF does that matter? Doesnt for this arguments sake.

These coaches took over for coaches and did better than the coach they replaced final year.

We are NOT comparing schools yet again as only Northwestern is a school that realistically can be compared to Nebrasaka that is WHy HTO's original question is faulty at best. So we have to just compare schools and coaches that have turned things around. SO what if Wisky went to a final 4 before, the coaches last year was not so hot as in he lost in the first round of the tournye and Bo Ryan has turned that program around and made it a main stay.
Well then, we are in agreement? Because clearly Miles has done a better job than Doc had. If you are going to talk about "turnarounds" then yes, the past coaches success or lack of success does come into play. And for MANY on the list thus far they took over a program that was already in good standing. Not a basketball roster that consisted of Brandon Ubel and Talley and your best players.

GBR!!
Thanks for the laugh! I'm half surprised you didn't throw in Calipari at UK. That would have fit right in with the other "rebuilding" jobs.
laugh.r191677.gif

Unfortunately with the lack of research you did you probably missed the easiest one in Hoiberg. While Iowa St has always been a better basketball program than NU he has done an awesome job at ISU after McDermott left him with crap. Like Doc left Miles.

This post was edited on 2/27 8:09 AM by huskerbaseball13

GBR!!

Rick Barnes--Texas--1998

See Kelvin Sampson

I don't disagree with those two turning around their respective programs in a quick way...although, I'm sure Sampson did it in a dirty way. But, its far easier to turn around a program when you can show recruits the past success. You can't do that at NU. And Tubbs had some very good years at OU. Amaker was a disappointment which is why he got fired but he did win 22 games before being fired.
I agree with you that showing recruits some past success is a good thing to have but right now at NU we can attract them with having top 5 (at least) best facilities in the country. Those other programs that were on this list may have had some better previous seasons (which again is why we cant really compare schools since NW is the only other P5 school that has never won a tourney game besides NU).

I look at a turnaround as what the previous coach did their last year, because usually their last year (unless they got a better job, or some other circum stances happened probation etc) their last season was probably the reason that they needed to be canned. So when that program got rid of them, did the next guy improve upon that.. In most of the examples and ones that I listed that was the case. So just on the outside of it, the question really becomes "How many coaches have been able to turn programs around in 3 years time" that list by itself is not a short list by any means. Now I am not quite sure why we are even using three years as a parameter here, as in my opinion TM has not in fact turned NU around as of yet. Now had he gone .500 in his first two seasons then gotten us to the tourney this year, I would say that he has maybe turned us around. But going from an NCAA tourney team to under .500 especially with all the guys we had coming back? Meh TM has not turned us around, and then if we do have a turnaround year next year, that will be TM's 4th year. So then we are talking about a whole other list including some of the guys on this current list. cause now we are adding a year to the equation.

BTW Lavin right now I dont think is on the hot seat, he was I think at the beginning of the year, but St Johns is over .500 in conference and they are probably going to make the tournament this year. Now there may be more hotseat talk next year for him, but I think that just depends on what they do in the tourney.

Jim Beilein

Self, the winner.

Sampson ouch.

John Groce

Billy Donovan

Bo Ryan

Steve Lavin

Well then, we are in agreement? Because clearly Miles has done a better job than Doc had. If you are going to talk about "turnarounds" then yes, the past coaches success or lack of success does come into play. And for MANY on the list thus far they took over a program that was already in good standing. Not a basketball roster that consisted of Brandon Ubel and Talley and your best players.
DO I agree that TM has done better than Doc? Yes I would give the nod to TM.Do I think TM has turned NU around? Absolutely NOT> At this point in time we have to have a "wait and see" approach to see if TM has turned NU around. People stating that he has are way way premature on that assumption. In fact, I consider going from an NCAA tourney team and bringing back 90% of your scoring from the year previous then going below .500 to be a bad coaching job by TM and crew this year. I mean there is simply no other way to put it. Now had TM lost a lot of guys and then it was a rebuild year this year replacing guys, that would be acceptable, but that was not the situation. I mean hell, our team went to hell in a hand basket cause we lost....wait for it...a Doc Sadler recruit in Gallegos? Wow really? Jury is still out on TM as far as if he has turned NU around no other way to slice it. And it may be more clear next year, or two years from now, but at this point no one can sit there with a straight face and say that TM has turned around NU because it is just not true yet. Proof is not in the pudding so to speak.

Jim Beilein

Self, the winner.

Sampson ouch.

John Groce

Billy Donovan

Bo Ryan

Steve Lavin

DO I agree that TM has done better than Doc? Yes I would give the nod to TM.Do I think TM has turned NU around? Absolutely NOT> At this point in time we have to have a "wait and see" approach to see if TM has turned NU around. People stating that he has are way way premature on that assumption. In fact, I consider going from an NCAA tourney team and bringing back 90% of your scoring from the year previous then going below .500 to be a bad coaching job by TM and crew this year. I mean there is simply no other way to put it. Now had TM lost a lot of guys and then it was a rebuild year this year replacing guys, that would be acceptable, but that was not the situation. I mean hell, our team went to hell in a hand basket cause we lost....wait for it...a Doc Sadler recruit in Gallegos? Wow really? Jury is still out on TM as far as if he has turned NU around no other way to slice it. And it may be more clear next year, or two years from now, but at this point no one can sit there with a straight face and say that TM has turned around NU because it is just not true yet. Proof is not in the pudding so to speak.
I would agree with that...this year has been a major disappointment. And next year will be a big year for Miles tenure here IMO. With that said, I still don't think there are very many coaches out there that would have delivered NU an NCAA invitation in two years. Atleast, not realistic coaching candidates.

Jim Beilein

Self, the winner.

Sampson ouch.

John Groce

Billy Donovan

Bo Ryan

Steve Lavin

I would agree with that...this year has been a major disappointment. And next year will be a big year for Miles tenure here IMO. With that said, I still don't think there are very many coaches out there that would have delivered NU an NCAA invitation in two years. Atleast, not realistic coaching candidates.
Next year will be a big year, but there will be plenty of people that will come to TM's defense if things go south and they will state (just like they did with BO) that "TM needs more time with "his" guys". Ok alright, but BBall is truly a game where Frosh can change your fortunes rather quickly if you have recruited right and you have developed them at least a little bit.

Where my concerns lie is from the developmental standpoint and some x's and o's offensively. I am not at this point sold on TM being the end all. I think that given what we did last year, and given 90% of scoring coming back putting several coaches in the exact same position in a 3rd year, I think the argument can be made that there are (IMHO) a lot of coaches that could have done a better job in year 3 than TM did with what happened in year 2. I am talking about on the court. I think he did a fantastic job recruiting, but we shall see how that translates next year.

You could argue that Doc did better overall in his first 3 seasons than Miles has. Miles will have 2 losing seasons in his first 3 while Doc had none. Doc was an A&M buzzer-beater away from the Big Dance in Year 3.

I'll give Miles the benefit of the doubt since he does have a much better track record of building programs than Doc did, and he did not inherit a player like Aleks Maric. But I don't think Miles should be immune to criticism. The lack of effort at times this year has been the biggest disappointment. It was not good to hear the announcer on ESPN say he has never seen a more lackadaisical team in his life. At least Doc's teams rarely got out-hustled.

Id like to see the argument that Doc did a better job in his first three years. And no, he wasn't an Aggie buzzer beater away from making the big dance.

Id like to see the argument that Doc did a better job in his first three years. And no, he wasn't an Aggie buzzer beater away from making the big dance.
It's impossible to argue with crazy people but thanks for trying. They're unresponsive to logic and facts.

https://twitter.com/swmckewonOWH/status/571146426203426816

https://twitter.com/swmckewonOWH/status/571147006590263296

The point is, we will ultimately judge both coaches after about 5-6 years. But this year's team is worse than any in Doc's first 3 years, and if Miles has another few seasons like this one, his legacy will be no better than Doc's.

This post was edited on 2/27 10:53 AM by Harry Caray

Citing Sammy Mac is hilarious. Sadler homer, not a fan of Miles and is still hitting the back of his head under Harbaugh's desk. Yep, should be an easy picture to get.

And for anyone to act like Sadler took over a worse mess, GTFO.

Originally posted by Harry Caray:

https://twitter.com/swmckewonOWH/status/571146426203426816

https://twitter.com/swmckewonOWH/status/571147006590263296

The point is, we will ultimately judge both coaches after about 5-6 years. But this year's team is worse than any in Doc's first 3 years, and if Miles has another few seasons like this one, his legacy will be no better than Doc's.

This post was edited on 2/27 10:53 AM by Harry Caray
SOS (per kenpom)

07- 65
08- 73
09- 59

13- 5
14- 22
15- 38

Hey kudos to Doc for playing a much easier schedule...and you are going to have to do better than Sam. Sorry, his opinion doesn't mean squat to me. Just look at his early season tweets on Creighton...and have a nice laugh. Nebraska got a SIX SEED in the 2009 NIT. That means there was an upwards of 18 teams ahead of us to receive an at large bid. Even with a win over the Aggies..we weren't close to making the big dance.

A&M got in the tourney as a 9-seed, beating them would have put us ahead of them in the Big 12 standings in a tie for 4th-place, and also an easier game in the conference tournament.

As for Strength of Schedule, you failed to mention that our non-conference SOS is 294th this year....and we still managed to lose to 4 of them, including Incarnate Word and Creighton at home.

Originally posted by Harry Caray:
A&M got in the tourney as a 9-seed, beating them would have put us ahead of them in the Big 12 standings in a tie for 4th-place, and also an easier game in the conference tournament.

As for Strength of Schedule, you failed to mention that our non-conference SOS is 294th this year....and we still managed to lose to 4 of them, including Incarnate Word and Creighton at home.
And in the Doc's "one game away" year our non-con SOS was 312. What's your point? Does the mighty Maryland Baltimore County Retrievers ring a bell that year? A far far far worse lose than either Incarnate Word or Creighton.

Yes, we would have been tied for 4th place with a boat load of other teams. We lost to a 5-11 Baylor team in the conference tournament. An NCAA team regardless beats that team. Again..we were not "one win" away...us not even getting a home game in the NIT proves that. You and Sam would have a point if we didn't make the NCAA's last year, or win 11 games in the Big Ten, or sign two top 100 recruits this year. But Miles did all of those things.
This post was edited on 2/27 11:57 AM by huskerbaseball13

Talk out of my ass??? I provided Huskerbaseball13 with numerous examples of how coaches have turned around programs in 2 years or less which refuted his original statement. No more and no less. No need to add anything else to this thread, it speaks for itself.

Tim,

I'm also not going to get into trading personal insults with YOU or how YOU perceive YOU think YOU win debates.

Have a good day!

GBR!!!

No Charlie, your list was a response to SeaOfRed, unless you quoted him for some unknown reason.

Take your own advice and learn how to follow a thread. Or, don't pop off next time talking out of your ass.

P.S.
"Following a thread" would also mean responding to questions, in order. Which you didn't and we both know why.

Talk out of my ass??? I provided Huskerbaseball13 with numerous examples of how coaches have turned around programs in 2 years or less which refuted his original statement. No more and no less. No need to add anything else to this thread, it speaks for itself.

Tim,

I'm also not going to get into trading personal insults with YOU or how YOU perceive YOU think YOU win debates.

Have a good day!

GBR!!!
That wasn't even the point.....but, anyways you failed. That's evident by some of the names and programs you threw out. There wasn't one name on that list outside of maybe..Ernie Kent that you could correlate to Tim Miles and the job he took over.

Tim,

Have a good day!

GBR!!!
Realistically we cant really compare too many teams to NU as only NW has been shut out of winning a game in the NCAA tourney besides us. I think we have to suspend belief a bit when we do comparisons program to program as it is not realistic. We have to just compare teams to teams and how long it took xyz coach to turn the program around.

I say this because HTO scoffed earlier about comparing what Huggins did at Cincy or other programs did at non P5 schools, but when you do that you totally discount the fact that a place like Cincy (before huggins took over) was not a power house type of team, oh sure they had some success back in the days of Oscar Robinson, but that was 50 plus years ago...lol I think it was an even bigger job for Huggins to turn around a program like Cincy than it would be a Nebraska because 1. They dont play in a P5 conference or didnt when he took over. 2. had no bball recent history to sell to recruits. 3. Certainly had no where near the facilities that NU currently has to try and lure recruits in.

I think you can make favorable comparisons with some teams to NU even though they are not in a p5 conference as far as how difficult turning a program around can be and the successes or failures.

I mean come on Butler? VMI? I mean places like that, have no where near the swagger as a p5 school does, even a bad p5 school, or they shouldnt...unless a guy went in and turned them around.

Hell look at what Tark did at UNLV. They were in the PCAA conference, then in the Big West and he was able to bring in players and turn that program completely around and make it a national contender for a good many years.

Just saying.

I love how HuggyBear dresses for games! That is the best part...that an all of his players looked like they lived in the weight room...with needles stuck in their ass.

Originally posted by JohnRossEwing:
What HuggyBear did at Cincy was amazing.
Do you remember HOW Huggy did that? That won't fly in the B1G. The guy was one step ahead of the NCAA. There's a reason he's had problems. I'm not sure if Huggins is a great coach or just great at skirting rules and academic standards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT