ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeyes with their hands full

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw great potential by the offense. Much improved over last year in terms of skill positions and play calling. Defense will be OK. It isn't built for ISUs style of offense. Plus, Park is a surprisingly good QB. Iowa is much better equipped for the B1G. Anyone with some football knowledge who looked at this game objectively saw a decent team in Iowa with some areas for improvement. See you guys in November.

Really? The legislature mandates the series? Never heard that one before. Got a reference for that?
I know they mandate that Iowa and Iowa St each must play Northern Iowa every other year, not too sure about the Iowa St series but I will research.

I know they mandate that Iowa and Iowa St each must play Northern Iowa every other year, not too sure about the Iowa St series but I will research.

Yes the legislature made them start the series up again in the late 70s'.

UNI and ISU dont have to play each other, they just choose to.

Iowa hasn't played Northern Iowa since 2014, although they are scheduled to play next season.

Yes the legislature made them start the series up again in the late 70s'.

UNI and ISU dont have to play each other, they just choose to.

I had read that the legislature is what re-started the series in the 1970s. I haven't seen anything that says they have to keep it going.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
I had read that the legislature is what re-started the series in the 1970s. I haven't seen anything that says they have to keep it going.

I've always been told that legally we had to play it. Upon further research, I found this:

Politicians, including state legislator Bill Reichardt, a former Hawkeye football great, called for the state’s two largest universities to get back together on the football field. Lawmakers threatened to legislate the series’ renewal if it didn’t happen, but thankfully the standoff didn’t get that far.

Athletics directors Bump Elliott at Iowa and Lou McCullough at Iowa State signed the contract in 1971, and athletics directors after them have done the same.

So I admit that I was wrong there.

Also - to the point of Nebraska's dominance over Iowa in the all time series, the Huskers are 9-8 against Iowa since the start of the second world war. The teams didn't play between 1947 and 1979, so when you guys throw out that 29-15 number, I take it with a grain of salt like when Minnesota talks about their 10 National Championships or whatever. True, it did happen, but it happened before man walked on the moon and people still marveled at the newfangled forward pass.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-why-big-game-almost-didnt-restart/632784001/

Last edited:
I liked the title of this thread: Hawkeyes with their hands full.

And to think they have such small hands.

No they dont and most Iowa fans would rather get rid of it all together or at the least modify it. I think there is a lot of pressure from the board of Regents to keep playing it and that is why IA hasn't made the move. They still need their stamp of approval for athletic department spending.

I would be fine with a 2 on 2 off scenario to give both teams more freedom of scheduling games that might benefit their respective programs. IA for recruiting in certain areas and ISU for scheduling a sure win to get closer to bowl games.

I've always been told that legally we had to play it. Upon further research, I found this:

Politicians, including state legislator Bill Reichardt, a former Hawkeye football great, called for the state’s two largest universities to get back together on the football field. Lawmakers threatened to legislate the series’ renewal if it didn’t happen, but thankfully the standoff didn’t get that far.

Athletics directors Bump Elliott at Iowa and Lou McCullough at Iowa State signed the contract in 1971, and athletics directors after them have done the same.

So I admit that I was wrong there.

Also - to the point of Nebraska's dominance over Iowa in the all time series, the Huskers are 9-8 against Iowa since the start of the second world war. The teams didn't play between 1947 and 1979, so when you guys throw out that 29-15 number, I take it with a grain of salt like when Minnesota talks about their 10 National Championships or whatever. True, it did happen, but it happened before man walked on the moon and people still marveled at the newfangled forward pass.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-why-big-game-almost-didnt-restart/632784001/
I too laugh at the 29-15-3. We are talking about including 19 games that took place over 100 years ago.

I too laugh at the 29-15-3. We are talking about including 19 games that took place over 100 years ago.

Yeah we only want to decide when we look at the history books.. you guys decide what records matter and which ones dont..when to count a win or not to.... seriously

You all should know by now that finding an Iowa fan with a consistent take on college football is nearly impossible. Logic, statistics and facts are lost on them.
Never has one fan base taken more pride in a single win and kudos to them, it must have been rough on them when Nebraska joined the B1G and promptly beat them 3 out of 4 giving the huskers a 5 out of 6 advantage over KF. KF needs 3 straight wins to get on the plus side and that's not happening and it gulls Iowa fan.
I realize most of you don't care about Iowa, but man their board routinely has multiple threads about Nebraska, it's comical how often they say they don't care what's going on with Husker football.
I occasionally root for other B1G teams in the non conference and it would be easy to root for Iowa minus the insufferable, disrespectful majority of their fans I've met.

You all should know by now that finding an Iowa fan with a consistent take on college football is nearly impossible. Logic, statistics and facts are lost on them.
Never has one fan base taken more pride in a single win and kudos to them, it must have been rough on them when Nebraska joined the B1G and promptly beat them 3 out of 4 giving the huskers a 5 out of 6 advantage over KF. KF needs 3 straight wins to get on the plus side and that's not happening and it gulls Iowa fan.
I realize most of you don't care about Iowa, but man their board routinely has multiple threads about Nebraska, it's comical how often they say they don't care what's going on with Husker football.
I occasionally root for other B1G teams in the non conference and it would be easy to root for Iowa minus the insufferable, disrespectful majority of their fans I've met.

and it would be easy to root for Iowa minus the insufferable, disrespectful majority of their fans I've met. Wow really???? I have lived and worked in both states & can tell you that there are no more insufferable, disrespectful fans then the ones I met in Lincoln! Now as far as I can tell both fans bases have there share of asshats and that is to be expected. But most "real" Iowa fans understand that most years we hope to be 7-5 to 10-2 with the occasional 6-6 and 11-1 thrown in. Now Nebby fans always think they will be 9-3 to 12-0 and always be on the cusp of playing for a National title. They don't understand that this is no longer the 90's and playing for a National title isn't a given any more.

and it would be easy to root for Iowa minus the insufferable, disrespectful majority of their fans I've met. Wow really???? I have lived and worked in both states & can tell you that there are no more insufferable, disrespectful fans then the ones I met in Lincoln! Now as far as I can tell both fans bases have there share of asshats and that is to be expected. But most "real" Iowa fans understand that most years we hope to be 7-5 to 10-2 with the occasional 6-6 and 11-1 thrown in. Now Nebby fans always think they will be 9-3 to 12-0 and always be on the cusp of playing for a National title. They don't understand that this is no longer the 90's and playing for a National title isn't a given any more.

Ah the "real" Iowa fan. The one that spends their time on a Nebraska free board talking about Nebraska's storied history rather than in their own board discussing their football team. Is this the real fan you speak of.

You miserable people sit and wait in the weeds for something negative to happen at Nebraska so you can pounce. You're like the little cousin that isn't really very good at football but wants to criticize the big cousin for his failures and offer advice for how to fix it.

Oh, by all means, Nebraska owns Iowa all time. Those wins prior to the Model T still count. Congrats. But in the last 75 years, you're a game above .500 in the series. just putting that out there.

Actually, in the modern ERA we are 8-4 against Iowa. If you would like to compare National Titles and Conference Titles during that time...let me know. And please spare me how tough the Big 10 was during that time.

No!!!!
We've lowered our expectations to Conference Champions every year, so there...

I honestly don't think I've ever seen an Iowa fan try and compare history seriously. Nebraska has a lot more history than Iowa does and it's not even debatable.

Here is the part that gets me. I'll see a Facebook post about Iowa on say....BTN and it's littered with Husker fans talking about how they don't compare to Nebraska because Nebraska has "trophies". What the hell does that have to do with Iowa's season? Actually, what does it have to do with Nebraska's season?

Anytime I see a post from a friend on Facebook about Iowa, you can bet it's followed by a Husker fan saying they suck because they don't have any trophies. Then of course, the only response is to say 40-10 or 3 of 4 because those have more bearings on this season than any trophy case.

Reactions: LM..Hawk
I honestly don't think I've ever seen an Iowa fan try and compare history seriously. Nebraska has a lot more history than Iowa does and it's not even debatable.

Here is the part that gets me. I'll see a Facebook post about Iowa on say....BTN and it's littered with Husker fans talking about how they don't compare to Nebraska because Nebraska has "trophies". What the hell does that have to do with Iowa's season? Actually, what does it have to do with Nebraska's season?

Anytime I see a post from a friend on Facebook about Iowa, you can bet it's followed by a Husker fan saying they suck because they don't have any trophies. Then of course, the only response is to say 40-10 or 3 of 4 because those have more bearings on this season than any trophy case.

Sorry but I'm throwing a flag here. 15 yard penalty for throwing out a cogent, rational argument filled with logic and common sense.

Unfortunately amigo we will never be free from what you described because that would call for a maturity level most posters guilty of this will never attain.

Yeah, you're right...it's Nebraska fans that are only irrational. Yeah, Iowa fans won't compare history...they just try to discredit Nebraska's history which I would say is worse. Tell me again how weak the Big 8 was and that's the only reason Nebraska's history is far greater than Iowa's. That's Iowa fans MO.

At the end of the day who cares? Currently Iowa has the bragging rights. They should be able to talk crap until the game is played. Nebraska at this point has no comeback. As stated above, Nebraska has more history and that is a given. If you compare the records over the last 17 years they basically say the same thing. Both are essentially 8-4 teams that need to strive for better because they have seen better.

At the end of the day who cares? Currently Iowa has the bragging rights. They should be able to talk crap until the game is played. Nebraska at this point has no comeback. As stated above, Nebraska has more history and that is a given. If you compare the records over the last 17 years they basically say the same thing. Both are essentially 8-4 teams that need to strive for better because they have seen better.
This ^^^^^^^^ times 100

I came into the rivalry REALLY hating Nebraska growing up in SWIowa. After 6-7 years of actually playing the game and being around Nebraska fans, it has been a great experience as your fans have been great in person and in Lincoln even. Sometimes familiarity can breed more respect from both sides.

I came into the rivalry REALLY hating Nebraska growing up in SWIowa. After 6-7 years of actually playing the game and being around Nebraska fans, it has been a great experience as your fans have been great in person and in Lincoln even. Sometimes familiarity can breed more respect from both sides.
Same here. Message boards aren't much of an indication of the real fans you meet in person. I've been to Lincoln the past three Iowa games and have zero complaints. Two years ago I was more embarrassed by a small group of Iowa fans flipping off fans during the fourth quarter.

Reactions: timnsun and LZZOSO

Actually almost all Nebraska fans don't expect to be contending for a national championship every year......that is a tired argument spewed by opposing fan bases. I've perused your message board, and I'd venture 90% or more of Hawk fans that have come to Lincoln for a game have had a great time and have been treated very, very well. Sure, there are obnoxious online fans that seem to carry the majority opinion, but that's hardly the case. Most Husker fans realize what the current environment of college football is. They just want a competitive team, and a team that is in contention for a division title every year (not national title). And if winning your division (and conference) is not a goal every year, then why even field a team? Nebraska's standards are high, but they are not outrageous like a lot of Iowa and other fans like to project.

Yeah, you're right...it's Nebraska fans that are only irrational. Yeah, Iowa fans won't compare history...they just try to discredit Nebraska's history which I would say is worse. Tell me again how weak the Big 8 was and that's the only reason Nebraska's history is far greater than Iowa's. That's Iowa fans MO.
Quote where I said Nebraska fans are the only irrational fans. I'll wait.

Are Iowa fans trying to discredit Nebraska's history the same as Nebraska fans trying to discredit Iowa being 12-0 two seasons ago?

Quote where I said Nebraska fans are the only irrational fans. I'll wait.

Are Iowa fans trying to discredit Nebraska's history the same as Nebraska fans trying to discredit Iowa being 12-0 two seasons ago?

No need to quote...all you have to do is read a few post in this thread from you. As if, its Nebraska fan that's always throwing the shade and poor Iowa fan is innocent. Why are you bringing up two seasons ago? I could have sworn living in the past is a big no no

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT